Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 02:03 PM
boxdriver
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 65 Posts

I see in the guide that was written for the android units, it states that you should have at least 6 GB RAM and 128 GB ROM. Has anyone tried the 4 GB/ 64 GB 8581 unit from CHSTEK? How much slower would the 4 GB on a head unit running CP be? I am asking because the 8/256 GB 7862 and the fiber optic box is over $541 right now on AliExpress and the 4/64 GB 8581 with fiber optic box is $390 on Ebay. Both are from Chstek store. Is it worth the extra $150 to get the 7862?
Old 05-16-2024, 02:08 PM
q8linux
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
I don’t have 360 camera so I never requested it.

do you think there is a software activation I don’t have? I looked throughout the unit and couldn’t find settings for rear view camera anywhere.
i think its in factory setting
Old 05-16-2024, 02:12 PM
Joec500
Drifting

Received 1,010 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by q8linux
i think its in factory setting
I just got the factory code from RATT, I will try that code when I get home.
Old 05-16-2024, 02:45 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by boxdriver
I see in the guide that was written for the android units, it states that you should have at least 6 GB RAM and 128 GB ROM. Has anyone tried the 4 GB/ 64 GB 8581 unit from CHSTEK? How much slower would the 4 GB on a head unit running CP be? I am asking because the 8/256 GB 7862 and the fiber optic box is over $541 right now on AliExpress and the 4/64 GB 8581 with fiber optic box is $390 on Ebay. Both are from Chstek store. Is it worth the extra $150 to get the 7862?
My Erisin HU is 4GB RAM and it is fine, but my inbound Chstek is 8+256 because (apart from me who has now bought 3 android head units) you only want to spend your cash once, so that's why we recommend in the guide going for as much RAM as possible.. because you can't add it afterwards.

That said, if you only want to run AA or Carplay then 4GB will be fine.. as long as you don't want to take advantage of the native app options in future where more RAM allows faster switching between apps.

Everyone's usage is different.. Go for the bargain if you are confident you'll stick with CP, but do consider if this will limit your options in the future..

The 8581 is also an older unit, much bigger in dimensions and I believe with older CPUs, although I m on a train and can't check that for you to be sure.

The combination of 4gb RAM and a slower cpu is not recommended, but it does depend what vehicle you are fitting it to? If you are replacing pcm 3.1 then I really recommend sticking with the 7862

Last edited by andy2111; 05-16-2024 at 02:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (05-17-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 02:56 PM
ratt359
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
I just got the factory code from RATT, I will try that code when I get home.
All the settings you need are under "Factory" (my code was 3368, per the guide):

Factory > Original Car Agreement > Radar Display ON/OFF
Factory > Local Radar switch (choose whether to put radar display on full screen)
Factory > Radar Window (choose whether to display radar overlay - my preferred option)

You'll find all the reverse camera options in there also.
Old 05-16-2024, 03:02 PM
Joec500
Drifting

Received 1,010 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by ratt359
All the settings you need are under "Factory" (my code was 3368, per the guide):

Factory > Original Car Agreement > Radar Display ON/OFF
Factory > Local Radar switch (choose whether to put radar display on full screen)
Factory > Radar Window (choose whether to display radar overlay - my preferred option)

You'll find all the reverse camera options in there also.
THANK YOU!!

This should just make these options under a more public menu view!!!
Old 05-16-2024, 04:20 PM
boxdriver
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 65 Posts

When my head unit was acting up on me a couple of years ago, (luckily a HD swap fixed it), I remember seeing that you had to get a PCM and it had to be programmed to your car because so much was tied to it. Now it looks like everyone is disregarding that. What has changed? What do we really loose if we make the change to an aftermarket HU? Are these new Chinese units able to control the things that are in the PCM units where the standard Pioneer and Alpine units couldn't? I like these new units (Chstek), but I am afraid to pull the trigger because I'm afraid I will lose some functions that my PCM might be controlling. If it is just items like sending phone, radio, and navigation info to the instrument cluster, I could care less. My car is a manual, does that mean I will have to rewire the backup camara? Will the parking sensors still work? I've seen some comments on the TPMS. Does that go away if it is in my instrument cluster? What else is running through the PCM?
Old 05-16-2024, 05:45 PM
ratt359
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

When my head unit was acting up on me a couple of years ago, (luckily a HD swap fixed it), I remember seeing that you had to get a PCM and it had to be programmed to your car because so much was tied to it. Now it looks like everyone is disregarding that. What has changed? What do we really loose if we make the change to an aftermarket HU? Are these new Chinese units able to control the things that are in the PCM units where the standard Pioneer and Alpine units couldn't? I like these new units (Chstek), but I am afraid to pull the trigger because I'm afraid I will lose some functions that my PCM might be controlling. If it is just items like sending phone, radio, and navigation info to the instrument cluster, I could care less. My car is a manual, does that mean I will have to rewire the backup camara? Will the parking sensors still work? I've seen some comments on the TPMS. Does that go away if it is in my instrument cluster? What else is running through the PCM?
There will be a few of us queueing up to answer this one... I know it sounds too good to be true, but you've nailed it (i.e. you only lose the instrument cluster display for phone, radio and nav). For BOSE owners, there's also the minor issue of lack of full fader control for the rear speakers (as the RCA > MOST optical convertor is 2-channel). The list of benefits, however, is a long one... much larger screen, CarPlay/AA, native Android apps, free offline nav and maps (installed to the HU), customisation of look and feel and more...

And it takes less than an hour to install!

Please see resources on post #2700 if you haven't already. I looked at lots of options before buying the CHSTEK (inc Mr12Volt and other Android HUs). Couldn't be happier with the end result!

(I have no factory TPMS so can't comment on that specific)

Last edited by ratt359; 05-16-2024 at 05:53 PM. Reason: TPMS
The following 2 users liked this post by ratt359:
Chuck245 (05-17-2024), ZedZed (05-17-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 06:24 PM
Foosh
Pro

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

There will be a few of us queueing up to answer this one... I know it sounds too good to be true, but you've nailed it (i.e. you only lose the instrument cluster display for phone, radio and nav). For BOSE owners, there's also the minor issue of lack of full fader control for the rear speakers (as the RCA > MOST optical convertor is 2-channel). The list of benefits, however, is a long one... much larger screen, CarPlay/AA, native Android apps, free offline nav and maps (installed to the HU), customisation of look and feel and more...

Please see resources on post #2700 if you haven't already. I looked at lots of options before buying the CHSTEK (inc Mr12Volt and other Android HUs). Couldn't be happier with the end result!

Like beauty, preferences and perceived benefits are always in the eye of the beholder. With Mr12Volt, you don't lose anything, and you still have optical outputs providing OEM-quality sound, and all the other listed benefits, other than the slightly larger screen. You also retain an entirely OEM look, which is much better in my book.

"Native Android apps" have no appeal to me (as an Android hater), and I'd much rather use the CarPlay apps for nav and music. Other apps don't interest me in the least. For backup, (in those rare cases where you have no cell signal) the factory nav, and every other PCM function works.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-16-2024 at 06:27 PM.
shammerman (05-17-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 07:05 PM
WhiskeyTango
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Rye,
I am in San Diego as well. Would love to learn more about my options here with CarPlay for my 2013 911 991 Carrera S Cabrio. Cheers.
Old 05-17-2024, 03:51 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

Hi Whiskey Tango - you have 2 basic options 1) upgrade the internals of your PCM 3.1 with a solution like Mr 12 Volt, or swap out the entire unit for an Android based head unit such as the CHSTEK 7862 that you can find on Ali Express. Both will work in your car which is the same model year as mine.

This thread is dedicated to the Andrioid units, but there is plenty of info out there on the PCM upgrade options.

Please see our guide on this post for all you need to know about Android head unit upgrades
Old 05-17-2024, 07:08 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

@boxdriver

Factory TPMS still works in the MultiFunctional Display. As you rightly say, the only things that no longer work in the MFD are the satnav display (for obvious reasons), the telephone and radio station display. Everything else is there. PLus, everything that is controlled by he canbus still works as normal - eg the radar proximity sensors (displayed on screen as well as audibly), door open alerts and so on.
Chuck245 (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 07:14 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Andy has given a thorough answer. I'd just add that Android, in its later incarnations, is quite RAM-hungry, so the more the better. But . . . if you are going to use Carplay or Android Auto mainly, then the heavy lifting is done on your phone, so the unit's RAM is less stressed. In that case, you could get away with 4 gig. As far as storage goes, again if you mainly use CP/AA, it isn't an issue and everything is loaded to the phone. But if you want to use the HU in 'native' mode and add lots of apps directly to the unit - eg navigation apps, music apps, Netflix and Prime, email, Chrome or Firefox and so on, then you will start to fill up that 64 gigs. So, short answer: those using CP and AA can use 4GB and 64GB without much of an issue. Those who want to use the HU as their main interface would do better to have at least 6+128 or more, IMO. Over to you . . .
Old 05-17-2024, 07:21 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Foosh
"Native Android apps" have no appeal to me (as an Android hater), and I'd much rather use the CarPlay apps for nav and music. Other apps don't interest me in the least. For backup, (in those rare cases where you have no cell signal) the factory nav, and every other PCM function works.
The PCM requires no phone signal for the nav because the maps (usually years out of date) are on a DVD drive. With the Android units, you can install navigation apps where the maps are loaded onto the in-unit storage, so no phone or internet connection is required for mapping. A major benefit is that maps can always be kept up to date very easily. Those who choose nav apps like Waze DO need a phone connection as maps are loaded in real-time.
Chuck245 (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 07:46 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Foosh
Like beauty, preferences and perceived benefits are always in the eye of the beholder. With Mr12Volt, you don't lose anything, and you still have optical outputs providing OEM-quality sound, and all the other listed benefits, other than the slightly larger screen. You also retain an entirely OEM look, which is much better in my book.
You do kinda lose some things. The obvious one is you lose the opportunity to have a touch-screen that looks and operates like it's from this century rather than the last. Plus, of course, you have to butcher the PCM to install the add-on board so you immediately lose the OEM-ness of the PCM. Granted, you can always remove the board to revert back to OEM - but with the Android units, your PCM remains totally intact and untouched, so you can revert to the original PCM, which an opened and altered PCM can never be. But the good thing is that there is a choice - some will choose sticking with the outdated PCM while retaining the original look of the car, others will choose to update and upgrade. Everyone's happy!
Chuck245 (05-17-2024)

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1