7th Gear

Yes, that's right.
The following users liked this post:
andy2111 (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024 | 05:27 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andy2111
That is awesome, thank you for making it so clear and easy to follow!

Am I right that the boot animation replaces the green android image so the startup sequence will be to display the splash screen first and then the new boot animation?
Yes, the green android logo is a 'still animation' IYSWIM. It runs for xx seconds which is the time it takes the unit to boot. It has to be an animation, even if it's not moving, so that it can take the required amount of time to run. Make sure your own animation is roughly the same length, or it will finish too soon and leave you with a blank screen until the unit has booted, or, if it is too long, it will get cut off before the end once the unit has booted.

Last edited by ZedZed; 02-23-2024 at 05:28 AM.
Old 02-23-2024 | 05:30 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MP4S&G
If you connect the head unit to your home wi-fi you can connect to it from a PC on the same network. You'll need to install the Android STK (Sim Toolkit) on your PC.
You can get it here;
https://developer.android.com/tools/...platform-tools.

Just download and unzip it to a drive on your PC.

Then run a cmd prompt and change directory to the unzip folder e.g. cd D:\platform-tools

Copy the bootanimation.zip file you want to use to this folder.

Then on the head unit, go into the factory settings menu and enter 5555 to turn on wireless connectivity, it will display the IP address the unit has been allocated.

Then back on the PC in the cmd prompt, connect to it as per the instructions, in summary:

D:\platform-tools> ./adb connect 192.168.1.2 (but your Head units IP address)

D:\platform-tools> ./adb root

D:\platform-tools> ./adb remount

D:\platform-tools> ./adb shell mkdir /system/ziqi/bootanim

D:\platform-tools> ./adb push bootanimation.zip /system/ziqi/bootanim/bootanimation.zip

This will copy the .zip file to the relevant folder on the head unit.

Then back on the head unit, go to factory settings and enter the 3368 password.

Go to boot animation and you should see the .zip file you've just copied across. Long press it and it should take effect.

Reboot and admire your handy work!
Very clear instructions, as Andy said. One thing I don't understand is why you can't copy the ZIP to a USB drive and load it onto the HU that way. That's how I did it on my Panamera HU, although that is totally different to the Erisin in numerous ways. Seems easier to use a USB drive.
Old 02-23-2024 | 05:45 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Here's an animation I made for the Panamera. The source material was a Porsche promo video grabbed from one of their sites. It was made in the widescreen format that my HU is in. The procedure is different to the one required for the Erisin-style unit.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/t984c...b0kdo8kis&dl=0

Last edited by ZedZed; 02-23-2024 at 05:47 AM.
Old 02-23-2024 | 05:55 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZedZed
Very clear instructions, as Andy said. One thing I don't understand is why you can't copy the ZIP to a USB drive and load it onto the HU that way. That's how I did it on my Panamera HU, although that is totally different to the Erisin in numerous ways. Seems easier to use a USB drive.
I tried this and it because the file explorer apps dont have access to the correct destination folder, which is why the procedure above gives temporary root access to enable the file copy
ZedZed (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024 | 05:58 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

I tried this and it because the file explorer apps dont have access to the correct destination folder, which is why the procedure above gives temporary root access to enable the file copy
Got it - thanks. On my Panamera unit I used a USB drive to copy across the file. I ***-u-med that the Erisin would also give access to the boot animation folder in the same way.

BTW, my new ***** arrived the other say. My wife isn't sure she likes them and might prefer the originals, she says. Aaaaaaaggggghhh,
Old 02-23-2024 | 06:08 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Sadly not even though the "Ext" tab in the settings gives the impression it would let you use a USB stick

There a millions of radio ***** on AliExpress... you can spend literally hours trying to find some more suitable ones!

FWIW the originals have this spec

Shaft dia - 6mm
Shaft cut out (D) 5mm
**** Dia 20mm
**** depth - 13mm
Old 02-23-2024 | 08:49 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Sadly not even though the "Ext" tab in the settings gives the impression it would let you use a USB stick
That's what I may have seen that gave me the wrong impression. SWMBO isn't concerned with the current 'animation' so I will leave it as it is I reckon. She never sees it anyway as her uinit boots immediately into Android Auto.

There a millions of radio ***** on AliExpress... you can spend literally hours trying to find some more suitable ones!
Good plan. I will forward her a link to the **** page (LOL - that should get her attention )

FWIW the originals have this spec

Shaft dia - 6mm
Shaft cut out (D) 5mm
**** Dia 20mm
**** depth - 13mm
Thanks Andy. She thought the new ***** "look too big", so maybe she'd be happier with a 20mm diameter, but better quality feel than the original. Who knows? She's a woman
Old 02-26-2024 | 05:00 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Got an update from ebay saying that my extension harness has shipped.

If it arrives before Friday afternoon I'll test it out, but then I'm going away for the weekend and I think my wife might object if I take a bunch of wiring with me!​​
Old 02-26-2024 | 08:10 PM
panagath
Intermediate

Got an update from ebay saying that my extension harness has shipped.

If it arrives before Friday afternoon I'll test it out, but then I'm going away for the weekend and I think my wife might object if I take a bunch of wiring with me!​​
I saw that the one from Lithuania was taking long, so I ordered another one too... and today I got 2 notifications that both are on the way

Hopefully will be able to give it a go in the weekend if they arrive on time.
The following 2 users liked this post by panagath:
andy2111 (02-27-2024), Chuck245 (02-28-2024)
Old 03-01-2024 | 05:19 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

I got my extesion harness in the week, sadly wont get to try it this weekend as I'm going away. Frustrating!
Old 03-01-2024 | 06:46 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

I got my extesion harness in the week, sadly wont get to try it this weekend as I'm going away. Frustrating!
Enjoy your break, mate. I look forward to seeing the result from your new harness when you're back.
Old 03-01-2024 | 07:32 AM
panagath
Intermediate

I got mine today too. Might try it at lunchtime. Or else tomorrow. Will send updates
Old 03-01-2024 | 08:48 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by panagath
I got mine today too. Might try it at lunchtime. Or else tomorrow. Will send updates
Yay! I am super interested in how this works out. Fingers crossed!
Old 03-01-2024 | 08:54 AM
panagath
Intermediate

Hey guys. Happy to report that it seems the CAN-L trick has worked. I used the QuadLock extender and I de-pinned the CAN-L pin, I didn't cut it. Just took it off the one side of the quadlock and used some electrical tape to insulate it and stick it on the rest of the cables. Thankfully the Erisin unit is quite thin so there was plenty of space at the back for the extender cable.

Now I can confirm I managed to change the brightness of the mileage, speedo and clima screens using the bulb button on the cluster. Also the warning lights are not crazy bright any more.

Also the erisin unit seems to listen to CAN too, as it kept showing that I had my door open. Sound seemed ok too.

I don't seem to have lost any functionalities (the GT4 doesn't have a lot of driver assists anyway). Will drive the car in the weekend to double check.

Btw, I had ordered another hareness extender as I was a bit impatient. It should be arriving next week, if anyone wants to buy it off me.

Chuck245 (03-01-2024)

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1