Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 07:22 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

What countries does Porsche have their own factory dealerships in?

Something tells me there's no love lost between Porsche and franchise dealers. They would love to run their own dealerships in the US.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:23 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Needed to be tarred and feathered. Too bad he didn't get banned
A little waterboarding wouldn't hurt either.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:32 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

Something tells me there's no love lost between Porsche and franchise dealers. They would love to run their own dealerships in the US.
Canada has just recently got one PAG owned dealership - http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...543464642.html
Old 04-04-2017, 07:38 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

They would love to. We would all love for them to. The automotive mafia called NADA is preventing it. Root for Tesla even if you hate their cars, because if they beat NADA, it will be a death sentence for many dealerships and the 'old' way of doing things. Name one person that enjoys battling it out at a dealership every time you buy a car. The only exceptions are the few individuals who get a kick out of wasting a TON of everyone's time to squeeze out a deal. It would force dealers to treat everyone fairly if they wanted to survive.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:39 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by STG
A little waterboarding wouldn't hurt either.
I'll pay over MSRP for a chance to participate.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:45 PM
STG
Race Director

They would love to. We would all love for them to. The automotive mafia called NADA is preventing it. Root for Tesla even if you hate their cars, because if they beat NADA, it will be a death sentence for many dealerships and the 'old' way of doing things. Name one person that enjoys battling it out at a dealership every time you buy a car. The only exceptions are the few individuals who get a kick out of wasting a TON of everyone's time to squeeze out a deal. It would force dealers to treat everyone fairly if they wanted to survive.
Imagine if the MSRP of current Porsche models was like 5% less and NO negotiating with factory owned stores. They'd still be making more on the cars without the middle man. I'm sure you'd see more GT models available too.

Buying a car should be no different than an iPhone from Apple. If they wanted to move slow moving inventory they could put some models "on sale" or whatever. Not dealing with the normal BS for 98% of consumers would be welcomed.

Don't like Tesla, but good for them for breaking the mold.

I think the auto industry is due for a major "remodel".
Old 04-04-2017, 07:53 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by STG
Imagine if the MSRP of current Porsche models was like 5% less and NO negotiating with factory owned stores. They'd still be making more on the cars without the middle man. I'm sure you'd see more GT models available too.

Buying a car should be no different than an iPhone from Apple. If they wanted to move slow moving inventory they could put some models "on sale" or whatever. Not dealing with the normal BS for 98% of consumers would be welcomed.

:highfive:
Old 04-04-2017, 08:04 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

You're dreaming. Most manufacturers like the current system. They sell the greatest number of cars with less resources and expenses.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:05 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nick
You're dreaming. Most manufacturers like the current system. They sell the greatest number of cars with less resources and expenses.
I wouldn't be sure about that. I'm pretty sure manufacturers DON'T like the current system
Old 04-04-2017, 08:07 PM
STG
Race Director

Companies like Porsche would DOUBLE their profits in the US if they owned all their dealerships. They'd cut out the middle man, and get all parts and service sales.

Why do they do it in Europe then??

What makes you think they'd sell LESS cars?
Old 04-04-2017, 08:09 PM
STG
Race Director

I wouldn't be sure about that. I'm pretty sure manufacturers DON'T like the current system

+ 1

They'd rather control the whole pyramid.

Manufacturing to the end user.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:26 PM
SpeeddemonC2
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am sickened by what I am hearing and seeing... Dealers asking for premiums over msrp on new untitled Porsches is horrible for the brand and ultimately will come back to hurt them in an economic downturn. Ferrari the king of premium pricing will not allow a dealer to sell an untitled new car for over MSRP. That is how it should be. Used cars may have a different value (up or down based on supply-demand) but new cars should be sold at MSRP especially to those customers that have supported those very dealerships with service revenue! My 2c worth!
Old 04-04-2017, 10:16 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

I am having trouble understanding why everyone is so upset. If you get the car at the price you want, buy it, if not, don't buy it.

There are many options that are available. I love Porsches, my first car was a Porsche, but there is a limit for everything(imho).

The other thing is that I am seeing a lot of first time buyers of GT cars and Porsches complaining. If anyone deserves a car at MSRP, it's those that have been buying them all along.

The car world is cyclical, everyone should take a deep breath. Many manufacturers are testing the limits of consumers right now.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:17 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Joe, obviously manufacturers would like to tilt the distribution system more in their favor. But there are significant drawbacks in the total confiscation of how cars are sold.

One has to ask why do we have a dealership system? How did it come to fruition?
Old 04-04-2017, 10:26 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

One has to ask why do we have a dealership system? How did it come to fruition?
Regulatory capture

"Regulatory capture is a form of government failure that occurs when a regulatory agency, created to act in the public interest, instead advances the commercial or political concerns of special interest groups that dominate the industry or sector it is charged with regulating.[1] When regulatory capture occurs, the interests of firms or political groups are prioritised over the interests of the public, leading to a net loss to society as a whole."

State capture

"State capture is a type of systemic political corruption in which private interests significantly influence a state's decision-making processes to their own advantage through unobvious channels, that may not be illegal.[1] The influence may be through a range of state institutions, including the legislature, executive, ministries and the judiciary. It is thus similar to regulatory capture but differs through the wider variety of bodies through which it may be exercised and because, unlike regulatory capture, the influence is never overt."

Quick Reply: GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread