Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinkdiag Magic

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2024, 01:53 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I have an update for anyone who wants to try and get the key fob to open and close the top on your 991, I corresponded with Yobiwan and received the following additional information.

Here is what he said regarding the modifications to his key fob:

1. He said that when you open the key fob, you can immediately see what you need to do. There's a hole blocked by plastic that needs to be drilled out.

2. You also need to purchase the following silicon button (model E) - which is the parts for a Boxster
Remote Car Key Shell Rubber Pad For Porsche Cayenne 9YA Macan 911 Boxster Cayman Panamera 971 718 Silicone Key Button Replace - AliExpress

With respect to coding, he reiterated that he does not remember the coding he used to enable the key fob to work with the top.

As I previously pointed out, he was posting on the 718 forum and indicated that he was getting errors when trying to change the two codes shown in the instructions that did not require change on my 718. There is even a post where he says that it is possible that after modifying his key fob he may be able to successfully change those two codes.

If anyone tries this, please post and let us know if it works.

I also noticed in Yobiwan’s video, the windows on his 991.2 drop all of the way down when he starts to put his top down and his windows stay down after the top finishes opening. I asked him how and did this and he does not remember how he did this. When I start to put my top down on my 718, the windows do not go all of the way down, they stay at 3/4th up position. Can you confirm that the default on the 991 is also that the windows go to the 3/4th up position when you start to put the top down. If so, does anyone know what codes he changed to get the windows to go to the down position when the top starts going down? I assume that having the windows go all of the way down (as opposed to 3/4th up) as the top starts to go down is the key to figuring out how to have the windows end up fully down after opening the top. If I set the code for close windows after opening the top to no, the windows stay in the 3/4th up position rather than going completely down.

Link to Yobinwan's video: Coding Fun - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

I did come across some codes that I have no idea what these do. Anyone have any idea what these codes do? Maybe one of these will put the windows down rather than 3/4ths up when the top starts to go down.

Front-End Electronics: Comfort function parameter- Temporal limit value until closing{Default: ?????}

Front-End Electronics: Comfort function parameter- Temporal limit value without direction reversal {Default: ????}

Front-End Electronics: Comfort function parameter- Temporal limit value with direction reversal {Default: ????}

Driver's Door: Coding- Power window 1- Auto Window/Roof System, short stroke {Default: Active}

Driver's Door: Coding- Power window 1- Auto Window/Roof System, initial short stroke {Default: Active}

Driver’s Door: Coding Power window 2 – Power Windows 2- Global Open Close = Active {Default: Not Active}

Last edited by Ken718B; 01-18-2024 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-18-2024, 03:22 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken718B
I have an update for anyone who wants to try and get the key fob to open and close the top on your 991, I corresponded with Yobiwan and received the following additional information.

Here is what he said regarding the modifications to his key fob:

1. He said that when you open the key fob, you can immediately see what you need to do. There's a hole blocked by plastic that needs to be drilled out.

2. You also need to purchase the following silicon button (model E) - which is the parts for a Boxster
Remote Car Key Shell Rubber Pad For Porsche Cayenne 9YA Macan 911 Boxster Cayman Panamera 971 718 Silicone Key Button Replace - AliExpress

With respect to coding, he reiterated that he does not remember the coding he used to enable the key fob to work with the top.

As I previously pointed out, he was posting on the 718 forum and indicated that he was getting errors when trying to change the two codes shown in the instructions that did not require change on my 718. There is even a post where he says that it is possible that after modifying his key fob he may be able to successfully change those two codes.

If anyone tries this, please post and let us know if it works.

I also noticed in Yobiwan’s video, the windows on his 991.2 drop all of the way down when he starts to put his top down and his windows stay down after the top finishes opening. I asked him how and did this and he does not remember how he did this. When I start to put my top down on my 718, the windows do not go all of the way down, they stay at 3/4th up position. Can you confirm that the default on the 991 is also that the windows go to the 3/4th up position when you start to put the top down. If so, does anyone know what codes he changed to get the windows to go to the down position when the top starts going down? I assume that having the windows go all of the way down (as opposed to 3/4th up) as the top starts to go down is the key to figuring out how to have the windows end up fully down after opening the top. If I set the code for close windows after opening the top to no, the windows stay in the 3/4th up position rather than going completely down.

Link to Yobinwan's video: Coding Fun - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

I did come across some codes that I have no idea what these do. Anyone have any idea what these codes do? Maybe one of these will put the windows down rather than 3/4ths up when the top starts to go down.

Front-End Electronics: Comfort function parameter- Temporal limit value until closing{Default: ?????}

Front-End Electronics: Comfort function parameter- Temporal limit value without direction reversal {Default: ????}

Front-End Electronics: Comfort function parameter- Temporal limit value with direction reversal {Default: ????}

Driver's Door: Coding- Power window 1- Auto Window/Roof System, short stroke {Default: Active}

Driver's Door: Coding- Power window 1- Auto Window/Roof System, initial short stroke {Default: Active}

Driver’s Door: Coding Power window 2 – Power Windows 2- Global Open Close = Active {Default: Not Active}
I've been on this for a couple of weeks. This is the only thing I haven't been able to get working. The top will not operate from Keyfob or via one touch from buttons. I tried the programming listed on the awesome PDF by Ken G. and Croc and tried both keyfob options, using the lock/unlock long hold as well as fouth button on keyfob but no dice. I noted earlier that I couldn't get the line I list below to work. It always gave me an error when writing to the car. Not a module not available but an error writing so I assume thats the issue. I also reached out to Yobiwan and he said the same "got it coded but don't remember what I changed" so I'll keep messing with it and advise if I make any progress.

Working on 2012 991.1 but tried this on a 2014 991.2 and had the same issue including same write failure on line below.

By the way the windows do work from Keyfob but I deactivated that before testing top since I know they are mutually exclusive operations.

Rear-End Electronics: Coding value-Equipment-Equipment for convertible top control equipment available = Yes {Default: Yes} (I did not need to change this)

Last edited by joserpaq; 01-18-2024 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-18-2024, 03:40 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Originally Posted by joserpaq
I've been on this for a couple of weeks. This is the only thing I haven't been able to get working. The top will not operate from Keyfob or via one touch from buttons. I tried the programming listed on the awesome PDF by Ken G. and Croc and tried both keyfob options, using the lock/unlock long hold as well as fouth button on keyfob but no dice. I noted earlier that I couldn't get the line I list below to work. It always gave me an error when writing to the car. Not a module not available but an error writing so I assume thats the issue. I also reached out to Yobiwan and he said the same "got it coded but don't remember what I changed" so I'll keep messing with it and advise if I make any progress. Working on early 991.1

By the way the windows do work from Keyfob but I deactivated that before testing top since I know they are mutually exclusive operations.Rear-End Electronics: Coding value-Equipment-Equipment for convertible top control equipment available = Yes {Default: Yes} (I did not need to change this)
Have you modified your key to enable the fourth button? He made clear that you will not be able to open or close the top with the key fob without modifying the key fob.

Can you also let me know when you put the top down on your car, do the windows initially go all the way like Obiwan's car? Or do the windows initially go to the 3/4th up position when you start to put the top down like my top does?
Old 01-18-2024, 04:21 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Have you modified your key to enable the fourth button? He made clear that you will not be able to open or close the top with the key fob without modifying the key fob.

Can you also let me know when you put the top down on your car, do the windows initially go all the way like Obiwan's car? Or do the windows initially go to the 3/4th up position when you start to put the top down like my top does?
I didn't modify the keyfob but I did open it up and I can push the fourth button. i see the light blinking in the car so I know the button is active just not tied to any function in the car. I don't have the 3/4 window issue. My windows to go all the way up or down when activating top opening from console buttons (but i need to hold since one touch is not working) or when I open/close all four windows using keyfob based on coding change from PDF.
Old 01-18-2024, 04:26 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Has anyone done a restore after backing up setting for one of the modules like "front end electronics" etc. and if so did you have any issues? After trying so many different things it's difficult to keep track of the changes and would be nice to reset and just make the changes that worked but I'm hesitant to do that and have all the settings screwed up.
Old 01-18-2024, 04:53 PM
Ken718B
Banned

I've been on this for a couple of weeks. This is the only thing I haven't been able to get working. The top will not operate from Keyfob or via one touch from buttons. I tried the programming listed on the awesome PDF by Ken G. and Croc and tried both keyfob options, using the lock/unlock long hold as well as fouth button on keyfob but no dice. I noted earlier that I couldn't get the line I list below to work. It always gave me an error when writing to the car. Not a module not available but an error writing so I assume thats the issue. I also reached out to Yobiwan and he said the same "got it coded but don't remember what I changed" so I'll keep messing with it and advise if I make any progress.

Working on 2012 991.1 but tried this on a 2014 991.2 and had the same issue including same write failure on line below.

By the way the windows do work from Keyfob but I deactivated that before testing top since I know they are mutually exclusive operations.

Rear-End Electronics: Coding value-Equipment-Equipment for convertible top control equipment available = Yes {Default: Yes} (I did not need to change this)
I assume you are saying that you think the parts he purchased just allow the button to be pushed with the key fob back together. That's a shame. I figured once the key fob was modified you would be able to change the code that you received the error when trying to change. Have you tried asking this question of forum users outside the US and Canada who have this feature from the factory? Maybe they can assist you in getting this working?

With respect to the windows that is odd. I figured the window operation of our cars would be the same. Do you mind checking the codes I mentioned above on your car and any other codes you may see to help me figure out how to make the windows on my car work the same as yours?
Old 01-18-2024, 05:02 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

I assume you are saying that you think the parts he purchased just allow the button to be pushed with the key fob back together. That's a shame. I figured once the key fob was modified you would be able to change the code that you received the error when trying to change. Have you tried asking this question of forum users outside the US and Canada who have this feature from the factory? Maybe they can assist you in getting this working?

With respect to the windows that is odd. I figured the window operation of our cars would be the same. Do you mind checking the codes I mentioned above on your car and any other codes you may see to help me figure out how to make the windows on my car work the same as yours?

here's a pic of the keyfob without the plastic frame and rubber cover removed. You can see the 4th button, I just push that button and can see the LED blink in the car so I know that it's communicating with the car just nothing associated with it. if I got it to work I'd do the mod allowing cover to be on with access to button but for testing it's not necessary.

I'll look at those codes and advise but yes my car has the windows go 100% up/down when operating the top and also when controled by keyfob. Now I did have an issue where the rear windows stopped and took repeated button pushes to go 100% up but that was due to friction with the rubber weatherstripping. I sprayed some teflon lubricant and all 4 work up/down 100%.
Old 01-18-2024, 05:18 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

here is what I have for those parameters. These are all stock settings. Front-End Electronics: Comfort function parameter- Temporal limit value until closing{Default: ?????} 2.55

Front-End Electronics: Comfort function parameter- Temporal limit value without direction reversal {Default: ????} 2.55

Front-End Electronics: Comfort function parameter- Temporal limit value with direction reversal {Default: ????} 2.55

Driver's Door: Coding- Power window 1- Auto Window/Roof System, short stroke {Default: Active} enable

Driver's Door: Coding- Power window 1- Auto Window/Roof System, initial short stroke {Default: Active} enable

Driver’s Door: Coding Power window 2 – Power Windows 2- Global Open Close = Active {Default: Not Active} no
I see you list active as your default while mine is "enable"
Old 01-18-2024, 05:45 PM
Ken718B
Banned

here is what I have for those parameters. These are all stock settings. Front-End Electronics: Comfort function parameter- Temporal limit value until closing{Default: ?????} 2.55

Front-End Electronics: Comfort function parameter- Temporal limit value without direction reversal {Default: ????} 2.55

Front-End Electronics: Comfort function parameter- Temporal limit value with direction reversal {Default: ????} 2.55

Driver's Door: Coding- Power window 1- Auto Window/Roof System, short stroke {Default: Active} enable

Driver's Door: Coding- Power window 1- Auto Window/Roof System, initial short stroke {Default: Active} enable

Driver’s Door: Coding Power window 2 – Power Windows 2- Global Open Close = Active {Default: Not Active} no
I see you list active as your default while mine is "enable"
Thank you for checking those codes. However, those codes on my car are all set the same as yours. I assume active and enable are the same.

I saw one more code that I thought could be something, it is

Front-End Electronics: Comfort function parameter- P_threshold comfort acknowledgment window opening.

This code on my car is set to 6. Will you also check this one when you have a moment?

On your key fob, did you try pushing the other three buttons to make sure those work when the key fob is apart?

Last edited by Ken718B; 01-18-2024 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-18-2024, 05:49 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 286 Posts

here's a pic of the keyfob without the plastic frame and rubber cover removed. You can see the 4th button, I just push that button and can see the LED blink in the car so I know that it's communicating with the car just nothing associated with it. if I got it to work I'd do the mod allowing cover to be on with access to button but for testing it's not necessary.

I'll look at those codes and advise but yes my car has the windows go 100% up/down when operating the top and also when controled by keyfob. Now I did have an issue where the rear windows stopped and took repeated button pushes to go 100% up but that was due to friction with the rubber weatherstripping. I sprayed some teflon lubricant and all 4 work up/down 100%.
My thought on this. Your BCM is different than 982 BCM. There must be a setting that's enabled or disabled not allowing you to change the code. Look for anything related to Soft Top or Cabrio. Your 4th button is the Open/Close trunk button. Look at those settings for the trunk too.
Old 01-18-2024, 06:35 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Thank you for checking those codes. However, those codes on my car are all set the same as yours. II assume active and enable are the same.

I saw one more code that I did that I thought could be something, it is

Front-End Electronics: Comfort function parameter- P_threshold comfort acknowledgment window opening.

This code on my car is set to 6. Will you also check this one when you have a moment?

On your key fob, did you try pushing the other three buttons to make sure those work when the key fob is apart?
I don't have this parameter on my car.
Old 01-18-2024, 06:38 PM
Ken718B
Banned

I don't have this parameter on my car.
Thank you for checking.

The following code on my car is set to no:

Front-end Electronics: Central locking codings-radio reception acknowledgement active

I have no idea what this code does on my car but you may want to see if you have this code and if so, changing this to yes on your car fixes your issue.

Last edited by Ken718B; 01-18-2024 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2024, 06:40 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Thank you for checking.
I'm about to give up and order the smarttop controller to control top from keyfob. I spent alot of time searching for what code I could change but no dice.

Old 01-18-2024, 06:52 PM
Ken718B
Banned

I feel the same way about the windows going down. I am not sure that bothers me enough to install a smart top.

I edited my post to add one other code you may want to look at.
Old 01-18-2024, 07:54 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

The fourth button exists in all of these remotes. Pop open the fob and you'll see it. You can get a replacement piece of rubber that has the necessary bits to press on it. You just have to drill out the plastic to let it reach.

I have not yet found a rubber piece with a convertible top icon on it. I've just used one with the trunk.

What I have not yet determined is what does pressing the 4th button get detected as by the vehicle. I think this might be where the setting for the top comes into play. As in, you can activate the feature but unless the key sends that 4th button command nothing is going to happen.

Quick Reply: Thinkdiag Magic