Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 08:58 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by panagath
Hey guys. Happy to report that it seems the CAN-L trick has worked. I used the QuadLock extender and I de-pinned the CAN-L pin, I didn't cut it. Just took it off the one side of the quadlock and used some electrical tape to insulate it and stick it on the rest of the cables. Thankfully the Erisin unit is quite thin so there was plenty of space at the back for the extender cable.

Now I can confirm I managed to change the brightness of the mileage, speedo and clima screens using the bulb button on the cluster. Also the warning lights are not crazy bright any more.

Also the erisin unit seems to listen to CAN too, as it kept showing that I had my door open. Sound seemed ok too.

I don't seem to have lost any functionalities (the GT4 doesn't have a lot of driver assists anyway). Will drive the car in the weekend to double check.

Btw, I had ordered another hareness extender as I was a bit impatient. It should be arriving next week, if anyone wants to buy it off me.

This is great news! And even more so that removing the CAN-L wire had no adverse effect on functionality. I will depin the CAN-L on my wife's Cayman as soon as you and Andy have reported back after a road test. Kudos to you and Andy for pioneering this mod on behalf of the thread - all of us with Erisin-style units owe you a pint!
Old 03-01-2024, 08:58 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

That's awesome news!! Thanks for the update and it's great that nothing appears to have stopped working.

I'll have to wait until next weekend to do mine and will try to update the boot animation at the same time
The following users liked this post:
Chuck245 (03-01-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 09:03 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,185 Likes on 712 Posts

Certainly great news! You guys are amazing. I don't have an Ericson, but happy that a solution was found. Great work guys.
Chuck245 (03-01-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 06:38 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Hey guys. Happy to report that it seems the CAN-L trick has worked. I used the QuadLock extender and I de-pinned the CAN-L pin, I didn't cut it. Just took it off the one side of the quadlock and used some electrical tape to insulate it and stick it on the rest of the cables. Thankfully the Erisin unit is quite thin so there was plenty of space at the back for the extender cable.

Now I can confirm I managed to change the brightness of the mileage, speedo and clima screens using the bulb button on the cluster. Also the warning lights are not crazy bright any more.

Also the erisin unit seems to listen to CAN too, as it kept showing that I had my door open. Sound seemed ok too.

I don't seem to have lost any functionalities (the GT4 doesn't have a lot of driver assists anyway). Will drive the car in the weekend to double check.

Btw, I had ordered another hareness extender as I was a bit impatient. It should be arriving next week, if anyone wants to buy it off me.

Really great news. Well done. The issue was not major for me, but it is always better when everything is working as it should. Again, we do not know what the root issue is. If I may, I would suggest that you or/and Andy ask Erisin what is the actual issue that is solved by disabling CAN-L and if they plan a definitive fix in the near future. They may not answer but it doesn't hurt to ask. Again, great job and congratulations on a fully functional Android HU
ZedZed (03-03-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 01:01 PM
panagath
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck245
Really great news. Well done. The issue was not major for me, but it is always better when everything is working as it should. Again, we do not know what the root issue is. If I may, I would suggest that you or/and Andy ask Erisin what is the actual issue that is solved by disabling CAN-L and if they plan a definitive fix in the near future. They may not answer but it doesn't hurt to ask. Again, great job and congratulations on a fully functional Android HU
I have asked the a couple of times to tell me what the issue is and whether they are planning to fix it with a software update but they only keep asking for the wiring diagram of my old unit. I won't tell them yet that it is fixed now. I will find my old unit in the storage room to send them a pic and keep pushing to see if they come up with an answer.

If disabling CAN-L is the only solution, they should be offering the unit with the quadlock extender really. I shouldn't have to pay the extra £25 to fix the problem.
Old 03-02-2024, 01:49 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

I have asked the a couple of times to tell me what the issue is and whether they are planning to fix it with a software update but they only keep asking for the wiring diagram of my old unit. I won't tell them yet that it is fixed now. I will find my old unit in the storage room to send them a pic and keep pushing to see if they come up with an answer.

If disabling CAN-L is the only solution, they should be offering the unit with the quadlock extender really. I shouldn't have to pay the extra £25 to fix the problem.
Agree. At the very least, they should provide a modified quadlock extender. What are they asking for exactly about the diagram of your old unit? Just a picture of the PCM quadlock or something else?
Old 03-03-2024, 02:46 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Got home a few hours ago and couldn't resist testing this out - and I have good news and bad...

Good news is the original problem of the over bright light appears to be fixed and I can also confirm that adjusting the interior lighting from the dial on the instrument cluster also works as it should

The bad news is that cutting the CAN-L wire seems to have made reading the Canbus signals a bit intermittent. I only tested quickly wth doors opennig and closing, but I got odd behaviour like it taking ages to recognise that the door was open, or keeping the door open symbol displayed for a few seconds after it has been closed. I've not tested with anything else yet like parking sensors or the reverse camera - I'll do that in the week.

@panagath are you seeing anything like this at all?

Frustrating!
ZedZed (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 03:23 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andy2111
Got home a few hours ago and couldn't resist testing this out - and I have good news and bad...

Good news is the original problem of the over bright light appears to be fixed and I can also confirm that adjusting the interior lighting from the dial on the instrument cluster also works as it should

The bad news is that cutting the CAN-L wire seems to have made reading the Canbus signals a bit intermittent. I only tested quickly wth doors opennig and closing, but I got odd behaviour like it taking ages to recognise that the door was open, or keeping the door open symbol displayed for a few seconds after it has been closed. I've not tested with anything else yet like parking sensors or the reverse camera - I'll do that in the week.

Frustrating!
A mixed blessing then, Andy. I never quite understood the logic of disconnecting the Canbus Low wire. I always thought that Canbus needed a pair of wires (generally a twisted pair to minimise interference to the tiny Canbus currents) - Can High and Can Low. Disconnecting one seemed to me to be odd and bound to affect the way the Canbus was working. I must admit that my assumption (and that's all it is at this stage) would be that disconnecting one of the pair of wires would stop the thing working at all, so your experience seems to disprove that by allowing 'slow working'. I wonder if this is the time to revisit those different Canbus settings in the Factory menu (the ones we tried before that made no difference to anything)?

I'd like to know what Erisin's logic was in disconnecting the Can Low wire? They must have believed that it would cause no ill effects. Panagath's car is the GT4 I believe, and he may not even have niceties like door open and proximity sensors etc.

Thanks to you and @panagath for pioneering this.
Old 03-03-2024, 04:26 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZedZed
A mixed blessing then, Andy. I never quite understood the logic of disconnecting the Canbus Low wire. I always thought that Canbus needed a pair of wires (generally a twisted pair to minimise interference to the tiny Canbus currents) - Can High and Can Low. Disconnecting one seemed to me to be odd and bound to affect the way the Canbus was working. I must admit that my assumption (and that's all it is at this stage) would be that disconnecting one of the pair of wires would stop the thing working at all, so your experience seems to disprove that by allowing 'slow working'. I wonder if this is the time to revisit those different Canbus settings in the Factory menu (the ones we tried before that made no difference to anything)?

I'd like to know what Erisin's logic was in disconnecting the Can Low wire? They must have believed that it would cause no ill effects. Panagath's car is the GT4 I believe, and he may not even have niceties like door open and proximity sensors etc.

Thanks to you and @panagath for pioneering this.
My limited understanding of the CAN bus specifications is that the reason to have two wires in the Can bus (Can Low and Can High) is to check the integrity of the electrical signal (physical level) between bus nodes. IOW, that the electrical signal that carries the actual data is correct and not distorted. If the signal is distorted, I would assume that the data (or frames) carried by the electrical signal would be discarded, and this will trigger a resend or an error (or both).

The actual data (like door status, etc...) is handled at another level in the Can bus communication. If this is correct, disconnecting Can Low would not remove the actual transfer of data but if the integrity of the electrical signal cannot be validated because the Can L is disconnected thus the comparison with Can H cannot be made, delays and retries could happen. Definitely, hypothetical. Somebody with more CAN bus knowledge than us can validate or/and correct. Or even better, Erisin can tell us what the root issue is that they are trying to address by disconnecting Can L.
I'm busy for the next few days but will try to disconnect Can L and see if I also get the same issues that Andy reported.
Old 03-03-2024, 04:32 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chuck245
My limited understanding of the CAN bus specifications is that the reason to have two wires in the Can bus (Can Low and Can High) is to check the integrity of the electrical signal (physical level) between bus nodes. IOW, that the electrical signal that carries the actual data is correct and not distorted. If the signal is distorted, I would assume that the data (or frames) carried by the electrical signal would be discarded, and this will trigger a resend or an error (or both).

The actual data (like door status, etc...) is handled at another level in the Can bus communication. If this is correct, disconnecting Can Low would not remove the actual transfer of data but if the integrity of the electrical signal cannot be validated because the Can L is disconnected thus the comparison with Can H cannot be made, delays and retries could happen. Definitely, hypothetical. Somebody with more CAN bus knowledge than us can validate or/and correct. Or even better, Erisin can tell us what the root issue is that they are trying to address by disconnecting Can L.
I'm busy for the next few days but will try to disconnect Can L and see if I also get the same issues that Andy reported.
That makes sense Chuck. It would explain Andys 'slow' mode as the system looks for a confirmation signal that never comes. Of course, in this circumstance Erisin should not be suggesting it as a solution. Fixing one thing while breaking another isn't helpful.
Old 03-03-2024, 07:59 PM
Frederic944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gents,

Does anyone have experience with CarLinkLife and their offering for the PCM 3.1?

https://carlinklife.com/products/wir...deo-module-box

Thanks

Frederic
Old 03-03-2024, 08:22 PM
panagath
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Frustrating!
I just drove around the car today for 1hour to top up the batt. I don't seem to have lost any functionality.

I did notice it takes a couple of seconds to show on erisin that the door closed. But it didn't really bother me. If we could completely disable it from erisin I would be happy too. As I said before, the GT4 doesn't come with any drivers assists, so I do not seem to have lost anything.

I was quite happy with the unit though. I had my phone plugged in (not wireless) in the glovebox. Drove around, volume and sound clarity was very good. Waze worked fine, spotify worked fine. I'm using Android Auto. So quite happy with it.

The only feature I would like it to have would be to be able to read the speed of the car and adjust the volume. the GT4 can be quite loud in the cabin when at speed, and then you stop at the traffic lights and be like an idiot listening to loud music... But that issue was there with the CDR unit too.
Old 03-04-2024, 04:16 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

@panagath I'm glad its working out for you!

I just did a quick test of the reverse camera and it is also very slow to load and makes it quite unusable as you need the camera to display as soon as you shift into reverse

Think my next step is to raise a support ticket with Erisin, explain that I have done the CAN-L trick and what the knock on effects are and see if they can provide a software fix
Old 03-04-2024, 12:26 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

@panagath I'm glad its working out for you!

I just did a quick test of the reverse camera and it is also very slow to load and makes it quite unusable as you need the camera to display as soon as you shift into reverse

Think my next step is to raise a support ticket with Erisin, explain that I have done the CAN-L trick and what the knock on effects are and see if they can provide a software fix
This sounds like the next logical step. Note that Erisin may have intended disconnecting CAN-L as a diagnostic step to identify the cause of the issue not the final fix and they anticipated the side effects. Let's cross fingers that this was indeed their intention. As I said, I will not have a chance to try on my car before most likely next week and I will report results.
@panagath Great to see that you are less impacted by the side effects of the CAN-L disconnection. I would nevertheless suggest that you get back to Erisin reporting the issues with their "solution". Clearly disconnecting part of the CAN bus is not a very good approach and most likely will limit any new features that Erisin may try to roll out in the future.
More customers complaining may motivate them to a real fix.
ZedZed (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 05:53 PM
dbhajek
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts

I noticed someone mentioned that the rear factory camera doesn't turn on automatically when the car is put into reverse. Was this problem ever fixed?

I have one of the original Isudar boards. For me, if you're okay with opening up the radio, it's the better option despite the glitches. If they can resolve the bright light problem and the rear camera issue, I'd be interested. I'm keeping an eye on this discussion and hoping for improvements.

V/R,
Bud

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1