488 - nope
Pista - yep
600LT - yep
765LT - yep
GT3 manual - nope
GT3RS - yep
458 - only the speciale
718 (982) Spyder - yep

Definitely feels like I'm moving away from the Porsche orbit - except for the RS and Spyder. I'm also interested in what EVs Mclaren may come up with given they produce the motors for the E series.

Last edited by groundhog; 05-18-2020 at 04:06 AM.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:06 AM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Received 662 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
I think its interesting psychology - and you're correct, cost cuts to the chase very quickly - its like the endless debates you can have e.g. you could have bough a gazillion miatas for the price of a 720S or does a car that cost 100% more than this car deliver an equivalent performance engagement factor increase. It simply doesn't recognise the fact someone may want something that has a unique design, look or colour........and they are happy and able to pay for that luxury.

Recently, I made the mistake of taking my 720S to a charity event held at a University (it was a cars and coffee for breast cancer) - so I thought I'd take a nice car down and pay an entry fee (I donated 1k). Big mistake, the key word being University. Needless to say I copped a fair amount of guff from various students largely in good spirit (but some definitely not), but the piece de resistance came from an academic who lectured me on how my car was "drive by wire" and that if I tried his 996 Carrera manual I would understand what a drivers car was like and how Porsche get a connection with the road (there is a whole world of Porsche owners that are like this). I just held my tongue and politely nodded - I felt it would be equally obnoxious of me to say one of my other cars is an RS lol. Some people are strange and often just envious. I have noticed the world is split into those that give you the thumbs up or the finger as you drive past.

As a general rule, I suspect those that say the 720S isn't engaging probably haven't driven one or perhaps have only done a short test drive. I think Mclaren are on a good roll and have developed some great cars in the last few years. I can easily see why someone who owned a RS would go with a LT and vice versa. Just different ways of skinning the same cat.

I would say the 765lt is a step up over anything Porsche is making currently - its certainly something I would be interested in - it will build on the lessons learned from the 675lt and 600lt (and Senna) - so its going to very good.

The other question that should be raised is where is Porsche going - Taycan turbo S.....great car sure, another GT3 with mild upgrades, another GT3 RS with mild upgrades - where is the wow factor? Thats really something that Ferrari and Mclaren deliver......Porsche not so much.
Porsche by far is the innovator of sports car companies. They were the first and saved the company by offering an SUV. Not to mention their foray into EV with the Taycan has put them miles ahead of other sports car manufacturers. Lamborghini has had strong sales with the Urus. This is a result of being owned by Volkswagen AG which is indirectly majority owned by Austrian Porsche and Piech. They (Porsche) have a much better plan overall then Ferrari and McLaren especially given the current situation. I'd love to have a 765 LT and I'm sure it will be an awesome car. Question is the future of the company.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:02 AM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 279 Posts

I was trying to get on the list for a 765LT right before all this covid stuff happened. Once that happened I said no way. Mac already didn't have the greatest resale, and I was willing to eat it in normal times, but with covid I think they are really going to take a beating. That's why I ended up getting the 600LT instead. The one I bought was basically fully loaded with every CF option checked. MSRP was in the mid $300k range and I ended up paying well over $100k less than that.

No doubt the 765LT is going to be an amazing car, but I will just wait for a used one that has taken a huge depreciation hit.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:05 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,032 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalPink
Porsche by far is the innovator of sports car companies. They were the first and saved the company by offering an SUV. Not to mention their foray into EV with the Taycan has put them miles ahead of other sports car manufacturers. Lamborghini has had strong sales with the Urus. This is a result of being owned by Volkswagen AG which is indirectly majority owned by Austrian Porsche and Piech. They (Porsche) have a much better plan overall then Ferrari and McLaren especially given the current situation. I'd love to have a 765 LT and I'm sure it will be an awesome car. Question is the future of the company.
Not so sure that’s the case - as just one example Mclaren make the motors for the E racing series and as a second example are the designated provider of ECUs for NASCAR and F1 - I could add a lot more examples.

There is not a lot that is innovative about the GT3 RS or GT2 RS. They are well engineered but not innovative or even that interesting from a design or engineering POV / they are simply effective executions of old technology.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:12 AM
FLGT
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by AllAboutThatP
I was trying to get on the list for a 765LT right before all this covid stuff happened. Once that happened I said no way. Mac already didn't have the greatest resale, and I was willing to eat it in normal times, but with covid I think they are really going to take a beating. That's why I ended up getting the 600LT instead. The one I bought was basically fully loaded with every CF option checked. MSRP was in the mid $300k range and I ended up paying well over $100k less than that.

No doubt the 765LT is going to be an amazing car, but I will just wait for a used one that has taken a huge depreciation hit.
My thoughts too. Fabulous cars, however 2 yr old Mclarens often trade at 30-50% off MSRP
Old 05-18-2020, 11:35 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalPink
Think Ferrari will be fine with a market cap of 40B, and not even 10% of the size of VW with a 69B cap. F cars carry high margins, and enough customers to sell cars to even in a recession due to low volume. Porsche model has done well 60 year design, and they just keep perfecting it .....992 is the cross road for them because that flat 6 is max’d out and buyers wants more power when you cross over to 200k. Porsche is going from a nice housewife that’s great, but trying to become a high priced call girl that’s expensive. Does Porsche have another 918 or CGT in them, or will they just make 30 versions of a 911? I will always have a 911 GT car in the garage, but I will always have a high priced call girl in the garage because Porsche sells nothing in that category exotic in nature.

Last edited by Maverick787; 05-18-2020 at 12:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mjj (05-18-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 12:04 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Think Ferrari will be fine with a market cap of 40B, and not even 10% of the size of VW with a 69B. F cars carry high margins, and enough customers to sell cars to even in a recession due to low volume. Porsche model has done well 60 year design, and they just keep perfecting it .....992 is the cross road for them because that flat 6 is max’d out and buyers wants more power when you cross over to 200k. Porsche is going from a nice housewife that’s great, but trying to because I high priced call girl that’s expensive. Does Porsche have another 918 or CGT in them, or will they just make 30 versions of a 911? I will always have a 911 GT car in the garage, but I will always have a high priced call girl in the garage because Porsche sells nothing in that category exotic in nature.
Interesting and I agree with this summary.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:53 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
People usually side on price as the main reason as to why they have what they have...It's a pretty short conversation in real life when people are discussing why they have a certain car or why they don't have a certain car.

Some are stuck in the older cars and never going to go into the newer cars (not sure why they even make so many negative comments about cars that they have no interest in). Manufacturers spend millions on marketing, research and development. They know what their customers want when new cars come out... and none of them are getting slower. The uproar of customers/buyers if the newer cars weren't faster/engaging would be deafening.

720s/Pista are fantastic, fantastic cars.
I don't think I agree. Look at people plowing $$$ into restomods, Singer, BaT emergence, NA 458s coming close to price parity with the newer turbo 488 (458 has a cult following), people choosing to buy 991.1 over 991.2 in *some* instances, etc etc. Sure, is price a reason I don't have an F12 TDF yes absolutely. But I don't think that price is the main reason why we have what we have, why we drive what we drive, because that defeats the purpose of being on Rennlist/a car enthusiast and we'd all drive a Prius or Tesla. We pick the car we own for a multitude of other reasons, getting the juices flowing, the look, something intangible, a feeling, the sound, the uniqueness, heritage, and so on

Being forced to comply with different laws/regulations worldwide is such a huge factor that I don't think the enthusiasts or automakers necessarily like (like the industry move to go turbo, GPF, etc)

Sure newer stuff is faster undoubtedly, but that does not make it necessarily more engaging/better to me, YMMV
The following 2 users liked this post by sampelligrino:
9914s (05-18-2020), mjj (05-18-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 01:05 PM
Hex
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 55 Posts

^ Right on the money Sam.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:47 PM
G.Irish
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
We pick the car we own for a multitude of other reasons, getting the juices flowing, the look, something intangible, a feeling, the sound, the uniqueness, heritage, and so on
This. If it were just about the absolute fastest car for the money, everyone with a budget under $200k would buy a Z06 and call it a day. Under $400k would go GT2 or 720S, beyond that, a hypercar.

Truth is that buyers in this segment choose based on styling, straight line speed, track performance, driving experience, comfort, brand cachet, reliability, and price. A Ferrari might value styling, street-driving experience, and brand cachet most, whereas a GT car buyer values street/track driving experience and trackday durability most.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:00 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I don't think I agree. Look at people plowing $$$ into restomods, Singer, BaT emergence, NA 458s coming close to price parity with the newer turbo 488 (458 has a cult following), people choosing to buy 991.1 over 991.2 in *some* instances, etc etc. Sure, is price a reason I don't have an F12 TDF yes absolutely. But I don't think that price is the main reason why we have what we have, why we drive what we drive, because that defeats the purpose of being on Rennlist/a car enthusiast and we'd all drive a Prius or Tesla. We pick the car we own for a multitude of other reasons, getting the juices flowing, the look, something intangible, a feeling, the sound, the uniqueness, heritage, and so on

Being forced to comply with different laws/regulations worldwide is such a huge factor that I don't think the enthusiasts or automakers necessarily like (like the industry move to go turbo, GPF, etc)

Sure newer stuff is faster undoubtedly, but that does not make it necessarily more engaging/better to me, YMMV
Yeah, I get it.

However, car forums are over represented by people with older models, the more cost effective ones, the ones who want to live in past models. Less participation on car forums as the price tags of the cars go up and the owner of the newer models. They are under represented or don't particularly care to banter with people of how great or not so great their car is.

Sometimes, like minded people on car forums convince themselves that their opinion is the popular one. It all depends on how many people one knows outside of car forums who aren't represented and how they think about things.

458 has a cult following on car forums... not in real life (and I have a speciale).
Old 05-18-2020, 07:07 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Think Ferrari will be fine with a market cap of 40B, and not even 10% of the size of VW with a 69B cap.
Sorry, but these misleading comparisons bug me. You can't compare auto companies based on market cap given the massive differences in debt in the capital structure. You need to compare enterprise value, and VW's EV is almost 9x larger than Ferrari.

The one that bugged me the most is when tard writers ran articles with the headline 'Tesla the second most valuable car company in the world' back when it was trading at $400 Yeah, no.
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
Guest89 (05-18-2020), pdxjim (05-18-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 08:55 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Sorry, but these misleading comparisons bug me. You can't compare auto companies based on market cap given the massive differences in debt in the capital structure. You need to compare enterprise value, and VW's EV is almost 9x larger than Ferrari.

The one that bugged me the most is when tard writers ran articles with the headline 'Tesla the second most valuable car company in the world' back when it was trading at $400 Yeah, no.
yup, I get it many factors. Ferrari is clearly not Tesla .......debt to equity ratios are key/Ferrari is not debt laden so their cap is a real 40B if they sold the company and it will carry a premium. The brand will always carry a premium, Market cap is clearly a good indicator/minus debt ......take enterprise value and pull out the debt and you have a better picture. 9X could mean 9X more debt right so size not a factor. Profitability is your best indicator, and debt ratios. Ferrari PE ratio 36.29 vs. VW 4.85 size doesn’t factor when VW’s debt is 200B lot of cash to service the debt, and margin sub 7%. Agree much smaller company but not misleading bigger pie more cost, and more debt service. Porsche profits pays off dieselgate.

Last edited by Maverick787; 05-18-2020 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:13 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Just like with anything else, the price of a company (market cap) is the only real value. It's approx how much you would need to pay today if you wanted to own the whole thing, or how much $ you would get if you sold it. You could value a car by its HP, speed, amount of metal, amount of labor to make, brand, etc., but it's actual value is the price at which it changes owners (its market price).
Old 05-18-2020, 09:37 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hf1
Just like with anything else, the price of a company (market cap) is the only real value. It's approx how much you would need to pay today if you wanted to own the whole thing, or how much $ you would get if you sold it. You could value a car by its HP, speed, amount of metal, amount of labor to make, brand, etc., but it's actual value is the price at which it changes owners (its market price).
spot on market cap minus the debt is what’s under the hood.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success