991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 05:05 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,908 Likes on 2,784 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The whole 'unlimited production 911R' nonsense in that article is garbage.
I think you are thinking of the 911T, not the GT3 Touring. The GT3 Touring is in many respects an unlimited 911R (without a few parts and decals), but the 911T is like a cheaper base Carrera with some nostalgia and lively dynamics for the money (relative to other 991's).
Old 09-06-2017, 06:05 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think you are thinking of the 911T, not the GT3 Touring. The GT3 Touring is in many respects an unlimited 911R (without a few parts and decals), but the 911T is like a cheaper base Carrera with some nostalgia and lively dynamics for the money (relative to other 991's).
I'm referring to the article, which is in total a joke full of nonsense, but refers to a 'regular' 911 as being the 911R-like unlimited car. The 911T isn't going to be anything like the 911R and the Touring GT3, assuming there is one, is going to be anything but 'unlimited'.

The article is full of nonsense and the Porsche 'leaks' are BS. We're most likely getting a base turbo 911 with a few styling tweaks and (maybe) a proper 6 speed and a GT3 Touring that 11 people who pay $25k over will be able to buy. Yay Porsche.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:37 PM
ricsan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be not the row to purchase these cars.
The people want what is hard to find and purchase, an exclusive car.
These will be ordinary cars.
About the Gt3 without rear wing is a nonsense : Gt3 = track-pista.
A car like 911R but with no exclusive parts and engine of the R is simply : I WANT BUT I CANNOT.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:46 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 984 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by ricsan
A car like 911R but with no exclusive parts and engine of the R is simply : I WANT BUT I CANNOT.
I agree with this completely. Disclaimer, I did overpay for an R, but no matter what porsche does with a GT3, it will always be a wingless GT3 or R-like car. Still isn't AN R so to speak.There is an emotion that deals with them that the numbers (hp etc etc) doesn't encapsulate. However it lets way more people have fun with a similar aesthetic...and thats just pure awesome!
Old 09-06-2017, 07:52 PM
ricsan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche is MONEY ASKING MACHINE FROM MARKET.
The last GT3 is more expensive than previous .1.
And the next RS will go optioned at 250K € or $
Old 09-06-2017, 08:33 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes and no.

Yes, a lot of people want exclusivity, but a whole other group just want an amazing machine to connect to. They value the driving quality far above social status.

The link between man and machine is a profound one. And people value it. Hence why E30 M3s are appreciating. People are paying 50k for a car that can be beaten by a Civic SI. All because the driving feels so good.

This is the 911 for that second group.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:05 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 435 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
I agree with this completely. Disclaimer, I did overpay for an R, but no matter what porsche does with a GT3, it will always be a wingless GT3 or R-like car. Still isn't AN R so to speak.There is an emotion that deals with them that the numbers (hp etc etc) doesn't encapsulate. However it lets way more people have fun with a similar aesthetic...and thats just pure awesome!
R like Rob machine

Porsche did wrong with simplicistic 3.0 engine

but was very good smelling the Singer and past 911s large potential market

indeed there s more electronic in a 991 R than any 90' f 117 stealth fighter...
Old 09-07-2017, 08:01 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
A base Carrera with lightweight wheels, a well-tuned analog suspension (a la Boxster Spyder), mechanical LSD, no RWS, LWB, reduced sound deadening and other weight reduction, manual with short shifter, sport exhaust, and an Aerokit would be a compelling package if priced right...which IMO is around base Carrera MSRP ($90k). At Carrera S MSRP ($105k+) a potential buyer will be looking at the GT4.
Pricing is Carrera S "ish" apparently. But I like your description of key items. It wouldn't be to bad and if priced this way could be a fun car that you wouldn't worry about taking out in the rain or not having to keep in a temp controlled garage.

A stripper 911T that you couldn't get any "soft" options on might be a real winner.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:36 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 286 Likes on 153 Posts

The 991.2 GT3 Touring may lack the magnesium room and some other bits, but it gains a superior 9k Motorsport engine that will outrun the R. And less than HALF the price. What's "a nonsense" again?

I love the 911R, but the badge and decals mean less to me than to others. I'll gladly concede bragging rights over exclusivity at a Cars and Coffee meet up with an extra $200k in my pocket.

I'll say it again, if anyone thinks a wing "makes" a GT3, it ain't saying much for the rest of the car.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:55 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
The 991.2 GT3 Touring may lack the magnesium room and some other bits, but it gains a superior 9k Motorsport engine that will outrun the R. And less than HALF the price. What's "a nonsense" again?

I love the 911R, but the badge and decals mean less to me than to others. I'll gladly concede bragging rights over exclusivity at a Cars and Coffee meet up with an extra $200k in my pocket.

I'll say it again, if anyone thinks a wing "makes" a GT3, it ain't saying much for the rest of the car.
Bud, you got some serious R envy going.. You want the motorsport "goods' so you can flex at a C&C? LMFAOGTFO
Old 09-07-2017, 02:33 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Hurry up and get all the speculation over with.
Facts will be out soon and render all this mental masturbation moot.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:41 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 286 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Bud, you got some serious R envy going.. You want the motorsport "goods' so you can flex at a C&C? LMFAOGTFO
My point (as you missed it) was in reply to another claiming a Touring edition is "nonsense." It's not, as a wing doesn't "make" a GT3, as it's mostly superfluous for most of the driving done here in the U.S.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:01 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 138 Posts

Nonsense = motorsport derived car, specifically used to hard park @ Cars & Coffee...
Old 09-07-2017, 03:30 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
My point (as you missed it) was in reply to another claiming a Touring edition is "nonsense." It's not, as a wing doesn't "make" a GT3, as it's mostly superfluous for most of the driving done here in the U.S.
If you're referring to my post, I wasn't saying the GT3 Touring is nonsense. I think it's awesome and would have loved one. My point was that the way the "rumored unlimited 911R" was being spun by the media in past week is a bunch of nonsense, both the article and the supposed Porsche leaks. The writer is mixing up various bits of rumor and Porsche is being disingenuous if they are putting out rumors of an unlimited purist 911R type of car. The 911T, if rumors are true, will be a turbo charged base 911 (nothing like a 911R) and the GT3 Touring is going to be anything but unlimited. Unless we all get surprised, this is just more mental masturbation by all of us and Porsche that will lead us back to the same dreary place - i.e., not enough of the true 911's some of us want will be available to us.

And as regards the 911R, I saw a couple again this weekend and, while I'm sure the .3 GT3T will be great, the 911R is a truly special car. I'd slice off my left nut with a dull pocket knife for one.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:38 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Best "Catch Phrase" I've read in a long time!

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by Archimedes
If you're referring to my post, I wasn't saying the GT3 Touring is nonsense. I think it's awesome and would have loved one. My point was that the way the "rumored unlimited 911R" was being spun by the media in past week is a bunch of nonsense, both the article and the supposed Porsche leaks. The writer is mixing up various bits of rumor and Porsche is being disingenuous if they are putting out rumors of an unlimited purist 911R type of car. The 911T, if rumors are true, will be a turbo charged base 911 (nothing like a 911R) and the GT3 Touring is going to be anything but unlimited. Unless we all get surprised, this is just more mental masturbation by all of us and Porsche that will lead us back to the same dreary place - i.e., not enough of the true 911's some of us want will be available to us.

And as regards the 911R, I saw a couple again this weekend and, while I'm sure the .3 GT3T will be great, the 911R is a truly special car. I'd slice off my left nut with a dull pocket knife for one.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option