Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC Sport V3 Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 12:40 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 255 Posts

Tom, quick advice requested. I have a 991.2 C4S Cab with V3 installed. After getting it, I installed some lighter than OEM forged HREs. The fronts were each 4lbs lighter and the rears were each 6lbs lighter than stock wheels. With the lighter wheels, the ride seemed much more compliant, but on occasion, a bit too soft. Having recently sold the HREs and gone back to OEM wheels, I notice the ride is much firmer. Is that just increased suspension responsiveness from the much lighter wheels? Is the DSC automatically compensating for the change in unsprung weight? I never added a Mini-USB capable when installing my DSC module but now rethinking that as maybe I need to play around with different maps. I’d kind of lime something in between what the car felt like with the HREs and OEM wheels, as I will be getting another set of HREs in the Spring.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:47 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,204 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by mc3456
I never added a Mini-USB capable when installing my DSC module but now rethinking that as maybe I need to play around with different maps.
You should to Zero out the ride height with a laptop when you install the unit to get best performance. I would try that first.

I never noticed any suspension weirdness going between different weight wheels (Stock vs HRE).

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1161...n-and-dsc.html

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 09-18-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:08 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
You should to Zero out the ride height with a laptop when you install the unit to get best performance. I would try that first.

I never noticed any suspension weirdness going between different weight wheels (Stock vs HRE).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title
Why would you need to zero out height if you don’t lower the car? I bought it directly from DSC Sport and it was supposed to be plug and play. The only thing I changed was the wheels, which I assumed with less unsprung weight would allow the PASM to react quicker/more efficiently if having to damp less weight/momentum. Am I wrong?
Old 09-18-2020, 01:13 PM
tosha
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title
This is no longer applicable to V3. It uses relative ride height values to compute piston velocity, so this is a moot point.

The documentation is out of date.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:22 PM
tosha
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Tom, quick advice requested. I have a 991.2 C4S Cab with V3 installed. After getting it, I installed some lighter than OEM forged HREs. The fronts were each 4lbs lighter and the rears were each 6lbs lighter than stock wheels. With the lighter wheels, the ride seemed much more compliant, but on occasion, a bit too soft.
Were the tires and psi different than on other wheels? The tires are part of the suspension and have a damping effect. I believe they’re often modeled as additional spring rate, which is a function of tire wall construction and psi.

Around town mapping is challenging partly because tire pressure doesn’t go up very much during slow driving. Once on the highway, the additional 4+ psi has noticeable effect on comfort. Depending on where in the “sweet spot” range you are, more psi can actually add stability and remove the bouncing you probably observed.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:47 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tosha
This is no longer applicable to V3. It uses relative ride height values to compute piston velocity, so this is a moot point.

The documentation is out of date.
Ah thanks. I have a V2.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:41 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

Tom, quick advice requested. I have a 991.2 C4S Cab with V3 installed. After getting it, I installed some lighter than OEM forged HREs. The fronts were each 4lbs lighter and the rears were each 6lbs lighter than stock wheels. With the lighter wheels, the ride seemed much more compliant, but on occasion, a bit too soft. Having recently sold the HREs and gone back to OEM wheels, I notice the ride is much firmer. Is that just increased suspension responsiveness from the much lighter wheels? Is the DSC automatically compensating for the change in unsprung weight? I never added a Mini-USB capable when installing my DSC module but now rethinking that as maybe I need to play around with different maps. I’d kind of lime something in between what the car felt like with the HREs and OEM wheels, as I will be getting another set of HREs in the Spring.
The difference in the ride quality that you feel is likely not from the weight of wheels. Typically the ride quality feel for street use has more to do with the diameter of the wheels, the tire size, the tire compound, and tire pressure than the weight/material of the wheel. Examples: Changing from 20" wheel to 19" wheel the ride will feel softer. Changing from Michelin Cup2 to 4S the ride will feel softer. Dropping the tires pressure 2 psi the ride will feel softer. This is because the tires/wheels is part of the car's "spring rate".

DSC adjust the damping force commands to the driver's input in real time. It will also adjust to the tire's grip in real time via g-force. But it does not adjust to the ride quality of changing tires/wheels, the user would have to do that if one particular tire/wheel combo feels 3% softer than another combo...

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

The following users liked this post:
Tier1Terrier (02-18-2024)
Old 09-18-2020, 02:46 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

...also, age hardened old tires will ride stiffer.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:50 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
...also, age hardened old tires will ride stiffer.
Same exact tires swapped over to different rims, same air pressure on same size wheels, just heavier wheels vs lighter wheels.

My question has more to do with how the DSC Sport actually works. Isn’t it supposed to adjust damping rates dynamically vs the OEM’s “static” damping rate, no? If so, shouldn’t a lighter wheel create less momentum/force going over a bump, hence the suspension not needing to firm up the damping rate as much to accomplish the same thing? Shouldn’t that alone provide a more supple/compliant ride if the damping doesn’t need to act as aggressively to control the rebound of the heavier wheel going over a bump? All I can say is that going to the lighter forged HREs, saving 6lbs/rear wheel & 4lbs/front wheel, dramatically changed the ride on the car. I noticed it when the HREs were first put on, and then felt the opposite effect when the heavier cast OEM wheels were remounted. Again, same exact set of tires and same air pressure.

Last edited by mc3456; 09-18-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:28 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Same exact tires swapped over to different rims, same air pressure on same size wheels, just heavier wheels vs lighter wheels.

My question has more to do with how the DSC Sport actually works. Isn’t it supposed to adjust damping rates dynamically vs the OEM’s “static” damping rate, no? If so, shouldn’t a lighter wheel create less momentum/force going over a bump, hence the suspension not needing to firm up the damping rate as much to accomplish the same thing? Shouldn’t that alone provide a more supple/compliant ride if the damping doesn’t need to act as aggressively to control the rebound of the heavier wheel going over a bump? All I can say is that going to the lighter forged HREs, saving 6lbs/rear wheel & 4lbs/front wheel, dramatically changed the ride on the car. I noticed it when the HREs were first put on, and then felt the opposite effect when the heavier cast OEM wheels were remounted. Again, same exact set of tires and same air pressure.

DSC adjusts to g-force changes and to other inputs on the car's computer network. It does not adjust to the weight of the wheels, unless the weight of wheels causes a detectable change in the travel velocity of the suspension, which they likely do not.
Sorry I have no explanation for you as to why the same set of tires on different wheels changes the ride quality. If anything, I would have guessed that the forged wheels would ride stiffer due to less flex.
I'm off to racing.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
EvilBoffin (09-19-2020), Sarawnty (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 05:33 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

^^ the combined tire and wheel weight makes a 4 and 6 lb difference much less of an overall affect (under 10%). Exactly where the weight differs matters too. It certainly isn’t at the outer diameter as the same tires account for that. Could be the cast rim is stiffer than the aftermarket’s rim, which is probably thinner as it’s rolled. Surely not the case here but I’ve yet to hear a person who bought marginally lighter wheels not believe they can feel the difference. I’m betting the aftermarket rim has some comparative flex to it.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:02 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
Glad you liked the DSC Sport controller on your GT4. You can use the same DSC Sport controller from your 981 GT4 on your 991.1 50th. I think you'll like the DSC GT3 Tour calibration file on your 991.1.
That GT3 Tour file is fantastic! Just gave it a try on my 991.1 S today. Firmer, sharper, even gear changes feel more solid.
The following 2 users liked this post by koala:
AdamSanta85 (09-18-2020), Tom@TPC Racing (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 06:12 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by koala
That GT3 Tour file is fantastic! Just gave it a try on my 991.1 S today. Firmer, sharper, even gear changes feel more solid.
Agreed. Thank you very much for all your help Tom. I ran my 991.1S with B16's and DSC/GT3 Touring file at the track this past weekend. I was passing a couple GT-R's all day once we got into the twisty sections... and that was on Pirelli P Zero...

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 09-18-2020 at 09:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AdamSanta85:
EvilBoffin (09-19-2020), Sarawnty (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 10:12 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
^^ the combined tire and wheel weight makes a 4 and 6 lb difference much less of an overall affect (under 10%). Exactly where the weight differs matters too. It certainly isn’t at the outer diameter as the same tires account for that. Could be the cast rim is stiffer than the aftermarket’s rim, which is probably thinner as it’s rolled. Surely not the case here but I’ve yet to hear a person who bought marginally lighter wheels not believe they can feel the difference. I’m betting the aftermarket rim has some comparative flex to it.
The rims together are 20lbs+ lighter, so 6 lbs+ lighter per rear rim and 4 lbs+ lighter per front rim. That is not insignificant. Forged rims are much stronger than cast rims, not more “flexible”. In a golf analogy, forged golf clubs feel much better than cast clubs, as they do not transfer harsh vibrations into your hands. Anyway, still questioning why people would state that a lighter, stronger rim would not allow the suspension to be more efficient/responsive at adjusting damping of bumps, especially if the DSC Sport is purportedly measuring and adjusting damping in real time.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:16 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Are your HREs P101SCs or R101s? They slightly look different than the P101s that I had before selling them.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport V3 Control Module