Sponsored by:

Thinkdiag Magic

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2024, 11:00 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,989 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by thegenius
works only for .1. 991.1 Carreras and GT3 share similar components in the steering column. This coding sets the GT3 steering software calibration and changes the feel. Doesn't make it a GT3 though (steering feel is driven by other elements like suspension, calibrations... There maybe a feedback module in the gt3 that carreras don't have).
In the end it's still a must have setting in my opinion.

well put.

To be clear, just because the file is named GT3, the software doesn't make the car feel like the GT3. GT3/GT4s have very different suspension components in the front, different alignment calibration (which plays a huge role in steering feel, even on an electric steering) and even have some mounting points for suspension that dont exists on the Carreras.

What this steering software swap does is it emulates the parts of GT3 steering "feel" that are solely due to software, so all of the feedback, load and response that is software driven is now present in a regular carrera.

Having driven many Dealer rental 981s, 991s (during service) during 2013-2020 even a novice like me could feel the steering software improvement Porsche made between late-2012 and early 2015 model. my 2015/2016 C2 GTS cars with S-PASM felt very different (steering wise) than my late 2012 991.1 Carrera S with -PASM. ( Same type and size MP4S tires and bone stock) Dare I say thats about an apples to apples comparison as one can have.
I say this based simply on driving experience and no hard evidence, that 2015+ carrera cars have an evolved version of steering software, one that feels the same as 2017/2018 cars. For some reason Porsche sneaked that update in even before the .2 cars arrived.

My 2 cents

Last edited by desmotesta; 01-13-2024 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-13-2024, 11:11 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,989 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
What does the gt3 steering software change?

​​​​​​
@Ksdaoski
it's a very obvious change. It's softer at under 10 MPH, but at normal higher speeds the steering heavier with almost force feedback and very firm through sustained corners.
Also, at city speeds (20-45) moving steering side to side is also changed and improved, when doing slalom like movement the steering almost wants to return to center on its own.

I will also add that this software change in addition to some fine calibration on the DSC module can make a carrera feel like a completely changed car (front end feel wise).
If this was available from 991.1 Launch I imagine 90% of Electric steering complaints would have been minimized.
The following 2 users liked this post by desmotesta:
jfischet (01-14-2024), Ksdaoski (01-14-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 07:25 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

works only for .1. 991.1 Carreras and GT3 share similar components in the steering column. This coding sets the GT3 steering software calibration and changes the feel. Doesn't make it a GT3 though (steering feel is driven by other elements like suspension, calibrations... There maybe a feedback module in the gt3 that carreras don't have).
In the end it's still a must have setting in my opinion.
I looked for the coding for the power steering for my 718 (982) and I believe I found it. Unfortunately, GT3 is not one of the choices. Attached is the page with the choices. Do you think any of these will provide a similar benefit and do you think it will work?

The following users liked this post:
ltcjmramos (03-21-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 07:28 PM
thegenius
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken718B
I looked for the coding for the power steering for my 718 (982) and I believe I found it. Unfortunately, GT3 is not one of the choices. Attached is the page with the choices. Do you think any of these will provide a similar benefit and do you think it will work?

Really nothing to lose. Just pick one and drive the car to see if it changes the feel. You'd notice immediately. If it doesn't work you can just go back and switch to the original setting.
Old 01-13-2024, 07:43 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Really nothing to lose. Just pick one and drive the car to see if it changes the feel. You'd notice immediately. If it doesn't work you can just go back and switch to the original setting.
Thank you. Any idea what HAL is? Do you think that is something that requires additional hardware?

Edit: Nevermind. I found it. HAL is rear wheel steering. I assume I should not use the profiles that contain HAL since I don't have it.

Last edited by Ken718B; 01-14-2024 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-13-2024, 08:00 PM
nsau
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
@Ksdaoski
it's a very obvious change. It's softer at under 10 MPH, but at normal higher speeds the steering heavier with almost force feedback and very firm through sustained corners.
Also, at city speeds (20-45) moving steering side to side is also changed and improved, when doing slalom like movement the steering almost wants to return to center on its own.

I will also add that this software change in addition to some fine calibration on the DSC module can make a carrera feel like a completely changed car (front end feel wise).
If this was available from 991.1 Launch I imagine 90% of Electric steering complaints would have been minimized.
I agree. My only major complaint about the 991.1 has been the numb steering. It was irritating enough that I was looking at ordering a 992. Switching to the GT3 software completely eliminated that complaint. The car is a just a blast to throw around corners now. For me, the steering software change is a "MUST DO" for any 991.1 owner.
Prius&991.1CS2 (01-13-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 11:03 AM
thegenius
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 28 Posts

Inspired by this thread (used PIWIS) I looked at PTV (Porsche Torque Vectoring) with Thinkdiag. My car already has it (I believe it's standard in Carrera S/4 and optional for other models but not 100% sure). The thread is very detailed with impressions, explanations, pros and cons...
PIWIS: PTV activation/deactivation - Page 5 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
For those who want to activate it or maybe turn it off (to reduce break wear, for track use or whatever reason...) it's very straight forward:
In the PSM module -> Hidden/Brush...->Function Coding->Coding Byte 2--PTV: Porsche Torque Vectoring and you change the value.

Old 01-14-2024, 09:43 PM
LFB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

More notes from a 991.2:
  • Over rev report is consistent with a previous/recent report run with Autel, except it shows 0 mileage on the ThinkDiag report, and there seems to be an unusual relationship between the total hours reported on this screen vs elsewhere in the DME - they are higher by a factor of ~20 on the over rev report (which is clearly not right/not actually in the unit of "hours"). It would make more sense if the two values were related by a factor of 60 or 3600.
    • Whatever this report is doing with that weird measurement of operating time, it is clearly related to the way the over revs are logged, because those time values are the same order of magnitude as each other
  • Enabled battery voltage as an option in the BC 4-line display - for a non-turbo car, it's nice to have the ability to set all 4 rows of this screen to be engine parameters
  • Enabled race track mode on the BC TPMS screen - did not find the setting to enable another set of TPMS sensors (summer, winter, ______)
  • Enabled Expert menu, but I can't find it when I scroll through the BC displays. Anyone know what it is/where it lives?
  • Turned on a new BC menu item to disable rear axle steer via the BC
  • Enabled the BC Gear Shift Assist screen, as seen here on the 911R

Old 01-14-2024, 09:46 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by LFB
More notes from a 991.2:
  • Over rev report is consistent with a previous/recent report run with Autel, except it shows 0 mileage on the ThinkDiag report, and there seems to be an unusual relationship between the total hours reported on this screen vs elsewhere in the DME - they are higher by a factor of ~20 on the over rev report (which is clearly not right/not actually in the unit of "hours"). It would make more sense if the two values were related by a factor of 60 or 3600.
    • Whatever this report is doing with that weird measurement of operating time, it is clearly related to the way the over revs are logged, because those time values are the same order of magnitude as each other
  • Enabled battery voltage as an option in the BC 4-line display - for a non-turbo car, it's nice to have the ability to set all 4 rows of this screen to be engine parameters
  • Enabled race track mode on the BC TPMS screen - did not find the setting to enable another set of TPMS sensors (summer, winter, ______)
  • Enabled Expert menu, but I can't find it when I scroll through the BC displays. Anyone know what it is/where it lives?
  • Turned on a new BC menu item to disable rear axle steer via the BC
  • Enabled the BC Gear Shift Assist screen, as seen here on the 911R

Woah. Do tell! The 991R shift indicator and the TPMS mode… I briefly looked at the instructions from here but couldn’t find the RDK params in Launch. I feel like it has to be there…

https://rennlist.com/forums/981-forum/1346151-diy-custom-tire-pressure-settings-for-track-use-981-cs-probably-applies-to-others.html

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 01-14-2024 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-14-2024, 10:35 PM
LFB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Gear shift assist:
1. System Selection -> Instrument Cluster -> Code/brush Hiding
2. Search for "upshift display"
3. When you find "Board computer menu configuration - byte 7 - Upshift display, enable it & write code

Note that there are a couple of other locations where "upshift display" will show up, but they are specific to the key memory for your car, not to enable the function overall.

TPMS track mode:
Keep in mind there are two different topics here...

-Adding another set of wheels/sensors, so that one of the options in the menu is your track wheels/tires
-Enabling a race track mode so that the TPM system is not sensitive to the big pressure swings from cold tires to hot tires and back to cold again, which is common at the track.

I enabled that second option. It was also in the cluster, but without going hunting for it again, I can't remember if I found it by searching for "track" or "race" - I seem to recall that searching for "tire" produced a lot of results. Let me know if you have trouble finding it, I can go back in and take screenshots.

Having clicked the link you provided, I am 95% sure that I also found where to add the first option, for another set of wheels/TPM sensors on the TPM selection page, but I didn't quite know what I was looking at a few hours ago - I believe that in ThinkDiag, you have to type in the name of that 3rd set of wheels (sensors) yourself. I'll have to check again... maybe you can name your 2nd/3rd set of wheels as "BBS FI-R" or "Silver 19s" to make it really specific. If I'm right, the reason this is hard to find is that it doesn't already contain a word like "race" or "track" since you name it yourself when you enable it, so you have to find it by searching for "tire".
AdamSanta85 (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 11:14 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Originally Posted by LFB
More notes from a 991.2:
Once you have enabled the expert menu you need to go into settings in the MFD and the expert menu should be the last item.
Old 01-15-2024, 09:31 AM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Are you sure it's just a warning, or is it an error?

Why give out instructions to hide a power steering error, instead of giving out the instructions to code it correctly so that you don't get an error?

How did you validate that the changes you made, which, through a suppressed error, did what was expected? Checksum on the module?
Hello. I did this mod and got the error since I have a 2012 991.1 but I did love the feel of the steering. I don't have an issue suppressing the error mesage but don't want to do it if this change is actually causing some kind of stress or strain on the electric steering system. Has anyone had this for a while with no issues on early 991.1? I wouldn't think there are any hardware steering gear changes from 2012 991 to 2013 991 so I wouldn't think so but want to make sure.

Old 01-15-2024, 09:57 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by joserpaq
Hello. I did this mod and got the error since I have a 2012 991.1 but I did love the feel of the steering. I don't have an issue suppressing the error mesage but don't want to do it if this change is actually causing some kind of stress or strain on the electric steering system. Has anyone had this for a while with no issues on early 991.1? I wouldn't think there are any hardware steering gear changes from 2012 991 to 2013 991 so I wouldn't think so but want to make sure.
From what I have learned, the “logic” for the power steering lives on the module itself on the car, and the ThinkDiag/Autel/Piwis just toggles the settings. I am pretty confident that the error means that it is trying to toggle a setting that doesn’t exist on the module.

On the cars that successfully code without error, good to go.

I think the fix for the older cars is updating the firmware on the power steering module somehow (dealer?)
Old 01-17-2024, 04:24 PM
CTDan
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by bokh
Starting a thread with all the instructions to use Thinkdiag to code/access useful infos in our cars.
As a reminder, for now, if you want to do coding, you need an Android device. The iOS app has limited capabilities.

I'll start with accessing the Overrevs report:
In DME you go to read datastream then datastream1 then check operating hours and overrevs (1,2...6).
I’m using an apple device to try to pull an overrev report on a 2018 C2S, but… I don’t have anything called DME.

I can find “read data stream” under OBD FUNCTIONS, but then there is no “datastream1” and no operating hours, etc.

can anyone help me pull an overrev report please?
Old 01-17-2024, 04:26 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by CTDan
I’m using an apple device to try to pull an overrev report on a 2018 C2S, but… I don’t have anything called DME.

I can find “read data stream” under OBD FUNCTIONS, but then there is no “datastream1” and no operating hours, etc.

can anyone help me pull an overrev report please?
There are several functions that aren't available using IOS device and IOS app. You need to find android device and installed the android app to see those screens from what I've read. I'm using galaxy note that do have access to them.

Quick Reply: Thinkdiag Magic