Sponsored by:

DSC Sport V3 Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 03:10 PM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by uphoto
Haven’t read thru this whole topic but does anyone have experience with this in a GTS?
Aaron,

I am currently running the V3 in my 2014 991.1 and it transformed the handling of the car completely for all the spirited driving I do.
As others, highly recommend it as a perfect add on to any car.

Tom in Reno
The following 3 users liked this post by tmarino:
Sarawnty (03-10-2021), Tom@TPC Racing (03-10-2021), uphoto (03-09-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 03:35 PM
GT3FZS
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 93 Posts

Well, I finally got a break in the winter weather/cold/snow/rain in the past week, and today was spectacular. Sunny, warm (for western Maryland Appalachian mountains), and most of the snowmelt, gravel, and salt almost gone.

So, I installed the DSC Sport V3 Control Module on my 2019 Carrera T and thought I would share my impressions.

I woke up the T, after hibernating since early November in my heated garage, battery tender connected, and rodent protection installed. So after sitting 4 months, it started on the first try, smooth idle, no faults, no drama! Happy!

Reduced tire pressures on PS4's to 33/36 at 55 degrees and went for a 10-mile initial ride to get a baseline and remember what a great car the T is. Roads were dusty in places and occasional leftover cinders, sometimes mid corner.....surprise! The T ran great, better that I remembered, and I was happy to be reunited for a new driving season.

Put the car back in the garage, and armed with the video from Tom at TPC began the install process. All good.....until I tried removing the connectors from the stock controller. The small connector came off relatively easily, but the large one seemed to be connected with super glue. Of course, my vintage vision after 7+ decades of use didn't help, and there is not a lot of room to work. After a few (many) choice words I finally got the connector off, and the DSC install was straightforward. I did attach the USB cable and left it coiled up behind the rear seats, accessible if I want to change any settings or zero the ride height at a later date.

Now for the "after" ride....all I can say is WOW! Much less dive/squat, sharper turn-in, more stable corner exit under power, and reduced harshness in either Normal or Sport modes. I am a former Club Racer and HPDE student/instructor and do still drive "with gusto" on the street when conditions allow. I did manage to hit 88 corner exit and 94 out of another corner. The brief ride today convinced me that the DSC V3 is worth the price, it does up the handling and ride to what Porsche should have delivered in the SPASM equipped cars.BTW, my T has RAS, which I do like on the street.

So overall my initial impressions are very positive and I look forward to another great Porsche driving season.

The following 6 users liked this post by GT3FZS:
damien996 (03-10-2021), ngamountains (03-10-2021), poorshoeless (03-10-2021), SFZ GT3 (03-10-2021), Tom@TPC Racing (03-10-2021), Viper pilot (03-10-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-10-2021, 05:24 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 286 Posts

What file are you running? I have a T and have the T files installed from DSC/Tom, but I'd like to try the GT3 tour file. I've been wanting to change it for a while but don't have a PC and never seem to get around to it. A few members offered assistance last summer with swapping the file but I didn't take them up on it. For me the sport T file still has too much give before the suspension loads up. It makes it feel less predictable at turn-in, to me. Aside form that it's a great mod which enables a standard PASM suspension to feel far more GT like, in that magic balance of compliance and bite.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:30 PM
GT3FZS
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 93 Posts

I have the GT3 Touring file, pre-loaded by TPC.

Old 03-10-2021, 05:32 PM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by s4one
Traded my 991.2 for a Macan due to family obligations. PM me if you are interested in my DSC V3, only had it for few months. Have no use for it anymore.
Sent you a PM. Would like to get it. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:55 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 200 Posts

Leaning towards this - DSC v3 controller - as my next mod (currently getting the APR Stage 3 3.0T turbo upgrade installed on my 991.2 C2S). My car has SPASM, PDCC, sport chrono, so it has dynamic engine mounts and the 20mm lowered ride height. What I’m trying to understand is whether just the DSC V3 controller on its own will be a significant improvement or if I should also throw in the Tractive DDA R/T suspension upgrade. The car is not a daily driver, but some amount of comfort is important. I do track the car, so I’m very interested in improving the “turn faster” bits (“stop faster” bits are also under consideration, but thus far the stock brakes have been OK).

So just how much better will things be with the DSC V3 controller with the stock Carrera S suspension - I mean I get the 6ms vs 100ms reaction time with Tractive DDA will make a big difference, but what about without it? What files are available for it - I see there’s a Carrera T version, a GT3 Touring version. What else is available? Is there a GT3 version or a GT2RS version? Is it reasonable to assume that those different versions are progressively more aggressive, or is it something else entirely?
Old 03-10-2021, 08:46 PM
911toR8
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

its definitely noticeable and its a good thing but i noticed i have a lot of unfavorable bumpsteer after i installed it. I don't think the controller should cause the bumpsteer but i can't explain it any other way. I have the GT3 touring settings uploaded.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:06 PM
GONEIN10
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
The improvements with a new DSC V3 controller from DSC Sport is universal across the entire 991 model lineup.
both the TPC and DSC website say these are on back order. Any idea when they will be available?
Old 03-11-2021, 10:47 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by enzotcat
So just how much better will things be with the DSC V3 controller with the stock Carrera S suspension - I mean I get the 6ms vs 100ms reaction time with Tractive DDA will make a big difference, but what about without it? What files are available for it - I see there’s a Carrera T version, a GT3 Touring version. What else is available? Is there a GT3 version or a GT2RS version? Is it reasonable to assume that those different versions are progressively more aggressive, or is it something else entirely?
DSC V3 controller makes a very noticeable improvement with stock dampers. Don't just take my word for it, there are hundreds of users who can attest from enthusiasts to race drivers. This is because the stock controller doesn't use the stock dampers to their full potential. DSC adds damping force to individual dampers on the car to counter relative g-force and driver input making the chassis "more flat" during peak loading. Just by plugging in a new DSC V3 it feels like you have installed a set of entry level coilovers.

Since January 2021, all the new 991 DSC V3 controllers come with our GT Tour calibration file. Learning from the feedback of our customers we determined this is the more desirable, and the ultimate calibration file for 991 platform; optimizing comfort in Normal mode whilst maximizing stability for high performance/track driving in Sport mode within the stock suspension capability for each 991 model.

Having the Tractive coilovers takes the performance envelop to a whole new level much wider damper force range, faster reaction time to DSC commands, able to change to command during mid-stroke, superior structural design build quality to resist extreme lateral loading hence reduces Stiction/hysteresis. The damping force range starts softer than stock and tops out at Cup car level. The only limitation really becomes spring rate selection, which we consult with each customer to determine the best spring rates for the intended usage.

Since there's a good amount of followers on this thread, please allow me to take this opportunity to inform that going forward the coilovers offered by TPC Racing and DSC Sport will be referred to as DSC Sport coilovers, as a private label product manufactured by Tractive.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

The following 3 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
GT3FZS (03-11-2021), Sarawnty (03-11-2021), uphoto (03-12-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 10:51 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 911Pat
its definitely noticeable and its a good thing but i noticed i have a lot of unfavorable bumpsteer after i installed it. I don't think the controller should cause the bumpsteer but i can't explain it any other way. I have the GT3 touring settings uploaded.
Thanks for your feedback. Agree that the controller shouldn't cause bumpsteer. Have driven many 991 cars with DSC and have not experienced bumpsteer as a direct result.
The most common cause of bumpsteer is toe setting in the alignment, specifically not enough "toe-in". Have you had the alignment checked?
Old 03-11-2021, 10:53 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GONEIN10
both the TPC and DSC website say these are on back order. Any idea when they will be available?
DSC V3 controllers are currently in production. The estimated completion date is 04-15-21. The allocations from this production run are selling fast.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:42 AM
jaysc
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey @Tom@TPC Racing , I just installed a V3 and am struggling to get the CP210x driver to install on Windows running on Parallels on macOS. I think that I saw a comment where you mentioned having experience running the DSC software via Parallels. If so, have you ever experienced this issue? Maybe someone else here? The controller has the Carrera S file and I'd of course very much like to switch it over to the GT3 Touring file.

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide!
Old 03-12-2021, 07:51 AM
lngebrown
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I purchased the DSC 3 in 2019 for my 2019 T. Is there a download I should install to update?
Old 03-12-2021, 09:59 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jaysc
Hey @Tom@TPC Racing , I just installed a V3 and am struggling to get the CP210x driver to install on Windows running on Parallels on macOS. I think that I saw a comment where you mentioned having experience running the DSC software via Parallels. If so, have you ever experienced this issue? Maybe someone else here? The controller has the Carrera S file and I'd of course very much like to switch it over to the GT3 Touring file.

I am sorry I am unable to help on this one because:
1) DSC software is designed for Windows10. This is stated specifically during the registration to acquire the software. There have been users that have successful ran parallel but we have zero experienced whatsoever on this topic since the software was never designed for non-Windows.
2) Personally I am not an IT guy. I make other people at the shop download software on my PC and make it work. I am the guy for the chassis/software tuning.

Hopefully a user with parallel experience will chime in to help or PM you.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:01 AM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by jaysc

Probably your best bet is to use Boot Camp to install Windows on bare metal on your Mac and then you may have more success.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport V3 Control Module