Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 03:29 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by CardinalFlyer
I believe those are actually the wifi antennae.
I don't think so. The wifi antenaa is a separate antenna (that black oblong thing - #7 in the illustration).
Old 05-17-2024, 03:42 PM
CardinalFlyer
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
I don't think so. The wifi antenaa is a separate antenna (that black oblong thing - #7 in the illustration).
That's the 4G antenna. Believe me, I've studied that diagram and others on the CHSTEK store site. There's one on the store site that identifies the two short wires on the backup camera connection to the HU as the wifi antenna.
Old 05-17-2024, 03:47 PM
CardinalFlyer
Rennlist Member

Any power source will do for the front camera as it is manually switched. Just hook into any switched 12V+ (red) wire. To activate the front camera you use the AUX icon.
Makes sense. I've submitted a question to the CHSTEK folks just to clarify.
Old 05-17-2024, 07:31 PM
Joec500
Drifting

Received 1,010 Likes on 601 Posts

Makes sense. I've submitted a question to the CHSTEK folks just to clarify.
I asked the same question and they told me to "find a workshop" LOL
Old 05-17-2024, 08:17 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

That's the 4G antenna. Believe me, I've studied that diagram and others on the CHSTEK store site. There's one on the store site that identifies the two short wires on the backup camera connection to the HU as the wifi antenna.
Of course, my bad, I was conflating the 4G antenna and the wifi antenna! D'oh!
Old 05-17-2024, 08:41 PM
CardinalFlyer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joec500
I asked the same question and they told me to "find a workshop" LOL
That is definitely in line with the non-provided specs and manual. While the erisin unit doesn't have the flash of the CESTEK unit, seems they offer better support so far.

I did find a power cord amongst the plethora of supplied cables that matches the power input of the also supplied backup camera. The power cord has a plug that matches the power input for the camera, but the other end of that cord has no connector. Just unfinished wire ends. So, I'm guessing that ZedZed is correct. Just find a power source and connect.
Old 05-17-2024, 09:27 PM
Joec500
Drifting

Received 1,010 Likes on 601 Posts

That is definitely in line with the non-provided specs and manual. While the erisin unit doesn't have the flash of the CESTEK unit, seems they offer better support so far.

I did find a power cord amongst the plethora of supplied cables that matches the power input of the also supplied backup camera. The power cord has a plug that matches the power input for the camera, but the other end of that cord has no connector. Just unfinished wire ends. So, I'm guessing that ZedZed is correct. Just find a power source and connect.
That power cord for the camera is just a generic wire that all the China Backup cams come with. I have that run in my car from my previous NMAutomotive install.

I actually have a live switched 12 volt behind my dash I can use. I am just annoyed that there isn't one on the wiring harness.

Old 05-18-2024, 03:03 AM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

This CHSTEK, does it offer wired carplay. If so, sold.
Old 05-18-2024, 06:32 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

My Chstek is currently lost in transit so I can't look at it to comment directly, but the Erisin connections have ACC for when the ignition is on and BATT+ which I assume is a semi permanent live feed once the key is inserted.. is there nothing similar on the Chstek? Is there an unused pinout connector that might hint at a missing set of additional power feeds?

Old 05-18-2024, 09:22 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

The designations of the relevant wires are
  • RED = 12V+ Switched (ie this wire goes hot only when ignition is turned on)
  • YELLOW - 12V+ BATT (this wire is permanently live regardless of ignition on or off. This is needed, for example, where you want a radio to power off when you shut off the ignition, but to keep the radio fully powered at all times so you don't lose all the presets etc)
  • BLACK = GROUND/EARTH
Within reason, installers can tap into any handy similarly coloured wires they can get at. I say 'within reason' because we also need to take account of the current draw of whatever is being hooked up. It wouldn't be a good idea to connect a big-*** power amplifier, for example, to wires that were there originally to provide power for an LED as there's every chance of overloading the circuit and something will blow. But, practically, for the purposes of this thread and for connecting something like a camera, any red, yellow and black can be used. To give a crude idea of what's what - big-*** stuff will usually come with thicker wires, so don't connect thick additional wires to thin existing wires, but it's OK the other way around. (Auto-electricians will have a fit if they read this, but as a rule of thumb it's stood me in good stead for decades of working on car electrics). Caveat: if in doubt, get a pro to look at it for you.

@andy2111 Sorry your unit is still lost in transit, Andy. Very frustrating. I was looking forward to you installing it this weekend almost as much as you were

Old 05-18-2024, 09:35 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Highwheelssing
Just wondering what functionality you want that Carplay provides
Is this a general question or were you asking someone specifically? If it is a general question, here's the skinny. (I asked AI to give me the answer because I am feeling lazy this weekend - this is what the bot said). I don't use CarPlay, so I asked about Android Auto so I could check if the bot was on acid today or not. But AA and CP are pretty much identical in their aims and purposes.

[BOT]
Android Auto is a useful feature that allows you to safely access your Android smartphone's functionality while driving by mirroring compatible apps and services onto your car's dashboard display. Here are some key benefits of using Android Auto:
  1. Hands-Free Operation: Android Auto enables voice commands through Google Assistant, allowing you to control music playback, make calls, send messages, get directions, and access other apps without taking your hands off the steering wheel
  • . This promotes safer driving by reducing distractions.
  • Simplified Interface: The Android Auto interface is designed to minimize distractions by displaying only essential information and large icons/buttons optimized for in-vehicle use
  • . This makes it easier to interact with your phone while keeping your eyes on the road.
  • App Integration: Android Auto supports a growing number of compatible apps like Google Maps, Waze, Spotify, WhatsApp, etc.
  • This allows you to access your favorite navigation, music, messaging and other apps through your car's display.
  • Automatic Connection: Once set up, Android Auto automatically connects to your car's display when you start your vehicle, as long as your phone is paired via USB or Bluetooth
  • . This provides a seamless experience without manual reconnection.
  • Customization: You can customize Android Auto to launch your preferred navigation app at startup, enable/disable notification readouts, and more to suit your preferences
In summary, Android Auto provides a safer, optimized and integrated way to access your Android smartphone's capabilities while driving, reducing distractions and promoting hands-free operation. The convenience and safety benefits make it a valuable feature for modern drivers.

[/BOT]

AA and CP bring older cars more up to date. The interface is modern and easy to use, with customisable screens and big icons which are easy to poke while driving. You get almost all the functionality of your smartphone right there on your dash, on a much bigger screen. You can switch far more easily (and therefore safely) between apps such as navigation, radio, Spotify, phone etc than you can on most OEM infotainment systems.

Does AA/CP bring anything to the party that you couldn't find in a different way? No. But it brings everything together in one place and makes it all much easier to use while driving.

Old 05-18-2024, 09:38 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RwdConnor
This
You are Doug de Muro and I claim my 5 bucks
The following users liked this post:
RwdConnor (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 09:54 AM
ratt359
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

The designations of the relevant wires are
  • RED = 12V+ Switched (ie this wire goes hot only when ignition is turned on)
  • YELLOW - 12V+ BATT (this wire is permanently live regardless of ignition on or off. This is needed, for example, where you want a radio to power off when you shut off the ignition, but to keep the radio fully powered at all times so you don't lose all the presets etc)
  • BLACK = GROUND/EARTH
Within reason, installers can tap into any handy similarly coloured wires they can get at. I say 'within reason' because we also need to take account of the current draw of whatever is being hooked up. It wouldn't be a good idea to connect a big-*** power amplifier, for example, to wires that were there originally to provide power for an LED as there's every chance of overloading the circuit and something will blow. But, practically, for the purposes of this thread and for connecting something like a camera, any red, yellow and black can be used. To give a crude idea of what's what - big-*** stuff will usually come with thicker wires, so don't connect thick additional wires to thin existing wires, but it's OK the other way around. (Auto-electricians will have a fit if they read this, but as a rule of thumb it's stood me in good stead for decades of working on car electrics). Caveat: if in doubt, get a pro to look at it for you.

@andy2111 Sorry your unit is still lost in transit, Andy. Very frustrating. I was looking forward to you installing it this weekend almost as much as you were
Just to confirm - there's a switched 12v on the CHSTEK 7862 marked "ACC" (switched = powered when key is turned to pre-ignition). If the MOST adapter was supplied with the unit, it is also spliced into the ACC for power.

I hope it is found and arrives quickly @andy2111 . What a pain!
Old 05-18-2024, 10:20 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ratt359
I hope it is found and arrives quickly @andy2111 . What a pain!
Thanks guys, unfortunately Aliexpress chose Evri as the local delivery company and they are simply shocking and not the first time they lost deliveries for us.
Old 05-18-2024, 11:31 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andy2111
Thanks guys, unfortunately Aliexpress chose Evri as the local delivery company and they are simply shocking and not the first time they lost deliveries for us.
OMG. Evri are dreadful. I have a blacklist of companies I won't buy from if they use Evri or Yodel and I know before purchasing. God knows why sellers continue to use them - they might be a couple of quid cheaper but you'd think the sheer hassle factor would direct them elsewhere. How the 'last mile' carrier is selected is a mystery. I've had deliveries from Ali where the last mile courier has been UPS, DPD, Royal Mail and, yes Evri and Yodel. I'm sure it will turn up eventually but you will have to pump several rounds of Fs into them to get them to do anything, IME.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1