Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 04:19 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

I tested the bright lights fix last night and it appears to be working. It was a really quick test but all the dash lights appear to be normal intensity and the instrument brightness control works. Not checked the rest of the CAN functionality yet

I also took delivery of some different ***** so will post a picture at weekend
The following users liked this post:
MP4S&G (03-21-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 07:51 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 258 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by ratt359
Let's hope the after-sales support is as good as the pre-sales!
This is, unfortunately, in my experience, wishful thinking of an industrial grade.

Once they have your money, communications tend to dry up. But , , , as others have found recently, persistence can pay off.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:21 AM
Ahmad310
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2111
I tested the bright lights fix last night and it appears to be working. It was a really quick test but all the dash lights appear to be normal intensity and the instrument brightness control works. Not checked the rest of the CAN functionality yet

So happy to see this issue appears to be resolved. I've been closely watching this thread for quite awhile and am really close to pulling the trigger on this unit. Can someone confirm if these are the wires i need to order for my 2013 C2S (w/Bose)? Is there anything else besides the actual unit and most box that I need to have for this?

GPS:
Amazon Amazon
Radio:
Amazon Amazon

Also interested in seeing the new ***** when you get them on!
Old 03-21-2024, 10:15 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ahmad310
So happy to see this issue appears to be resolved. I've been closely watching this thread for quite awhile and am really close to pulling the trigger on this unit. Can someone confirm if these are the wires i need to order for my 2013 C2S (w/Bose)? Is there anything else besides the actual unit and most box that I need to have for this?

GPS: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MCL8R3G...CN4MXQWRRNGHA2
Radio: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QJCFKK6...CN4MXQWRRNGHA2

Also interested in seeing the new ***** when you get them on!
Yes, those are the cables you need.

You need the MOST box of course as you know. Anything else is optional. You might want to consider front and rear cameras if you don't already have them, and TPMS can be useful. It will be easier to add these things at the time of installing the HU rather than afterwards, but TBH once you have installed the HU the first time, pulling it out and putting it back afterwards is a 5 minute job.

Last edited by ZedZed; 03-21-2024 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:39 AM
Ahmad310
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZedZed
Yes, those are the cables you need.

You need the MOST box of course as you know. Anything else is optional. You might want to consider front and rear cameras if you don't already have them, and TPMS can be useful. It will be easier to add these things at the time of installing the HU rather than afterwards, but TBH once you have installed the HU the first time, pulling it out and putting it back afterwards is a 5 minute job.
Thank you! Will I still get the TPMS display in my gauge cluster display. I was under impression that the OEM TPMS readings would stay and the TPMS for the Erinsin unit would just allow to display them on the head unit.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:44 AM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

I checked front and rear cameras, proximity sensors, doors opened alerts and they work fine and fast. So far, I have not found any regression issue after applying the fix. Fingers crossed.
ZedZed (03-21-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 01:06 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ahmad310
Thank you! Will I still get the TPMS display in my gauge cluster display. I was under impression that the OEM TPMS readings would stay and the TPMS for the Erinsin unit would just allow to display them on the head unit.
Oh yes - if your car, like mine, has OEM TPMS, you will still get that in the car's multifunctional display (MFD). In the MFD you will still get all the 'vitals' (oil pressure/temp etc), plus TPMS if your car has it, plus the three Trip screens, plus Sport Chrono if you have it. You will not get any useful info in the satnav screen, phone screen or the radio screen, since that info used to come from the PCM which will be in a box on your garage bench You can turn off these redundant screens in the MFD by going to Menus Scope and unticking them.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:08 PM
Ahmad310
Rennlist Member

Oh yes - if your car, like mine, has OEM TPMS, you will still get that in the car's multifunctional display (MFD). In the MFD you will still get all the 'vitals' (oil pressure/temp etc), plus TPMS if your car has it, plus the three Trip screens, plus Sport Chrono if you have it. You will not get any useful info in the satnav screen, phone screen or the radio screen, since that info used to come from the PCM which will be in a box on your garage bench You can turn off these redundant screens in the MFD by going to Menus Scope and unticking them.
Perfect, thank you!
ZedZed (03-21-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 07:42 AM
panagath
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm getting ignored by Erisin at the moment. They sent me another link with a "fix" but it was a BMW one...so I told her off a bit as it is the second time she sent the wrong link. They haven't come back to me since. I will keep messaging once a week.

On a fb group, one of the guys installed a unit and it seems to not have the brightness issues (not 100% he understands the problem so it might not be solved either). But his unit has dates 20240131. If someone gets hold of this please test and let us know

Old 03-22-2024, 07:44 AM
panagath
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Also, if anyone else needs a harness for the brightness fix, I have one extra for sale (was too impatient and bought 2). £25 posted in the UK. It will be much faster than waiting to get it from EU as it took 3 weeks. I can also de-pin it for you so it is ready.

Old 03-22-2024, 08:13 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Changing the subject from the 'bright lights' issue for a while, I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this issue below.

My wife decided that she would like to try the 'native' HU for a while - she has been using the HU exclusively with Android Auto since I installed it, and she has been very happy with that. But she thought she would like to compare AA with the HU running apps 'natively'. I duly set up the HU todo just that. She was very impressed with the 'full' version of her favourite apps, compared to the cut-down versions that CP and AA offer.

However, we have a very odd issue, which I have been unable to resolve. The volume control all happens between 1 and 6 on the scale! And there is a massive jump from 4 to 5. 4 is not loud enough, and 5 is deafening. Anything beyond 6 is unusable for fear of permanent hearing damage! When using AA, however, the volume control works entirely as expected and gives a graduated increase over the full scale.

I have messed about with all the gain controls I can find in the Settings menus, but none of them seems to make much difference. I may be missing something obvious. What I especially don't get is why the volume control works perfectly with AA but exhibits this weird behaviour when she uses the same apps but running on the HU itself. Anyone any ideas?
Apologies for quoting my own post but it seemed the simplest way to update the thread in case anyone else has the same issue. I have resolved this issue by going into Factory settings and turning the master gain down (it was set very high). I did this before but what I failed to realise was that the unit needs a reboot for the setting to take effect. After rebooting, the volume control is much more granular and we can use the full range from 0 to maximum, with about halfway being the sweet spot. Another problem solved

EDIT: I have seen people in the thread saying that the gain controls in the settings don't do anything. They do - but only after a reboot. It makes trial and error a bit of a pain, but it is what it is.

Last edited by ZedZed; 03-22-2024 at 08:16 AM.
Chuck245 (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 08:15 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

For the avoidance of doubt, when one fixes the bright lights issue with the new canbus update, does the CAN-L pin still need to be disconnected, or does the canbus update work without doing this?
Old 03-22-2024, 08:37 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

For the bright lights fix you need to:
  • Revert to standard Erisin harness e.g. do not have the CAN-L disconnected
  • Update to the latest version of CANBUS software per post #2216 - its worth noting that the USB update did not work for me, so I used the "app online upgrade" button (which requires an internet connection) and it found and downloaded the CANBUS software update
  • You need to reboot after the update (at least I needed to reboot)

@panagath if you're trying to fix the bright lights issue, the build number in your picture isn't referencing the software you need to update - I am on the same build as you and still had the bright lights. As above, you need to update the CANBUS software and it should detect an update with a March 2024 build number. Have you done this update because it appears to have worked for everyone that tried it?

Last edited by andy2111; 03-22-2024 at 08:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by andy2111:
SFZ GT3 (07-08-2024), ZedZed (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 09:21 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

For the bright lights fix you need to:
  • Revert to standard Erisin harness e.g. do not have the CAN-L disconnected
  • Update to the latest version of CANBUS software per post #2216 - its worth noting that the USB update did not work for me, so I used the "app online upgrade" button (which requires an internet connection) and it found and downloaded the CANBUS software update
  • You need to reboot after the update (at least I needed to reboot)
Fab! Thanks Andy. I want to do the fix on the Cayman this weekend. I'll try the online upgrade first as it seems easier than faffing about with USB sticks. Wonderful support from you guys who persevered with the seller! If we ever get to meet, I owe you a beer!
Old 03-22-2024, 09:50 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Those of us in the UK could form the "Porsche Android Head Unit Club" and have a meet up!

Last edited by andy2111; 03-22-2024 at 10:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1