Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 02:09 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
This is me to a T. IF I can get a touring, I'll sell the GT3 and 3RS. I have a clubsport, and I want a car I can drive daily, take to the country club/petroleum club and not get weird looks and still occasionally take to the track on a whim.
Historically, the T is an 'entry level' car and the lowest power model in the range. I wouldn't be surprised in the new T is an even smaller displacement engine than the current Carrera (this is just me speculating).

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Not to burst anyones bubble...but I'm not seeing the R values changing that much for this (maybe a couple that go for under what was asking in the stratosphere, but not what they are transacting for). Aside from apparently some special sauce difference in the performance numbers (that honestly is a surprise) which has me think porsche limited this new car, it just looks like a decent attempt at making a cool r-esq car. However, I'm sure it will drive damn well with that new motor...

...just don't expect these things to not sell for 50k over as soon as dealers get them...or production numbers to be very high either for that matter. And hell, if this IS the last NA GT3 stick etc etc...50 may be well under what these go for.
I don't see this car affecting R prices at all. That was a special, limited car, and had some special bits. You can argue its a parts-bin car, but that hasn't affected the Sports Classic and Speedster which could be considered the same. If anything, this car is just to appease all us mortals who didn't get an R allocation but wanted a NA high-horsepower, high revving car in a manual with a slightly more understated look.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:12 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by JC68
The interior pic shows no leather dash, yet the anthracite aluminum trim is on the door. Is this only on the touring model or can the winged GT3s now get the door trim without going full leather?
good catch. Will have to see when official press release comes out, and even then, everything might not be clear until it goes live on the online configurator, which is where selecting it will cause other options to be incompatible or required in combination with it.

I think it's weird that the official pics of this Touring Package are of an example without leather interior and with LWBs. For one, you'd think a vast majority of buyers who would want a more road-going Touring Pack would also want the extra luxury of full leather, and you'd also think maybe more who buy Touring Pack than not would opt for sofas.

But also, it leaves unclear at least for now whether Touring Pack has a back seat option, can be had with full leather at all, and if it can be had with full leather, whether choosing it means all leather (as opposed to leather and alcantara as in regular GT3), and whether choosing it also includes all the usual deviated stitching and in what color(s).

I'm hoping leather is available, that it has all the same deviated stitching choices as usual, and that in the Touring Pack, choosing leather means all leather (no Alcantara except for headliner). Alas, if Touring Package means no full leather option available (maybe on premise that they didn't want to go all leather and that the Alcantara it would come with would clash with the corduroy seats?), I'd be disappointed, but at least I'd be saving a few thousand $$$$ for not being able to choose leather or custom deviated stitching package that I was going to otherwise choose.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:15 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by shizzle
Historically, the T is an 'entry level' car and the lowest power model in the range. I wouldn't be surprised in the new T is an even smaller displacement engine than the current Carrera (this is just me speculating).

I don't see this car affecting R prices at all. That was a special, limited car, and had some special bits. You can argue its a parts-bin car, but that hasn't affected the Sports Classic and Speedster which could be considered the same. If anything, this car is just to appease all us mortals who didn't get an R allocation but wanted a NA high-horsepower, high revving car in a manual with a slightly more understated look.
you may be right about the unrelated forthcoming 911T. However I wonder if you misinterpreted the other poster's "This is me to a T" comment? He meant the GT3 Touring Package is to his taste, he wasn't commenting about the unrelated 911T.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:18 PM
Trk8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A story of "humble pie": Always loved the GT lineup. At first was very against a wingless GT car. Felt it would water down the image. Recently was schooled by some youngsters on a road in a passenger car while I drove my GT4 with full track prep mods. I thought I was gonna get the usual "Thumbs up". They yelled out from afar at the top of their lungs"POSER".
I always drove my cars very hard whether on the track or on the streets. And always modded my cars to extract the most performance. Now that Im getting in age closer to the 50s, I must admit it looks a little ridiculous driving to dinner in some of my cars.
A shout out to members here that I might of spoke strongly against having a wingless GT car. Finally I must admit for a ultimate Daily driver, purist car, canyon cross country Naturally Aspirated car, THIS IS IT. Ultimate production Car to put tens of thousands of miles per year. What a "R" should of been instead of an investment to some of the owners.
I had a P.O.C member once told me, that the time and speeds that I'm doing, I should looked into a " Race Car" with full Cage setup. Safety is number 1. Even though GT Cars are very capable there are major compromise whether on the street or on the track. I guess I don't need the Aeros on the Street and if I need a street car with Aeros for the track I will get a dedicated Race car. Cup Series here I come.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:22 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
you may be right about the unrelated forthcoming 911T. However I wonder if you misinterpreted the other poster's "This is me to a T" comment? He meant the GT3 Touring Package is to his taste, he wasn't commenting about the unrelated 911T.
I figured that was what he meant. But To me the T means something entirely different, and shouldn't be used to label this car. I didn't think he was confusing it with the new model coming out.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:25 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder how many customers Porsche has lost because the GT3/RS doesn't have rear seats? My guess is not many. And if they do lose a customer, there are 10 more waiting in line.

And I wonder how many extra cars Porsche has sold because the GT3/RS doesn't have rear seats? People who want a four-seater to go with their GT car, who otherwise would have stuck with just one four-seater GT. Probably more than we think.

Personally, as with many other here, I wish they offered a 4-seat GT3, but I see why Porsche doesn't do it.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:30 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Hopefully there's an option to get rid of the chrome headlights and trim around the windows.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:31 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So as I understand, it's not that there's suddenly going to be extra allocations for the the Touring Package, correct? It's just that for those who have a GT3 allocation, they can check off the box for this option?
Old 09-11-2017, 02:33 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by shaytun
So as I understand, it's not that there's suddenly going to be extra allocations for the the Touring Package, correct? It's just that for those who have a GT3 allocation, they can check off the box for this option?
correct.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:35 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
The 911R has less drag, don't see anything that would cause this to have more drag than R...

This car has a better engine than R (if not detuned) with higher redline and less internal friction (even if same 500hp rating). Why would it be slower than R with similar wing and Manual GT3 with large fixed wing?
The lack of the ram-air intake will cut engine power at Vmax noticeably, so I wouldn't doubt that it's slower at the top than a winged GT3. The small gurney is likely there to improve high speed stability, and will probably increase drag fractionally vs the R. These changes would not account for the quoted speed difference, however.

Let's hope it's due to shorter gearing. There is also to chance that Porsche is playing games with the headline numbers in order to maintain the "price/ performance" pecking order artificially.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:37 PM
Trk8
Advanced

Originally Posted by johnny2five
I wonder how many customers Porsche has lost because the GT3/RS doesn't have rear seats? My guess is not many. And if they do lose a customer, there are 10 more waiting in line.

And I wonder how many extra cars Porsche has sold because the GT3/RS doesn't have rear seats? People who want a four-seater to go with their GT car, who otherwise would have stuck with just one four-seater GT. Probably more than we think.

Personally, as with many other here, I wish they offered a 4-seat GT3, but I see why Porsche doesn't do it.
IT use to be where owners in the past that drove cars "hard" would rip out and mod their cars. Recently manufacturers are getting into the game and selling the kool aid and creating exclusiveness. Now everyone wants to be oh look at me aka all the people that has m3 and m4. It use to be a badge that was earned as a motorsport enthusiast. I remember in the 80s the hardcore models would actually sit around or was special ordered. NO social media you had to be in the know.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:55 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Given what people do to restore and modify vehicles that people are not willing to add rear seats to their car is baffling to me. It would not both me in the least to weld in some mounts for the belts/seats and get a set of seats and belts and trim out of a wrecked Carrera.

I on the other hand, remove the back seats from my vehicles. Lol.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:58 PM
Greggt3
Track Day

Old 09-11-2017, 03:00 PM
Greggt3
Track Day

Price is 152416 EUR in Germany (incl. 19% VAT). GT3 with wing costs the same.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:15 PM
auchenberg
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/prod...ler-14133.html

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option