Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 03:44 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
If you're referring to my post, I wasn't saying the GT3 Touring is nonsense. I think it's awesome and would have loved one. My point was that the way the "rumored unlimited 911R" was being spun by the media in past week is a bunch of nonsense, both the article and the supposed Porsche leaks. The writer is mixing up various bits of rumor and Porsche is being disingenuous if they are putting out rumors of an unlimited purist 911R type of car. The 911T, if rumors are true, will be a turbo charged base 911 (nothing like a 911R) and the GT3 Touring is going to be anything but unlimited. Unless we all get surprised, this is just more mental masturbation by all of us and Porsche that will lead us back to the same dreary place - i.e., not enough of the true 911's some of us want will be available to us.

And as regards the 911R, I saw a couple again this weekend and, while I'm sure the .3 GT3T will be great, the 911R is a truly special car. I'd slice off my left nut with a dull pocket knife for one.
I have several knives to choose from. Will need someone else to supply the car

Old 09-07-2017, 03:58 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Nonsense = motorsport derived car, specifically used to hard park @ Cars & Coffee...
Sorry, I don't do Cars & Coffee, but carry on with taking everything literal. Not that there's anything WRONG with that.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:00 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
If you're referring to my post, I wasn't saying the GT3 Touring is nonsense. I think it's awesome and would have loved one. My point was that the way the "rumored unlimited 911R" was being spun by the media in past week is a bunch of nonsense, both the article and the supposed Porsche leaks. The writer is mixing up various bits of rumor and Porsche is being disingenuous if they are putting out rumors of an unlimited purist 911R type of car. The 911T, if rumors are true, will be a turbo charged base 911 (nothing like a 911R) and the GT3 Touring is going to be anything but unlimited. Unless we all get surprised, this is just more mental masturbation by all of us and Porsche that will lead us back to the same dreary place - i.e., not enough of the true 911's some of us want will be available to us.

And as regards the 911R, I saw a couple again this weekend and, while I'm sure the .3 GT3T will be great, the 911R is a truly special car. I'd slice off my left nut with a dull pocket knife for one.
No, it was in response to our RL Italian friend, who gave a good go at posting in English. I could almost hear him say it in a thick Italian accent: ("....is nonsense.")
Old 09-07-2017, 04:45 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Hurry up and get all the speculation over with.
Facts will be out soon and render all this mental masturbation moot.
6 days, 11 hours, 14 minutes, 36 seconds until IAA opens its doors...

Of course, unless we get an earlier leak.

Edit: Press day on Sept 12, Porsche presentation scheduled for 11:30am. So perhaps even sooner?
Old 09-07-2017, 04:53 PM
Trk8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prior to the R being offered, I was very interested in the 911R at msrp for my weekend street car. At first, I was against the concept of a touring package for diluting the gt3 image. Now I am on the fence. We will see more GT cars driven at the track or on the street if they become more available. Honestly how many R owners are tracking their cars every weekend or at least once a month. I've been out there with my gt4 at private events to open track days with jalopies that cost $1000 or less, and I haven't seen an R on track. I'm in Orange county and I haven't seen a wild R on PCH. The R is not a Carerra GT. Porsche priced the R correctly its the craziness of the market frenzy that priced it. It use to be a car gets "collectable status" when it has proven itself as a classic by "having the years, the rarity due to lost or use". " Pro forma always ends up badly"
Old 09-07-2017, 07:33 PM
ricsan
Advanced

If the 911R was not a limited edition car, would it have been the same success?
Is this probably a market strategy?
Mom Porsche has accustomed her client to always have a little hunger for her cars.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:53 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ricsan
If the 911R was not a limited edition car, would it have been the same success?
Is this probably a market strategy?
Mom Porsche has accustomed her client to always have a little hunger for her cars.
How does one qualify it as a success? They sold all they could make? They got good reviews?

If 911R handn't been limited to 991 copies, I can assure you they would have sold at least double as many for the same price as they sold the first 991 of them (at MSRP), which is all Porsche sold them for anyway. I certainly would have bought one for MSRP, and I'm sure many many more would have too, and not just for their potentially collectability. What the aftermarket did to resale values doesn't affect Porsche's bottom line.

If we we are talking honestly though about the merits of the car itself outside of its rarity / collectibility (that is, assuming the 911 R and the 991.2 GT3 with Touring Package we are expecting we're each produced in similar numbers and would have similar collectibility in future and similar resale value in future), then I would have to say the 991.2 GT3 with Touring Package is the more compelling package because it will have the better motor and slightly better creature comforts (maybe a little more sound deadening?, Bose ) combined with essentially all the same other elements that make the 911R so great and desirable (manual transmission, wingless more under the radar styling, etc.), except for possibly the exotic materials of the roof and hood, which is more about bragging rights than anything else.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:59 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

So now we have rumours of both 911T AND GT3 Touring! Which is coming at Frankfurt?
Old 09-07-2017, 08:15 PM
ricsan
Advanced

Originally Posted by WernerE
No, it was in response to our RL Italian friend, who gave a good go at posting in English. I could almost hear him say it in a thick Italian accent: ("....is nonsense.")
I'm not a C&C type.
My cars are not a closet queens.
If you drive in the summer season in the Alpin passes, you can meet me easily.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:29 PM
ricsan
Advanced

Originally Posted by WernerE
I'm not a C&C type.
My cars are not a closet queens.
If you drive in the summer season in the Alpin passes, you can meet me easily.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:35 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 244 Posts

So the real question...

Do you get LWBs or sofas for a "touring" car???
Old 09-07-2017, 10:48 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
So the real question...

Do you get LWBs or sofas for a "touring" car???
if there is a backseat option (unlikely from leaks above) then yes I'd get those and of course it could only be done in combination with sofas.

Otherwise, I already decided I want LWBs this time around for their looks and the fact that I've tried them in a friend's GT3 and found them more comfortable and easier to enter/exit that I once thought.

Of course Porsche might make the decision for us and make the Touring Package only compatible with sofas, regardless of no backseat. And if they do that, well then I'll be disappointed and torn about whether or not to get Touring Pack at all.

Making the touring pack available with sofas only might be a tactic to protect the 911 R, since virtually all of those were spec's with LWBs...
Old 09-07-2017, 10:57 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 244 Posts

I have lwbs and to me they are more comfortable than you think but still tough for a long drive to, on and from the track. I'll probably get sofas.

What I can't figure out for the life of me is the speculation on the GT3 allocation thread is the last round of allocations are for all of 2018 MY cars. Why would you create an additional option / configuration for a car that is already sold out?
Old 09-07-2017, 11:24 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Trk8
Prior to the R being offered, I was very interested in the 911R at msrp for my weekend street car. At first, I was against the concept of a touring package for diluting the gt3 image. Now I am on the fence. We will see more GT cars driven at the track or on the street if they become more available. Honestly how many R owners are tracking their cars every weekend or at least once a month. I've been out there with my gt4 at private events to open track days with jalopies that cost $1000 or less, and I haven't seen an R on track. I'm in Orange county and I haven't seen a wild R on PCH. The R is not a Carerra GT. Porsche priced the R correctly its the craziness of the market frenzy that priced it. It use to be a car gets "collectable status" when it has proven itself as a classic by "having the years, the rarity due to lost or use". " Pro forma always ends up badly"
They made the R to actually be fun on the road...not the track...that was the point haha. Granted way too few owners drive them regardless of that you're right.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:55 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
They made the R to actually be fun on the road...not the track...that was the point haha. Granted way too few owners drive them regardless of that you're right.
Absolutely correct - not a track car. I am driving mine, and glad to hear you are enjoying yours. This is an extremely fun hot rod, and I absolutely love it. Congrats and enjoy.
Jeff

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option