Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinkdiag Magic

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 10:44 AM
Dallas
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, I missed that post. I'll download the PDF.
Old 01-05-2024, 10:54 AM
Dallas
Advanced

Found the PDF, amazing detail. Sorry top be a pain, but the PDF refers to the Launch product, are the procedure's the same for the Thinkdiag? Or do I just use the references for the various menus?
Old 01-05-2024, 10:59 AM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallas
Found the PDF, amazing detail. Sorry top be a pain, but the PDF refers to the Launch product, are the procedure's the same for the Thinkdiag? Or do I just use the references for the various menus?
I'll let Ken confirm if he tried the code corrections using ThinkDiag but I'm assuming these were found using X431 programmer so we need to find same code "text" in the ThinkDiag submeunus and select same options. Also note that these were from a 718 not a 991 so I'm assuming there may also be some small differences as a result.

I ordered the unit for $75.96 shipped with discount code so not too much of a risk. Based on crazy cost today thats a family outing to Mcd's so worth it to me.

Last edited by joserpaq; 01-05-2024 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-05-2024, 11:01 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by joserpaq
I'll let Ken confirm if he tried the code corrections using ThinkDiag but I'm assuming these were found using X431 programmer so we need to find same code "text" in the ThinkDiag submeunus and select same options. Also note that these were from a 718 not a 991 so I'm assuming there may also be some small differences as a result.
Launch is the manufacturer of both ThinkDiag and X431. They run the same software. ThinkDiag uses your device as a user interface, X431 includes the tablet.

So instructions are the same for both devices.

PIWIS instructions can usually be figured out to the Launch stuff...

One thing I haven't figured out yet but could use help with, is understanding how to convert PIWIS "recipes" into the individual setting changes... for instance, on a PIWIS you can code for say "Sport Design" package and that will make changes X, Y, and Z. But on the Launch we don't have that luxury. So would love to find a way to take the PIWIS recipes and find the individual changes/steps.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 01-05-2024 at 11:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
lunker325 (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 11:20 AM
Dallas
Advanced

Great, thank you for the clarification. Have a great weekend.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:01 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
...At this point I've been screwing around trying to get it retuned LONGER than it took them to sell me this one.
FINALLY they've agreed to replace it and are sending it in advance. Fingers-crossed someone will have actually checked that it works before sending it...
Porsche_nuts (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 12:03 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

FINALLY they've agreed to replace it and are sending it in advance. Fingers-crossed someone will have actually checked that it works before sending it...
How long did it take you to get the unit once you placed the order?
Old 01-05-2024, 12:22 PM
Got Bearings?
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

I received mine in 2 days.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:26 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Order it on 12/21, UPS delivered it 12/29. So an average delivery time given I ordered it on a Thursday, during a holiday season.

Plugged it in right after getting it, found it wasn't working and contacted support. Granted, that was on a Thursday, but then we had a back/forth proving the defect all week to get a return. If it follows the initial order/delivery schedule I should have a replacement by next Friday?

Probably not an unreasonable turn-around, I was just put off by the constant "prove it's broken" messages.

I did manage to brute-force it into working long enough to check some things and it does seem like it's going to be a winner (provided it actually stays working).

It's really a much more realistic price-point for DIY tweaking stuff. Most of which will only get done once, or /maybe/ after any sort of dealer resetting of non-VIN-registered changes. Though it's not like the X431 units with a display aren't also a bargain, this just shifts the cost of the screen back onto your own Android device. That and some of the permissions the app wants are a bit concerning (like constant geo-location even when not using the app? eff that). So, I don't plan on keeping the app installed unless I'm actively using it. I suppose I should probably get the APK downloaded rather than depend on the app store continuing to keep it listed. That's where some of the X431 offline models are perhaps better choices long-term. I had a previous LAUNCH app that I tried using on my Cayenne and it was a clusterf'k of online registration hassles. This one was a breeze in comparison.

For $68, though, it's probably among the least expensive things I've ever gotten for one of these cars!
911T4ME (01-06-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 12:37 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Order it on 12/21, UPS delivered it 12/29. So an average delivery time given I ordered it on a Thursday, during a holiday season.

Plugged it in right after getting it, found it wasn't working and contacted support. Granted, that was on a Thursday, but then we had a back/forth proving the defect all week to get a return. If it follows the initial order/delivery schedule I should have a replacement by next Friday?

Probably not an unreasonable turn-around, I was just put off by the constant "prove it's broken" messages.

I did manage to brute-force it into working long enough to check some things and it does seem like it's going to be a winner (provided it actually stays working).

It's really a much more realistic price-point for DIY tweaking stuff. Most of which will only get done once, or /maybe/ after any sort of dealer resetting of non-VIN-registered changes. Though it's not like the X431 units with a display aren't also a bargain, this just shifts the cost of the screen back onto your own Android device. That and some of the permissions the app wants are a bit concerning (like constant geo-location even when not using the app? eff that). So, I don't plan on keeping the app installed unless I'm actively using it. I suppose I should probably get the APK downloaded rather than depend on the app store continuing to keep it listed. That's where some of the X431 offline models are perhaps better choices long-term. I had a previous LAUNCH app that I tried using on my Cayenne and it was a clusterf'k of online registration hassles. This one was a breeze in comparison.

For $68, though, it's probably among the least expensive things I've ever gotten for one of these cars!
Good point on the APK. Does anyone have the APK they'd be willing to share? I saw that it needs to be sideloaded due to permissions. I'm and IOS user so I'm only going to use this on an old andriod tablet I have laying around.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:48 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Launch is the manufacturer of both ThinkDiag and X431. They run the same software. ThinkDiag uses your device as a user interface, X431 includes the tablet.

So instructions are the same for both devices.

PIWIS instructions can usually be figured out to the Launch stuff...

One thing I haven't figured out yet but could use help with, is understanding how to convert PIWIS "recipes" into the individual setting changes... for instance, on a PIWIS you can code for say "Sport Design" package and that will make changes X, Y, and Z. But on the Launch we don't have that luxury. So would love to find a way to take the PIWIS recipes and find the individual changes/steps.
You are correct that the instructions I sent used a Launch X431 and were for a 718 so it is possible that the codes may be different for your cars and may be different when using a ThinkDiag.

I would also be interested in your thoughts regarding the question I posted above about returning my Launch X431 since I am still within the return period and getting a ThinkDiag. I paid around $400. It seems like the ThinkDiag can do the same thing as my Launch and it is less than $100. I also have a Kindle HD8 that is running the Android OS (LingageOS) that I could use. Are you aware of anything that can be done on an X431 but not a ThinkDiag?

I haven't used a PIWIS so I do not know the answer to that question. However, which PIWIS recipes are you referring to? Maybe they have already been deciphered.
Old 01-05-2024, 01:09 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ken718B
You are correct that the instructions I sent used a Launch X431 and were for a 718 so it is possible that the codes may be different for your cars and may be different when using a ThinkDiag.

I would also be interested in your thoughts regarding the question I posted above about returning my Launch X431 since I am still within the return period and getting a ThinkDiag. I paid around $400. It seems like the ThinkDiag can do the same thing as my Launch and it is less than $100. I also have a Kindle HD8 that is running the Android OS (LingageOS) that I could use. Are you aware of anything that can be done on an X431 but not a ThinkDiag?

I haven't used a PIWIS so I do not know the answer to that question. However, which PIWIS recipes are you referring to? Maybe they have already been deciphered.
Maybe someone else who has used ThinkDiag can confirm if the coding menus on the app match the ones you listed on your PDF. I'm hoping so but won't know until I get the unit next week.
Old 01-05-2024, 01:19 PM
thegenius
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 28 Posts

Good point on the APK. Does anyone have the APK they'd be willing to share? I saw that it needs to be sideloaded due to permissions. I'm and IOS user so I'm only going to use this on an old andriod tablet I have laying around.
here's the link. Download the last app in the list.
Then open it, you'll get a prompt where you have to authorize Chrome to install 3rd party apps.

https://mythinkcar.com/pages/software-download
wkearney99 (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 01:55 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

I downloaded it straight from the google play app store, no sideloading involved.
Old 01-05-2024, 02:02 PM
Got Bearings?
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

I downloaded it straight from the google play app store, no sideloading involved.
Same for me

Quick Reply: Thinkdiag Magic