Sponsored by:

Thinkdiag Magic

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 05:52 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,989 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken718B
Was the change to GT3 steering software made with a PIWIS or a Thinkdiag? Either way, is it possible to share the coding changes that were made to accomplish this?
I did this on my 2016 GTS with a thinkdiag+.
it was just 4-5 clicks and a picking GT3 electronic steering software from a drop down. The actual change took a couple of seconds at the most.
Old 01-12-2024, 05:52 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
it is my understanding that early 991 cars aren’t able to make this change with thinkdiag+.
could be a software difference between early 991.1 and later 991.1 cars
I know for a fact that the steering on both of my 991.1GTs (2015 and 2016) feels very different from my model year 2012 991.1carrera S.
I am also told that the warning and yellow light means GT3 software change did not take place and instead it some sort of failsafe.
hope this helps.
Thank you. I put it back to C2S just in case.
Old 01-12-2024, 07:47 PM
thegenius
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 28 Posts

it is my understanding that early 991 cars aren’t able to make this change with thinkdiag+.
could be a software difference between early 991.1 and later 991.1 cars
I know for a fact that the steering on both of my 991.1GTs (2015 and 2016) feels very different from my model year 2012 991.1carrera S.
I am also told that the warning and yellow light means GT3 software change did not take place and instead it some sort of failsafe.
hope this helps.
You can make the change to early 991s and it changes the steering feel just as decribed with a Thinkdiag. You would get the warning on the dash. You could silence the warning with Thinkdiag at your own risk of missing other faults.
Old 01-12-2024, 07:51 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joserpaq
Hello All,

Working on a 991.1S Cab

I got the unit primarily to program the top control from the keyfob and one touch from the switch but I can't get it to work. I was able to change all the values excepts for

"Rear-End Electronics: Coding value-Equipment-Eqipment for convertivle top control equipment available=Yes"

In the instructions I see that this should be "yes" by default but mine says "no" by default and when I try to write "yes" is gives me an error. If I select "no" and then write it succeeds so I'm not sure what is going on.

All the other modifications for the top control did write except for this one. I tried re-starting the car and the app but no dice. I also programmed one touch control from button and all those did write but that is not working either.

Since the description here is "Equipment for convertivle top control equipment available=Yes" I'm thinking that this one if key for both these top control changes (keyfob and one touch) to work so I'm hoping someone has some advise?

I did change the performance/torque display and emergency brake display and those work fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Just as a follow up to this I was able to change coding to control the windows up/down from the keyfob just can't get any of the convertible top programming to work.
Old 01-12-2024, 07:52 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,792 Likes on 893 Posts

I did this on my 2016 GTS with a thinkdiag+.
it was just 4-5 clicks and a picking GT3 electronic steering software from a drop down. The actual change took a couple of seconds at the most.
What does the gt3 steering software change?

​​​​​​
Old 01-12-2024, 08:00 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I am using a Launch CRP919X and have a 982. Anyone know if the GT3 change can be made on a 982? I didn't think my Launch CRP919X can do autocoding? Where is this dropdown that lets you change the steering to GT3. My understanding is that the Thinkdiag and my CRP919X are pretty similar. Is this something that the Thinkdiag can do that my Launch CRP919X cannot.

Also,
I am not familiar with a Thinkdiag +. What can that do that the Thinkdiag can't? It sounds like it can perform autocoding like a PIWIS. Is that correct? I have until the end of the month to return my Launch CRP919X so if there is a better option I would like to know.
Old 01-12-2024, 09:00 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thegenius
You can make the change to early 991s and it changes the steering feel just as decribed with a Thinkdiag. You would get the warning on the dash. You could silence the warning with Thinkdiag at your own risk of missing other faults.
I did like the way the steering felt after the change to GT3 steering but I'm concerned that it may cause some kind of steering failure if I run it that way. Anyone been running GT3 mod after getting the dash warning?
Old 01-12-2024, 09:01 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Hello All,

Working on a 991.1S Cab

I got the unit primarily to program the top control from the keyfob and one touch from the switch but I can't get it to work. I was able to change all the values excepts for

"Rear-End Electronics: Coding value-Equipment-Eqipment for convertivle top control equipment available=Yes"

In the instructions I see that this should be "yes" by default but mine says "no" by default and when I try to write "yes" is gives me an error. If I select "no" and then write it succeeds so I'm not sure what is going on.

All the other modifications for the top control did write except for this one. I tried re-starting the car and the app but no dice. I also programmed one touch control from button and all those did write but that is not working either.

Since the description here is "Equipment for convertivle top control equipment available=Yes" I'm thinking that this one if key for both these top control changes (keyfob and one touch) to work so I'm hoping someone has some advise?

I did change the performance/torque display and emergency brake display and those work fine.

Thanks
Has anyone with 2012 991 Cab been able to get the top down keyfob mod to work?
Old 01-12-2024, 09:11 PM
Prius&991.1CS2
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
What does the gt3 steering software change?

​​​​​​
It completely changes the steering feel. After I went gt3 steering on my 2015 CS, the wheel went from heavy and linear to light and sharp.
​​​
Old 01-13-2024, 12:19 AM
Ken718B
Banned

Hello All,

Working on a 991.1S Cab

Thanks
Keep in mind that the instructions are for a 982. While other forum users have indicated that many of them work on the 991, it is possible that some may not. The code for Equipment for convertible top control equipment available was marked yes on my 982 so I did not need to change this in order to get the key fob working to put up and down the top. Since this code was already marked yes, I do not know if it is needed for one touch operation to put the top down. Both opening and closing the top with the key fob and one touch operation to put the top down are available in some countries outside the US and Canada on the 982 so the coding just permits something that can already be done on the car. Do you know if these functions are available on the 991 outside the US and Canada? I saw some discussions on the 992 that opening and closing the top is possible in some countries outside the US and Canada but that they have a different key fob that has an extra button.

If this is not possible with the 991, you may want to consider a Smartop which adds these functions and more to your car. Check out this site: smartTOP - Porsche 911 Convertible (991) (motivemods.com)
Old 01-13-2024, 12:27 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 537 Posts

+1 for Smart Top module
Old 01-13-2024, 01:21 AM
Ken718B
Banned

Has anyone with 2012 991 Cab been able to get the top down keyfob mod to work?
It seems a person going by the name yobiwan got it working on a 991.2.

Coding Fun - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

He indicates in the post that he doesn't know what coding he used to make it work but he was posting on the Rennlist 718 forum that the 718 coding was not working for him so my guess is that once he modified his key the coding worked.

Edited to add link to his posts on the Rennlist 718 site

PIWIS 3 Coding Retrofit and Feature Request - Page 31 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Hope this works for you.

Last edited by Ken718B; 01-13-2024 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-13-2024, 02:00 AM
Frankfurt1470
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Just for my understanding, the whole GT3-steering change works on 991.1 and 991.2?

Or 991.1 only?

Just want to find out before I try it.

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2024, 09:04 AM
thegenius
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankfurt1470
Just for my understanding, the whole GT3-steering change works on 991.1 and 991.2?

Or 991.1 only?

Just want to find out before I try it.

Thanks.
works only for .1. 991.1 Carreras and GT3 share similar components in the steering column. This coding sets the GT3 steering software calibration and changes the feel. Doesn't make it a GT3 though (steering feel is driven by other elements like suspension, calibrations... There maybe a feedback module in the gt3 that carreras don't have).
In the end it's still a must have setting in my opinion.
Old 01-13-2024, 10:55 AM
Ken718B
Banned

Originally Posted by thegenius
works only for .1. 991.1 Carreras and GT3 share similar components in the steering column. This coding sets the GT3 steering software calibration and changes the feel. Doesn't make it a GT3 though (steering feel is driven by other elements like suspension, calibrations... There maybe a feedback module in the gt3 that carreras don't have).
In the end it's still a must have setting in my opinion.
Any idea if this change can be made to a 718?

Quick Reply: Thinkdiag Magic