DSC Sport V3 Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 10:54 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3FZS
Also , I did not order the optional cable ($10 maybe I should have?),
Nothing special about the cable, it's your typical USB A to mini-B cable. I do suggest you install the controller with the cable attached and feed the cable somewhere accessible so that you can communicate with the controller without having to pull everything apart again.
Just a few bucks on Amazon or like many you already have a bunch lying around.

The following 2 users liked this post by pfbz:
GT3FZS (12-04-2020), Sarawnty (12-02-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 11:00 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Hi Tom,

What happens to the Tractive Shocks if you add 1000lbs of downforce to the car?

Asking for a friend. 🤣🤣
Need to find new friends...........how do they even fit in the rear of the GTS

Last edited by Norge911; 12-01-2020 at 11:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gnp991.2 (11-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2020, 05:41 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts
Default An Update after Track day

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
Glad you like your DSC Sport controller with GT3 Tour file. You can really hammer it on track in Sport mode!

Hi Tom,

So I had a chance to do a track day with the GT3 Tour File.

Conditions were perfect dry fall weather. FYI my tires (Michilin cup 2s) already had one full track day on its belt, so not at its peak grip.

Surprisingly, while i'm so impressed with the G Comfort Parameters on the streets, now on the streets it's always on Sport + mode with DSC Sport setting, I found this to be soft and distracting for me at the track. While the car felt amazing at high G Force, I didn't really care for the initial G-Comfort ranges. The G-Comfort made the drive much smoother and drivable on the street, but on the track, it made me uncomfortable.

I think where I live, the streets are smooth enough that I would never use Normal setting. Therefor, I want to make the current DSC Sport setting to be my Normal setting, and I wish to have a more track focused harder setting made for the Sport setting. Is this something you could help program a new file for me? I'm a moron with tech, so I don't want to touch anything and mess anything up in the tuning program. FYI, I like the stiff feeling of factory Sport+ suspension on the track. It would be great if I can have that feeling with the active dampening done by DSC.

Further FYI, I rode my best lap time on a prior track day, with fresh tires and factory Sport +. The last track day, with one day used tires and DSC Sport mode, I was surprised at how much the car was gripping and my *** felt like I was driving as quick as the prior track day, but I was consistently 1.5-2 seconds slower on my lap times with DSC vs Factory. But the car felt very planted and my guess is the DSC was making up for my less optimal tires, and i was running far better lap times than had the car had been all factory.

Please let me know if you can help. Sorry if I should be PMing you instead
Onad (12-03-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 10:08 AM
dannyss
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

I'll let Tom properly answer your request,
But, do you know you can mix and match different "normal" and "sport" settings tables from the different DSC files available on their website?
For my Normal settings i've got the base 991 "normal" settings table and for the Sport I've loaded the GT3 or GT3RS "sport" settings table.
For daily driving around town, my Normal is a slightly modified base 991 Normal table and when going to the mountains I either use the GT3 Touring Sport table or the GT3RS Sport table depending on what I want to try that specific day.
With their software, both settings table file can be modified and loaded individually.
You can also modify the settings of each table.
So why not have your Normal setting use the GT3 Sport settings Table and you Sport setting loaded up with the GT3RS Sport table. and from there have Tom suggest modifications.

Last edited by dannyss; 12-02-2020 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:24 AM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by dannyss
I'll let Tom properly answer your request,
But, do you know you can mix and match different "normal" and "sport" settings tables from the different DSC files available on their website?
For my Normal settings i've got the base 991 "normal" settings table and for the Sport I've loaded the GT3 or GT3RS "sport" settings table.
For daily driving around town, my Normal is a slightly modified base 991 Normal table and when going to the mountains I either use the GT3 Touring Sport table or the GT3RS Sport table depending on what I want to try that specific day.
With their software, both settings table file can be modified and loaded individually.
You can also modify the settings of each table.
So why not have your Normal setting use the GT3 Sport settings Table and you Sport setting loaded up with the GT3RS Sport table. and from there have Tom suggest modifications.
thanks for your feedback. I’m just really a moron with tech so I’m trying to see if I can squeeze some freebie good will from Tom 😅

I did already download the GT3RS file and am at the edge of trying to tinker with it, but I thought I also read somewhere (trying to read everything before writing here) that the GT3RS sport table is the same as the Touring sport table? Atleast in terms of the comfort parameters in sport setting? If that is the case, then it is not going to help me at the track, as it’s the comfort parameters I currently find too much. So therefore, I’m not sure if I should then just shut turn the comfort parameters off. And if I do that I don’t know if I’m causing other side effects along the way. The track I ride seems clearly a smooth track but I don’t want to make my car stiffer than the stock sport+ setting.

hope that makes sense 🙏🏼

Old 12-02-2020, 11:30 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Hi Tom,

What happens to the Tractive Shocks if you add 1000lbs of downforce to the car?

Asking for a friend. 🤣🤣
It depends on the highest vehicle speed achievable at a particular track during the fast corners. The peak downforce typically occurs at 150+mph. Using a stock 991.2 GT3RS as an example, this example car is advertised to have 770 lbs of peak downforce with the wing set to max angle. This peak amount of downforce on this car comes in at 180+mph. Another example here, if the fastest corner at a particular track is 120mph, then only a fraction of the peak amount of downforce is available at that speed. The point of these examples is there's no straight up answer. Your DSC Speed table is already programmed to add 40% more damping force at 150mph. Generally, if you are running 160nm or higher rate rear spring you should be fine ...Unless of course the fast corners are near the top speed of the car. In which case an open wheel formula car or a prototype race car would be more ideal than a GT car.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 12-02-2020, 11:45 AM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by usccharles
thanks for your feedback. I’m just really a moron with tech so I’m trying to see if I can squeeze some freebie good will from Tom 😅

I did already download the GT3RS file and am at the edge of trying to tinker with it, but I thought I also read somewhere (trying to read everything before writing here) that the GT3RS sport table is the same as the Touring sport table? Atleast in terms of the comfort parameters in sport setting? If that is the case, then it is not going to help me at the track, as it’s the comfort parameters I currently find too much. So therefore, I’m not sure if I should then just shut turn the comfort parameters off. And if I do that I don’t know if I’m causing other side effects along the way. The track I ride seems clearly a smooth track but I don’t want to make my car stiffer than the stock sport+ setting.

hope that makes sense 🙏🏼
I have had the same experience with the DSC stock settings, "sport" is too soft for the track.
Download the Software User Manual.
Tom had me bump up the G Comfort Parameters "Default Rate" from 20 to 30. Update, then write to sport file.
On my own, I also changed the Shock Calibration Table LF/RF range to 1300 - 1, and the LR/RR to 1300 - 400. Set those to the 0% and 100% boxes, "fill empty", update, and write to sport file.

Tom, please give your recommendations for additional changes for a TRACK (sport file). The car is easily upset at speeds over 130 (speed table changes?).
Old 12-02-2020, 01:40 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fsmich
I have had the same experience with the DSC stock settings, "sport" is too soft for the track.
Download the Software User Manual.
Tom had me bump up the G Comfort Parameters "Default Rate" from 20 to 30. Update, then write to sport file.
On my own, I also changed the Shock Calibration Table LF/RF range to 1300 - 1, and the LR/RR to 1300 - 400. Set those to the 0% and 100% boxes, "fill empty", update, and write to sport file.

Tom, please give your recommendations for additional changes for a TRACK (sport file). The car is easily upset at speeds over 130 (speed table changes?).
Thanks for your input.

Sounds like you have stiffen the your Sport mode calibration a good amount. You shouldn't need more stiffness, unless there's something else going in. A car's stability can feel upset when its too soft or too stiff. Either can upset the car's stability by wanted toe change with too much/too fast suspension movement from too soft, or insufficient weight transfer from too stiff. Without being there in person, I don't know which. As an example, myself and many others DSC users have driven the esses at Watkins Glen and VIR at that range of speed using the standard DSC file with no issue. Given that you have already stiffened the Sport mode Shock Cal to 1300-1mA the dampers are already maxed out at 60% load. This is something we have not done before on any car. You could try 1000-1mA to see if it makes a difference... otherwise you might be having an alignment toe issue. Or its needs to go the other direction to take out some stiffness.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:49 PM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks for your input.

Sounds like you have stiffen the your Sport mode calibration a good amount. You shouldn't need more stiffness, unless there's something else going in. A car's stability can feel upset when its too soft or too stiff. Either can upset the car's stability by wanted toe change with too much/too fast suspension movement from too soft, or insufficient weight transfer from too stiff. Without being there in person, I don't know which. As an example, myself and many others DSC users have driven the esses at Watkins Glen and VIR at that range of speed using the standard DSC file with no issue. Given that you have already stiffened the Sport mode Shock Cal to 1300-1mA the dampers are already maxed out at 60% load. This is something we have not done before on any car. You could try 1000-1mA to see if it makes a difference... otherwise you might be having an alignment toe issue. Or its needs to go the other direction to take out some stiffness.
The 1300-1 wasn't much of a change in feel compared to your stock sport 1400-100. 60% load maxed out vs 65%? My issue with stability is touching the brakes at turn-in at 130+. Turn 1 down the hill at Laguna. And traffic causing braking into turn 8 at Willow. The rear end moves around ( no downforce?) and I'm trying to compensate with your controller.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:55 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hi Tom,

So I had a chance to do a track day with the GT3 Tour File.

Conditions were perfect dry fall weather. FYI my tires (Michilin cup 2s) already had one full track day on its belt, so not at its peak grip.

Surprisingly, while i'm so impressed with the G Comfort Parameters on the streets, now on the streets it's always on Sport + mode with DSC Sport setting, I found this to be soft and distracting for me at the track. While the car felt amazing at high G Force, I didn't really care for the initial G-Comfort ranges. The G-Comfort made the drive much smoother and drivable on the street, but on the track, it made me uncomfortable.

I think where I live, the streets are smooth enough that I would never use Normal setting. Therefor, I want to make the current DSC Sport setting to be my Normal setting, and I wish to have a more track focused harder setting made for the Sport setting. Is this something you could help program a new file for me? I'm a moron with tech, so I don't want to touch anything and mess anything up in the tuning program. FYI, I like the stiff feeling of factory Sport+ suspension on the track. It would be great if I can have that feeling with the active dampening done by DSC.

Further FYI, I rode my best lap time on a prior track day, with fresh tires and factory Sport +. The last track day, with one day used tires and DSC Sport mode, I was surprised at how much the car was gripping and my *** felt like I was driving as quick as the prior track day, but I was consistently 1.5-2 seconds slower on my lap times with DSC vs Factory. But the car felt very planted and my guess is the DSC was making up for my less optimal tires, and i was running far better lap times than had the car had been all factory.

Please let me know if you can help. Sorry if I should be PMing you instead
Thanks for your input. Glad you like the improved comfort for street and increased total grip on track.

The standard DSC calibration was developed in collaboration with pro race car drivers to take advantage of the full range of the dampers to dynamic load for track use; starting the damping force soft, when G-force load is introduced the DSC commands the dampers to stiffen up to counter the relative G-force load in real time. DSC operates dynamically(or actively) to G-force load. On track, it is ideal and fastest to drive to the edge of the Friction Circle(aka G-force Circle). DSC calibration optimizes grip and stability to the G-force load in the Friction Circle.

Explaining Friction Circle.

Pro Driver Mike Skeen driving a DSC equipped car. Watch the Friction Circle before the turns.

It sound like you are expecting the damper stiffness to be there before the load builds up like the factory PASM controller does. We didn't program the DSC controller this way because its not the fastest. Slower lap time can be from any number of external factors as well, such as feeling something that's unexpected causing hesitation. Without being a professional driving coach to review data/video from lap times what I can suggest to eliminate one variable is to turn off the G Comfort Parameter by entering 0.0 in the G Rate Max value box in Sport mode. With G Comfort Parameter turned off the damping starts at 50%. See image below. This will give the static stiffness you are expecting before any load occurs. But it will give up some initial tire bite. Personally, I wouldn't do this on my car but if static stiffness is your preference then go for it.

I just want to add that I think it is a matter of expectation and getting used to the new feel of a dynamic(active to load) suspension and adapting to trust that the dampers will stiffen to load. Which is what DSC does. But if increasing the static stiffness works for you then do what works for you. You can write the current Sport mode to your new Normal mode, and then use the turned off G Comfort as your new Sport mode since it starts at 50%.

Yes, you should totally email me because now everyone reading this thinks DSC doesn't work. LOL
Bry5on (12-02-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 03:06 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fsmich
The 1300-1 wasn't much of a change in feel compared to your stock sport 1400-100. 60% load maxed out vs 65%? My issue with stability is touching the brakes at turn-in at 130+. Turn 1 down the hill at Laguna. And traffic causing braking into turn 8 at Willow. The rear end moves around ( no downforce?) and I'm trying to compensate with your controller.
Sounds like the front dampers are maxed out and the car needs downforce. You could mask the deficiency by adding more rear toe-in, or you could try increase the DSC Brake table 20% on the car to assist the front to reduce dive, this may stable the rear. If this helps then its really a rear toe issue that DSC is helping is mask.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:39 PM
usccharles
Pro

I just want to add that I think it is a matter of expectation and getting used to the new feel of a dynamic(active to load) suspension and adapting to trust that the dampers will stiffen to load. Which is what DSC does. But if increasing the static stiffness works for you then do what works for you. You can write the current Sport mode to your new Normal mode, and then use the turned off G Comfort as your new Sport mode since it starts at 50%.

Yes, you should totally email me because now everyone reading this thinks DSC doesn't work. LOL
Thanks so much for your reply. Great that I can connect directly like this. And I hope you are being sarcastic! I'm totally loving DSC. The combination achievable of softness and firmness from the stock suspension just by changing the module to DSC is dumbfounding.

It's because I was so impressed by DSC on the street that it was surprising to me that the improvement I felt in initial softness on the street did not translate for me positively on the track. And you are correct, there were alot of other external factors. It was my first day out on track with DSC (so I clearly need more getting used to time), my tires were not fresh, and the prior track day before this I had a gangbuster of an awesome day with my best lap times. But it also dawned on me that, prior to DSC install, atleast where I live and the track I drive, I did not have any issues with the static stiffness of the suspension in factory sport + at the track. the track I mainly call home is quite smooth except for one corner, and that corner i've already learned to manage on Sport +. My only real issue was the static stiffness being too stiff on street. I was never comfortable driving sport + on the street. Now with DSC I can enjoy Sport + PDK setup and DSC Sport suspension setting all day everyday and I tell you its a new car again, and I've had my car since 2017!

I'm going to have to get some fresh tires on come spring and test out the different modes. (cross my fingers and knock on wood i don't screw the programming) but I'll go ahead and try to change the normal setting to the GT3 Touring Sport setting and create a new Sport setting with the G-comfort turned off. One question, is the GT3 Touring Sport setting and GT3RS Sport setting the same parameters or different? Do you recommend I stay with GT3 Touring with G-comport turned off or try the adjustment with the GT3RS setting? Obviously I can try both and see for myself but I thought I read somewhere here that the GT3 Touring and GT3RS files are same at their Sport settings.

thanks again
Old 12-02-2020, 11:02 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 660 Posts

It depends on the highest vehicle speed achievable at a particular track during the fast corners. The peak downforce typically occurs at 150+mph. Using a stock 991.2 GT3RS as an example, this example car is advertised to have 770 lbs of peak downforce with the wing set to max angle. This peak amount of downforce on this car comes in at 180+mph. Another example here, if the fastest corner at a particular track is 120mph, then only a fraction of the peak amount of downforce is available at that speed. The point of these examples is there's no straight up answer. Your DSC Speed table is already programmed to add 40% more damping force at 150mph. Generally, if you are running 160nm or higher rate rear spring you should be fine ...Unless of course the fast corners are near the top speed of the car. In which case an open wheel formula car or a prototype race car would be more ideal than a GT car.
Actually that's a great point. The fastest turns on the tracks I go to are 130mph. The only time you are above that speed at 150MPH + is on the straights. My car is not speed limited, and there is only one track here that has a straight long enough to pull 180MPH on the straight. Its a couple of states away. I should have full Aero before going there. My main tracks you top out at 150MPH on the straights.

So you don't see any issue of ripping down the straight at 180MPH, a quick stab on the brakes to pull it back to 130MPH, back on the gas, and hang the tail out around the corner at 130MPH? Besides shredding tyres. Passengers generally start to scream louder than the tyres at that point.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:43 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

One question, is the GT3 Touring Sport setting and GT3RS Sport setting the same parameters or different? Do you recommend I stay with GT3 Touring with G-comport turned off or try the adjustment with the GT3RS setting? Obviously I can try both and see for myself but I thought I read somewhere here that the GT3 Touring and GT3RS files are same at their Sport settings.
The GT3 Tour file and GT3/RS file have the same Sport mode. The difference between the two files is Tour has softer Normal mode.

As for making a change, you'll have to try to see for yourself. It is a personal preference. But not my personal preference.
Sarawnty (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 10:15 AM
usccharles
Pro

The GT3 Tour file and GT3/RS file have the same Sport mode. The difference between the two files is Tour has softer Normal mode.

As for making a change, you'll have to try to see for yourself. It is a personal preference. But not my personal preference.

Thanks again.

I did a few hours of driving after work tonight tinkering around with my laptop. Here is what I found to be most comfortable:

Normal Mode: GT3 Tour File Sport mode with Default rate to 25.0
Sport Mode: GT3 Tour File Sport mode with Default rate to 50.0

You are correct, I tried riding with G-Comfort off and it was too rough.

Is it okay for me to bring the Default rate up to 50.0? I dialed Default rate to 50.0 and it most closely mimicked factory sport +, but without the rough edges, and turned my car into like a street drivable factory Sport +. I'll have to go to track and see how it turns out, but the modes feel pretty good on my preference.

I am LOVING my new Normal mode. the default rate at 25.0 is exactly my street preference.

Thank you!

Quick Reply: DSC Sport V3 Control Module