Sponsored by:

991 pricing is out of control right now

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 10:10 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
You can turn a 991.1 into a Touring-Lite for not too much money. I’ve whooped a couple on the track already.
just swap in some sephircal bushings, GT3 control arms for more aggressive alignment and wider track and maybe tractives and DSC, you will have a car that can handle at 95%+ of a GT3, but you still wont have that special power plant, but you will have 90%+ the fun and capable for normal non racing drivers.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joec500:
desmotesta (11-09-2021), JuanK20 (11-09-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 04:14 AM
mic_crispy
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
just swap in some sephircal bushings, GT3 control arms for more aggressive alignment and wider track and maybe tractives and DSC, you will have a car that can handle at 95%+ of a GT3, but you still wont have that special power plant, but you will have 90%+ the fun and capable for normal non racing drivers.

Yeah that's been my goal, touring lite:

B16 + dsc tuner
Solid top mounts
Adjustable end links
Bumpsteer kit
AP 350mm rotors
Plenum/headers/exhaust/filters/tune
Numeric shifter + cables
​​​​​​

Only other thing I want at this point are LCAs.
I know my car will never be a gt3, but imo I've gotten 85% there for 120k less (in today's dollars).
If it was like the good old days and a gt3 was 90-110k I never would have spent this much on parts... But that's just not reality anymore.

Last edited by mic_crispy; 11-09-2021 at 04:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JuanK20 (11-09-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 10:11 AM
JuanK20
Burning Brakes

Received 302 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
You can turn a 991.1 into a Touring-Lite for not too much money. I’ve whooped a couple on the track already.
Originally Posted by Joec500
Originally Posted by mic_crispy
Yeah that's been my goal, touring lite:

B16 + dsc tuner
Solid top mounts
Adjustable end links
Bumpsteer kit
AP 350mm rotors
Plenum/headers/exhaust/filters/tune
Numeric shifter + cables
​​​​​​

Only other thing I want at this point are LCAs.
I know my car will never be a gt3, but imo I've gotten 85% there for 120k less (in today's dollars).
If it was like the good old days and a gt3 was 90-110k I never would have spent this much on parts... But that's just not reality anymore.
And on top of all that, you can also add the bumpers/Aero to complete the "touring lite" feel.
Old 11-09-2021, 02:55 PM
6MT
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2018 991.2 GTS that I am considering listing. It's guards red, PDK, 12,350 miles. It is a CPO car, sticker was roughly $143k. It's got Bilstein PSS9s, HRE R101LW, OEM GT3RS side skirts, APR 93 octane tune and clear bra. I also have a set of new never installed Soul Cat Bypass pipes that will go with the car. Am I nuts to think it will go for $140k or maybe a little more in this market?
Old 11-10-2021, 12:20 PM
ASF-NS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pb Pedis
Still, I respect anyone taking full advantage of this unusual market and recouping their investment. I don't think anyone predicted this weird bubble we're all in now with these cars, but I would go so far as to say these 991 inflationary times will never come again.
Slightly off topic: I struggle with the phrase "recouping their investment". Do folks consider their daily drivers an investment? I sure don't. Between gas, maintenance, insurance, cost of capital (for some) over a few years of ownership, what number does one need to make to recoup their investment? These are sunk costs, you may recoup some of them when selling, but are you getting a real return?

I've been thinking about taking my highly optioned Agate 2015 C4S w/21k miles to Carmax for a "what if" quote. If they come in close to my all in price, I'd feel like I was able to rent a great car for free.

Best,

Old 11-10-2021, 12:46 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 633 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by ASF-NS
Slightly off topic: I struggle with the phrase "recouping their investment". Do folks consider their daily drivers an investment? I sure don't. Between gas, maintenance, insurance, cost of capital (for some) over a few years of ownership, what number does one need to make to recoup their investment? These are sunk costs, you may recoup some of them when selling, but are you getting a real return?

I've been thinking about taking my highly optioned Agate 2015 C4S w/21k miles to Carmax for a "what if" quote. If they come in close to my all in price, I'd feel like I was able to rent a great car for free.

Best,

if the quote came in at your all in price just smile and know you got a 911 for free. who wants to rent a car for free when you can own one? the pile of cash you'd get is getting more and more worthless by the minute.
Old 11-10-2021, 12:50 PM
ASF-NS
Intermediate

Should have been more specific.... if I were to accept the offer, but I'm interested.
Thx,
Old 11-10-2021, 12:51 PM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Best,

Well said.

Couple points: not everyone here uses these cars as transportation. For many, they're showpieces, trophies, or toys. And to some, the lucky few who get GT3 allocations early, for instance, they are commodities to be used for profit.

I personally can't ever imagine being in this financial position, but it's clear that this is happening all around us.

Second, to those who use these cars as (amazing) transportation, the costs of using them that you mentioned would be spent running any car. Maybe a 911 costs 30-50% more to run (gas mileage, insurance, maintenance) but it's always something you'll lose driving any car.

Speaking for myself, I reached a point in my life (and finances) where I could justify the extra expenses to get my dream car. BUT, part of what made that possible was knowing that the car's inherent value was going to be higher than other cars that cost a lot to run and are fun to drive (///M cars, AMGs).

Time will tell, but slow depreciation is a nice benefit of 911 ownership. And yes, this is exactly how I tricked my wife into saying "yes." 🤣
Old 11-10-2021, 01:29 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,051 Likes on 661 Posts

Slightly off topic: I struggle with the phrase "recouping their investment". Do folks consider their daily drivers an investment? I sure don't. Between gas, maintenance, insurance, cost of capital (for some) over a few years of ownership, what number does one need to make to recoup their investment? These are sunk costs, you may recoup some of them when selling, but are you getting a real return?....
No doubt there is ambiguity in the word investment when it comes to buying any car, especially a mass produced car. But these are weird times. My local dealer offered me $30K more than I paid for my car a year ago - and I don't have $30K in gas, maintenance, insurance or cost of capital in the car now. Everybody will do the math their own way, but if ever there was a time to recover some, all or more than their costs to acquire and own a 991, this must be it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pb Pedis:
myrr (11-10-2021), noahabel (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 01:55 PM
ASF-NS
Intermediate

100%+
Old 11-10-2021, 02:48 PM
360spider
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Appears I will be seriously looking for 991s later this week. The funds for my 360 should be wired to my account by end of week.
Good news is 360 sold for +25% over purchase price 5 years ago.
Bad news is 991s have risen +25%,or more, the last few years.
Thread has been very helpful. Insights based on experience are always the best market bellwether.
I am sure I will have questions going forward.
Old 11-10-2021, 04:25 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

roll the dice
Old 11-10-2021, 04:34 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 633 Likes on 367 Posts

we're all walking around with shrinking yardsticks marveling at the growth of everything
The following 3 users liked this post by jfischet:
TimboCarrera (12-29-2021), typehxr1 (11-28-2021), Z00mie (11-11-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 06:11 PM
Luca84
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg D.
That is *exactly* where I'm at (and I imagine a lot of folks). Figured a GT3 touring, used, would just about do me as my last ICE porsche, but the rarity/speculation/inflation/covid made that impossible. Well, unreasonable, or unpalatable, let's say.

My approach is therefore to lighten and tweak my 991.1, enjoy what I have and stick with it, and book a GT3 drive at PECLA or PECATL twice a year. It's cheaper all in all, and it satisfies the urge. Also, I still got back seats...

PS: 991.1 "Keep the 991.1 as a classic", that is kinda funny... Come drive my 1972 ;-) And even that is a step over SWB 911s or old. I'm honestly at the point where I'll probably sell my classic 911 and buy an electric city car for the boring stuff, save my 991 for fun stuff.
I love my 991 so much that I was also thinking to go GT3 just for the beautiful engine that it does have but after looking at the prices make sense to wait. I can't justify to pay basically more than new for one of these when I already have a very fun car. I wish that I had a crystal ball and had jump on a GT3 a couple years ago...lol

My dream is one day be able to configure one from the factory but I doubt it will ever happen looking how the market is going, allocations are unexistant or with some crazy mark ups.

Oh well, my 991 is plenty of fun (it's just I'm always hitching lol)
The following users liked this post:
noahabel (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 06:22 PM
AKITCHELL
Intermediate

hey guys . I'm one of the crazy people paying top dollar in a prime sellers market. 3 years ago i traded my 991 , pretty even swap for a cayenne tts. both were about 70k. just sold the ctts for 50 and re purchased a similar 991 for 75k. so in 3 years the cayenne took a decent hit while the 991 remained pretty steady.
At least that is what i tell my wife, to justify getting back in the 911 . She was so happy when we sold our old one . I feel like pricing is getting worse and worse , so id better grab one , while i can. Last of the non turbos. drastic step un in refinement from 997 , etc, etc, .
So glad to be back into my 911. look forward to reading these rennlist forums again. I just picked up a 2015, c4 cabrio in sapphire blue.

Quick Reply: 991 pricing is out of control right now