Sponsored by:

Thinkdiag Magic

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2024, 07:42 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken718B
I would appreciate it if you would me let know what coding you used so far to get sport plus to work.

However, it is possible that getting sport chrono to work on the PCM needs the activation code. I would look to see if I could find any codes in the PCM but you have a different PCM than I have.
I requested a code for the PCM since I think yor are right. I entered a code into PCM using an image of one I found online that was not coded to my VIN just to see what the app said and it said invalid so I'm assuming with a good code I'll be able to activate SC on the PCM.
I think this has been working for a while becuase I did a launch since i have Cobb PDK tune and I saw the launch dialog come up on the MF display. I sent and email to Cobb and they told me that launch would work but I shouldn't see the "Launch Control" come up on the display. I couldn't get it working before for 2 reason. First it will only code to left side button two and second you need to restart the car after coding for it to work. All i did was search for sports plus and chrono in 'instrument cluster", "DME", "AC" and "PCM" and changed to either "open" or "1". Them programmed it searching for "BKE" and selecting "Sports+" instead of PASAM for left button #2 and "Sport Exhaust" instead of auto on/off for right button #2. Have you tried programming it to that button? Also note that several people have said they couln't get it to work on the AC even with the code on newer models. My 991.1S is a 2012 so that may be why it took it on AC without any code. I never did any feature activation with Sports+. I do assume that I need to do that feature activation with a code for PCM and MF cluster to switch to sports chrono mode since right now I'm just seeing "Sports+" on MF display and I can obviously tell it's modified the car. Not that I'm going to use it much since it's not really an option for street driving but it will be nice to install by switch console with missing features. Sport+ and PSE.

Last edited by joserpaq; 05-28-2024 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-28-2024, 08:03 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by joserpaq
I requested a code for the PCM since I think yor are right. I entered a code into PCM using an image of one I found online that was not coded to my VIN just to see what the app said and it said invalid so I'm assuming with a good code I'll be able to activate SC on the PCM.
I think this has been working for a while becuase I did a launch since i have Cobb PDK tune and I saw the launch dialog come up on the MF display. I sent and email to Cobb and they told me that launch would work but I shouldn't see the "Launch Control" come up on the display. I couldn't get it working before for 2 reason. First it will only code to left side button two and second you need to restart the car after coding for it to work. All i did was search for sports plus and chrono in 'instrument cluster", "DME", "AC" and "PCM" and changed to either "open" or "1". Them programmed it searching for "BKE" and selecting "Sports+" instead of PASAM for left button #2 and "Sport Exhaust" instead of auto on/off for right button #2. Have you tried programming it to that button? Also note that several people have said they couln't get it to work on the AC even with the code on newer models. My 991.1S is a 2012 so that may be why it took it on AC without any code. I never did any feature activation with Sports+. I do assume that I need to do that feature activation with a code for PCM and MF cluster to switch to sports chrono mode since right now I'm just seeing "Sports+" on MF display and I can obviously tell it's modified the car. Not that I'm going to use it much since it's not really an option for street driving but it will be nice to install by switch console with missing features. Sport+ and PSE.
I tried searching a month or so ago and changed all of the codes and then tried to activate with the joker button. I have not tried taking the console apart and using one of the existing buttons. Are you moving the existing buttons to the proper location in order to get the button to work? If you are not moving the button to the proper spot, why do you have to take the console apart? Did you keep a record of the codes you changed? I just want to make sure I did not miss anything. Did you change the code for Coding value: Equipment Sport Chrono Package” in front end electronics that Jim981cs mentioned? I do not have that code in my car.
Old 05-28-2024, 08:28 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

I tried searching a month or so ago and changed all of the codes and then tried to activate with the joker button. I have not tried taking the console apart and using one of the existing buttons. Are you moving the existing buttons to the proper location in order to get the button to work? If you are not moving the button to the proper spot, why do you have to take the console apart? Did you keep a record of the codes you changed? I just want to make sure I did not miss anything. Did you change the code for Coding value: Equipment Sport Chrono Package” in front end electronics that Jim981cs mentioned? I do not have that code in my car.
I tried that as well and couldn't get it to work with Joker button. I didn't swap out any buttons. Right now my PASM button that has that symbol on it and is located on left second button down is controlling "sports+" so I have no way to turn PASM on/off temporarily. I just ordered the new switch console so I'll code other buttons when I get it. You can try this with no hardware changes. Just go the AC/BKE and code LEFT/Button 2 to "Sports+". Assuming you have something already coded to Button 2 on the left. If you don't and just have a dummy there you would need to pull out the switch console and seperate the bottom part of the console from the top to expose all the runner buttons on the colsole board. Then program Left/button 2 for sports+ and push the rubber button on the board with the console dissasembled to test. Not too tough to do, thats how I initially got PSE to work.
Old 05-28-2024, 10:34 PM
Ken718B
Banned

I tried that as well and couldn't get it to work with Joker button. I didn't swap out any buttons. Right now my PASM button that has that symbol on it and is located on left second button down is controlling "sports+" so I have no way to turn PASM on/off temporarily. I just ordered the new switch console so I'll code other buttons when I get it. You can try this with no hardware changes. Just go the AC/BKE and code LEFT/Button 2 to "Sports+". Assuming you have something already coded to Button 2 on the left. If you don't and just have a dummy there you would need to pull out the switch console and seperate the bottom part of the console from the top to expose all the runner buttons on the colsole board. Then program Left/button 2 for sports+ and push the rubber button on the board with the console dissasembled to test. Not too tough to do, thats how I initially got PSE to work.
I tried it but it did not work. I changed a bunch of codes in the instrument cluster and remapped my PSM button (which is left button 2) in the air conditioning module to sport plus. However, I did not see any codes in DME, air conditioning or PSM that needed to be changed. Did you change anything in these modules?

Also, remember that sport plus on my 718 used the button on the steering wheel from the factory. I left the coding for now to see if it maybe the car needs to sit for a while.
Old 05-28-2024, 10:38 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

I tried it but it did not work. I changed a bunch of codes in the instrument cluster and remapped my PSM button (which is left button 2) in the air conditioning module to sport plus. However, I did not see any codes in DME, air conditioning or PSM that needed to be changed. Did you change anything in these modules?

Also, remember that sport plus on my 718 used the button on the steering wheel from the factory. I left the coding for now to see if it maybe the car needs to sit for a while.
I found sports exhaust in DME but nothing there for sports plus. I'm not familiar with the console setup on the 718. Is the factory location for sports+ also 2nd button from top on the left?
Old 05-28-2024, 11:48 PM
Ken718B
Banned

I found sports exhaust in DME but nothing there for sports plus. I'm not familiar with the console setup on the 718. Is the factory location for sports+ also 2nd button from top on the left?
718s have the sport plus button on the steering wheel. I don’t believe they also have a console button so there is no factory coding.

Did you enable the launch control and three individual code menus in the instrument cluster?
Old 05-29-2024, 12:21 AM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

718s have the sport plus button on the steering wheel. I don’t believe they also have a console button so there is no factory coding.

Did you enable the launch control and three individual code menus in the instrument cluster?
The only visual indication i get right now with sports+ is on is the symbol on the cluster just below where the sport symbol would come up. I have 991.2 MF wheel so no sport or sport+ LED on the wheel, I did enable the sports+ on the instrument cluster.
Old 05-29-2024, 08:59 PM
Ken718B
Banned

The only visual indication i get right now with sports+ is on is the symbol on the cluster just below where the sport symbol would come up. I have 991.2 MF wheel so no sport or sport+ LED on the wheel, I did enable the sports+ on the instrument cluster.
Still no luck. While the ability to map sport plus to the console buttons is still in the car, this was not used on my 718 by the factory so it is possible that it no longer works. It is also possible that I just need an activation code.

I also had a launch display code in the electronic steering wheel module.
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2024, 09:02 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Still no luck. While the ability to map sport plus to the console buttons is still in the car, this was not used on my 718 by the factory so it is possible that it no longer works. It is also possible that I just need an activation code.

I also had a launch display code in the electronic steering wheel module.
I've been trying with no luck to purchase an activation code for the PCM but the only company that responded said they no longer offer Sports Chrono codes so I can't confirm if the code would help. Ken looks like you may be able to have sport+ active but no way to turn it on or off since you can't map it to anything.
Old 05-29-2024, 10:14 PM
Ken718B
Banned

I've been trying with no luck to purchase an activation code for the PCM but the only company that responded said they no longer offer Sports Chrono codes so I can't confirm if the code would help. Ken looks like you may be able to have sport+ active but no way to turn it on or off since you can't map it to anything.
I tried mapping it to the sport button (first button on the left) and psm (second button on the left) and no luck with either. What makes you think it is active and the button isn’t triggering sport plus as opposed to it not being active because I don’t have an activation code?

With the coding when I switched between normal and sport mode the individual menu in the mfd would pop up to tell me which mode I was in. Is that correct?

Last edited by Ken718B; 05-29-2024 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-29-2024, 11:02 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

I tried mapping it to the sport button (first button on the left) and psm (second button on the left) and no luck with either. What makes you think it is active and the button isn’t triggering sport plus as opposed to it not being active because I don’t have an activation code?

With the coding when I switched between normal and sport mode the individual menu in the mfd would pop up to tell me which mode I was in. Is that correct?
In my case I don't see any change on MF display for sport or sport+. I get the LED on the cluster that says "Sport" (button 1 on left) or "Sport Plus" (button 2 on left). Pushing either button will also activate PSE and change cars characteristics so I know it's working. I'm assuming I got the "Sport Plus" working but the "Sports Chrono" function on the MF display and on the PCM are not working. I don't have another 991.1 with SC to compare it to but I believe I should get the Chrono on both MF display and PCM when Sports plus is turned on.
Old 05-30-2024, 01:03 AM
Ken718B
Banned

In my case I don't see any change on MF display for sport or sport+. I get the LED on the cluster that says "Sport" (button 1 on left) or "Sport Plus" (button 2 on left). Pushing either button will also activate PSE and change cars characteristics so I know it's working. I'm assuming I got the "Sport Plus" working but the "Sports Chrono" function on the MF display and on the PCM are not working. I don't have another 991.1 with SC to compare it to but I believe I should get the Chrono on both MF display and PCM when Sports plus is turned on.
I changed all of the following codes except for the last one which I have not tried yet:

Instrument Cluster: Board computer display configuration key 2 – BC configuration byte 19 – BC-role chrono = Open {Default: Shutdown}
Instrument Cluster: Board computer display configuration factory setting – BC configuration byte 19 – BC-role Chrono = Open {Default: Shutdown}
Instrument Cluster: Board computer menu configuration – Board computer menu configuration - byte 7 – Chrono = 1 {Default: 0}
Instrument Cluster: Further codings -Further codings byte 3 – Additional display segment with “sport plus” = Yes {Default: No}
Instrument Cluster: Board computer display configuration key 2 – BC configuration byte 12 – SPORT PLUS = Open {Default: Shutdown}
Instrument Cluster: Board computer display configuration factory setting – BC configuration byte 12 – SPORT PLUS = Open {Default: Shutdown}
Instrument Cluster: Board computer menu configuration 2 – Board computer menu configuration 2 byte 3 – Individual Sport Plus = 1 {Default: 0}
Instrument Cluster: Board computer menu configuration 2 – Board computer menu configuration 2 byte 0 – Sport Individual = 1 {Default: 0}
Instrument Cluster: developmetn interfaces - Default dumping STD_1- CHRONO = 1 {Default: 0} [NOT SURE ABOUT THIS ONE]
Air Conditioning: BKE key field key assignment – Left button 2 = SPORT Plus {Default: PSM Sport (PSM Off without Delay}
Electronic Steering Wheel: Coding value – Coding byte 1 – Launch Control display = Yes {Default: No} [This code may relate to the button on the steering wheel which the 991 does not have]

Check to see if you changed all of these codes to see if you get the individual menu.

I may still be missing something because the first code keeps resetting itself to shutdown. This may be the same issue we had with the joker button. Did you have this issue? Do I have to save the settings to key memory?
Old 05-30-2024, 07:14 AM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

I changed all of the following codes except for the last one which I have not tried yet:

Instrument Cluster: Board computer display configuration key 2 – BC configuration byte 19 – BC-role chrono = Open {Default: Shutdown}
Instrument Cluster: Board computer display configuration factory setting – BC configuration byte 19 – BC-role Chrono = Open {Default: Shutdown}
Instrument Cluster: Board computer menu configuration – Board computer menu configuration - byte 7 – Chrono = 1 {Default: 0}
Instrument Cluster: Further codings -Further codings byte 3 – Additional display segment with “sport plus” = Yes {Default: No}
Instrument Cluster: Board computer display configuration key 2 – BC configuration byte 12 – SPORT PLUS = Open {Default: Shutdown}
Instrument Cluster: Board computer display configuration factory setting – BC configuration byte 12 – SPORT PLUS = Open {Default: Shutdown}
Instrument Cluster: Board computer menu configuration 2 – Board computer menu configuration 2 byte 3 – Individual Sport Plus = 1 {Default: 0}
Instrument Cluster: Board computer menu configuration 2 – Board computer menu configuration 2 byte 0 – Sport Individual = 1 {Default: 0}
Instrument Cluster: developmetn interfaces - Default dumping STD_1- CHRONO = 1 {Default: 0} [NOT SURE ABOUT THIS ONE]
Air Conditioning: BKE key field key assignment – Left button 2 = SPORT Plus {Default: PSM Sport (PSM Off without Delay}
Electronic Steering Wheel: Coding value – Coding byte 1 – Launch Control display = Yes {Default: No} [This code may relate to the button on the steering wheel which the 991 does not have]

Check to see if you changed all of these codes to see if you get the individual menu.

I may still be missing something because the first code keeps resetting itself to shutdown. This may be the same issue we had with the joker button. Did you have this issue? Do I have to save the settings to key memory?
Looks exactly like what I have.
Old 05-31-2024, 03:35 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by tommi_han
Do you think it's possible to code the console PSE button to activate the Soul PP exhaust as a switch instead of using the RF remote or homelink?
No. The buttons on the console send commands to the control module. That module opens/closes an electrical circuit that operates the valve. There's a wire that goes from under the passenger seat back to the engine compartment, to the control valve. That valve uses engine vacuum that opens/closes the valves on the exhaust.

From what I understand the Homelink buttons just send an RF command to the valve box, and that uses only 12vdc from the vehicle and isn't connected to the CAN bus at all. It's pretty ingenious using the Homelink remote this way as it avoids a lot of labor peeling up the carpets and other interior bits to run the control wires.
Old 05-31-2024, 03:47 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wkearney99
No. The buttons on the console send commands to the control module. That module opens/closes an electrical circuit that operates the valve. There's a wire that goes from under the passenger seat back to the engine compartment, to the control valve. That valve uses engine vacuum that opens/closes the valves on the exhaust.

From what I understand the Homelink buttons just send an RF command to the valve box, and that uses only 12vdc from the vehicle and isn't connected to the CAN bus at all. It's pretty ingenious using the Homelink remote this way as it avoids a lot of labor peeling up the carpets and other interior bits to run the control wires.
Haven't tried this but if you have an S you already have vacuum COV in the rear. Can't you use that same vacuum signal to control the soul valves? Even if you didn't have a -S with factory COV you may be able to add or rig a push button to provide momentary dry contact closure to one of the blank locations in the switch console. Here is a link to someone who did something similar.

https://plenums.blogspot.com/2015/03...le-switch.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8639...struction.html

Quick Reply: Thinkdiag Magic