Sponsored by:

DSC Sport V3 Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 12:02 AM
dsteding
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapter
‘my issues is the outside of the tires start chucking out at my current rear alignment of -2.8. Gope that the DSC can stiffen up the cornering shocks to 100% to help this situation out to get more life out of the tire.

see the picture example:
This is a tire choice problem, 4Ss are notorious for chunking on the outside edge like this, just not the right tire for aggressive track driving.
Old 09-06-2021, 12:21 AM
mic_crispy
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 162 Posts

Question, I needed to disconnect my battery for a airbag install. Does this reset anything / profiles on the DSC?
Old 09-06-2021, 05:13 AM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by dsteding
This is a tire choice problem, 4Ss are notorious for chunking on the outside edge like this, just not the right tire for aggressive track driving.
Do they really? I have had zero issues with my 4S tires. Edit: on the street, I thought I’ve heard of others tracking without issue though*
Old 09-06-2021, 05:17 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by vtgt
Do they really? I have had zero issues with my 4S tires. Edit: on the street, I thought I’ve heard of others tracking without issue though*
It really comes down to how hard you are driving.

PS4S is a 360TW tyre. It has no business being on a track with a capable driver. Even a Cup2 is really a high performance street tyre . They are great once at the track and then they are destroyed. Rain grooves are too wide.

TrofeoR are track tires. 60TW. Much finer water grooves.

Cup2-R are the serious track tire.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4 Point 0:
spyderbret (09-09-2021), vtgt (09-06-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 05:29 AM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

^Makes sense thx
Old 09-06-2021, 05:33 AM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mic_crispy
Question, I needed to disconnect my battery for a airbag install. Does this reset anything / profiles on the DSC?
AFAIK, this battery disconnect will not affect the DSC at all. I had my battery out for a day while out buying a new one and no issues occurred.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:58 AM
Rapter
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
It really comes down to how hard you are driving.

PS4S is a 360TW tyre. It has no business being on a track with a capable driver. Even a Cup2 is really a high performance street tyre . They are great once at the track and then they are destroyed. Rain grooves are too wide.

TrofeoR are track tires. 60TW. Much finer water grooves.

Cup2-R are the serious track tire.
I am getting about 3 track days before I have to rotate the fronts and rears left to right. And over all about 5 days before replacement.

I am made to understand that the relatively soft springs fitted to a stock spasm car give up the available mid-corner camber settings and the tire eventually rolls, then loses contact, and beats up the outside edge of the tire.

the rest of the tire is basically fine and ready for another 4-5 days but due to the chunking on the edges the tire is scrap earlier.

I am aiming to extend the tire life without changing into a coil-over kit and changing out the sway bars. This is the first step goal with DSC.
I want to maintain the daily drivability as this car is my school bus.

Now... off topic...

What other tires can I run on my 4s without damaging or pre-maturely wearing the four-wheel drive system ?

I have specifically stuck with the Michelin PS4S (n rated tire) to keep the overall tire dimensions the same compared to stock so that the four wheel drive system does not freak out or wear out.

if there is no technical reason to stick to then n rated tire I am all ears.

Can/ Would the all wheel system accept a Treffeo R (or another tire different from n rated) without even caring about the minute differences in the tires dimensions?

...I cannot say I have come across any forum thread speaking about a failed or worn all-wheel drive system.

Last edited by Rapter; 09-06-2021 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-06-2021, 11:43 AM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by vtgt
Yes, really. If you’re even remotely fast you will destroy PS4S on track inside of 2 20 minute sessions. I’ve done it 3 times (destroyed the tires within 2 track sessions - I’m a slow learner) before I switched to Cup 2s and then to Dunlop Sport Maxx 2 Race tires. As great as they are on the street, the PS4S are just not built for the track. If you’re doing one or two track days/year and you’re in one of the slower beginner groups, you’ll probably be OK, but anything beyond that you’re going to destroy them.

I get maybe 5 track days out of my Cup 2s, and I’ve gotten about 6 track days out of my Dunlops (tried them because I couldn’t get Cup 2s). The Dunlops are 80TW, while the Cup 2s are 200TW or thereabouts, but remember that it’s not really easy to compare UTQG ratings betweeen different manufacturers, it only applies within a single manufacturer, so Dunlop’s 80TW may be pretty close to Michelin’s 200TW.

Right now I’ve maxed out my negative camber and have a track alignment - that, more than anything, has made a big difference to tire life. Prior to that, my 1st set of Cup 2s only lasted 2 1/2 track days. I have not noticed any difference in tire life since putting in the DSC controller - as 4 point 0 notes, fixing your alignment and camber will do more than the controller. While the controller itself definitely makes a difference in how the car handles on track, I’m not of the opinion that it will help with tire life at all.
The following users liked this post:
vtgt (09-06-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 11:46 AM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 200 Posts

What other tires can I run on my 4s without damaging or pre-maturely wearing the four-wheel drive system ?
I would be *very* surprised if the 4WD system cared one whit about what tires are on the car from a durability perspective. If you care about using N-spec tires (and there are good reasons w.r.t. tread compound to do so), then Cup 2s, Cup 2 Rs, Trofeo Rs, Dunlop Sport Maxx 2 Race, Goodyear Supercar F3 and some others all come in N-spec, and most of them *should* have sizes that you want.
Old 09-08-2021, 04:28 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,988 Likes on 945 Posts

Just got my V3 today from a fellow Rennlist member, installed in 2 minutes and no lights errors etc. No need to disconnect battery.

There is nothing new I can say that other users havnt said already

Just took the car out of a quick 10 minute test drive. Very familiar back roads and a couple of butterfly ramps

Car is totally transformed.

in "normal"mode it soaks up bumps and road imperfections like never before. Even leaving the house the difference was noticeable within first 10 yards of driving.
In "Sport" mode the car is noticeably more agile, far less body roll (even though body roll wasn't much of a problem with Sport-PASM Suspension )

I have to say, initially in this short test drive, the biggest difference is how car stays flat near near "street limits". I wasn't paying attention to the speed and ended up entering a butterfly ramp significantly faster than I ever had and correcting the car so I could follow the line was easy, without drama and most importantly without any body roll at those speeds and G-forces.
The following 3 users liked this post by desmotesta:
ngamountains (09-08-2021), spyderbret (09-09-2021), vtgt (09-08-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 06:09 PM
Rapter
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
Just got my V3 today from a fellow Rennlist member, installed in 2 minutes and no lights errors etc. No need to disconnect battery.

There is nothing new I can say that other users havnt said already

Just took the car out of a quick 10 minute test drive. Very familiar back roads and a couple of butterfly ramps

Car is totally transformed.

in "normal"mode it soaks up bumps and road imperfections like never before. Even leaving the house the difference was noticeable within first 10 yards of driving.
In "Sport" mode the car is noticeably more agile, far less body roll (even though body roll wasn't much of a problem with Sport-PASM Suspension )

I have to say, initially in this short test drive, the biggest difference is how car stays flat near near "street limits". I wasn't paying attention to the speed and ended up entering a butterfly ramp significantly faster than I ever had and correcting the car so I could follow the line was easy, without drama and most importantly without any body roll at those speeds and G-forces.

I installed my V3 on my 991.2 yesterday as well. Your summary above would be my summary word-for-word. The only thing I can add, but is implied in your summary above, is that the V3 DOES provide a VERY positive noticeable (and comfortable ???how....????) improvement to front end feel. For reference my car is a 991.2 4s with rear axle steering and spasm.

You can really lean on the front end hard during corners and breaking and trail breaking much more than before without any drama.

Amazing technology ...

I noticed that when I switch to sport + the “shock led” does not illuminate any more. Are others finding the same issue when switching to Sport + ?
desmotesta (09-08-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 06:16 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

Correct, no sport plus turning on the firm setting on the shocks. Even in individual mode. You have to manually select with the dsc. Also no flashing shock button to indicate you are in launch mode.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:16 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 660 Posts

Amazing technology ...

I noticed that when I switch to sport + the “shock led” does not illuminate any more. Are others finding the same issue when switching to Sport + ?
No. In fact what happens is it remembers where you leave it. If you turn the car off, it doesn’t go back to normal. If you had it last in sport, the light remains on and it starts in sport.
desmotesta (09-08-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 06:20 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 285 Posts

Anyone care to provide a “V3 for dummies” synopsis of what it does and how? Interested but, can’t wrap my head around exactly what it does and if it is worth the $$. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:28 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,988 Likes on 945 Posts

I installed my V3 on my 991.2 yesterday as well. Your summary above would be my summary word-for-word. The only thing I can add, but is implied in your summary above, is that the V3 DOES provide a VERY positive noticeable (and comfortable ???how....????) improvement to front end feel. For reference my car is a 991.2 4s with rear axle steering and spasm.

You can really lean on the front end hard during corners and breaking and trail breaking much more than before without any drama.

Amazing technology ...

you are absolutely right, you put it in words better than I did - I put that ( feeling like one can lean in corners) down towards a surprisingly better feel and feedback from front end over stock, must say I wasn't expecting my novice self to be able to feel the improvement in "feel".

Also, one thing I forgot to mention is that the suspension finally feels "Active". As in for the first time there is a difference between how suspension feel in a straight line Vs cornering. In Stock form (with S-PASM), it just similar in corners as it did in a straight line.
My "G meter" reads 1.31 after a 10 mile test drive which is the highest it has ever read (take the gimmicky sensor with a grain of salt ) Last lateral G figure was a 1.24 which was recorded after I switched from Zero to MP4S tires.

Last edited by desmotesta; 09-08-2021 at 06:31 PM.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport V3 Control Module