Old 12-03-2020, 12:47 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by usccharles
Thanks again.

I did a few hours of driving after work tonight tinkering around with my laptop. Here is what I found to be most comfortable:

Normal Mode: GT3 Tour File Sport mode with Default rate to 25.0
Sport Mode: GT3 Tour File Sport mode with Default rate to 50.0

You are correct, I tried riding with G-Comfort off and it was too rough.

Is it okay for me to bring the Default rate up to 50.0? I dialed Default rate to 50.0 and it most closely mimicked factory sport +, but without the rough edges, and turned my car into like a street drivable factory Sport +. I'll have to go to track and see how it turns out, but the modes feel pretty good on my preference.

I am LOVING my new Normal mode. the default rate at 25.0 is exactly my street preference.

Thank you!
Glad you have tuned your DSC to your satisfaction. Once you dive in the software is pretty user friendly.

I find that 50% Default Rate does not offer optimal weight transfer for me for track. But if that's the feel you desire than by all means. My personal preference is no more than 30% on OEM dampers. My fastest Default Rate setting on my GT3 with DSC Tractive coilovers is 15%. The lower Default Rate makes turn-in super awesome during times when g-force drops such as in sections of the track that has side to side transition turn without braking(slalom like). But for traditional turns after a braking zone the Default Rate really doesn't matter because trail braking to the apex produces enough g-force and brake line pressure input(Load) for DSC to command the damper to their upper range of stiffness. DSC is active to Load. Load = damping force. See images of Load below.

Credit to drivingfast.net for this image that I have added orange color notes on to.

The Friction Circle below is for example only. It is not to scale and not to actual shape relative to the DSC table.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 12-04-2020, 01:15 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks Tom.

I think ultimately you are right regarding lower Default rate being more optimal. It's just such a comfortable ride that I think I'm just mentally uncomfortable after years of being used to factory suspension setup. and either the roads in my city are particularly smoother or I just prefer more firmer ride, but I am really enjoying the 25 Default rate on the street. I will toggle between Normal and Sport at my next track day see the the rides feels and goes. I'm guessing once I get more used to Default rates, I'll start to lower the percentages more.

in any case, I'm so amazed how adjustable these modern cars are. just a few clicks on the laptap and factory suspension can feel so different. unbelievable.

I think morons like me just need more learning and experience to get the most out of DSC at track. For anybody who mainly uses 911 for street, I can confidently say DSC was best bang for buck spent on my car. feels so good to be able to drive around in Sport + in the city.

The following 3 users liked this post by usccharles:
CT_Peter (12-04-2020), GT3FZS (12-04-2020), Sarawnty (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 11:05 AM
dannyss
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

usccharles,
Your roads must be very smooth! Lucky you
My Normal setting's Default Rate is 3! I use Normal in the city. Very bad roads in Montreal. And on certain highways, deformation of the tarmac creates unintentional speedbumps. And not to mention potholes.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:34 PM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by dannyss
usccharles,
Your roads must be very smooth! Lucky you
My Normal setting's Default Rate is 3! I use Normal in the city. Very bad roads in Montreal. And on certain highways, deformation of the tarmac creates unintentional speedbumps. And not to mention potholes.
I live in the city center of Seoul, South Korea! smooth roads abound here
Old 12-05-2020, 12:58 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 660 Posts

USCCHARLES, I understand what you are saying.

The new map almost feels to comfortable to be on the track.

For my car now, it’s like Tom has suddenly educated it on what a bump is. It used to panic after hitting bumps, like a startled cat. Now it just ignores them. Doesn’t get unsettled at all. It certainly has more lateral grip.

We have quite rough roads here, and i do enjoy a firmer ride. To be honest, whilst i love the track map, it still feels better than the normal map.

It feels like Tom spent 500 hours developing the track map, and last 20 mins on the street map. 🤣.

Ok, the street map is rubbish, but it doesn’t matter at all, because the track map handles everything so well.

I think the street one is too floaty/bouncy. Its like it has increased the length of travel of the springs. The event takes too long to end, if that makes sense.

I don’t know that I will even bother changing it, as i kinda like the fact of driving my track car on the street, comfortably.

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 12-05-2020 at 01:00 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 4 Point 0:
AndrewLakes (03-22-2023), Omega4 (12-05-2020), usccharles (12-05-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 05:10 AM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
USCCHARLES, I understand what you are saying.

The new map almost feels to comfortable to be on the track.

For my car now, it’s like Tom has suddenly educated it on what a bump is. It used to panic after hitting bumps, like a startled cat. Now it just ignores them. Doesn’t get unsettled at all. It certainly has more lateral grip.

We have quite rough roads here, and i do enjoy a firmer ride. To be honest, whilst i love the track map, it still feels better than the normal map.

It feels like Tom spent 500 hours developing the track map, and last 20 mins on the street map. 🤣.

Ok, the street map is rubbish, but it doesn’t matter at all, because the track map handles everything so well.

I think the street one is too floaty/bouncy. Its like it has increased the length of travel of the springs. The event takes too long to end, if that makes sense.

I don’t know that I will even bother changing it, as i kinda like the fact of driving my track car on the street, comfortably.
4 Point 0, I totally agree with you. I too think normal mode is rubbish. Too floaty/bouncy. So the other day I moved the GT3 Sport mode to the normal mode and made a much stiffer mode as my new Sport mode as my track focused option. Then I had a bit of a revelation today! Why keep my track mode always programmed in my car and render the mode useless on the street, when I can always upload said mode before going to the track! duh!

So I moved the original GT3 Sport Mode (Default Rate increased to 25) back to Sport mode.

For my Normal mode (and if you get a chance Please try this) I used the GT3 Sport map, kept the Default rate of 20.0, but changed the Sensitivity to 25 and G Rate Max to 30.0. Now it is the perfect Normal mode. butter soft initially with no bounce and float, yet just as firm as Sport map when moving hard. Try it out, you'll thank me

Now I really have usable Normal and Sport modes.
The following 5 users liked this post by usccharles:
AndrewLakes (03-22-2023), Mcx (12-14-2020), Omega4 (12-05-2020), Sir Ducer (06-27-2021), thesaintusa (02-01-2021)
Old 12-05-2020, 10:38 AM
dannyss
Racer

It's winter time in the great white north and the car is stored for the next 5 months, can't try out other's suggestion on the DSC
The following users liked this post:
Klwise (03-02-2022)
Old 12-06-2020, 12:04 AM
usccharles
Pro

It's winter time in the great white north and the car is stored for the next 5 months, can't try out other's suggestion on the DSC
geez 5 months without your 911, how cold does it get?? winter tires not good enough?
Old 12-06-2020, 12:15 AM
usccharles
Pro

Well the folks down at DSC must be doing something right.

As long as I've owned my car, the fastest 0-60 i personally have been able to manage was 3.32 seconds.

I just stopped my car on the side of the road for a quick test today and clocked 3.28 seconds, on my first and only attempt.

Happy. Thank you DSC Sport!

The following 2 users liked this post by usccharles:
Omega4 (12-06-2020), Tom@TPC Racing (12-08-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 10:20 AM
dannyss
Racer

usccharles,
It's not only the cold but the snow and ice. Here in Québec they put down salt and sand and gravel on all roads.
Winter tires would be good, but we've decided not to use the Porsche during the winter. Also, because of the pandemic I work from home full time so no need for a car to go see clients. And if I absolutely need to drive somewhere I can use my wife's BMW X1. It will be a long 5 months.

Last edited by dannyss; 12-06-2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:29 AM
usccharles
Pro

usccharles,
It's not only the cold but the snow and ice. Here in Québec they put down salt and sand and gravel on all roads.
Winter tires would be good, but we've decided not to use the Porsche during the winter. Also, because of the pandemic I work from home full time so no need for a car to go see clients. And if I absolutely need to drive somewhere I can use my wife's BMW X1. It will be a long 5 months.
i'll be thinking about you while i enjoy my 911 during the winter months and will be sending happy thoughts! Korea also has four full seasons so it does get pretty salty and grimy here as well. And I do also have a Tesla Model 3 I use as my rough weather commuter. I only like to take the 911 out only on dry clear days throughout the year. i just hate seeing my baby get dirty. But if you havent before, I would highly recommend you get a set of winter tires and perhaps if you are able to find a clear dry winter weekend, to go out and enjoy your Porsche! I resisted winter tires for 2 years, with the excuse that my car was 4 wheel drive, but oh man, winter tires is up there in terms of good upgrade investments for a 911. winter driving when weather permits is So So fun. just my two cents. cheers

Last edited by usccharles; 12-08-2020 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-08-2020, 02:55 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

A very satisfied DSC V3 user sent us this nice photo from The Nürburgring. He has a lot of years of experiencing driving The 'Ring and he loves his 991.2 GT3RS with DSC V3 controller.
His quote:
DSC works at The Ring perfekt - see picture

The following 8 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
Carlo_Carrera (12-29-2020), CT_Peter (12-09-2020), EvilBoffin (12-09-2020), GT3FZS (12-08-2020), Mcx (12-14-2020), pfbz (12-08-2020), Sarawnty (12-08-2020), tgavem (12-29-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-29-2020, 08:48 PM
UFreefer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom or anyone who knows,
Do you still support and offer maps to the v2 controllers?
Old 12-29-2020, 09:05 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,478 Likes on 793 Posts

Fyi if you buy a dsc that came from a 991.2 and want to use it on your 991.1 you have to pay $250 for dsc to reprogram it. I belive the same is if you go 991.1 to a 991.2 application.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:54 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Fyi if you buy a dsc that came from a 991.2 and want to use it on your 991.1 you have to pay $250 for dsc to reprogram it. I belive the same is if you go 991.1 to a 991.2 application.
Yes, it is correct that the DSC V3 controllers are vehicle generation specific. I have written about this in number of different posts. Here's the generation arrangement:
  • 991.1 DSC V3 controller is compatible on all 991.1 generation cars(Carrera, Carrera S, C4, C4S, GTS, Turbo, Turbo S, GT3 and GT3RS) and all 981 generation cars(Boxster/Cayman, Base, S, GTS, Spyder, GT4).
  • 991.2 DSC V3 controller is compatible on all 991.2 generation cars(Carrera, Carrera S, Carrera T, C4, C4S, GTS, Turbo, Turbo S, GT2RS, GT3, GT3 Touring and GT3RS) and all 718 generation cars(Boxster/Cayman, Base, S, GTS, Spyder, GT4).
The generation difference is for the purpose of communication compatibility to match the other electronic systems that are on the car for proper function.
With the correct generation of DSC V3 controller for the car, the Calibration File can be changed readily by the user for the vehicle model(i.e., Carrera, Turbo, GT3, etc.)
Conversion for generation on a DSC V3 controller is possible by sending it to DSC Sport. The conversion is no charge to the original purchaser for one year. For non-original purchaser and after one year conversion fee applies.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport V3 Control Module