Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 05:59 PM
Joec500
Drifting

Received 1,010 Likes on 601 Posts

This is great, I would love a section to advise on the best setup for adding and wiring the backup camera and settings.
The following users liked this post:
ratt359 (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 09:17 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,185 Likes on 712 Posts

Ratt. Zed. Andy.

You guys are awesome. You guys have spent considerable time and effort which is helpful and beneficial to all of those interested. Thanks for taking the time in sharing your knowledge and experience.
ZedZed (05-16-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 10:55 PM
potxoli
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for the guide, amazing work and timely as I got my CHSTEK today! And did the unboxing. I do have a couple questions not covered by the guide...

1. My harness has an external CANBUS decoder, do all of them have this? I've attached a pic. I just shove this in the dash and forget about it?
2. All these loose connectors like the RCA ones, the one labeled "brake" or "Key1", those can just be ignored right? Essentially all that needs to happen with this harness is that the white connector plugs into the back of the CHSTEK unit and the large black quad male connecter in the pic plugs into the quad cable that was attached to the PCM 3.1 and that's it? (I'm not installing rearview camera, I don't have BOSE)

So the things to connect in the simplest install are:

Quad harness
Antenna cable
GPS lead with Fakra adapter
USB to glovebox?
Anything else?

Thanks!

(Also attaching a pic of the rear of the unit for reference since the picture in the guide is slightly different than what I received

Old 05-16-2024, 03:09 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

Glad to see the guide is proving useful already! We'll try to make it a sticky so it's easy to find.

You just need to tuck the can box out of the way and forget about it and you don't need the RCAs if you are just connecting to the standard amplifier as that's done through the quadlock connections.

My Chstek unit is due to be delivered this week and will replace the erisin. I'll update the guide as I install it with any more tips and info that may be useful

ZedZed (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 03:11 AM
Joec500
Drifting

Originally Posted by andy2111
Glad to see the guide is proving useful already! We'll try to make it a sticky so it's easy to find.

You just need to tuck the can box out of the way and forget about it and you don't need the RCAs if you are just connecting to the standard amplifier as that's done through the quadlock connections.

My Chstek unit is due to be delivered this week and will replace the erisin. I'll update the guide as I install it with any more tips and info that may be useful
are you going to install the backup camera and is your car equipped with parking sensors?
Old 05-16-2024, 03:17 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

I already have both and have them working well with the erisin, it's just plug and play if they are already fitted. The camera just needs connecting to the positive feed that is labelled in the harness (one of the thin wires with the ends covered)

I think there are lots of references for adding backup cameras in other forums, some with a lot of pictures. If you find a particularly good source of info we can link to it in the guide.
Old 05-16-2024, 07:32 AM
ratt359
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
are you going to install the backup camera and is your car equipped with parking sensors?
Hi @Joec500 . Can you tell me what issue you’re having with the parking sensors? I have OEM front and rear sensors working fine with visual display. Are you seeing the open door animation on the HU?
Old 05-16-2024, 08:16 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by ratt359
Hi @Joec500 . Can you tell me what issue you’re having with the parking sensors? I have OEM front and rear sensors working fine with visual display. Are you seeing the open door animation on the HU?
I can't remember now, but do they have to be enabled/disabled in Settings? I am pretty sure they can be disabled but I can't remember if they come that way. @Joec500 - have a look in Settings.
Old 05-16-2024, 08:22 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by potxoli
Thank you for the guide, amazing work and timely as I got my CHSTEK today! And did the unboxing. I do have a couple questions not covered by the guide...

1. My harness has an external CANBUS decoder, do all of them have this? I've attached a pic. I just shove this in the dash and forget about it?
2. All these loose connectors like the RCA ones, the one labeled "brake" or "Key1", those can just be ignored right? Essentially all that needs to happen with this harness is that the white connector plugs into the back of the CHSTEK unit and the large black quad male connecter in the pic plugs into the quad cable that was attached to the PCM 3.1 and that's it? (I'm not installing rearview camera, I don't have BOSE)

So the things to connect in the simplest install are:

Quad harness
Antenna cable
GPS lead with Fakra adapter
USB to glovebox?
Anything else?

Thanks!

You got it! It really is that easy. Having done a few of these installs now, I can do the whole thing in about 15 minutes, start to finish! It's the configuring of the unit that can take the time, but you can do that in stages as you gain more experience with the unit. But yeah - the basic installation is how you describe it.

Will you be running Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, or will you be using the unit in 'native mode'?
Old 05-16-2024, 09:57 AM
potxoli
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
You got it! It really is that easy. Having done a few of these installs now, I can do the whole thing in about 15 minutes, start to finish! It's the configuring of the unit that can take the time, but you can do that in stages as you gain more experience with the unit. But yeah - the basic installation is how you describe it.

Will you be running Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, or will you be using the unit in 'native mode'?
Awesome, can't wait to tackle this on the weekend. I do want to play with the HU and native mode, but the reality is that 99% of usage will be apple carplay...
Old 05-16-2024, 10:03 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by potxoli
Awesome, can't wait to tackle this on the weekend. I do want to play with the HU and native mode, but the reality is that 99% of usage will be apple carplay...
I use Android Auto more or less exclusively on the unit in my Panamera. The 12.3 inch wide screen is ideally suited to this mode of use IMO. But in the Cayman, my wife prefers to use native mode, mainly because she prefers the 'full' version of the apps she uses. It's good to have the choice. Let us know how you get on.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:12 AM
Joec500
Drifting

I do see the open door icon. On the CHSTEK none of the wires are Labeled for power to camera or even any wires specific to reverse lights to trigger the reverse camera. Also within the settings I couldn’t find anything related to backup camera like there is on the mr12volt. I had the camera working on both my previous NMauto and Mr12volt.

perhaps wiring the power to the white leads on the backup camera mini harness will auto trigger somethings.

note. I get audio for the parking sensors but no visual.

Old 05-16-2024, 10:14 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

I do see the open door icon. On the CHSTEK none of the wires are Labeled for power to camera or even any wires specific to reverse lights to trigger the reverse camera. Also within the settings I couldn’t find anything related to backup camera like there is on the mr12volt. I had the camera working on both my previous NMauto and Mr12volt.

perhaps wiring the power to the white leads on the backup camera mini harness will auto trigger somethings.

note. I get audio for the parking sensors but no visual.
Did you check in Settings that it hasn't been disabed?
Old 05-16-2024, 12:47 PM
ratt359
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

I do see the open door icon….
I get audio for the parking sensors but no visual.
This suggests the connection from the HU to the Canbox is all ok. Agree with Zed re settings.

Do you know whether the 360 Panoramic camera software is currently active? Did you request it on ordering?
Old 05-16-2024, 01:23 PM
Joec500
Drifting

This suggests the connection from the HU to the Canbox is all ok. Agree with Zed re settings.

Do you know whether the 360 Panoramic camera software is currently active? Did you request it on ordering?
I don’t have 360 camera so I never requested it.

do you think there is a software activation I don’t have? I looked throughout the unit and couldn’t find settings for rear view camera anywhere.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1