Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 02:31 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 210 Posts

The eagle-eyed, or just those with eyes, will have spotted in that photo above that the unit is not the same as the one we have, judging by the rear view, but the front looks the same and it is the unit recommended for Porsche. I wonder if this is an updated model?
Old 03-11-2024, 02:50 PM
Haidang
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

This is my PCM 3.1 and Erisin HU
TIA
Old 03-11-2024, 02:54 PM
panagath
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
The eagle-eyed, or just those with eyes, will have spotted in that photo above that the unit is not the same as the one we have, judging by the rear view, but the front looks the same and it is the unit recommended for Porsche. I wonder if this is an updated model?
I did notice that. I guess our units are the later models as they are "plug and play" without the need for adapters (in theory, we know better )... What does that external CANBUS decoder do? Could we hack the hardness extension and use that?
Old 03-11-2024, 04:23 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by panagath
I did notice that. I guess our units are the later models as they are "plug and play" without the need for adapters (in theory, we know better )... What does that external CANBUS decoder do? Could we hack the hardness extension and use that?
AFAIK, the canbus 'box' in that photo translates the canbus signals between the car and the HU. On my Panamera unit, I have a similar box and when I bought the unit I had to specify the make, model and year of my car so that they could provide me with a suitable canbus decoder box. This, to me, seems to be a better approach than building into the HU the several 'generic' canbus decoders and allowing us to choose between them.

As we are finding, none of the choices gives a perfect representation of the car's canbus. In my Panamera unit, I have zero canbus issues. Every parameter that can be set by the Panamera canhus is translated properly to the HU. This includes door opening warning, trunk and hood warnings, proximity sensors, reversing camera, interior light delay, exterior light delay, etc etc. Every original setting from the PCM is replicated in the HU. Now the Panamera unit cost over three times as much as the Erisin. but much of that extra cost may be due to the fact that it is a 12.3 inch widescreen unit made specifically for one car model (Panamera in my case). Nonetheless, it shows that the Porsche canbus can be replicated in an Android HU.

I think that if Erisin offered the unit shown in the picture above, we could choose the correct canbus decoder for our cars, thus eliminating some of the problems.

I think the long discussion about these various issues may well put off prospective buyers of the Erisin units, which is a shame since the units are very good in almost all respects and, by and large, these issues are not spoiling the enjoyment of the unit for most people. Having said that, we deserve a fully working unit for our money and I hope that Erisin step up the plate, which will cement their position as a leading supplier of these units. Fingers crossed, but breath not held.
Old 03-11-2024, 04:26 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Haidang

This is my PCM 3.1 and Erisin HU
TIA
That is the exact same unit in my wife's Cayman. You are seeing the same SWC screen as she sees, but her car has the 'sport' steering wheel, without buttons. What is the model and year of your car?
Old 03-11-2024, 04:45 PM
Haidang
Intermediate

Hey Zed
Thanks for a quick response
its 911s 2014
The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (03-11-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 04:57 PM
Haidang
Intermediate

Old 03-11-2024, 07:48 PM
panagath
Intermediate

AFAIK, the canbus 'box' in that photo translates the canbus signals between the car and the HU. On my Panamera unit, I have a similar box and when I bought the unit I had to specify the make, model and year of my car so that they could provide me with a suitable canbus decoder box. This, to me, seems to be a better approach than building into the HU the several 'generic' canbus decoders and allowing us to choose between them.

As we are finding, none of the choices gives a perfect representation of the car's canbus. In my Panamera unit, I have zero canbus issues. Every parameter that can be set by the Panamera canhus is translated properly to the HU. This includes door opening warning, trunk and hood warnings, proximity sensors, reversing camera, interior light delay, exterior light delay, etc etc. Every original setting from the PCM is replicated in the HU. Now the Panamera unit cost over three times as much as the Erisin. but much of that extra cost may be due to the fact that it is a 12.3 inch widescreen unit made specifically for one car model (Panamera in my case). Nonetheless, it shows that the Porsche canbus can be replicated in an Android HU.

I think that if Erisin offered the unit shown in the picture above, we could choose the correct canbus decoder for our cars, thus eliminating some of the problems.

I think the long discussion about these various issues may well put off prospective buyers of the Erisin units, which is a shame since the units are very good in almost all respects and, by and large, these issues are not spoiling the enjoyment of the unit for most people. Having said that, we deserve a fully working unit for our money and I hope that Erisin step up the plate, which will cement their position as a leading supplier of these units. Fingers crossed, but breath not held.
I think I would disagree with you on that. Having the canbus decoder embedded in the unit and controlled by the unit's software is definitely a better solution. As in theory you should be able to upgrade the CANBUS decoder software too and get improvements. While with an external decoder you would be stuck. The problem is that Erisin does not provide and updated software version to cover the issue.

It is also a shame that there isn't enough documentation anywhere about CANBUS. If it was a bit more straightforward to read the messages sent/received and find the issue I could have done the work to create an update myself
Old 03-12-2024, 06:53 AM
panagath
Intermediate

New instructions from Erisin. Can someone try this please?

please entering settings--display--brightness level--adjust it by yourself, and entering Contrast to choose "optimize contrast for available light"

if button cannot light, please entering car settings--factory setting--put the code--3368--ARM setting--panel color power--choose "By light and Power"--then click back mark at the right top of screen--click apply --power off for 5 minutes then restart.

settings--Base setting--Panel color setting--adjust it by yourself
Old 03-12-2024, 08:49 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

I think I would disagree with you on that. Having the canbus decoder embedded in the unit and controlled by the unit's software is definitely a better solution. As in theory you should be able to upgrade the CANBUS decoder software too and get improvements.
I think the operative word there is 'theory'. I can see the potential advantages but if, like in the Erisin case, the software is flawed and the manufacturer isn't interested in fixing it, you're stuck with it. The big benefit of the separate canbus box is that it is easily swapped out by the user.

While with an external decoder you would be stuck.
I'm not seeing this. There are as many canbus decoder boxes as there are canbuses. The seller of my Panamera unit was insistent on my providing the car model and year so that he could provide the correct canbus decoder box. The proof that he got it right is the flawless performance of the HU (so far).

I
The problem is that Erisin does not provide and updated software version to cover the issue.

It is also a shame that there isn't enough documentation anywhere about CANBUS. If it was a bit more straightforward to read the messages sent/received and find the issue I could have done the work to create an update myself
Yes, that last point is certainly a good one. I have spent a fair few hours trying to learn more about canbus, but the rabbit hole seems infinitely deep. Until/unless more info is available, we seem to be in the hands of the sellers, unfortunately. But that is why I prefer the separate box solution because at least that way I can try different boxes if the one supplied isn't working.

Let's hope Erisin offer a fix now that they are being put under some user pressure.
Old 03-12-2024, 09:03 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

New instructions from Erisin. Can someone try this please?
I suspect from their instructions that they are thinking the problem we have is with the display or panel light and not with the vehicle display lighting. My unit is not an Erisin, but an 'Erisin-style' but I tried the instructions anyway. No difference to the 'bright light' issue. However, their instruction re the ARM setting was useful and I set it to 'light and power' and this is a better solution for me than simply having it set to 'power' as before. I had not previously explored that (or any other ARM settings).
Old 03-12-2024, 09:24 AM
panagath
Intermediate

I suspect from their instructions that they are thinking the problem we have is with the display or panel light and not with the vehicle display lighting. My unit is not an Erisin, but an 'Erisin-style' but I tried the instructions anyway. No difference to the 'bright light' issue. However, their instruction re the ARM setting was useful and I set it to 'light and power' and this is a better solution for me than simply having it set to 'power' as before. I had not previously explored that (or any other ARM settings).
I sent them a photo of my cluster now so they can see the issue (I took one before I put the the harness extender with the CAN-L depineed). Hopefully they will understand the issue
The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 12:50 PM
LIT911
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on the krando, if u are using spotify does that show on the dash as well? like what song is playing?

Last edited by LIT911; 03-12-2024 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 12:54 PM
panagath
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LIT911
on the krando, if u are using spotify does that show on the dash as well? like what song is playing?
I'm using it with Android auto and you can choose if you want the maps to be full screen, or split the screen and a big part is maps and the rest is spotify etc. I'm sure Carplay would work in a similar way. I haven't tried the internal UI of the device, Always go straight to android auto
Old 03-12-2024, 01:26 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LIT911
In addition to Panagath's response about using Carplay or AA, you can use the 'native' Android HU interface (ie not Carplay or AA) in split-screen mode. This allows you to choose any two apps to display side by side. So you could have navigation on one half of the screen and Spotify on the other half, both at the same time. The drawback is that the screen's size means that the nav app, IMO, is a bit small. On my much wider (12.3in) display in the Panamera, this works well as the screen is way wider. You'd have to try it yourself and see how it is for you on the Erisin/Krando unit.

To access this feature, in the native interface, click the two little overlapping squares in the taskbar - this then brings down the list of running apps. Select the one you want and drag it to the side of the screen until it 'sticks'. Do the same for the app you want on the other side. It's a bit clumsy to do it until you get the hang of it, but it definitely works.

Personally, I would use Carplay or AA on a HU with this screen size, but try both methods out and see which you prefer.

Last edited by ZedZed; 03-12-2024 at 01:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1