Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2024, 02:10 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jadski
Andy, thanks for checking. I actually read several pages from an XDA thread on this issue with another android unit. It appears that it is an issue with iPhone and android integration using zlink and I assume carlink works the same. I could not find a solution.

https://xdaforums.com/t/dasaita-px6-...eless.4132271/

I spent a good bit of time messing around with it yesterday once I got CarPlay finally working. This post perfectly describes what I am experiencing with my unit regardless of whether I use my iPhone or my wifes iPhone.

Mine appears to be making the connection fairly consistently but we will see what my wife says over the next couple of weeks. As long as I don’t touch any of the hard keys or the diamond button on the SWC, CarPlay appears to work fine.

When any of the hard keys are touched, the phone immediately switches out of carlink/apple CarPlay into android mode. The problem with just using android mode like this is that I only get Bluetooth music and phone and don’t have full access to google maps (navigation) and other apps without using the phone as a hotspot. It does not want to connect the phone as a hotspot because it is stuck trying to auto reconnect to carlink.

As above, it takes a lot of tinkering to get carlink to reconnect. When I open CarPlay on the phone, it sees both the android unit and carlink. CarPlay appears to prefer connecting to the android unit itself and not carlink. I keep trying to get CarPlay to forget the android unit, but it keeps popping back up. Frustrating…

However, the unit is such an upgrade from the original PCM, it is not a big deal if I can’t ever find a better solution. We have gotten used to CarPlay on our other cars and out of convenience for my wife who primarily drives the Macan I was trying to get this worked out because she absolutely hates troubleshooting technology.

We probably just need to get used to using the android interface which with the vivid launcher is pretty cool and easy. It gives a couple of options and I chose the one that looks and functions similar to CarPlay.

If she has issues this week, I will connect the unit to Bluetooth and then use the iPhone as a hotspot use the android interface.

Since I have not seen a much discussion on this thread about iPhone experience, I thought this might be helpful.
I think most people here are on CraPlay. When carlink starts it will disables the head unit wifi. If you go and reneable it so you have Internet connection on the head unit, carlink will be disconnected. I only have AA , so can't speak to to CP, but my carlink can run in the background except for if I switch to the Radio or Phone app, which may have trigger something natively.

Last edited by bmxtreme; 08-04-2024 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-04-2024, 02:14 PM
drawz
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2111
So I found this on XDA

Whilst it's not specifically talking about the Chstek, the explanation above might explan the behaviour that you are seeing when you press a button that takes you out of Carlink - unfortunately they don't propose a solution!
Santirx is involved in that discussion - it doesn't kick you out completely but does cause a brief blink of the display without interruption of the audio. Kind of annoying, but not a deal breaker. Carlink can run in the background though - I have no problem switching to settings or EQ with it running and no interruption of music or maps directions. Switching to another app that has audio (e.g. radio) will kill the carplay audio, as you would expect.

Last edited by drawz; 08-04-2024 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-04-2024, 02:19 PM
drawz
Advanced

Andy, thanks for checking. I actually read several pages from an XDA thread on this issue with another android unit. It appears that it is an issue with iPhone and android integration using zlink and I assume carlink works the same. I could not find a solution.

https://xdaforums.com/t/dasaita-px6-...eless.4132271/

I spent a good bit of time messing around with it yesterday once I got CarPlay finally working. This post perfectly describes what I am experiencing with my unit regardless of whether I use my iPhone or my wifes iPhone.

Mine appears to be making the connection fairly consistently but we will see what my wife says over the next couple of weeks. As long as I don’t touch any of the hard keys or the diamond button on the SWC, CarPlay appears to work fine.

When any of the hard keys are touched, the phone immediately switches out of carlink/apple CarPlay into android mode. The problem with just using android mode like this is that I only get Bluetooth music and phone and don’t have full access to google maps (navigation) and other apps without using the phone as a hotspot. It does not want to connect the phone as a hotspot because it is stuck trying to auto reconnect to carlink.

As above, it takes a lot of tinkering to get carlink to reconnect. When I open CarPlay on the phone, it sees both the android unit and carlink. CarPlay appears to prefer connecting to the android unit itself and not carlink. I keep trying to get CarPlay to forget the android unit, but it keeps popping back up. Frustrating…

However, the unit is such an upgrade from the original PCM, it is not a big deal if I can’t ever find a better solution. We have gotten used to CarPlay on our other cars and out of convenience for my wife who primarily drives the Macan I was trying to get this worked out because she absolutely hates troubleshooting technology.

We probably just need to get used to using the android interface which with the vivid launcher is pretty cool and easy. It gives a couple of options and I chose the one that looks and functions similar to CarPlay.

If she has issues this week, I will connect the unit to Bluetooth and then use the iPhone as a hotspot use the android interface.

Since I have not seen a much discussion on this thread about iPhone experience, I thought this might be helpful.
It shouldn't be this finicky. Something is off. If you haven't already, make sure you install all updates from the App Store (not the Google Play store). These updates from FYT were essential for me to have semi-stable Carlink and even then it still crashes occasionally. For example, before the updates, every time the headlights would turn on, carlink would crash.
Old 08-04-2024, 03:17 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 200 Posts

Most of the people having trouble seem to be using Carlink as their 'bridging' app. Why not ty Zlink instead? I am using it here on 2 units and have never had a single issue of the kind being discussed. Zlink works equally with CP as it does AA, which I verified yesterday. I posted a link to where Zlink 5 can be downloaded.
The following users liked this post:
jadski (08-04-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 03:37 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Another quick tip for folks that likes to sideload apks, if you haven't, what you can do is just install Google drive or the OneDrive app in the head unit and upload your favorite apks into these, then just install them from the head unit directly. This way you don't need to keep copying into your USB drive and get it to your car to do your stuff.
ZedZed (08-05-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 05:48 PM
jadski
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed;[url=tel:19579786
19579786[/url]]Wi-Fi must NOT be connected on the HU when using Android Auto or Carplay. Coonect the phone with Bluetooth to the HU. Carplay/AA establish their own Wi-Fi connection - if the HU is connected by Wi-Fi to a phone hotspot or a router, it will create connection issues.
thanks Zed. yes, I was only using WiFi as a hotspot in native mode; not while trying to use CarPlay.

it looks like I have a few things figured out

User>Application setting opens the next menu

all of these were off and I toggled carlink on. Since then, Carlink has been more consistently connecting.

I also discovered this icon and pinned it to the bottom of my vivid display.

This shortcut toggles between the native android and CarPlay and works perfectly.

Old 08-04-2024, 06:03 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Sounds like progress is being made!

If you get a chance to summarise the correct setup procedure for iPhone and your usability tips once you get it as good as you can, then I will update the guide.
jadski (08-04-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 06:38 PM
drawz
Advanced

@jadski Thanks for the tips! Will see if I can set Carlink to "on" all the time to hopefully enhance stability. I'm curious if you know what setting keeps the parking sensor overlay on (presumably only when it has data to show)? Mine currently only displays when in reverse.

@ZedZed Unless you know of a download source, I don't think one can just install Zlink as an alternative. Carlink does seem to be the standard on FYT headunits.
Old 08-04-2024, 08:28 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

Man im really upset i didnt get the right unit even after changing which one i wanted. Seems like yall are having more fun with the non QUALCOMM unit (I still want wired car play)

Maybe ill sell mine and get the correct one. Anyone want a CHSTEK? haha
Old 08-04-2024, 08:45 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Originally Posted by RwdConnor
Man im really upset i didnt get the right unit even after changing which one i wanted. Seems like yall are having more fun with the non QUALCOMM unit (I still want wired car play)

I don't think you are missing anything except for the boots animation update. The rest are just a bunch of useless hack for bragging rights.

You can look up QCM6125 and ask questions about your device for support on XDA. Might even have better support than these 7862.

Last edited by bmxtreme; 08-05-2024 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-04-2024, 11:09 PM
jadski
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=drawz;[url=tel:19580344]19580344[/url]]@jadski I'm curious if you know what setting keeps the parking sensor overlay on (presumably only when it has data to show)? Mine currently only displays when in reverse.

in the factory settings menu after 3368, click on the car agreement and then after I changed the car to the Macan, it gave me an option to add the radar overlay (it just says: bring overlay to front)
Old 08-04-2024, 11:11 PM
jadski
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by andy2111
Sounds like progress is being made!

If you get a chance to summarise the correct setup procedure for iPhone and your usability tips once you get it as good as you can, then I will update the guide.
sure thing! Let me see how good everything works this week.

thanks to this community for all the help and support.
Old 08-05-2024, 04:53 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by RwdConnor

I'm sure they will exchange it for you if you can wait a bit longer for the spec you wanted?

Last edited by andy2111; 08-05-2024 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-05-2024, 07:07 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
Another quick tip for folks that likes to sideload apks, if you haven't, what you can do is just install Google drive or the OneDrive app in the head unit and upload your favorite apks into these, then just install them from the head unit directly. This way you don't need to keep copying into your USB drive and get it to your car to do your stuff.
Excellent idea. I do similar but with Dropbox.
Old 08-05-2024, 07:09 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

thanks Zed. yes, I was only using WiFi as a hotspot in native mode; not while trying to use CarPlay.

it looks like I have a few things figured out

User>Application setting opens the next menu

all of these were off and I toggled carlink on. Since then, Carlink has been more consistently connecting.

I also discovered this icon and pinned it to the bottom of my vivid display.

This shortcut toggles between the native android and CarPlay and works perfectly.
Great job! I, too, pin a Zlink shortcut to my home screen, just in case it fails to auto-connect. I have had occasion to use it, but it's very rare. Great photos from you as well!

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1