Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 12:31 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

How did I get so far behind on this thread?

Hey Surge74, what's your take on putting rear seats in my GT4?

Old 08-29-2017, 09:21 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

AP has a history of having his quotable "quotes" form a life of their own and then he himself contradicting them. The "manual for engagement and PDk for lap times" makes sense, but it would also make sense to have a PDK in a touring model for the daily driver user.

I would increase probability of PDK being included.

Also why a new model 911T that isn't special, narrow body, turbo and so then similar to the GTS? Or is it special..thats the question. What could be a special (event, time, model) that can dress up a car that in essence is a GTS. Any porsche history buffs know of any anniversaries this year ?

GT3 Touring is not the 911T tough, bet my last dollar on it.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:05 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Until the information appears on the Porsche web site or on the stand at Frankfurt we are not going to know anything, certainly not from this unending series of suppositions and divinations.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:06 AM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldmxnut
AP has a history of having his quotable "quotes" form a life of their own and then he himself contradicting them. The "manual for engagement and PDk for lap times" makes sense, but it would also make sense to have a PDK in a touring model for the daily driver user.

I would increase probability of PDK being included.
Yeah I'd bet most PDK cars never set a lap time.

A choice of transmissions for the GT3 but not if you check the touring pack option doesn't make a lot of sense.

If touring pack is to make it a car that blends better, slightly more livable, a more daily GT3, then PDK falls right in line with that.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:53 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigy
Yeah I'd bet most PDK cars never set a lap time.

You mean other than every .1 GT3/RS lapping every track around the world, as well as every single car Porsche has used to set a Ring time in the past five years? Other than those PDK cars?
Old 08-29-2017, 12:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Manx
I thought the 'R' had a special floor design to provide the extra downforce required by not having the big wing.

So, presumably, the 'touring' would inherit a similar aero package - which is a bit more sophisticated than just removing the wing and fitting a new engine lid.
the .2 GT3 already inherited a rear diffuser from the R
Old 08-29-2017, 12:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
You mean other than every .1 GT3/RS lapping every track around the world, as well as every single car Porsche has used to set a Ring time in the past five years? Other than those PDK cars?
well its probably true that 'most' 911's are PDK cars, and 'most' users (not on RL) do not ever even contemplate track their cars ...
Old 08-29-2017, 12:19 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
well its probably true that 'most' 911's are PDK cars, and 'most' users (not on RL) do not ever even contemplate track their cars ...
This guy gets it.

And not "every" RS is tracked either. Funny that statement coming from someone with "the plural of anecdote is not data" in his signature.

I would even hazard a guess that a majority of pdk GT3s have not completed a timed lap.

Even as a performance-aid, PDK is a convenience option. Which would be well suited to a so-called touring package.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:04 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
We're not discussing 911's though, we're discussing GT3's and whether they should put a PDK in one (the T) or not. Obviously all of the tracked .1 GT3s are PDK and many of the tracked .2's are going to be PDK. The insinuation they were making that most of the Porsches out at the track are manual is ridiculous or that a manual owner is more likely to track their car than a PDK owner.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:15 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Craigy
And not "every" RS is tracked either. Funny that statement coming from someone with "the plural of anecdote is not data" in his signature.

I would even hazard a guess that a majority of pdk GT3s have not completed a timed lap.
That's why so many of the track rats on here prefer PDK in their track cars? Because it's better for driving with a coffee cup in their hands?
Old 08-29-2017, 01:37 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

How many of all those manual air-cooled "purist" 911s from 1965 to 1998 do any of you believe made it to a track??? The 911 was designed by Porsche to be a gentleman's sports car (i.e. GT) with a track proven pedigree. My father's 73 T was beige grey with steel wheels but double clutch and heel and toe was a matter of course for his generation. So was frugality. It was a big deal for him to shell out for a Porsche. When we test drove the car with me along (I was 16) he drove it so hard and fast I didn't know who he was. He never drove it that hard again. I asked him why, and he said are you crazy, I own it now and I pay for it.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:24 PM
Craigy
Instructor

We're not discussing 911's though, we're discussing GT3's and whether they should put a PDK in one (the T) or not. Obviously all of the tracked .1 GT3s are PDK and many of the tracked .2's are going to be PDK. The insinuation they were making that most of the Porsches out at the track are manual is ridiculous or that a manual owner is more likely to track their car than a PDK owner.
That's why so many of the track rats on here prefer PDK in their track cars? Because it's better for driving with a coffee cup in their hands?
I don't want to go further off topic, but I'll reply out of courtesy to say I believe you've dreamed up said insinuation, and appear to have some chip on your shoulder, either pro or against PDK, I'm not sure. I happen to like PDK.

Originally Posted by djcxxx
How many of all those manual air-cooled "purist" 911s from 1965 to 1998 do any of you believe made it to a track??? The 911 was designed by Porsche to be a gentleman's sports car (i.e. GT) with a track proven pedigree. My father's 73 T was beige grey with steel wheels but double clutch and heel and toe was a matter of course for his generation. So was frugality. It was a big deal for him to shell out for a Porsche. When we test drove the car with me along (I was 16) he drove it so hard and fast I didn't know who he was. He never drove it that hard again. I asked him why, and he said are you crazy, I own it now and I pay for it.
Right. The hardcore track rats flock to forums like this, but to most buyers, a 911 is a big spend by itself, particularly a Turbo or GT3. Aside from the excess track cost of tires and brakes and maintenance, regular guys don't want to beat up their expensive car.

A buyer ticking the PDK box probably ticks that box for a myriad of reasons ahead of a few more tenths of laptime. I know laptime would be low on my list of reasons for choosing PDK.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:03 PM
Superfans
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Any more leaks on the Touring Package before the official launch in Frankfurt?
Old 08-29-2017, 04:18 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,012 Likes on 2,836 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
How many of all those manual air-cooled "purist" 911s from 1965 to 1998 do any of you believe made it to a track???
More than any other production street legal car, most likely. Still plenty of them at any given track day...
Old 08-29-2017, 04:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
More than any other production street legal car, most likely. Still plenty of them at any given track day...
+1 my 993 C2S and 964 RSA both did!

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option