Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 12:44 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
For all you guys wanting a touring GT3...buy yourself a GTS and get a tune for it because GT3s are meant to have a wing and no back seats.
i would say it differently - 911s are supposed to be sports cars. With the 991 I would call the non-GT cars Grand Tourers and the GT are closer to what a 911 used to be, but much softer than what a RS used to be. For me a 2+2 GT3 is the perfect family sports car. Maybe the GT2 RS will give us the old RS experience, but I doubt it.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:48 PM
Bartleby7334
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Ever stop to think that the carbon fiber wing might be a limiting factor in satisfying all the GT3 demand?
Hand laying and curing, trimming and finishing production series parts to Porsche quality standards could be a bottleneck to making as many as they'd like.

Heck, the same with the LWB's.

If that's the case, a Touring option/model is a no-brainer from the manufacturing standpoint, in my opinion.

(first post by the way: I had to chime in because I have a snowball's chance of getting a GT3 allocation,
and I'd love access to that engine in a more streetable car...)
Old 05-17-2017, 12:57 PM
Roma1280
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
And they say we're not in a bubble, lol...

Too early to say. If Porsche makes three they will be worth a ton regardless. If they make a lot then my instinct is that they will be worth less. Virtually guaranteed to be worth less long term if they come with back seats.

Short term practicality matters- air conditioning, comfortable ride, back seats, road noise, low profile at the office, etc, as many drivers will try to use the car often or every day.

Long term the most desirable cars are picked up by collectors who will use the car only very occasionally. They will have many faster cars at that point, but will be looking for the most distilled version of a particular driving experience. If you had every 993 ever made in your garage, which keys would you want to grab for a weekend blast? It probably won't be the practical, comfortable, do everything Carrera 4 or even Turbo. The 993 GT2 was far harder to live with back in the day, and on most days on the autobahn probably slower- far too stiff, noisy, RWD only, etc. But for a weekend blast it's just the ticket, and seeing that wing out the back just adds to the sense of drama.

great way of thinking about it, the "which keys would I grab" ...
Old 05-17-2017, 01:15 PM
Mr Fish
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting item in Junes Car magazine article comparing the 1.2 GT3 with an AMG GT R:

"Or if you fancy something a little lower-key than the GT3, look out for the X90 Touring Pack version. Only available in manual transmission form, it trades in the flash wingwork and the racy interior for the more subtle aero kit of the discontinued 911 R and a period leather-with-corduroy trim."

Lifted from PH.....
Old 05-17-2017, 01:25 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Fish
"Or if you fancy something a little lower-key than the GT3, look out for the X90 Touring Pack version. Only available in manual transmission form, it trades in the flash wingwork and the racy interior for the more subtle aero kit of the discontinued 911 R and a period leather-with-corduroy trim."
Had me until "leather-with-corduroy". um...
Old 05-17-2017, 05:36 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,986 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Question.

Why don't you own all cup cars and gt4 cs? Why have road cars?
If I could drive a cup car and/or GT4 CS on the street legally I would, but since it's against the law and I hassle homes I'm stuck with driving the street versions.

Originally Posted by ChoyV
Yes sir. As you wish but wait a minute, I am the one who are paying for it. Just to be clear and off the air, I do like the GT3 with wing but the back seat is 50-50.

I am sure that Porsche made a research and study about adding this Touring option. Maybe the research shows that more people will get this option and thereby increasing the GT3.2 sales. But it doesn't make any sense in adding it when in fact they are limiting the production numbers (or maybe not). The sales of 911 was down and only the Macan is selling more than last year. Maybe they will increase the production number for GT3.2 (I hope).
Believe me, nothing would make me happier if they increased the production of the GT3 but chances are they'll make about the same number or slightly more than they did for the .1GT3. Putting back seats in and removing the wing is taking away the spirit of what a GT3 should be.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:39 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

If I could drive a cup car and/or GT4 CS on the street legally I would, but since it's against the law and I hassle homes I'm stuck with driving the street versions. :e.

Right. So it sounds like you want a street car that's fits your needs. Just like many others do in this thread.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:13 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Can. Not. Wait. For. Touring. Package.

Could care less what anyone thinks about it or the "value" of it.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:44 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,293 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
i would say it differently - 911s are supposed to be sports cars. With the 991 I would call the non-GT cars Grand Tourers and the GT are closer to what a 911 used to be, but much softer than what a RS used to be.
Agree with this. For me, the 991 GT3 is what a 911 used to be (minus the rear seats). Regular 991s are grand touring cars, not sports cars anymore.
The 991 GT3 is a visceral, track-ready sports car that you can also drive to work, which is what a 911 carrera is supposed to be (but isn't any longer).

Also agree that the 991 RS, while a great car, is too soft and should be much more hardcore than it is currently.

Last edited by Drifting; 05-17-2017 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:44 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,986 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Right. So it sounds like you want a street car that's fits your needs. Just like many others do in this thread.
I wouldn't say that hustling real estate and GT cars go together, I'm kind of a nutter like that. I like NA GT cars with wings that I can track (I'd buy them if they had a backseat or not). Like I said, Porsche makes wingless cars with backseats already.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:41 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

For all you guys wanting a touring GT3...buy yourself a GTS and get a tune for it because GT3s are meant to have a wing and no back seats.
Good advice. Glad you thought of that for me. That turbo 3.0 has to be just as good as the new 4.0 N/A wonder motor, amiright?
Old 05-17-2017, 10:04 PM
Trk8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't say that hustling real estate and GT cars go together, I'm kind of a nutter like that. I like NA GT cars with wings that I can track (I'd buy them if they had a backseat or not). Like I said, Porsche makes wingless cars with backseats already.
Actually hustling real estate and GT cars do go together.
With word on the street, that my salespeople, friends, and relatives are getting into real estate with there new RE license, and having the words "hustling" "real estate" and "porsche" in the same sentence. Does the R/E market still have legs? ADM on cars=bubble economy is inflating.
https://rennlist.com/forums/graemlins/surrender.gif
Looks like dejavue. 06-08 all over again.
single family homes to -multifamily to -commercial.
I guess ill unload and reserve more ammo for the next downturn.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:24 PM
wolfmobil
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

There's probably 2 or 3 people here for whom the big wing will actually make a difference on the track. For the rest of us mortals a speed deploying spoiler will do just fine on the track and will draw less attention from cops and onlookers on the way to work everyday. So strange that people praise GT3 for being capable of being an everyday car and not see the value in the touring package.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:33 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

The qualities of a proper sports car are always open for debate. I doubt a Touring package GT3 will carry the GT3 badge any more than the 911R, which also leaves room for increased production if Porsche chooses to milk the 4.0L engine for as along as possible. Remember Porsche used leftover 2.7L RS engines in non RS 911s for the German market. Porsche clearly has its own definition of what's proper whether or not customers choose to buy in. The 88-89 Clubsport wasn't a big seller in its day despite its sports car bona fides
Old 05-18-2017, 12:19 AM
bobbyd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see the touring option differently if it'll ever exist. It merely represents Porsche's ongoing attempt to create ever more niche products in an effort to portray exclusivity while simultaneously building and selling more cars. So all of a sudden there might be multiple variants of each GT model where previously only one configure existed.

Brilliant marketing, until the next economic downturn that is - then no one will want any of them....

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option