Sponsored by:

Thinkdiag Magic

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2024, 08:32 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken718B
in order to reassign buttons are you saying that you need to take apart the console? If so what needs to be done to the buttons? Does this only do something if you install the proper exhaust? Any other progress with sport plus activation?
I had to take apart the switch console to be able operate buttons that had blanks in the front cover. By taking apart the console I seperated the front where all the buttons are and the back that has the rubber buttons that are on the circuit board, that way I could push any of the buttons on the board for testing. I then coded in A/C under BKE buttons and set the 3rd button on the right to operated the "sports exhaust". After restarting the car pushing that button would operate the COV. Also when I turned on "sport" it would automatically turn on "sports exhaust". So I could operate it but only with the dissasembled switch console. Once I put the console back together the 3rd button on the circuit board is now covered by a blank button. It functioned as it should just not with the PSE muffler. I'm trying to hunt down a PSE button to not have to pay for entire console switch kit.
Old 05-23-2024, 09:22 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

Confirmed my Coding for PSE is correct, and my vacuum lines are all good.. Its 100% the Change over valve.

Glad you and i had this chat Joserpaq. Seems like no one else on rennlist has posted about being able to code PSE at home. Should probably be added to the Spreadsheet
Old 05-23-2024, 11:22 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by RwdConnor
Confirmed my Coding for PSE is correct, and my vacuum lines are all good.. Its 100% the Change over valve.

Glad you and i had this chat Joserpaq. Seems like no one else on rennlist has posted about being able to code PSE at home. Should probably be added to the Spreadsheet
Please share how you did it
Old 05-24-2024, 02:40 AM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Please share how you did it
Basically the only thing you need to do, is install the button and code it. (Assuming you have a Carrera 2/4 S) If you have a Base, then its ALOT more involved (Running the entire valve vaccum line kit)

ThinkDiag steps are
Air Conditioning>Brush/Hidden>Coding>Porsche sport exhaust enabled (Yes)
(I assume i got the order correct, but its found in the AC section)

Now, depending on where you Exhaust button is placed, You can go into the BKE section and put the button where ever you please.

From my discovery, i do NOT think you need to purchase the entire control panel from Suncoast. They say its needed, but you can pop ANY of the blank buttons off, and you'll find that theyre switches underneath. If only we can find the exhaust button separately, thats the problem.
Old 05-24-2024, 03:24 AM
Ken718B
Banned

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Basically the only thing you need to do, is install the button and code it. (Assuming you have a Carrera 2/4 S) If you have a Base, then its ALOT more involved (Running the entire valve vaccum line kit)

ThinkDiag steps are

Now, depending on where you Exhaust button is placed, You can go into the BKE section and put the button where ever you please.

From my discovery, i do NOT think you need to purchase the entire control panel from Suncoast. They say its needed, but you can pop ANY of the blank buttons off, and you'll find that theyre switches underneath. If only we can find the exhaust button separately, thats the problem.
Thank you. I have a 718 S. How do I determine if I have the valve vacuum? On a 718, the joker button is confirmed to work with sport exhaust so it is possible that I can activate it without installing the button.
Old 05-24-2024, 03:30 AM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Thank you. I have a 718 S. How do I determine if I have the valve vacuum? On a 718, the joker button is confirmed to work with sport exhaust so it is possible that I can activate it without installing the button.
What you might be able to try, is assigning the PSE button on a blank button on the center console, and then assign that joker button to the PSE exhaust switch.

No idea if this works, but lets hypothesize that the joker button needs another button to go off. Not sure tho.

Edit, No idea on the 718s. Im new to Porsche (but not cars) and i havent looked into the similarities between the two.
Old 05-24-2024, 08:44 AM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

ThinkDiag steps are

These are the same steps I took. Like Connor mentioned there is no need to purchase an entire switch console since you can program any button to activate the PSE system. Issue would be sourcing just the PSE button to put in place of the blank. The button does operate the COV but it has little advantage over the factory mode on an -S that operates based on load/speed/rpm becuase we still have the larger rear muffler that would also need to be swapped for PSE rear muffler.

Last edited by joserpaq; 05-24-2024 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-24-2024, 09:54 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 135 Posts

From my discovery, i do NOT think you need to purchase the entire control panel from Suncoast. They say its needed, but you can pop ANY of the blank buttons off, and you'll find that they're switches underneath. If only we can find the exhaust button separately, that's the problem.
I've been under the impression that the consoles themselves were programmed with what commands to send out on their LIN bus connection. That and several functions also include the console being sent a LIN bus command to turn on/off the LED next to the button. I may be misinformed, and it's just a correlation stored in the control module for what to do when a specific button 'position' on the panel is pressed. I've not snooped the LIN bus commands.

I have not pulled apart the panel in a 991 but did have one from a 958.2 (Cayenne). It would seem reasonable to assume the internals of these button consoles are similar.

Note the blank pads on the right two buttons lacking LEDs soldered to them:

I'm not sure if the console would 'care' if it was sent on/off commands for an LED that's not present.

The 'rubber' membrane over the buttons had all six pads underneath for closing the circuit. Thus the position would operate if you changed out the plastic button that activates it in the cover piece.

I recall seeing at least one supplier online that had PSE buttons. Note the chrome piece with a hole for the clear part to project the light up from the LED.

Old 05-24-2024, 10:03 AM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 559 Likes on 298 Posts

When I did mine I had to purchase a new control panel. Surprisingly, there were no "spare" buttons underneath the blanks.
Old 05-24-2024, 10:26 AM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wkearney99
I've been under the impression that the consoles themselves were programmed with what commands to send out on their LIN bus connection. That and several functions also include the console being sent a LIN bus command to turn on/off the LED next to the button. I may be misinformed, and it's just a correlation stored in the control module for what to do when a specific button 'position' on the panel is pressed. I've not snooped the LIN bus commands.

I have not pulled apart the panel in a 991 but did have one from a 958.2 (Cayenne). It would seem reasonable to assume the internals of these button consoles are similar.

Note the blank pads on the right two buttons lacking LEDs soldered to them:

I'm not sure if the console would 'care' if it was sent on/off commands for an LED that's not present.

The 'rubber' membrane over the buttons had all six pads underneath for closing the circuit. Thus the position would operate if you changed out the plastic button that activates it in the cover piece.

I recall seeing at least one supplier online that had PSE buttons. Note the chrome piece with a hole for the clear part to project the light up from the LED.

If anyone knows where to get that PSE button alone that info would be appreciated. I saw one listed on aliexpress for $92 but at that cost I'd rather buy entire module.

Last edited by joserpaq; 05-24-2024 at 10:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
wkearney99 (05-24-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 02:29 PM
tommi_han
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joserpaq
I had to take apart the switch console to be able operate buttons that had blanks in the front cover. By taking apart the console I seperated the front where all the buttons are and the back that has the rubber buttons that are on the circuit board, that way I could push any of the buttons on the board for testing. I then coded in A/C under BKE buttons and set the 3rd button on the right to operated the "sports exhaust". After restarting the car pushing that button would operate the COV. Also when I turned on "sport" it would automatically turn on "sports exhaust". So I could operate it but only with the dissasembled switch console. Once I put the console back together the 3rd button on the circuit board is now covered by a blank button. It functioned as it should just not with the PSE muffler. I'm trying to hunt down a PSE button to not have to pay for entire console switch kit.
Do you think it's possible to code the console PSE button to activate the Soul PP exhaust as a switch instead of using the RF remote or homelink?
Old 05-24-2024, 02:54 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tommi_han
Do you think it's possible to code the console PSE button to activate the Soul PP exhaust as a switch instead of using the RF remote or homelink?
Im going to assume you have a non S car. (With no valves from factory)

It wouldnt be possible to code the Soul Exhaust switch to the panel as its a wire connection and not an RF connection. TBH, i used the homelink with the exhaust box i had and it was pretty cool. Problem is i have 2 garage doors i need programed haha
Old 05-24-2024, 03:37 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tommi_han
You'd have to have the Porsche part that pulls the vacuum. It'd take tubing off the intake (COV?) to an electrically operated vacuum switch and then tubing from that to the Soul valve(s). I'm sure the folks from Soul could give you specifics.

I'm leaning in that direction (Targa 4 without PSE). I'd like 'more noise' but want it controllable with the center console button.
Old 05-24-2024, 03:39 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Catharpin
When I did mine I had to purchase a new control panel. Surprisingly, there were no "spare" buttons underneath the blanks.
You mean you opened the console module and it had no circuit board areas under the switch positions? I realize the upper BUTTON plastics won't be the movable kind, but I'm curious about what's under the plastics.
Old 05-24-2024, 04:34 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wkearney99
You mean you opened the console module and it had no circuit board areas under the switch positions? I realize the upper BUTTON plastics won't be the movable kind, but I'm curious about what's under the plastics.
under each of the black caps is a switch and LED. No matter the console. I dont think Porsche would make 10 different configurations of the same part. The blank buttons are larger so that you dont actuate the switch underneath them. I confirmed this yesterday when putting my new $300 suncoast console together haha.

Quick Reply: Thinkdiag Magic