Sponsored by:

Thinkdiag Magic

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 03:18 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Launch is the manufacturer of both ThinkDiag and X431. They run the same software. ThinkDiag uses your device as a user interface, X431 includes the tablet.

So instructions are the same for both devices.

PIWIS instructions can usually be figured out to the Launch stuff...

One thing I haven't figured out yet but could use help with, is understanding how to convert PIWIS "recipes" into the individual setting changes... for instance, on a PIWIS you can code for say "Sport Design" package and that will make changes X, Y, and Z. But on the Launch we don't have that luxury. So would love to find a way to take the PIWIS recipes and find the individual changes/steps.
I have posted some PIWIS coding on the 718 forum x431 thread before and got no feedback. If you add an option in PIWIS like NAV, you have to Auto Code a few modules and there are many settings to change. There is a screen at the end of the process that shows everything that’s coded. If there is any interest I’ll try to post some screenshots here. Another issue is the translation of each option from German which is different between ThinkDiag and PIWIS but we can figure it out. It is nice to have another option to code our cars.
The following users liked this post:
AdamSanta85 (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 03:21 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by 718socal
I have posted some PIWIS coding on the 718 forum x431 thread before and got no feedback. If you add an option in PIWIS like NAV, you have to Auto Code a few modules and there are many settings to change. There is a screen at the end of the process that shows everything that’s coded. If there is any interest I’ll try to post some screenshots here. Another issue is the translation of each option from German which is different between ThinkDiag and PIWIS but we can figure it out. It is nice to have another option to code our cars.
I think the end of process screens could be hugely beneficial.
718socal (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 03:31 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I don't recall seeing that on the 718 forum. I would like to see that. If it is easier to just send me the link to the 718 forum I can just look at that. Thank you.
Old 01-05-2024, 03:39 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ken718B
I don't recall seeing that on the 718 forum. I would like to see that. If it is easier to just send me the link to the 718 forum I can just look at that. Thank you.
This was a while back here
Old 01-05-2024, 03:49 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
I downloaded it straight from the google play app store, no sideloading involved.
Based on others comments make sure the app on the store is the same as the version you sideload. It's possible that the app store version for both android and IOS is watered down requiring sideloaded APK. I can't think of any other reason why they'd limit functionality on just the IOS app.
Old 01-05-2024, 06:14 PM
Ken718B
Banned

This was a while back here
Thank you for that. Is it just post #142 (Map Cluster) and #146 (Puddle Lights) or are there more posts that I should be looking at?

With respect to the Map Cluster, I don't want to make any changes to the PCM with my x431 until I can confirm that there is not an issue with the screen going dark. Also, my car came with navigation so I assume all of these codes are already made. I did send a message to shodge to see if he successfully made these changes and if so, I can add them to the guide.

With respect to the Puddle Lights, I don't have electric folding mirrors, so I have no way of testing this.

Old 01-05-2024, 10:29 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Thank you for that. Is it just post #142 (Map Cluster) and #146 (Puddle Lights) or are there more posts that I should be looking at?

With respect to the Map Cluster, I don't want to make any changes to the PCM with my x431 until I can confirm that there is not an issue with the screen going dark. Also, my car came with navigation so I assume all of these codes are already made. I did send a message to shodge to see if he successfully made these changes and if so, I can add them to the guide.

With respect to the Puddle Lights, I don't have electric folding mirrors, so I have no way of testing this.
Yes I would confirm that you can disable Production Mode before making any changes. You do have all the NAV coding since you got it from the factory. To display the MAP in cluster you do need an LVDS cable. I believe that the 991.2 has the same cluster as the 982. This will work on PCM 4. After coding the NAV you will get, Altitude meter, NAV turn by turn, Compass and Time Synch. The MAP in cluster is handy when you don’t have Cell signal and it is in your line of sight. I used it every time I drove to Angeles Crest where there is no signal. You can look at my thread here. https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...rofit-diy.html
Old 01-05-2024, 11:35 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Yes I would confirm that you can disable Production Mode before making any changes. You do have all the NAV coding since you got it from the factory. To display the MAP in cluster you do need an LVDS cable. I believe that the 991.2 has the same cluster as the 982. This will work on PCM 4. After coding the NAV you will get, Altitude meter, NAV turn by turn, Compass and Time Synch. The MAP in cluster is handy when you don’t have Cell signal and it is in your line of sight. I used it every time I drove to Angeles Crest where there is no signal. You can look at my thread here. https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...rofit-diy.html
I am not sure I follow your first statement. Are you saying that it is possible to code the PCM without having the screen go blank with an X431? If so, what additional steps are required when coding the PCM?
Old 01-05-2024, 11:38 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

I am not sure I follow your first statement. Are you saying that it is possible to code the PCM without having the screen go blank with an X431? If so, what additional steps are required when coding the PCM?
No I was stating that before you code the PCM with Thinkdiag, make sure you find the setting to disable Production Mode in case your screen blacks out.
Old 01-06-2024, 12:24 AM
Frankfurt1470
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

As a final touch, I enabled the G-Force display today. Took me a bit to find it on the Thinkdiag, but I now know how to use the search function.

What an amazing two days with this thing.

Good luck to everybody else, go wild!
911T4ME (01-06-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 01:38 AM
Ken718B
Banned

No I was stating that before you code the PCM with Thinkdiag, make sure you find the setting to disable Production Mode in case your screen blacks out.
Thank you. I will look for it tomorrow. Is it merely entering the PCM that could cause the PCM to black out or is this only going to happen if I change codes in the PCM?

If my PCM blacks out, then I disable Production Mode? Once I disable Production Mode the screen should come back on? Do I need to do anything after that such as enable Production Mode?

Are you aware of the issue that some 718 owners can skip to next track using the diamond button in car play and others can't? If so, do you have any thoughts on what may be causing this issue and how to resolve it? Any chance that this issue can be fixed by coding? I have corresponded with a couple people who have used MIB and are able to skip to next track with the diamond button using car play. However, neither of them knew whether they were able to do this prior to running MIB. If I knew MIB would resolve this issue, I would run it.
Old 01-06-2024, 02:16 AM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Thank you. I will look for it tomorrow. Is it merely entering the PCM that could cause the PCM to black out or is this only going to happen if I change codes in the PCM?

If my PCM blacks out, then I disable Production Mode? Once I disable Production Mode the screen should come back on? Do I need to do anything after that such as enable Production Mode?

Are you aware of the issue that some 718 owners can skip to next track using the diamond button in car play and others can't? If so, do you have any thoughts on what may be causing this issue and how to resolve it? Any chance that this issue can be fixed by coding? I have corresponded with a couple people who have used MIB and are able to skip to next track with the diamond button using car play. However, neither of them knew whether they were able to do this prior to running MIB. If I knew MIB would resolve this issue, I would run it.
No you have to code just one setting and it will black out. Just disable Production Mode and it will bring the screen back up. I think skip to the next track worked for me but I was using Carlinkit Wireless CP. Are you using wired or Wireless CP?
Old 01-06-2024, 07:48 AM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankfurt1470
As a final touch, I enabled the G-Force display today. Took me a bit to find it on the Thinkdiag, but I now know how to use the search function.

What an amazing two days with this thing.

Good luck to everybody else, go wild!
Great info. Can you provide some details on how the search function works?
Old 01-06-2024, 09:02 AM
Ken718B
Banned

No you have to code just one setting and it will black out. Just disable Production Mode and it will bring the screen back up. I think skip to the next track worked for me but I was using Carlinkit Wireless CP. Are you using wired or Wireless CP?
Thanks again. I will look today to see if I can find where to disable Production Mode.

I am also using a Carlinkit. I know skip to next track does not work with car play while using carlinkit and am pretty sure it also does not work if wired. What year is your car? I am pretty sure this only affects older 718s. I haven't found anyone with a new 718 that has this issue.
Old 01-06-2024, 11:37 AM
Frankfurt1470
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by joserpaq
Great info. Can you provide some details on how the search function works?
Once you have selected your system (e.g. Instrument Cluster) and you cannot find something in the Code/Brush Mode detailed menu, go back one (or two) steps/screens to where it says "Search" as the first menu option on top. Type in the string you are searching for (just a couple of letters) and the system will find the setting/string you are looking for.

In my case, I was able to enable the performance menu straight from the description. However, I could not find the "bytes" for the Torque or G-Force setting/enabling while going down and examining the strings in the menus. I went back to where I could search, typed in "G force" and it immediately showed up. Maybe I was originally looking in the wrong area, but the search function was foolproof. Just make sure that what it finds is EXACTLY the string that you are looking for, based on the description. Read the whole string, sometimes there are strings that are exactly the same, but one of them has "display" added in the end, while the other one doesn't. Make sure you only change the one that the description in the .pdf tells you to.

Last edited by Frankfurt1470; 01-06-2024 at 11:40 AM.
joserpaq (01-07-2024)

Quick Reply: Thinkdiag Magic