Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 10:19 AM
Live Steam
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by osunick
The included ribbon cables are very fragile. I would use them to connect the PCM motherboard to the isudar card and the original cables from the card to the front panel. It's a very slick integration and uses the original microphone if you have Bose or Burmester. If not, there's an included mic to slot into the steering column microphone slot.
I'm curious about the microphone issue as well. My car has a Burmeister system. I am also planning a multifunction steering wheel upgrade as it presently has the Sport steering wheel without controls and no VC button on the column stalk. How does one interface with Siri and make calls without the column stalk? Does the Isudar fix provide a CP button on the screen?
Old 12-12-2021, 11:39 PM
osunick
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Live Steam
I'm curious about the microphone issue as well. My car has a Burmeister system. I am also planning a multifunction steering wheel upgrade as it presently has the Sport steering wheel without controls and no VC button on the column stalk. How does one interface with Siri and make calls without the column stalk? Does the Isudar fix provide a CP button on the screen?
Bose and Burmester have two microphones in the steering column. One for phone and the other for active EQ based on cabin noise. The isudar can access the second microphone. If you have the base audio there is an empty slot in the upper steering column trim and isudar includes an OEM shaped microphone that snaps into that slot. To talk to Siri or Google, you hold down the right (hang up) phone button to trigger assistant. It’s seamless. To switch modes you hold down the ‘INFO’ button to switch from PCM to isudar. It automatically switches back to PCM when you’re reversing for camera and park sensors.
The following users liked this post:
Live Steam (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 12:22 AM
Live Steam
Racer

Bose and Burmester have two microphones in the steering column. One for phone and the other for active EQ based on cabin noise. The isudar can access the second microphone. If you have the base audio there is an empty slot in the upper steering column trim and isudar includes an OEM shaped microphone that snaps into that slot. To talk to Siri or Google, you hold down the right (hang up) phone button to trigger assistant. It’s seamless. To switch modes you hold down the ‘INFO’ button to switch from PCM to isudar. It automatically switches back to PCM when you’re reversing for camera and park sensors.
You appear to be well versed with the Isudar install. I have yet to install the board which I received a few days ago. So I'm sure I may have more questions, but I see on their site there's a new firmware release. How do you check the current firmware - I assume it can only be done after installation - and how do you perform a firmware update if necessary?
Old 12-13-2021, 12:27 AM
osunick
Racer

You appear to be well versed with the Isudar install. I have yet to install the board which I received a few days ago. So I'm sure I may have more questions, but I see on their site there's a new firmware release. How do you check the current firmware - I assume it can only be done after installation - and how do you perform a firmware update if necessary?
It's self explanatory when you have the unit installed- the menus are well organized. Firmware is simply loading onto a USB stick and connecting it. The latest version does away with the "double volume" issue that made no sense. Basically if you were in the non PCM mode and adjusted.the physical volume control it would adjust the volume of the unit rather than punch through to master PCM volume. If this makes no sense to you, just trust me, the new way is better and the old way is dumb for many reasons. You'll be able to tell because the old volume control will throw up a display when you adjust.
Old 12-13-2021, 12:32 AM
Live Steam
Racer

It's self explanatory when you have the unit installed- the menus are well organized. Firmware is simply loading onto a USB stick and connecting it. The latest version does away with the "double volume" issue that made no sense. Basically if you were in the non PCM mode and adjusted.the physical volume control it would adjust the volume of the unit rather than punch through to master PCM volume. If this makes no sense to you, just trust me, the new way is better and the old way is dumb for many reasons. You'll be able to tell because the old volume control will throw up a display when you adjust.
So plug the stick into the USB port in the glove box?
Old 12-13-2021, 12:34 AM
osunick
Racer

So plug the stick into the USB port in the glove box?
No. You clearly haven't looked closely at the kit or even read through the instructions so please at least do me the consideration of making the bare minimum effort before asking for more of my time.
Old 12-13-2021, 12:38 AM
Live Steam
Racer

No. You clearly haven't looked closely at the kit or even read through the instructions so please at least do me the consideration of making the bare minimum effort before asking for more of my time.
Your reply was longer than "There's a USB cable that needs to be installed." But thanks for your reply anyway.
Old 12-13-2021, 12:56 AM
osunick
Racer

Your reply was longer than "There's a USB cable that needs to be installed." But thanks for your reply anyway.
There's actually no way to install the unit without the harness that has the USB port on it. If I were you I'd get professional assistance, you really do seem way over your head here with your questions and there are delicate enough components inside the PCM that are easy to damage, like the connectors for the ribbon cables.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:49 PM
Live Steam
Racer

There's actually no way to install the unit without the harness that has the USB port on it. If I were you I'd get professional assistance, you really do seem way over your head here with your questions and there are delicate enough components inside the PCM that are easy to damage, like the connectors for the ribbon cables.
I guess your skills aren't all that special.

Old 12-13-2021, 10:41 PM
c615586
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice work, everyone!

If my JoyeAuto ever craps out, I'll definitely switch to the Isudar.
Old 12-14-2021, 07:22 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,185 Likes on 712 Posts

I guess your skills aren't all that special.

Nice work Live Steam. Did you connect the microphone?
Old 12-14-2021, 09:45 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,988 Likes on 945 Posts

I did the joyeauto carplay swap on wife's car and am looking to do the same on my 991.
What are the differences between joyeauto and Isuder?

From Isuder website the hardware looks very similar
Old 12-14-2021, 09:58 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Isudar is a lot simpler as there are less wires and less ribbon cables to connect. With Isudar, only a circuit board needs to be connected with ribbons. Joy you needed to connect another box and power source to fuse box. Not needed with Isudar.
The following users liked this post:
desmotesta (12-14-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 10:23 AM
Live Steam
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Nice work Live Steam. Did you connect the microphone?
Thanks. There was no need. The steering column has the two microphones installed. Everything works as it should. Next mod to be installed is a 991.2 multifunction steering wheel with contrasting Carmine Red stitching and TDC stripe to match the rest of the interior.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:50 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Thanks. There was no need. The steering column has the two microphones installed. Everything works as it should. Next mod to be installed is a 991.2 multifunction steering wheel with contrasting Carmine Red stitching and TDC stripe to match the rest of the interior.
Did your car come with voice control?

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1