Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 08:24 AM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Just, curious as to why anyone would want a phone mount if you've gone to all the trouble to upgrade to wireless CarPlay/Android Auto? Mine stays in the glove box charging, and everything I might want to use while driving is in a CarPlay app.

I was thrilled to be able to lose my phone hanging there, once I had Mr12Volt installed.
Originally Posted by ZedZed
You do kinda lose some things. The obvious one is you lose the opportunity to have a touch-screen that looks and operates like it's from this century rather than the last. Plus, of course, you have to butcher the PCM to install the add-on board so you immediately lose the OEM-ness of the PCM. Granted, you can always remove the board to revert back to OEM - but with the Android units, your PCM remains totally intact and untouched, so you can revert to the original PCM, which an opened and altered PCM can never be. But the good thing is that there is a choice - some will choose sticking with the outdated PCM while retaining the original look of the car, others will choose to update and upgrade. Everyone's happy!
I don't believe "butcher" is an appropriate term. The only thing damaged permanently is the seal sticker on the side of the pcm.

Following your logic I would say the android replacement is butchers the audio quality the factory fiber-optics offer.

I've tried the pcm replacements. I prefer the mr12volt. The unit does not feel so old as you say. I always advise future buyers to try a side by side and not listen to internet people. Usually at the shop I have a few with various kits. 9 out of 10 times people choose the mr12volt. Just comparing your perception to the actual choices people have made.
​​​​​​

Our website is now LIVE! please visit us at www.ACSByRoman.com

COUPON CODE "toys" FOR FREE INSTALL KIT!

On site install is available in the Philadelphia PA area as is Global shipping!

CLICK HERE JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP
The following 2 users liked this post by Roman ACS:
Foosh (05-17-2024), shammerman (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 09:37 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Roman ACS
I don't believe "butcher" is an appropriate term. The only thing damaged permanently is the seal sticker on the side of the pcm.
That is true for those who manage a successful installation of the board with no problems. But it isn't very easy and more than one member has reported a FUBAR'd PCM as a result of trying. That's why I recommend professional installation for these 'internal' solutions. They are a tricky DIY proposition IMO.

Following your logic I would say the android replacement is butchers the audio quality the factory fiber-optics offer.
I think this issue of audio quality is very much overplayed. For context, I am what some might call an 'audiophile', although I dislike the term myself, and have been for many years. At home I have a tube amp, high-end turntable/cartridge and very good speakers and I also have a dedicated, professionally designed and installed home theater with professional sound equipment installed for Dolby Atmos 13.1. Having said that, I notice very little difference between the Bose sound in my Panamera before I installed my aftermarket HU and after. Of course, the interior of a car is an absolutely dreadful acoustic environment for sound reproduction, as well as having huge physical limitations on the speakers themselves. I very much doubt if anyone installing an Android HU will have much to complain about regarding the SQ. I realise that you are in the business of selling Mr 12V though and so you will, rightly, promote the benefits of superior sound, even if it is in reality more of an illusion than a genuine practical consideration. That's just my $0.02 of course.

I've tried the pcm replacements. I prefer the mr12volt. The unit does not feel so old as you say. I always advise future buyers to try a side by side and not listen to internet people. Usually at the shop I have a few with various kits. 9 out of 10 times people choose the mr12volt. Just comparing your perception to the actual choices people have made.
​​​​​​
I tend to think that the entire purpose of people using a forum such as this is that they are quite interested in listening to 'internet people'! Even to those people with a vested interest in one product or another

Like I said, it is good to have choices and I am sure that those who have opted for the add-on board solution are generally happy with that choice. As are those who have chosen the Android units.
The following users liked this post:
Chuck245 (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 09:45 AM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

That is true for those who manage a successful installation of the board with no problems. But it isn't very easy and more than one member has reported a FUBAR'd PCM as a result of trying. That's why I recommend professional installation for these 'internal' solutions. They are a tricky DIY proposition IMO.

I think this issue of audio quality is very much overplayed. For context, I am what some might call an 'audiophile', although I dislike the term myself, and have been for many years. At home I have a tube amp, high-end turntable/cartridge and very good speakers and I also have a dedicated, professionally designed and installed home theater with professional sound equipment installed for Dolby Atmos 13.1. Having said that, I notice very little difference between the Bose sound in my Panamera before I installed my aftermarket HU and after. Of course, the interior of a car is an absolutely dreadful acoustic environment for sound reproduction, as well as having huge physical limitations on the speakers themselves. I very much doubt if anyone installing an Android HU will have much to complain about regarding the SQ. I realise that you are in the business of selling Mr 12V though and so you will, rightly, promote the benefits of superior sound, even if it is in reality more of an illusion than a genuine practical consideration. That's just my $0.02 of course.

I tend to think that the entire purpose of people using a forum such as this is that they are quite interested in listening to 'internet people'! Even to those people with a vested interest in one product or another

Like I said, it is good to have choices and I am sure that those who have opted for the add-on board solution are generally happy with that choice. As are those who have chosen the Android units.
If the thousands of boards sold there is a very extreme select few who fubared their pcm. These same people can do damage to their car no matter what they are installing... The point is moot.

My angle is to sell mr12volt units, yes, but I am also a user. I can afford to and am capable of installing any of the options. I push the mr12volt option because time and time again this is the solution people like most in person. As a shop that has removed many other "fubared" and systems I'm speaking firsthand.

​​​​​Luckily in this world we have options.
​​​
Foosh (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 09:54 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

It's good that potential upgraders have a choice of options and there is plenty of lively debate on forums like this to help them make their decision.

As the discussions here have focused on android head units, its no surprise that many of us are fans and I am sure there is the same positive bias on the forums that are dedicated to PCM upgrade options. I also had a PCM with an upgrade board and decided that I wanted a larger screen and the opportunity to set it up in 'native mode', which is why I went down the Android route.

IMO the Android head units are getting better and better (the latest from CHSTEK as a prime example) and whilst they will never be a full OEM replacement, there is an awful lot to recommend them if that's the solution you want. And if not... then there are plenty of other options to choose from!

Last edited by andy2111; 05-17-2024 at 10:33 AM.
Chuck245 (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 11:09 AM
Foosh
Pro

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Citing "butchered" PCMs is hyperbole and a false claim as a reason that it is more advantageous to discard the PCM entirely and install a new HU. There are people out there who have butchered the HU swap-out as well, and have also had problems with a number of the HU alternatives.

I spent a long time reading every post I could find on this subject, and given the reported proportions of problems with both approaches, it was definitive to me that a professionally-installed Mr12Volt is the safest and best alternative for my preferences.
Old 05-17-2024, 11:30 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

Both options will give you a good solution as long as you do your research and weigh up the pros and cons before making a decision on what's best for you.

The Android head units have had a number of issues in the past, as have the other solutions, which is why a few of us have experimented and risked bricking our units in order to learn and improve reliability, liaising with developers for software fixes and buying multiple units to test out improvements and to share what we learn in the guide we published. In much the same way that other members help out by advancing the support and knowledge for other devices.

Let's not turn this into a 21st Century VHS versus Betamax argument - we're all on the same side as Porsche fanatics!

Last edited by andy2111; 05-17-2024 at 11:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by andy2111:
Chuck245 (05-17-2024), ZedZed (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 11:36 AM
Joec500
Drifting

Received 1,010 Likes on 601 Posts

I am unclear what your parameters are for safe. But a quality Android HU is probably “safer” from an install perspective.

i have gone through the first generation NMautomotive unit, Mr12Volt and now CHSTEk.

If you are ok losing that oem head unit I can openly say the CHSTEK is best for most people.

“Best” when factoring in:

ease of returning to stock
install
performance in regards to screen size and response
price -installing the MR 12 volt takes much more time, especially for the first timer.

cons:
HU companies have crap support, luckily we the forums.

Lose some OEM functionality like the trip computer and SC views on the screen

NOTE I am also running a full aftermarket system with my Bose amplifier removed so I skip the need for the MOST/Fiber Optic connection

ZedZed (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 12:07 PM
Joec500
Drifting

Received 1,010 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
THANK YOU!!

This should just make these options under a more public menu view!!!
alright I got the Parking sensors working!!! Thank you. Now I just need the rear camera to work with a manual transmission car. I wish the wiring was more clearly labeled
Old 05-17-2024, 12:22 PM
Foosh
Pro

The PCM requires no phone signal for the nav because the maps (usually years out of date) are on a DVD drive. With the Android units, you can install navigation apps where the maps are loaded onto the in-unit storage, so no phone or internet connection is required for mapping. A major benefit is that maps can always be kept up to date very easily. Those who choose nav apps like Waze DO need a phone connection as maps are loaded in real-time.
Yes I know the PCM nav apps are dated, but I can't remember the last time I did not have a cell signal where I drive. I said factory nav is still there in a pinch, in the extremely remote chance I do not have a cell signal. The PCM maps may be several years out of date, but the main roads aren't out of date and they pre-date the GPS system.

Apps like Google Maps do allow you to download maps for offline use when there is no cell connection (GPS still works on a phone with no cell signal), and the maps are always up to date because 99+% of the time you do have a cell signal and the maps update in the background with no human intervention necessary. Since Waze has been owned by Google for close to a decade now, those maps are updated frequently as well.

Again, I see no upside to the aftermarket head-unit approach except for a slightly larger, and higher resolution screen. However, I'm not watching movies, I'm enjoying driving a remarkable sports car and glancing only occasionally at a map or a music app play screen. Moreover, I do see more downsides to turning the PCM into a paperweight.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-17-2024 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-17-2024, 12:42 PM
boxdriver
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
alright I got the Parking sensors working!!! Thank you. Now I just need the rear camera to work with a manual transmission car. I wish the wiring was more clearly labeled
Is there an issue with the backup cameras working with a manual transmission on the android units or is this just an individual case. I like my camera and don't want to give that up.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:00 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Yes I know the PCM nav apps are dated, but I can't remember the last time I did not have a cell signal where I drive. I said factory nav is still there in a pinch, in the extremely remote chance I do not have a cell signal. The PCM maps may be several years out of date, but the main roads aren't out of date and they pre-date the GPS system.

Apps like Google Maps do allow you to download maps for offline use when there is no cell connection (GPS still works on a phone with no cell signal), and the maps are always up to date because 99+% of the time you do have a cell signal and the maps update in the background with no human intervention necessary. Since Waze has been owned by Google for close to a decade now, those maps are updated frequently as well.

Again, I see no upside to the aftermarket head-unit approach except for a slightly larger, and higher resolution screen. However, I'm not watching movies, I'm enjoying driving a remarkable sports car and glancing only occasionally at a map or a music app play screen. Moreover, I do see more downsides to turning the PCM into a paperweight.
@Foosh congrats, looks like you have the perfect solution for your likings. The same way, many in this thread have different needs and opinions about how to fill them and what you dislike is what they like. To repeat it ad nauseam, the good thing is that there are options for all the tastes and there is no need to try to convince people that "mine is better". The beauty of this forum is that people openly share information and experiences for others to decide what is best for them and not to promote a specific product or vendor. Happy to hear you made the right choice for your preferences.
Foosh (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 01:03 PM
Foosh
Pro

@Chuck245

I couldn't agree more. My posts are just a counterpoint to those attempting to make a case for why their choice of a replacement HU is the superior solution.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-17-2024 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:13 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

@Chuck245

I couldn't agree more. My posts are just a counterpoint to those attempting to make a case for why their choice is the superior solution.
@Foosh Especially that your solution IS superior. Isn't it?
Old 05-17-2024, 01:20 PM
Foosh
Pro

Originally Posted by Chuck245
@Foosh Especially that your solution IS superior. Isn't it?
For me, yes. Just like all of the many above claiming their choice of an aftermarket HU is superior, but you decided to call me out.

It also occurs to me that this decision is probably affected by the model of Porsche that you own. They're all great vehicles.

However, I'm MOST familiar with the pre-owned 911 market, where OEM is very highly valued and commands higher prices. An aftermarket HU would be a turn-off to many potential pre-owned 911 buyers, but a fully functional PCM modified with a perfectly functioning CarPlay solution would be desirable.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-17-2024 at 01:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-17-2024, 01:30 PM
Pierregirard
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

As I recall, earlier 991.1 models don't have native CarPlay, but you can fix that with retrofit kits from third-party sellers. These kits are made to work perfectly with the existing PCM system, giving you a factory-like CarPlay experience. Brands like JoyeAuto, Naviplus, and Car Solutions offer these kits, which keep your car's original look while adding modern features.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1