Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 02:18 PM
panagath
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2111
We can confirm back to them that the new build has no effect then, assuming you are also on the same build

Did the build come from the support chat or via the chap you were emailing?
I'm on an older build. 20230925. I will try it in the weekend if I get the time.
Old 03-07-2024, 04:43 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by panagath
I'm on an older build. 20230925. I will try it in the weekend if I get the time.
I had the same build than you and just installed the updated from Erisin. Everything installed smoothly but the brightness issue still there. No improvement. I had no time to check all the other features, but the HU seems to perform as before with the exception of a new launcher versus the one in the prior version. I will need to re-install and setup Car we guru.

BTW: this HU is using Vastking KingPad SA10 EEA tablet as the Android distribution.

Last edited by Chuck245; 03-07-2024 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-08-2024, 04:17 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

@Chuck245 Glad to hear the update was reliable!

Are you on an Erisin branded unit or a clone? I'm interested to see if the update works for the clones as well because if we ever get a fix I could also update my clone HU
Old 03-08-2024, 07:56 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

@Chuck245 Glad to hear the update was reliable!

Are you on an Erisin branded unit or a clone? I'm interested to see if the update works for the clones as well because if we ever get a fix I could also update my clone HU
My HU is a "clone" in the sense that I didn't buy it from Erisin so I think your first HU should work with this update. The update looks like a full Android distribution so unless our non-Erisin HU's have something different at the hardware level, installing the Erisin full Android distribution should be ok.
Note that I have been fixing plumbing issues in our house since yesterday, so I didn't had time to reconfigure AA, Google user, etc... since the update installation. My wife is in charge of work prioritization, and I submitted a request for consideration about setting my HU but it didn't make the short list yet.... I'll ask for a reconsideration after I finish installing the new garbage disposal
The following 2 users liked this post by Chuck245:
andy2111 (03-09-2024), ZedZed (03-09-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 08:29 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck245
My HU is a "clone" in the sense that I didn't buy it from Erisin so I think your first HU should work with this update. The update looks like a full Android distribution so unless our non-Erisin HU's have something different at the hardware level, installing the Erisin full Android distribution should be ok.
Note that I have been fixing plumbing issues in our house since yesterday, so I didn't had time to reconfigure AA, Google user, etc... since the update installation. My wife is in charge of work prioritization, and I submitted a request for consideration about setting my HU but it didn't make the short list yet.... I'll ask for a reconsideration after I finish installing the new garbage disposal
It's a brave man that goes against the advice of Mission Control.

The following users liked this post:
Chuck245 (03-09-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 04:14 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chuck245
OK, at the prioritization meeting this morning, I nonchalantly mentioned that Nordstrom just received the spring collections and that the petites sizes go fast. Mission control got the message loud and clear, and I got a couple of hours with my car this morning. Going to be an expensive update but...

So, looks like the update wiped out my music library and any other file I had installed, the apps that I installed from Google Play, the time and some other settings at Android level as well as my Google account registration. I also had to reconnect my phone with AA using the USB cable like during the initial installation. After this, AA is working wirelessly just fine. Interesting that the HU-specific settings were preserved and didn't need to be reentered. After restoring, music, accounts, apps, settings, phone connection, etc... everything seems to be working just like before. Note that I didn't check every single setting but enough to feel confident that there is no major issue.

From my experience so far, looks like the software on the Erisin-sold HU is compatible with the HU that came from another vendor. Good to know for future fixes.
The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (03-09-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 11:30 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

A couple of times since adding the Quadlock extender with the disconnected CAN-L wire, the HU has not woken up when turning the ignition on. I've had to pop the quadlock off/on to force it to restart. I will monitor it this coming week to see if it keeps happening and if so, I'll have to take the extender out of the loom to see if this fixes it (otherwise I have a new problem!)

I was also thinking that in order to get Erisin's attention I could write an "open letter" type post that is addressed to Erisin support, explaining the issue and that multiple customers have the same problem. I could add the usernames of everyone on this and other forums who has the issue, so it is very clear to Erisin that this problem needs proper investigation and a fix. I'd then message the support chat people and direct them to look at the forum post. What you you all think?
Old 03-10-2024, 04:47 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

A couple of times since adding the Quadlock extender with the disconnected CAN-L wire, the HU has not woken up when turning the ignition on. I've had to pop the quadlock off/on to force it to restart. I will monitor it this coming week to see if it keeps happening and if so, I'll have to take the extender out of the loom to see if this fixes it (otherwise I have a new problem!)

I was also thinking that in order to get Erisin's attention I could write an "open letter" type post that is addressed to Erisin support, explaining the issue and that multiple customers have the same problem. I could add the usernames of everyone on this and other forums who has the issue, so it is very clear to Erisin that this problem needs proper investigation and a fix. I'd then message the support chat people and direct them to look at the forum post. What you you all think?
I think it is an excellent idea. Please add me to the list.

Seems like your quad extension is a dodgy fit and reseating it provides a cure.

Setting up the HU's 'native' state.

I encountered a new thing today. The Director of Operations has decided she wants to try the HU in 'native' form for a while to see if she prefers it to Android Auto. She is very happy with AA but thinks she should give the HU a try. I commend her adventurous nature. This meant a couple of hours today in the garage, setting up her Google account and downloading, installing and configuring the apps she wants to use. All went smoothly, of course, as expected. I set up CarWebGuru as the launcher of choice and added her favourite apps to the home screen. All good. I set up a Tasker routine to turn on the mobile hotspot in her phone when she enters the car and her BT detects the HU. I disabled AA in her phone to prevent it trying to autostart all the time and hijacking the hotspot's wifi connection.

Issue with native radio volume.

While I was there, I finally decided to fit the antenna cable that has been sitting on my bench for weeks. A simple 5-minute in-out job. She is happy with TuneIN Radio or Replaio for radio content, but I figured that while I was messing with it all, I might as well get the internal radio working. The interface leaves a bit to be desired, but the main 'issue' is that it is way louder than all the other sources. At 5 on the volume scale, it blows your socks off. I tried every one of the individual gain and volume controls in the HU settings, but none seemed to make much difference. It isn't the end of the world, but why don't the specific settings for Radio, BT, AUX etc seem to do anything? She will probably carry on using TuneIN or Replaio anyway.

Issue with native phone app.

Finally, the HU's phone app is truly horrible. It has a terrible UI and I could not find a way to get it to download her contacts list. Compared with Android Auto's phone app, it is truly awful. No problem, I thought, I will download one from the Play Store and install it onto the HU. Unfortunately, this is a no-go as the new phone app tries to grab what I think is the AA interface and reports 'no cellular network found'. I don't quite understand this, since the HU and the phone are connected via BT, so what else is needed for a phone call?

Questions for the gurus.

A couple of questions arise from this. First, has anyone else found the native radio app to be very loud, and did you find a fix? Second, has anyone got a solution to make a downloaded phone app work with the HU#s BT connection (or is there a setting I am missing?). The downloaded phone app works fine on the phone itself - I installed and tested it to be sure.

As ever, all suggestions and advice gratefully received.

Old 03-10-2024, 06:35 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,185 Likes on 712 Posts

You Brits have colorful titles for you wives
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
Chuck245 (03-10-2024), ZedZed (03-10-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 07:43 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

I also think that this is a great idea. I didn't get my HU from Erisin but feel free to add me to the list of "unhappy" users. BTW: looks like Erisin is registered as a user in the other forum so you could also send them a public message for everybody on the forum the see.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:03 PM
dbhajek
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts

Hi Bud, The cameral works fine with the Erisin unit and displays the guidelines etc. I think someone somewhere might have been trying it without conecting the power..

The current problem is with the "fix" that we're testing to address the bright lights problem, and that is causing the image from the camera to load very slowly.

If we can get these CAN related issues solved we will have fixed both the bright lights, have all CAN functions fully working and in other recent posts we have largely fixed/worked around the audio hiss, at least for non-Bose card
Thanks for clearing that up, keeping my eye out for this one
Old 03-11-2024, 01:33 AM
Haidang
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
^^^^ One more thing - you may need to unwrap the black OEM tape from around the original car harness so that you can lengthen the orange fiber optic cable to enable you to connect it to the MOST box. Once you have sound, wrap your RCA connectors in some electrical tape. That will prevent them coming apart and also stop any metal parts contacting any other metal parts and maybe causing an issue. (That's two more things, I know. Math was never my best subject )
Hello Zed and Folks
Hows going?
Please help! My car has Bose and multi function steering wheel. I tried to program the buttons on the steering wheel but no luck! Any ideas?
Thank you very much.

Old 03-11-2024, 06:57 AM
panagath
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This is a good idea. Feel free to add mine too.

I got another response from them and it is not good. I replied saying I still want to keep it but they need to fix the issue. I told them I will release a youtube video with an explanation of the issues so people can see the problems and not buy. If anyone can send some photos/video-clips of the brightness issue I can add them to a video.

From Erisin:
​​​​​​​hello,

is there any chance for you to ignore problem to keep radio? we would like to partial refund as compensation, is that ok for you?

or do you have any better idea?
Nancy
Old 03-11-2024, 10:47 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Interestingly, on Erisin's UK website, they show this image, with a dedicated canbus box. My unit (and I suspect all the units referenced on here) have built-in canbus decoders. If there is a quadlock harness specifically available with provision for a canbus decoder, as shown in the image below), then this could be revelatory news. What we would then need is a canbus decoder specifically for our cars. I can note that my unit in the Panamera, which has a specific canbus decoder, is suffering none of the annoying symptoms we are discussing. I wonder if Erisin will provide a replacement quadlock and canbus decoder to one of our members, with a view to trialling it?

Old 03-11-2024, 01:15 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Haidang
Hello Zed and Folks
Hows going?
Please help! My car has Bose and multi function steering wheel. I tried to program the buttons on the steering wheel but no luck! Any ideas?
Thank you very much.
That's odd. That's the screen I see in my wife's Cayman, and she doesn't have steering wheel buttons. Ity seems that your HU thinks you don't either. I wonder if this is another canbus issue? The Erisin website clearly says that the unit supports steering wheel controls. Have you tried asking them for support on this? Sorry I can't be of more help.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1