Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 03:26 PM
TimYH
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I appreciate and understand why the add-on board approach is more popular. I wanted to know if someone had tried this particular product and had documented any of the issues associated with it. From the sound of things, the answer is no (at least in the English speaking Rennlist world). There are use cases for replacing the entire PCM unit for reasons other than getting Carplay/Android Auto. I think it would be a worthwhile experiment for a DIY-er to try and report back to the community if we never get an official response from @Kimiiii . I've considering trying it myself but I have a few other projects to do first on my 991.
Old 06-03-2022, 04:43 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 212 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Class5Kayaker
After following this post since its inception I finally decided to pull the trigger on this mod. I purchased the NM Automotive kit based on all the pros and cons found within this thread and the Nakita backup cam from Amazon.

I re-read this thread in its entirety and watched multiple YouTube videos before diving in. Happy to say the install went off without a single issue! I put the module/box in the passenger footwell under the carpet. I zip-tied it to the two extra thick wires under there with the vents of the module facing down so they would actually ventilate and not be mashed against the carpet/padding and possibly overheat the module (there is about a 1/2" void between the module and the body of the car if you place it where I did since the module is resting against the two thick wires, it will make sense to you when you get "in there" and see for yourself).

Can't believe I waited so long to do this mod. It's like I'm driving a new car with the upgrade in the tech....lol

Thanks to everyone who posted their experiences in this thread! It really helped me out A LOT.
Adding a picture of where I put my module since several folks have asked for a pic. This is in the passenger footwell under the carpet. I made a 6-hour each way round trip recently, zero issues with it overheating. To me this makes more sense then trying to jam it in the center console area. Easier install, plus easier access to it if you ever need it (add a front camera, etc.)

Old 06-03-2022, 07:58 PM
c615586
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
It looks like the iSudar unit would completely replace the car's original PCM. If that's the case, be aware that any unit you install that wholly replaces the existing PCM - like the iSudar unit appears to do - will result in lost functionality. There are many things the PCM does beyond telephone support that a replacement unit like the iSudar does not. While the iSudar unit supports CarPlay and apparently has an AM/FM radio built in (according to the iSudar website), it will not support any native Porsche function that's built into the PCM. Sport Chrono functionality is one example. Other things you'll lose include at least Sirius/XM, PCM native maps (which display on the instrument cluster), favorite channels displayed on the instrument cluster for selection via the steering wheel controls, etc. This is why installing an add-on board to an existing PCM is IMO a better way to go - you can add CarPlay without losing any preexisting native PCM functionality.
I don't mind losing the map in the gauge cluster but I do want to keep the tpms display, trip meters, etc... does that data come through the PCM, too?
Old 06-04-2022, 12:46 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 311 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by c615586
I don't mind losing the map in the gauge cluster but I do want to keep the tpms display, trip meters, etc... does that data come through the PCM, too?
Good question - I don't know. Generally speaking, it seems reasonable to expect that anything you can call up on your PCM screen will be gone if you replace the unit with iSudar. Besides losing nav maps and music selections from the instrument cluster, if you want to know if you'll lose anything else by ditching the PCM, before you splurge on an iSudar head unit you might want to just pull your PCM out of the dash and disconnect it. Then, start your car and see what you've lost on the cluster or otherwise.
Old 06-04-2022, 01:44 PM
c615586
Instructor

Originally Posted by LSR
Good question - I don't know. Generally speaking, it seems reasonable to expect that anything you can call up on your PCM screen will be gone if you replace the unit with iSudar. Besides losing nav maps and music selections from the instrument cluster, if you want to know if you'll lose anything else by ditching the PCM, before you splurge on an iSudar head unit you might want to just pull your PCM out of the dash and disconnect it. Then, start your car and see what you've lost on the cluster or otherwise.
Good point. I’m pretty pleased with my current JoyeAuto set up, but the iSudar looks like a nice upgrade.

I don’t think I’ve read problems with gauge cluster display in cars where people have swapped out the pcm for an aftermarket (pioneer, jvc, etc…) stereo. Will do more research…
Old 06-04-2022, 02:12 PM
spwjr
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c615586
All PCM functions are retained in the gage cluster after the joyeauto mod
Old 06-04-2022, 02:41 PM
c615586
Instructor

Originally Posted by spwjr
All PCM functions are retained in the gage cluster after the joyeauto mod
I know this. I’ve already done the JoyeAuto mod.

The question we have been discussing is if you swap out the pcm for the iSudar unit or a standard aftermarket 2-DIN stereo, will the driver have access to the standard data in the gauge cluster screen.
Old 06-04-2022, 02:57 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 138 Posts

To me it appears the Isudar screen just replaces the OEM screen, attaches to the PCM which is not the screen, but the metal enclosure behind the screen and it has builtin CarPlay. However the video and the description are not clear on that. It seems to use the OEM amp and other components.
Old 06-04-2022, 03:50 PM
ftc3
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 49 Posts

Thank you to everyone who have posted their experience with all the products on the market. I have looked through the cascade of posts but I can’t tell if the latest versions of NM Automotive or JoyAuto require an add-on microphone or do they utilize the factory microphone like iSudar?

My preference would be to go with iSudar to skip the extra boxes but I want backup camera integration.
Old 06-04-2022, 04:51 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Live Steam
To me it appears the Isudar screen just replaces the OEM screen, attaches to the PCM which is not the screen, but the metal enclosure behind the screen and it has builtin CarPlay. However the video and the description are not clear on that. It seems to use the OEM amp and other components.
This is interesting as I thought the PCM was done away with entirely and the PCM connections attached to the "new screen". If it does attach to the PCM as you suggest, I would think all PCM functions would be retained. This is why an install video would be extremely helpful @Kimiiii
Old 06-05-2022, 07:40 AM
Bgreig
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are devices that convert wired CarPlay to wireless. I am using one in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. It is a simple plug in of a little box into the USB port.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:38 PM
Bgreig
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waze works on Apple CarPlay

I use Waze on Apple CarPlay in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Works great!
Old 06-06-2022, 10:33 AM
c615586
Instructor

The PCM (as in the nav screen and enclosure) are completely replaced by the iSudar nav screen and surround.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:38 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 212 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ftc3
Thank you to everyone who have posted their experience with all the products on the market. I have looked through the cascade of posts but I can’t tell if the latest versions of NM Automotive or JoyAuto require an add-on microphone or do they utilize the factory microphone like iSudar?

My preference would be to go with iSudar to skip the extra boxes but I want backup camera integration.
NM Automotive uses the factory mic for phone calls, but you still need to mount the other mic to use Siri. But you can completely hide it since you aren't trying to get the best clarity (e.g., during phone calls). Mine sits up under the steering column completely hidden from view.
Old 06-08-2022, 02:30 PM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by ftc3
Doesn't iSudar support OE and aftermarket cameras? or am I missing something?
https://www.isudar.com/collections/w...39428865294418

Last edited by bb964; 06-08-2022 at 02:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1