Sponsored by:

991 pricing is out of control right now

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 04:20 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 633 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by JuanK20
I have over 100K miles on my 991. Been toying with the idea of throwing it up for sale. I know that the tire kickers and garage queen collectors will say my car is only worth like $10k because of the mileage so i probably wont even post it here. Seems like the Rennlist community is so infatuated with owning low-mile neglected garage ornaments with deteriorated fluids than an actual driver's car.
if you really wanted to sell for a moonshot, you could sell your car on BaT as 'modified' and no reserve.

it could bite you in the *** but it might bring a lot if you marketed it correctly.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:51 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Sold car on consignment. It was worth the 10% fee for not dealing with tire kickers and low ballers. Car sold in two weeks
Old 10-26-2021, 04:58 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

recently sold 2 classic british bikes BSA and Norton,,everyone that has ever ridden any of these 2 was contacting me checking my knowledge of obscure facts of these bikes ...tire kickers supreme..PITA..they both sold at value in 2 days after 2 weeks of answering questions,,just not worth the BS///
Old 10-26-2021, 04:59 PM
JuanK20
Burning Brakes

Received 304 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
It's not really so much about avoiding "an actual driver's car"... but when all things are equal who in their right minds would choose a car with 100k miles over one with less than 30k???

It's a rhetorical question.
Umm ?? Obviously lol. All things wouldn't be equal. I wouldn't be asking 30K Mile 911 prices.

Originally Posted by jfischet
if you really wanted to sell for a moonshot, you could sell your car on BaT as 'modified' and no reserve.

it could bite you in the *** but it might bring a lot if you marketed it correctly.
I'm not really trying to sell. Just came across my mind a few times. My statement was more of an addition to Macan't and MJPosner's convo of dealing with the lowballers in the Porsche Community.

Last edited by JuanK20; 10-26-2021 at 05:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jfischet (10-27-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 09:55 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,142 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by JuanK20
Umm ?? Obviously lol. All things wouldn't be equal. I wouldn't be asking 30K Mile 911 prices.

I'm not really trying to sell. Just came across my mind a few times. My statement was more of an addition to Macan't and MJPosner's convo of dealing with the lowballers in the Porsche Community.
I get it, you're worried about people telling you your car isn't worth what you think it is. I'm sure it's worth plenty because these things don't grow on trees... but also I'm here to tell you that there just aren't that many 911s with that kind of mileage on them. My guess is the average mileage for used 991s probably hovers around 30k; I suppose that's why I pulled that number out of thin air. So for you to pretty much imply that low-mileage 911s are "garage ornaments" isn't necessarily a fair assessment... unless you're implying that nearly ALL 911s are garage ornaments, which actually is a fair assumption. That's just the nature of these cars; not many people choose to daily them.

So my comment was more about the market for 911s, and how that would define the types of prospective buyers you'd get. There's nothing wrong with your car, in fact the opposite, as you've validated with the mileage you've put on it! But there isn't really an established market for cars with this sort of excessive mileage... they're a rarity so you'd have to find a "special buyer"- which we all know is pretty much that guy that does a search on autotrader or craigslilst and sorts by lowest price. You'll get tons of calls, and I'm sure that would lead to tons of frustration.

I also recall you had a GT3 kit on your car? Yeah... just trade it. Nowhere near the hassle for the sort of riff-raff you'd have to put up with trying to sell privately. And honestly, the type of "Porsche people" who would comment about it on Rennlist are certainly not the types that would buy it anyway.

Same goes for the guy trying to sell his really, really yellow GTS. It's a great car, no doubt- but very polarizing. MOST buyers wouldn't take a second look at that car. It may be hard to sell as a result- unless he finds a guy who just so happens to REALLY like yellow.

Same went for my car! The one you see in my avatar also had factory painted interior in red. A TON of folks wouldn't have considered it- in fact, I skipped over it myself a couple times.

The trade value is more than generous at this point. If anyone is even thinking of moving on from their 991 (and has a legit "exit strategy" for what they'll replace it with...), they should probably consider taking action. The market is no question high right now- it may get higher, but it may get lower too.

Last edited by manifold danger; 10-26-2021 at 09:57 PM.
Sal635 (10-26-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 09:38 AM
JuanK20
Burning Brakes

Received 304 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I get it, you're worried about people telling you your car isn't worth what you think it is. I'm sure it's worth plenty because these things don't grow on trees... but also I'm here to tell you that there just aren't that many 911s with that kind of mileage on them. My guess is the average mileage for used 991s probably hovers around 30k; I suppose that's why I pulled that number out of thin air. So for you to pretty much imply that low-mileage 911s are "garage ornaments" isn't necessarily a fair assessment... unless you're implying that nearly ALL 911s are garage ornaments, which actually is a fair assumption. That's just the nature of these cars; not many people choose to daily them.

So my comment was more about the market for 911s, and how that would define the types of prospective buyers you'd get. There's nothing wrong with your car, in fact the opposite, as you've validated with the mileage you've put on it! But there isn't really an established market for cars with this sort of excessive mileage... they're a rarity so you'd have to find a "special buyer"- which we all know is pretty much that guy that does a search on autotrader or craigslilst and sorts by lowest price. You'll get tons of calls, and I'm sure that would lead to tons of frustration.

I also recall you had a GT3 kit on your car? Yeah... just trade it. Nowhere near the hassle for the sort of riff-raff you'd have to put up with trying to sell privately. And honestly, the type of "Porsche people" who would comment about it on Rennlist are certainly not the types that would buy it anyway.

Same goes for the guy trying to sell his really, really yellow GTS. It's a great car, no doubt- but very polarizing. MOST buyers wouldn't take a second look at that car. It may be hard to sell as a result- unless he finds a guy who just so happens to REALLY like yellow.

Same went for my car! The one you see in my avatar also had factory painted interior in red. A TON of folks wouldn't have considered it- in fact, I skipped over it myself a couple times.

The trade value is more than generous at this point. If anyone is even thinking of moving on from their 991 (and has a legit "exit strategy" for what they'll replace it with...), they should probably consider taking action. The market is no question high right now- it may get higher, but it may get lower too.
I appreciate your input, but lets just agree to disagree. I don't know where you're getting you're statistics from to say that "MOST buyers wouldn't take a second look" at a yellow GTS. Just because YOU don't like it, doesn't mean your opinion is the general consensus. Same goes with Red. Guards Red is one of the most sought after colors in the Porsche world so i'm sure a TON of people would of wanted your car. Looking at your avatar, i personally think its a beautiful car. So just because YOU skipped over it a few times, doesn't mean you can speak for the rest of us.

Also, regarding my car, yes it has GT3 Bumpers. Not sure why it matters but the bumpers are fully reversible. I can have the stock bumpers back on within an hour or two. So it's a bit different than having something permanent like Yellow paint. Anyway, I'm not worried about the bumpers at all, some people prefer the aggressive bumpers. My last 997 (in my avatar) had GT3 everything on it. It sold FAST. But the mileage wasn't as high. My post above was concern about mileage not mods. Also, ironically, I already have some DM's inquiring about the car just from my post of "thinking" of selling it. So i guess in this market i actually have much more options than to "Just Trade it". But hey, we are both entitled to our own opinions

Last edited by JuanK20; 10-27-2021 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:54 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

color is totally subjective - i.e. I love yellow, and I love signal even more so than race yellow. I'd buy yellow in a heartbeat

I've had MX blue and that was a looker. white is my fav as it hides dirt well. black is gorgeous but what a PITA.

personally I hate metalic colors, and IMO I can't imagine the world with anymore silver Porsches (and yes, I owned an arctic silver GT3)
The following 3 users liked this post by pissedpuppy:
desmotesta (10-27-2021), JuanK20 (10-27-2021), Z00mie (10-29-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 11:00 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,246 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
color is totally subjective - i.e. I love yellow, and I love signal even more so than race yellow. I'd buy yellow in a heartbeat
IMO that GTS isn't selling not because it is yellow but because $115k for a .1 GTS is just not a good value. A 50% premium in price for widebody and 30hp. If you are talking 4S, now it's just 30hp difference. The covid pricing is going to end at some point, and when it does the $115k GTS is going to go back to being $85k, and the $75k S are going to go back to being a $60k car.

You can get a lot more car for the money either in a 991.1 S for $40k less, or a 991.2 T, S, GTS, Turbo or GT3 for a little less to a little more money.

I would take this CPO GTS for $81k all day long instead. You can drive it worry free for 2 years (CPO) and sell it for what you paid to a little less even when the pricing corrects.
https://www.manhattanmotorcars.com/i...b2a92fs124811/

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 10-27-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:08 AM
ihbond
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
IMO that GTS isn't selling not because it is yellow but because $115k for a .1 GTS is just not a good value. A 50% premium in price for widebody and 30hp. If you are talking 4S, now it's just 30hp difference.

You can get a lot more car for the money either in a 991.1 S for $40k less, or a 991.2 T, S, GTS, Turbo or GT3 for a little less to a little more money.
WASHINGTON STATE AT STEALERSHIPS
2018 991.2 GTS sold for around 132k (around 3200 miles) (Rear steering, Front lift, Agate grey)
2018 991.2 4 GTS (Yellow) sold for around 145k with around 28,000 mile....

LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!!!!! And availability, Time of year, and other stuff im sure...
Old 10-27-2021, 11:10 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,064 Likes on 976 Posts

IMO that GTS isn't selling not because it is yellow but because $115k for a .1 GTS is just not a good value. A 50% premium in price for widebody and 30hp. If you are talking 4S, now it's just 30hp difference. The covid pricing is going to end at some point, and when it does the $115k GTS is going to go back to being $85k, and the $75k S are going to go back to being a $60k car.

this is why subjective commentary is so interesting. couldn't disagree more with your take of current market. The so called covid pricing is here to stay for a couple of years. You can save this post for reference.
that said, I lose or gain nothing with any of this as not in the market to buy Or sell.. we are all just lazyboy QBs (except those actually trying to sell or buy actively)

Last edited by desmotesta; 10-27-2021 at 11:14 AM.
jfischet (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 11:18 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,246 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
this is why subjective commentary is so interesting. couldn't disagree more with your take of current market. The so called covid pricing is here to stay for a couple of years. You can save this post for reference.
If you actually believed that you wouldn't spend your free time trolling the classifieds section trying to pump up the values of 991.1's telling buyers their cars are priced too cheap, or amazing deals at high prices.

Old 10-27-2021, 11:23 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

If you actually believed that you wouldn't spend your free time trolling the classifieds section trying to pump up the values of 991.1's telling buyers their cars are priced too cheap, or amazing deals at high prices.

I want to live in a world where what you are suggesting is possible.. then again, I look at my TD, Robinhood, M1 and webull accounts that are blowing up due to speculation and I wonder if we have always lived in such a world

what seems temporary is here to stay.. sad, especially for when we have to go out and buy something else.. its a new world.. get used to it (sadly)
Booth9999 (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 11:42 AM
drsubie
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would take this CPO GTS for $81k all day long instead. You can drive it worry free for 2 years (CPO) and sell it for what you paid to a little less even when the pricing corrects.
https://www.manhattanmotorcars.com/i...b2a92fs124811/
Not necessarily true...I was offered $110k 1st offer right off the bat for my '15 white 991.1 GTS, albeit it has <3k miles.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:43 AM
mrneef
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

I don’t understand why people don’t drive their 911s. It’s a damn car. Not like it’s a rare one. Why pay 6 figures for it to sit? I drive the crap out of mine.
The following 3 users liked this post by mrneef:
Class5Kayaker (11-02-2021), Dgags (10-27-2021), spyderbret (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 12:03 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drsubie
Not necessarily true...I was offered $110k 1st offer right off the bat for my '15 white 991.1 GTS, albeit it has <3k miles.
I have a written 6 figure TRADE-IN offer (offer not dependent on me buying, just cash buy, technically older than 7 days, so it has now expired) for my 27K mile .1 GTS..times, they are crazy..

FIL's 992 Tagra ready for delivery tomorrow , 12 months after it was ordered.. other 992 cars taking longer and no end in sight..

Quick Reply: 991 pricing is out of control right now