Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 02:51 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

@panagath please keep us posted. I will be contacting Erisin about this soon as well - you'll see from my previous posts that I ended up buying a second unit specifically from Erisin in the hope of getting some good support from them

If we both raise the same issue we can perhaps reference each other's support ticket number to prove that the issue isn't a one off and hopefully get things moving
The following 2 users liked this post by andy2111:
Chuck245 (02-14-2024), ZedZed (02-14-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 05:23 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
>>The replacement head units are easier to install, don't require you to mess with the PCM, which you can keep intact should you ever want to revert back to stock and if you choose something like the Erisin unit, are probably a better look than stock anyway. Good to have choices.
This is hilarious. Just take a look at this thread which is 95% related to issues with the Erisin unit. I don’t have a horse in this race yet, but to say that the Erisin head unit is an easier install is a stretch. But yeah, good to have choices.

DaveGee
The following users liked this post:
malahhaor (02-20-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 06:34 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
This is hilarious. Just take a look at this thread which is 95% related to issues with the Erisin unit. I don’t have a horse in this race yet, but to say that the Erisin head unit is an easier install is a stretch. But yeah, good to have choices.

DaveGee
We must have different senses of humour The thread isn't nearly 95% about the Errisin unit, let alone 95% about issues with it. I have done 2 Isudar-style installs and 4 Erisin-style installs and I can say pretty much for certain, and from experience, that installing an aftermarket HU is a lot easier than opening the PCM (a real pig in itself) and then gutting it and replacing all those pesky ribbon cables, and then getting the PCM back together, often to discover that one or more ribbon cables isn't properly seated. You seem to be conflating installation with configuration. In my Erisin-style unit (not Erisin but essentially the same) the one and only issue is that the high beam light on the dash doesn't dim at night. Other than that, installation took 15 minutes, configuration longer because there are so many options with these units. In the aftermarket unit in my Panamera there are zero issues, but that was more expensive than the Erisin-style units.

Many of the so-called 'issues' discussed in the thread are user errors or configuration errors and are easily cleared up. If you go to the Isudar thread you will also find a bunch of issues that that style of solution has too, even assuming that the people trying that solution have made the board work to begin with. But it is good to have choices and some people prefer staying with the OEM look, and the outdated screen etc that goes with that, and others prefer a more modern screen and interface, but accept that there may be some 'issues' to resolve. Yet others may be best advised to steer clear of ANY of these aftermarket solutions in case the installation and configuration proves to be too much. Horses for courses
The following 4 users liked this post by ZedZed:
andy2111 (02-14-2024), Chuck245 (02-14-2024), Porsche_nuts (02-14-2024), Sidvicious7 (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 06:27 AM
panagath
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My GT4 had the basic CDR31 without bose or anything like that. So the Erisin unit was a complete plug and play... 1 antenna cable and the quadlock... nothing else. So yes it is easy in lots of cases.

Now only dealing with the canbus bug.
ZedZed (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 06:27 AM
panagath
Intermediate

Yeah. Will wait and see what they say. They sent me a 110eur invoice on paypal for some reason. I hope that was just mistake
Old 02-15-2024, 05:11 PM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great work on the control buttons Andy! Looks very OEM and a big improvement over the cheap shiny plastic kn0bs…
andy2111 (02-15-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 07:08 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by evoderby
Great work on the control buttons Andy! Looks very OEM and a big improvement over the cheap shiny plastic kn0bs…
I ordered the ones Andy recommended and they should arrive next week. I'm looking forward to fitting them and covering those 'halos' of bright light. After that, I think I am all set with this upgrade. If there is no fix for the bright lights issue, I will just leave the 'dim' sticker in place over the high beam light - it is invisible, even if you look for it, and I am not even sure my wife knows it's there. I just told her I had 'fixed' the issue of the high beam light dazzling her at night, thus reconfirming my genius status in her eyes LOL.
Old 02-16-2024, 02:19 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Here's a night pic of the new ***** in action, it's taken slightly from above, but you can see it does cover up the ring and makes the whole thing look much better IMO.

Several people have commented about the blue-ish tint for the background lighting, which I also have. Has anyone played with these settings to see if they make a difference?

Old 02-16-2024, 02:22 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Also ordered a pair of each of the buttons Andy recommended but not sure when they will arrive. Still very happy with the unit even with the brightness control issue that seems to be less pronounced on my unit. I'm actually considering adding an SIM card for a permanent data-only connection.
Old 02-16-2024, 03:18 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Cool pic there Andy! Looks much better. WRT the blue tint, I have tried everything to get a white backlight. Turning R, G & B to 100% should of course give white, but it doesn't. I fiddled extensively and ended up with what seems to be white until you compare it with the OEM white. It doesn't worry my wife any, so I've stopped messing with it now. She's never mentioned it so I may just being a bit OCD about it.

I suspect that full RGB is actually giving white but the clear plastic has a slight tint to it, hence the slight blue appearance.
Old 02-16-2024, 03:29 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Zed, when you were playing with the colours did change the settings in pic above and reboot each time? If yes it'll save me lots of time trying!!

It's close enough if this is as good as it gets...
Old 02-16-2024, 03:44 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andy2111
Zed, when you were playing with the colours did change the settings in pic above and reboot each time? If yes it'll save me lots of time trying!!

It's close enough if this is as good as it gets...
I played with some which made no difference and then gave up. I didn't have the patience to work through them all. If, as I suspect, it's the plastic that had the tint, there's nothing we can do anyway.

I can't remember which of those options I tried, but I would have started at the top and worked my way through before giving up. So if you're going to give it a try, may I suggest you start at the bottom and work on reverse.
andy2111 (02-16-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 12:28 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Has anyone managed to change their boot amimation?

I changed the splash screen so I now get a Porasche crest when the unit first starts, but then I get the green Android logo displayed - I assume this is the "boot animation" even though tthe image isn't amimated?

I've tried in the factory settings where there is an option to change the animation, but it doesn't display any "EXT" external" files for me to load - not sure if they have to be in a specific named directory like the boot logos do?

I also looked online and tried some other methods, but I can't copy the bootanimation.zip file to the unit because I don't have root permissions

Has anyone done this or know where there are some good instructions?
Old 02-19-2024, 06:01 AM
panagath
Intermediate

I got a reply from Erisin. They suggested the following:

Do not worry, we will help you sort out the issue, please try:
1. Please enter Settings——Car settings——factory setting——3368——-CAN setting——Canbus type sort——select——modify——Luzheng——Porsche——Porsche17——-All 0*115_00——-OK——Reboot
2. Please disconnect the power of the car, will the problem persist?
a. If the problem persists, please go to the local car workshop to refresh the car system
b. If the problem disappeared after disconnecting the car stereo, please find the CAN-L cable in your car plug, and cut it off to solve
this issue. Attached please find the directions to show you where the CAN-L cable is.
I think the "a" means to remove the unit to check if the problem stops as this also makes "b" make sense. "Refresh the car system" is probably bad translation.
I wouldn't cut any cable on the factory harness as I want to be able to put it back to stock for warranty reasons. I will try the above, if they don't work, I will order a quad-lock extension cable and cut the CAN-L from that one and see

Last edited by panagath; 02-19-2024 at 06:03 AM.
ZedZed (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 06:16 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

That's very interesting and will be interested to see if any of that works.

I think I already have the correct Porsche17 Canbus selected (#1) and the problem definitely goes away if I pull the quadlock out of the head unit (#2)

Perhaps a) means getting any software/firmware updates from Porsche? Either way it seems like cutting the cable is the thing to try - good luck!

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1