Sponsored by:

Thinkdiag Magic

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 07:31 PM
Got Bearings?
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
I don't know, but I've taken notes so that I can revert to the factory settings manually.
Same
Old 02-22-2024, 07:31 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

I don't know, but I've taken notes so that I can revert to the factory settings manually.
What about coding, does it use software that is internal or do you have to go on-line?

What about updates?
Old 02-22-2024, 07:36 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
What about coding, does it use software that is internal or do you have to go on-line?

What about updates?
When I first used my ThinkDiag, it performed an update, which I suspect it might do periodically. After that, it seemed to have everything it needed to perform the modifications I've done so far: recalibrating the speedometer and restoring accuracy and intelligence to the coolant temperature gauge.
The following users liked this post:
IXLR8 (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 08:22 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

When I first used my ThinkDiag, it performed an update, which I suspect it might do periodically. After that, it seemed to have everything it needed to perform the modifications I've done so far: recalibrating the speedometer and restoring accuracy and intelligence to the coolant temperature gauge.
Was your speedo that far off? I ran my GPS and compared it running a straight flat road at a steady speed. It was spot on but only to where I tested it to about 80 MPH.

I wonder if anyone had done a coolant flush where from what I read, the PIWIS would activate a couple of solenoid valves in the system in succession. Maybe that works as a one-way valve while bleeding the system. This thread has 22 pages; only read the first 2.

Anyway, will look at the ThinkDiag even though I have other diagnostic tools.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:56 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Was your speedo that far off? I ran my GPS and compared it running a straight flat road at a steady speed. It was spot on but only to where I tested it to about 80 MPH.

I wonder if anyone had done a coolant flush where from what I read, the PIWIS would activate a couple of solenoid valves in the system in succession. Maybe that works as a one-way valve while bleeding the system. This thread has 22 pages; only read the first 2.

Anyway, will look at the ThinkDiag even though I have other diagnostic tools.
It was off 2 mph at 80. Not the end of the world, but why put up with it, if it's easily corrected.

I often use cruise control when not in a hurry, to stay out of ticket trouble. i figure that 5 mph or ten percent over the speed limit--whichever is greater--will keep me out of trouble. So I appreciate precision int his measure.

Of course, if the Porsche engineers had a gram of brain, they would use the car's built-in GPS to periodically calibrate the car's speedometer, thus correcting for tire wear and changes.

Old 02-23-2024, 12:11 AM
Ken718B
Banned

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by joserpaq
Thanks Ken.
I tried these but no dice. I appreciate you keeping an eye out for anything that looks promising. There just may be no way to control the top on the early 991.1 from the key remote without additional hardware but the window control that does work is great to have.
I am trying to figure out how this code affects window operation. The other choice is RdW Do you have this code in your car? If so, what is the code set to?
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2024, 10:37 AM
Ken718B
Banned

Originally Posted by MaxBlack
Ok you are correct, Google Play Store says it is not compatible so how do I force it? Thanks!

2023 991 4S MT
Gone but not forgotten
1989 911 Speedster
1976 912E
1975 Silver Anniversary 911
1974 914 2.0
1972 914
@maxblack Are you using a tablet? I think that is the reason why we can't install the app from the google play store. I saw this on the thinkdiag website. This is what it says on the website:

The Thinkdiag does not officially work on tablets and is not shown on the google play store however you may install the app manually and it should work without any issues. We can not promise it will work on a tablet but we have yet to have a customer that the app did not install on manually. To install the app manually you will need to go to the downloads section on the website.

Also, does anyone know if the thinkdiag can code using an iphone? I thought I saw somewhere that the software does work with IOS but that coding is not possible with the IOS app. Is anyone using an iphone to code?

Last edited by Ken718B; 02-23-2024 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-23-2024, 03:57 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken718B
@maxblack Are you using a tablet? I think that is the reason why we can't install the app from the google play store. I saw this on the thinkdiag website. This is what it says on the website:

The Thinkdiag does not officially work on tablets and is not shown on the google play store however you may install the app manually and it should work without any issues. We can not promise it will work on a tablet but we have yet to have a customer that the app did not install on manually. To install the app manually you will need to go to the downloads section on the website.

Also, does anyone know if the thinkdiag can code using an iphone? I thought I saw somewhere that the software does work with IOS but that coding is not possible with the IOS app. Is anyone using an iphone to code?
I haven't tried using Android phone but I did download the IOS app and coding is not an option. I'm using it on old (really old) samsung tablet and it works prefectly.
Old 02-23-2024, 04:28 PM
MaxBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes using a tablet but got it loaded, go into settings and allow non certified apps then download and install from the file listed previously, worked fine once I figured out what to do.
The following users liked this post:
rockhouse66 (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 10:09 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Thanks Ken.

i looked for that option in front end electronics but I don't have it available in that module or any of the other modules.
Here is another code that I came across in front end electronics that you should check on your car. I don't think I previously sent you this one.
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2024, 10:25 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ken718B
Here is another code that I came across in front end electronics that you should check on your car. I don't think I previously sent you this one.
Thanks Ken. I had tried that one but no change. I gave up and ordered smart unit. I was determined to find a way using coding but no dice.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:52 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Thanks Ken. I had tried that one but no change. I gave up and ordered smart unit. I was determined to find a way using coding but no dice.

Let me know how you like the smarttop. Seeing the video of someone accessing the control module under the seat and using the vampire taps turned me off. I may do it someday if I can't figure out how to make my windows stay down after opening the top. I thought I saw that the install of the smarttop in your car is easier.
Old 02-24-2024, 10:57 AM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 294 Posts

I need help.
When I go into diagnostics and select systems it only shows DME. There is no front end electronics or instrument cluster options. Is there something I need to do to enable these menus?
Old 02-24-2024, 11:21 AM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Catharpin
I need help.
When I go into diagnostics and select systems it only shows DME. There is no front end electronics or instrument cluster options. Is there something I need to do to enable these menus?
Make sure you have the correct car identified when you first connect. Then do system scan to see if it finds all your modules.
Old 02-24-2024, 12:01 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 688 Likes on 342 Posts

I'm looking to confirm that for 982 vehicles the OverRev (OverSpeed) reports only contain 3 Ranges, and not the 6 Ranges we see on the 991/981 vehicles?

When I pull this report, either using the ThinkDiag or a Dealer PIWIS, I only see Headers listed for "Overspeed Range 1", "Overspeed Range 2", "Overspeed Range 3". I cannot find any listed for "Overspeed Range 4,5,or 6"......

Did Porsche change their report and discard the older lower Ranges of 1,2,3 and just report the older ranges of 4,5 & 6, as 1,2 & 3 in the 982/992 vehicles?

Any insight out there?

Quick Reply: Thinkdiag Magic