Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 12:15 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by mic_crispy
Im interested but have afew questions...

First, unlike most here i actually dont think the OEM sport setting is too harsh. Could use some cleaning up in the corners and rebounding, but the last thing i want to do is make the car softer in any way (outside of maybe the comfort setting).
Currently I have Bilstein B16s, Elephant mounts, bumpsteer kit, adjustable sway bar end links and a pretty aggressive alignment.

Given the above, would DSC recommend and be able to make me a custom file to fit my needs?
The DSC GT3 Tour file works amazing with B16. No need to make custom file, IMO. The strategy of DSC active/dynamic suspension control is using the full damping range of the dampers(from full soft to full stiff) and the driver and the car's action to trigger the commands each damper in real time. Each car model/each damper model has its own operating range. Within that operating range, the physics of driving is universal (i.e., braking put weight to the nose, cornering puts weight to the outside of the car, etc.), DSC commands stiffer damping force to counter the load of the weight transfer to optimize stability and grip.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 04-14-2021, 12:18 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by pfbz
Is anyone running the GT3 Touring DSC configuration on a 991.1 Turbo?

Feedback?

People rave about this config file, but I don't know if it's appropriate on the Turbo platform (vs. the DSC Turbo configuration).
Yes, I have driven many 991 Turbo's. GT3 Tour file is awesome. It is so awesome across the entire 991-platform that it become the standard cal file for all the new DSC V3 controllers since 01/2021.
The following users liked this post:
pfbz (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 10:15 PM
GP20
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
Yes, the new units starting from 01/2021 have GT3 Tour files.
Thank you Tom for confirming! But for my 4 GTS, if I want to download the current normal mode setting and also the previous (non-GT3T) Sport mode setting, which file names should I download? Thanks again!
Old 04-15-2021, 08:49 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GP20
Thank you Tom for confirming! But for my 4 GTS, if I want to download the current normal mode setting and also the previous (non-GT3T) Sport mode setting, which file names should I download? Thanks again!
The files are complete(as in a file contain both normal and sport mode). You cannot download a portion of a file. A file download is the complete file in its entirety. The non-GT3 Tour file as labelled as 981, 981 GT4, 991, 718. For V3 only.
Personally I think the GT3 Tour file is the ultimate.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:05 PM
MotorCityDriver
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Tom,
Just installed the DSC Sport Controller, and the buttometer says huge improvement on my 15 911.1 Turbo. Being a novice what are the differences between the factory unit and the magic box you sent me.
Huge thank you,
Graham
Old 04-21-2021, 12:51 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 200 Posts

@Tom@TPC Racing - just received my new DSC Sport V3 controller. I assume it has the GT3 Touring file preloaded on it. I have some questions that I wonder if you could help with:

First, my car is a 2017 7MT 991.2 Carrera S, SPASM, PDCC, Sport Chrono, RAS with the APR K04.3 GTS turbos + APR Stage 3 tune, so according to APR's dyno charts it will put out some 554hp/556lb-ft torque in sport/sport+ mode. My accelerometer tells me I can get acceleration of around 1.02G on the street (I haven't yet been to the track - that's coming up in May).

I have seen earlier in this thread that there is another file that is a modified GT3 Touring file with, I think the lower end of the sport range has been shorted by around 10% so it will be a little bit stiffer.

Given that my car is tuned, and I very much want improvements in traction and drive for the track, should I be looking at changing parameters a little more in sport chassis mode? I'm definitely going to try the abovementioned file that stiffens up sport mode a little, but sometimes things that seem like the right thing to do (stiffening up a little) counterintuitively wind up doing the wrong thing. Are there perhaps other files that have a more track-oriented sport mode?

Next, what is the "driveline" setting - the manual has it as "track", but the actual app lists it as "driveline". I'm guessing that this is not used in the 9x1, but it's not clear to me what, if anything, it is used for.

What is 9x1 w/ LNC vs 9x1? I believe it's something to do with launch control, but I've no idea what it applies to - does it apply only to PDK cars with sport chrono (and therefore launch control), or does it apply to any car with sport chrono, or is it something else entirely?

Given that I have SPASM, sport chrono, PDCC, RAS, do I need to do the zero travel or zero ride height thing?

Last edited by enzotcat; 04-21-2021 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:59 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MotorCityDriver
Tom,
Just installed the DSC Sport Controller, and the buttometer says huge improvement on my 15 911.1 Turbo. Being a novice what are the differences between the factory unit and the magic box you sent me.
Huge thank you,
Graham
I concur with your buttometer. Suspension tuning is a lot about feel, which inspires confidence, which increases fun factor.
There's so much info on how DSC works on this forum alone that it will require a good search and read to learn about.
Here's a short version on how it works-

The following 4 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
GT3FZS (04-21-2021), MotorCityDriver (04-22-2021), Sarawnty (04-21-2021), Speed2k (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 01:16 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by enzotcat
@Tom@TPC Racing - just received my new DSC Sport V3 controller. I assume it has the GT3 Touring file preloaded on it. I have some questions that I wonder if you could help with:

First, my car is a 2017 991.2 Carrera S, SPASM, PDCC, Sport Chrono, RAS with the APR K04.3 GTS turbos + APR Stage 3 tune, so according to APR's dyno charts it will put out some 554hp/556lb-ft torque in sport/sport+ mode. My accelerometer tells me I can get acceleration of around 1.02G on the street (I haven't yet been to the track - that's coming up in May).

I have seen earlier in this thread that there is another file that is a modified GT3 Touring file with, I think the lower end of the sport range has been shorted by around 10% so it will be a little bit stiffer.

GIven that my car is tuned, and I very much want improvements in traction and drive for the track, should I be looking at changing parameters a little more in sport chassis mode? I'm definitely going to try the abovementioned file that stiffens up sport mode a little, but sometimes things that seem like the right thing to do (stiffening up a little) counterintuitively wind up doing the wrong thing. Are there perhaps other files that have a more track-oriented sport mode?
All new DSC V3 controller from 2021 has our newest GT3 Tour file. This file has proven to work great on higher power cars such as 991 Turbo S and GT2RS. DSC commands the dampers to have 100% output during peak loading periods. The commands cannot exceed 100% because that is the maximum output from the OEM dampers. I highly recommend users try our file before we making any changes. We have a lot of time and $ invested in making this file with the upper-range of the files made on track. Stiffen doesn't necessarily equal to more grip. Users often miss the point of active control, the driving g-force makes the command track-oriented. Should you find that your preference is to raise the low-end of the range that can be done easily by upping the Default Rate inside the G Force Table. I have written this many many times. But please try it before making changes.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:29 PM
enzotcat
Pro

All new DSC V3 controller from 2021 has our newest GT3 Tour file. This file has proven to work great on higher power cars such as 991 Turbo S and GT2RS. DSC commands the dampers to have 100% output during peak loading periods. The commands cannot exceed 100% because that is the maximum output from the OEM dampers. I highly recommend users try our file before we making any changes. We have a lot of time and $ invested in making this file with the upper-range of the files made on track. Stiffen doesn't necessarily equal to more grip. Users often miss the point of active control, the driving g-force makes the command track-oriented. Should you find that your preference is to raise the low-end of the range that can be done easily by upping the Default Rate inside the G Force Table. I have written this many many times. But please try it before making changes.
Perfect, thanks. I'm not planning on changing anything until I've done some track days and gotten experience with the standard GT3T file. Some more questions if I may:

What is the "driveline" setting - the manual has it as "track", but the actual app lists it as "driveline". I'm guessing that this is not used in the 9x1, but it's not clear to me what, if anything, it is used for.

What is 9x1 w/ LNC vs 9x1? I believe it's something to do with launch control, but I've no idea what it applies to - does it apply only to PDK cars with sport chrono (and therefore launch control), or does it apply to any car with sport chrono, or is it something else entirely?

Given that I have SPASM, sport chrono, PDCC, RAS, do I need to do the zero travel or zero ride height thing? I'm assuming not unless I go and load other files, but figured I'd ask anyway.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:25 PM
MotorCityDriver
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I concur with your buttometer. Suspension tuning is a lot about feel, which inspires confidence, which increases fun factor.
There's so much info on how DSC works on this forum alone that it will require a good search and read to learn about.
Here's a short version on how it works-

https://youtu.be/kAJBu8sJ2x8
Tom thank you for the video link explains a lot for those of us who don't want to experiment with a laptop and just enjoy the drive.

All the best,
Graham
Tom@TPC Racing (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 11:07 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MotorCityDriver
Tom thank you for the video link explains a lot for those of us who don't want to experiment with a laptop and just enjoy the drive.

All the best,
Graham
My pleasure. That is the point of the DSC active suspension with a wide dynamic operating range- for the driver to drive and enjoy! Maybe we made the mistake from the beginning of providing user's with software...LOL
CT_Peter (04-24-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 08:12 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

I haven’t seen much on the 992 forum, but will a DSC unit be available for it?
Old 04-26-2021, 08:56 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I haven’t seen much on the 992 forum, but will a DSC unit be available for it?
992 DSC in early development stage. No further info avail at this time. No projected release date at this time. Info will be announced when closer to release date.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:05 AM
dannyss
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

One of the reason why I got a 991.2, was the availability of the DSC. The best first mod to the 991 platform.
Old 04-26-2021, 03:00 PM
enzotcat
Pro

@Tom@TPC Racing some quick questions:

1. What is the "driveline" setting - the manual has it as "track", but the actual app lists it as "driveline". I'm guessing that this is not used in the 9x1, but it's not clear to me what, if anything, it is used for. Is it for dynamic engine mounts?
2. What is 9x1 w/ LNC vs 9x1? I believe it's something to do with launch control? I saw the TPC launch control video, but in my 7MT if I have the car in gear, clutch in, and stab the accelerator pedal, I get no blinky-flashy PDCC light. Do I have to change the car selection to 9x1 w/ LNC to enable that?
3. Should I do the zero ride height procedure if I am not changing any settings and just installing the controller? Neither the manual nor the video for doing the procedure indicate *when* you should do so.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport V3 Control Module