Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2021 | 11:24 AM
tlippold
Instructor

So I am in the market for a 991.1 PDK and prefer the Sport Chrono option. I am going to look at one being sold via private sale. Should I be concerned? It seems the issue is emissions related while driving in Sport+ and this does not impact safety or even state emissions testing. Any concerns with future values?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2021 | 11:35 AM
Southbranch
Pro

Too soon to tell what the impact on future values will be, if any.
Old 04-28-2021 | 12:02 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tlippold
So I am in the market for a 991.1 PDK and prefer the Sport Chrono option. I am going to look at one being sold via private sale. Should I be concerned? It seems the issue is emissions related while driving in Sport+ and this does not impact safety or even state emissions testing. Any concerns with future values?

Thanks!
You are correct, the issue is 100% emissions related.
You should be fine with a private party sale, that is if you can find one, inventory is extremely scarce and hence why prices are high. My .02 cents would be to find a lower mileage car, protect it with an aftermarket warranty (fidelity preferred) and you should be fine. This is NOT some Bore scoring or IMS issue which will affect future values.
Old 04-28-2021 | 12:23 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

If you REALLY want a 991.1 with PDK, take a pass on the Sports Chrono cars. That's what I did, after all, how bad could a 3,100 Lb. 3.8 car with 400 HP be? The Carrera S comes standard with PASM, not PASM Sport that lowers the car 20mm, and Porsche Torque Vectoring,
SPORT MODE 991.1

Taken from PCA Sales Brochure, supplied by a knowledgeable Rennlist Porsche in e-Form: “An exhilarating feature is the Sport button, now standard on the 911. The Sport button adjusts the engine’s response to suit one’s preferred driving style. Pressing the Sport button changes the electronic engine mapping so it engages a sharper throttle response. In vehicles with Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK), automatic upshifts take place at higher rpm’s, and downshifts happen sooner, while coasting mode of the PDK and the Auto Start Stop function are deactivated.In cars equipped with the optional sport exhaust system, a more assertive exhaust note is also activated. Turning the Sport button off allows the driver to adjust for a more leisurely driving style with smoother throttle response.”

He summarized:

Press Sport (Button) and you get the (almost) perfect car:

Throttle map change
PSE opens up
PSM is little bit more lenient
In Auto, higher shift points
In Manual perfectly crisp up shifts, and gorgeous blipped barks on downshift,
Higher idle
No more stupid start/stop when stopped
No more sailing (Coasting)
PASM stays standard (only stiffens up in Sport if you also manually press the PASM button)
Better cooling, engine oil runs cooler in Sport Mode (keep hearing 20 degrees cooler, sweet!)
Long story short, nearly perfect for backroad fun !
The following users liked this post:
desmotesta (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021 | 01:17 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

If anything I think it will make them worth more.
Vinh Nguyen (05-06-2021)
Old 04-28-2021 | 04:40 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
If anything I think it will make them worth more.
why?
Old 04-28-2021 | 04:58 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Fewer cars available with a desirable performance spec.
Old 04-29-2021 | 07:32 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by tlippold

Thanks!
None for me but others might differ. I want Sport Chrono especially in a PDK. It is a desirable option that will help resale.
Old 04-29-2021 | 10:32 AM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

I asked my Porsche dealer where I bought my car (2012 991.1 C2S PDK w/Sport Chrono) if they had any update on the whole situation. After double checking my VIN, they told me my car was not affected. I wonder why. Good enough for me though!
Old 04-29-2021 | 10:45 AM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wolpertinger
I asked my Porsche dealer where I bought my car (2012 991.1 C2S PDK w/Sport Chrono) if they had any update on the whole situation. After double checking my VIN, they told me my car was not affected. I wonder why. Good enough for me though!
Of course it's not affected, it's a "Stop Sale". Your car is not for sale and in dealer inventory.
Old 04-29-2021 | 11:00 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Fullyield
None for me but others might differ. I want Sport Chrono especially in a PDK. It is a desirable option that will help resale.
Recently I was possessed with the buy a 991.1 normally aspirated NA urge. I decided that the car I was to get, had to have a 2 year CPO warranty in place, or mostly full from a private party. In these times, sending money to a private party via wire, can be risky. You may be sending money to a "Ghost". With this bit of knowledge about 6 weeks ago I decided I would only buy from a Porsche Dealer. Much easier to confirm the legitimacy of a Porsche Dealer in contrast to a Private Party. In my soon to be new to me 991.1, it had to have:
  1. PDK
  2. Sport Exhaust
  3. PASM, noting the 991.1 S comes with PASM, Sport PASM lowering the car 20mm is an option you pay for. So not wanting an extra low car, I felt I could live with Sport PASM.
  4. PTV, it comes with the 991.1 Carrera S
  5. Sports Chrono, 3 modes of driving, launch control. I only wanted this so I could drive on the street in Sport Mode, and on DE days, I could use Sport + and hit redline in the first 6 years.
But before I had the opportunity to close a deal, equipped with at least Options #1 through #5, the PCNA Stop Sell order kicked in. I was unable to buy a 991.1 Carrera S with Sports Chrono from a Porsche Dealer. So being that I had already decided to buy only from a Porsche dealer, my options were now limited...Initially I thought my dreams of a 991.1 were crushed.

I reached out to the 991 Forum, and a knowledgable Reenlister provided me the info below. This led me to conclude that living without Sports Chrono wouldn't be all that painful. In a 991.1 equipped with PDK, probably manual too, there is a Sport Button..when engaged transforms the car, providing all the features I liked about Sports Chrono enjoyed on my former 2015 Cayman GTS with PDK, Sports Chrono, Sport Exhaust and PTV. The Paragraph below is taken from a PCNA Sales Brochure, the points below that are from my 991.1 Forum Rennister Guru. Based on these points I felt comfortable buying a used 991.1 Carrera S lacking Sports Chrono. Re-sale? In X years if you have a 991.1, a moderate mileage car with a clean CARFAx, and having at least PDK and Sport Exhaust, you'll be getting good money for it. Being that the 991,1 could be one of the best sports cars you can buy, re-sale is a moot point, you wont be selling it. And if you did? What better NA Porsche could you buy? I can't think of one.
SPORT MODE 991.1

Taken from PCA Sales Brochure, supplied by a knowledgeable Rennlister: “An exhilarating feature is the Sport button, now standard on the 911. The Sport button adjusts the engine’s response to suit one’s preferred driving style. Pressing the Sport button changes the electronic engine mapping so it engages a sharper throttle response. In vehicles with Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK), automatic upshifts take place at higher rpm’s, and downshifts happen sooner, while coasting mode of the PDK and the Auto Start Stop function are deactivated.In cars equipped with the optional sport exhaust system, a more assertive exhaust note is also activated. Turning theSport button off allows the driver to adjust for a more leisurely driving style with smoother throttle response.”

My Reenlister Guru summarized below and confirms the PCNA sales brochure verbiage seen above.

Press Sport and you get the (almost) perfect car:
  • Throttle map change
  • PSE opens up
  • PSM is little bit more lenient
  • In Auto higher shift points
  • In Manual perfectly crisp up shifts, and gorgeous blipped barks on downshift, (Especially with Sport Exhaust: Italics mine.)
  • Higher idle
  • No more stupid start/stop
  • No more sailing (Coasting)
  • PASM stays standard (only stiffens up in Sport if you alsomanually press the PASM button)
  • ​​​​​​​Better cooling, engine oil runs cooler in Sport Mode (Some say 20 degrees cooler: Italics mine).

Long story short, nearly perfect for backroad fun !
desmotesta (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021 | 11:13 AM
ICU991812
Instructor

The "start/stop" has a separate button you can turn off. Don't have to activate sport to turn that off. I must be driving boring country roads, I have yet to find use for the sport button that makes it feel better. I just feel a whole bunch of revving and not much more
Old 04-29-2021 | 11:18 AM
JuanK20
Burning Brakes

If you only want to buy a car from a Porsche dealer, then of course you'll be pleased with a Non-SC car. It's your only option. But Sports Chrono is definitely a desirable feature.
uphoto (05-05-2021)
Old 04-29-2021 | 11:31 AM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ICU991812
The "start/stop" has a separate button you can turn off. Don't have to activate sport to turn that off. I must be driving boring country roads, I have yet to find use for the sport button that makes it feel better. I just feel a whole bunch of revving and not much more
it’s useful on track with a PDK car, but for driving on the street or with a MT I agree. I have a Boxster GTS and never use Sport+ on the street.
Old 04-29-2021 | 11:49 AM
cyran
Advanced

I think for those of us more familiar with Cayman/Boxster, realizing the 911 already comes with a Sport button and you don’t need Sport Chrono for the same reasons why you need one in a C/B is a revelation.

I’m on the hunt for a PDK 991.1 and can comfortably scratch sport chrono off the list for my uses. Sport button gets me what I need.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?