Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 05:52 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm no fan of paying dealer ADM. However IMHO paying MSRP on a 2 or 3 year old GT3 is worse than paying an ADM for a NEW GT3. These GT cars are wants not needs, pay to play, it's your $.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:44 PM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 158 Posts

Lease rates are set the month you purchase and take delivery of the car, not months in advance of the build. The factor rate, residuals, ETC will ALL change between now and the month the first cars arrive.

I don't understand these posts quoting residual rates, factor rates, etc., months before the cars are here. They numbers probably will be close....but there are no guarantees...especially in leases, where the factor rate, many times, is marked up.

Originally Posted by Nick
The lease rates especially from PFS are insane(over 5%). Wouldn't one be better off financing the car at 2% paying the sales tax if they plan to keep the car for 8-24 months? The .2GT3 should not take a depreciation hit during that period and the cost of use would be the sales tax and finance interest less depreciation if any. One should do this math before deciding which is the best option.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:48 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
You know, it's one thing for dealers to ask a premium over MSRP for the car but then we get a-holes like this flipper...

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-position.html

And a site sponsor no less. Hey douche, let someone buy the car who actually wants to drive it and not flip it.
Add now the For Sale thread is gone...
Old 05-23-2017, 08:10 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,985 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by RUF RS
Lease rates are set the month you purchase and take delivery of the car, not months in advance of the build. The factor rate, residuals, ETC will ALL change between now and the month the first cars arrive.

I don't understand these posts quoting residual rates, factor rates, etc., months before the cars are here. They numbers probably will be close....but there are no guarantees...especially in leases, where the factor rate, many times, is marked up.
Is PFS the only option when it comes to leasing a brand new Porsche?
Old 05-23-2017, 08:11 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,985 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Add now the For Sale thread is gone...
That was quicker than I thought...
Old 05-23-2017, 09:07 PM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

PROBABLY not, but I'm guessing you would get a lot of resistance from the dealer. US Bank does a lot of car leases, at very competitive rates.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:13 PM
chaosoul
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RUF RS

This is completely incorrect. You CAN lock in the residual, money factor, and incentives of the lease on the month you ordered the car, so anywhere from 3 months out to even 9-10 months out. Many GT3 allocations given out for February 2018 delivery already have lease rates locked in last month.

If a Porsche dealer tells you guys you can't lock in the rate and the rate and program is whatever it is when your car comes, they are either lying to you because they don't want to submit the application for such process or they don't know how to do it. Or even better, some dealers may make extra bucks by telling you they're going with the new rates but back dating the old rate when you ordered the car.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:37 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chaosoul
This is completely incorrect. You CAN lock in the residual, money factor, and incentives of the lease on the month you ordered the car, so anywhere from 3 months out to even 9-10 months out. Many GT3 allocations given out for February 2018 delivery already have lease rates locked in last month.

If a Porsche dealer tells you guys you can't lock in the rate and the rate and program is whatever it is when your car comes, they are either lying to you because they don't want to submit the application for such process or they don't know how to do it. Or even better, some dealers may make extra bucks by telling you they're going with the new rates but back dating the old rate when you ordered the car.
I just learnt something new. I always thought PFS controlled the residual and these items were only set on delivery - good to know.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:50 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

What is a good lease rate and residual for a .2gt3?
Old 05-24-2017, 01:03 AM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chaosoul

Wow...interesting. Thank you for clarifying.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:17 AM
chaosoul
Pro

PFS is pretty much the only choice for the most part. US Bank does Porsche leasing but 98% of the time the rates are much worse than PFS. It used to be competitive but recently it has not been.

What is a good lease rate and residual for a .2gt3?

Residual is fixed 56% for 36 months 5k miles. The dealer cannot lie about it and cannot modify and mark up the residuals. Money factor is what they can mark up.

Money factor is 0.0022 currently for Tier 1 credit at buy rate. FYI, you can talk to your dealer about what money factor they will willing to lease the car for you at. Marking up interest rate is the same as marking up MSRP, they can tell you one thing and charge you different thing when your car gets here.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:01 AM
chaosoul
Pro

Thanks for the excellent summary of calculating lease payments and benefits. If one lives in a high sales tax state like California and plans to keep the car for 18-24 months, your calculations seem to suggest the best option will always be to lease. However, if one plans to keep the car for the period of the finance agreement(5yrs) then financing would be the better option.

BTW, isn't there a difference between what the dealer lease rate is and what they offer even their best clients also known as buy rate?

It varies from car to car and from program to program. It'll take exact car price, exact finance/lease rates for that particular car, where you live etc, to determine exactly how long it is beneficial.

In some cases it may be beneficial to even lease 4 years etc. Of course when you go to really long term like 6-7 years, 99% chance purchase is better. In some cases its not even smart to lease even if you're keeping 1 year. It varies.

Buy rate is basically what the PFS program says it is, and that's the lowest interest rate the dealer could offer, and dealer won't make any back end money by selling you the lease at buy rate (except for some quarterly bonuses etc). Its the non-marked up rate.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:14 PM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Make sure you REALLY know if the numbers 'add up'...

Use this: http://www.leaseguide.com/calc/
Old 05-26-2017, 12:42 AM
0explorer
Track Day

Can someone please clarify one aspect about leasing (relating to sales tax payed) being discussed here?

Assuming the following hypothetical:

Leasing a GT3, in California with the intent to buy the next greatest Porsche in the following 2-3 years.

At the end of the lease (let’s say 3 years) — A GT3 is going to be worth north of the ~ 56% residual. In order for me to sell the car back to the dealer at market value, don’t I have to buy out the car from Porsche Finance (or whatever bank) before I can sell it back to the dealer at market value ??……When I buy it out from the bank, am I not paying sales tax on the remaining value — thus negating the sales tax benefit of leasing (for short-term ownership) being discussed in this thread?

thanks
Old 05-26-2017, 12:56 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 0explorer
Can someone please clarify one aspect about leasing (relating to sales tax payed) being discussed here?

Assuming the following hypothetical:

Leasing a GT3, in California with the intent to buy the next greatest Porsche in the following 2-3 years.

At the end of the lease (let’s say 3 years) — A GT3 is going to be worth north of the ~ 56% residual. In order for me to sell the car back to the dealer at market value, don’t I have to buy out the car from Porsche Finance (or whatever bank) before I can sell it back to the dealer at market value ??……When I buy it out from the bank, am I not paying sales tax on the remaining value — thus negating the sales tax benefit of leasing (for short-term ownership) being discussed in this thread?

thanks
If you transfer the title within 10 days, you do not have to pay sales tax on the buyout

Quick Reply: GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread