Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 01:34 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
For me, yes. Just like all of the many above claiming their choice of an aftermarket HU is superior, but you decided to call me out.

It also occurs to me that this decision is probably affected by the model of Porsche that you own. They're all great vehicles.

However, I'm MOST familiar with the pre-owned 911 market, where OEM is very highly valued and commands higher prices. An aftermarket HU would be a turn-off to many potential pre-owned 911 buyers, but a fully functional PCM modified with a perfectly functioning CarPlay solution would be desirable.
One of the good things about the aftermarket HUs is that you can go totally back to OEM in about 15 minutes. If/when we sell our Porsches we might do just that. Or maybe give the next owner the choice of what he or she wants.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Foosh
Pro

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Yes, that's precisely what this discussion is all about. Add Mr12Volt to your list of PCM mods, but it has the advantage over your list because it provides full digital sound quality using the OEM optical outputs. The ones you list have to convert digital to analog.
The following users liked this post:
shammerman (05-20-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 01:36 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

I spent a long time reading every post I could find on this subject, and given the reported proportions of problems with both approaches, it was definitive to me that a professionally-installed Mr12Volt is the safest and best alternative for my preferences.
That's great, it really is. I feel exactly the same about the choice I made. Everyone's happy.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:36 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

For me, yes. Just like all of the many above claiming their choice of an aftermarket HU is superior, but you decided to call me out.

It also occurs to me that this decision is probably affected by the model of Porsche that you own. They're all great vehicles.

However, I'm MOST familiar with the pre-owned 911 market, where OEM is very highly valued and commands higher prices. An aftermarket HU would be a turn-off to many potential pre-owed 911 buyers, but a fully functional PCM modified with a perfectly functioning CarPlay solution would be desirable.
I'm failing to see how a "fully functional PCM modified" with an additional board, wiring and an external box qualifies as OEM. As soon you starts to modify your car with non-Porsche components, it's not OEM anymore. And if you want to restore your car to OEM before to sell it, both the "modified PCM" and the Android HU can be reversed.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:38 PM
Foosh
Pro

Originally Posted by Pierregirard
As I recall, earlier 991.1 models don't have native CarPlay, but you can fix that with retrofit kits from third-party sellers. These kits are made to work perfectly with the existing PCM system, giving you a factory-like CarPlay experience. Brands like JoyeAuto, Naviplus, and Car Solutions offer these kits, which keep your car's original look while adding modern features.
Yes, that's precisely what this discussion is all about. Add Mr12Volt to your list of PCM mods, but it has the advantage over your list because it provides full digital sound quality using the OEM optical outputs. The ones you list have to convert digital to analog.

Originally Posted by ZedZed
One of the good things about the aftermarket HUs is that you can go totally back to OEM in about 15 minutes. If/when we sell our Porsches we might do just that. Or maybe give the next owner the choice of what he or she wants.
The same applies to the PCM modification solutions, but folks are less likely to want to make the change since it already provides AndroidAuto and CarPlay with a fully functional OEM PCM system. If they value OEM, why would they change something that isn't broken?
Old 05-17-2024, 01:39 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

If you can hear the difference, you're not driving hard enough
Old 05-17-2024, 01:41 PM
Foosh
Pro

Having lived on these threads forever, I know there is a hardcore "group of 3" that will argue this forever. However, I'm done . . . carry on.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:43 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

The same applies to the PCM modification solutions, but folks are less likely to want to make the change since it already provides AndroidAuto and CarPlay with a fully functional OEM PCM system. If they value OEM, why would they change something that isn't broken?
I'm not really sure why you are hammering this so hard. You are clearly very happy with the choice you made. Just as those who made a different choice are happy with the choices we made. Why do you care so much what other people have installed into their cars? Enjoy what you have like we are enjoying what we have.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:43 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

---

Last edited by ZedZed; 05-17-2024 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:45 PM
CardinalFlyer
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm preparing to install my CHSTEK unit this weekend. My car has front & rear aftermarket cameras. I see on the CHSTEK harness a yellow RCA jack labeled for a rear camera, There are other camera inputs, but none labeled for a front camera. Can anyone give guidance?

Also regarding the cameras, they require a 12v power source in addition to the video feeds. Which two wires am I looking for to feed power to the cameras?
Old 05-17-2024, 01:46 PM
Foosh
Pro

Originally Posted by ZedZed
I'm not really sure why you are hammering this so hard. You are clearly very happy with the choice you made. Just as those who made a different choice are happy with the choices we made. Why do you care so much what other people have installed into their cars? Enjoy what you have like we are enjoying what we have.
Because I like to provide the other side of the story to new folks trying to make a decision. You and your colleagues are all very good with very big hammers with post counts on this subject that make mine look like round-off error.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-17-2024 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:50 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

---

Last edited by ZedZed; 05-17-2024 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:52 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

For those contemplating installing the 'add-on board' type of solution, there is a great thread here on Rennlist which is devoted to just that:

https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...pcm-3-1-a.html
Old 05-17-2024, 01:55 PM
Joec500
Drifting

Received 1,010 Likes on 601 Posts

Yes I know the PCM nav apps are dated, but I can't remember the last time I did not have a cell signal where I drive. I said factory nav is still there in a pinch, in the extremely remote chance I do not have a cell signal. The PCM maps may be several years out of date, but the main roads aren't out of date and they pre-date the GPS system.

Apps like Google Maps do allow you to download maps for offline use when there is no cell connection (GPS still works on a phone with no cell signal), and the maps are always up to date because 99+% of the time you do have a cell signal and the maps update in the background with no human intervention necessary. Since Waze has been owned by Google for close to a decade now, those maps are updated frequently as well.

Again, I see no upside to the aftermarket head-unit approach except for a slightly larger, and higher resolution screen. However, I'm not watching movies, I'm enjoying driving a remarkable sports car and glancing only occasionally at a map or a music app play screen. Moreover, I do see more downsides to turning the PCM into a paperweight.
totally understand throwing out the PCM, but I just keep mine in storage for if I decide to go back to stock.

but at least the swap is super easy compared to more intricate install process of the retrofit units.

I totally understand porsche people and trying to keep the purity, I 1000000% empathize.

but when a new head unit is cheaper to acquire, cheaper and quicker to install (assuming you are paying for labor) and you get better performance in almost all quantifiable measures. It’s just too hard to ignore imo.

Having spent extensive time with both this is what I would recommend to mos people especially novice DIY’ers.

You clearly aren’t most and that’s exactly why we have options!

Old 05-17-2024, 02:00 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

The most disappointing thing for me is what was once an almost 100% argument free thread, growing post by post from the questions and answers of its enthusiastic subscribers, has started to decend down the old and tired path of so many other forums.

Enough everyone please! This thread is only really focussing on those who are interested in Android units - for better or for worse.

Let's all contribute to the forums where we can make a positive contribution, wherever and whatever that may be.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1