McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 09:25 AM
azzurri
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
This is getting ridiculous!!

Moderators- will you finally move this thread. It should of been closed a year ago.

This should be on some Mac forum.
Agreed. How is this still in this subsection of Rennlist?????????????
The following users liked this post:
Howydo (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 09:28 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by jgorscak
There is no need to take the time trying to convince you, you won't understand
Oh, it’s not me that needs convincing or that needs to understand its the general perception that needs to change. As for me, I really like Macs. Damn near bought one last summer. All day at the Mac dealer in Paramus. Drove and really liked it but in the end decided not to buy it for a number of reasons none having to do with purchase price.

Mac doesn’t need to convince the population of loving owners to buy Mac. It has to convince those who don’t have experience with ownership to take the plunge.

Public image/perception.

Apparently you guys don’t understand or in denial.

No worries. It is what it is.

And this thread should absolutely be moved to the right sub forum

Last edited by Waxer; 05-27-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:17 AM
SSO
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Nothing to do with making assumptions on anything.

Aside from all the negative YouTube blogs you don’t need to own one to read stuff like this that appears all too often and form a negative impression.

https://www.mclarenlife.com/threads/...oncerns.89265/
Really not sure how a thread with a single 2 year old post on McLife that no one bothered responding to is relevant to anything.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:21 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
The motor is "made by Mercedes" ?

I thought is was developed and built by Ricardo and is a bespoke competition crushing piece of awesomeness
Would like some clarity on this too?

The person who made the claim is an obnoxious know-it-all, but does seem to know enough about McLarens that they would know that basic point ... Freudian slip?
Old 05-27-2020, 10:25 AM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Received 662 Likes on 277 Posts

Why move a thread that's been ongoing for over three years? It's just spirited debate and there have been no personal insults or attacks. For Pete's sake what do you expect from an anonymous Internet car forum? For the sensitive type avoid this thread - simple. SMH.
The following 7 users liked this post by RoyalPink:
cadster (05-27-2020), DAVfoto (05-30-2020), Gary(SF) (05-27-2020), mjj (05-27-2020), pdxjim (05-28-2020), tgibrit (05-28-2020), thebishman (05-27-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-27-2020, 10:41 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Would like some clarity on this too?

The person who made the claim is an obnoxious know-it-all, but does seem to know enough about McLarens that they would know that basic point ... Freudian slip?
Yep its correct, they moved to Ricardo a long time ago - I keep thinking in terms of their F1 relationships (which reignite in 21). Love the obnoxious know it all bit - good to see Porsche douchery alive and kicking - as always. Better speak to your mate Walliser...........Lets have a full and frank discussion, how about compare and contrast the GT3 RS with the 765LT and would really love to nail him to the cross of the 991.1 GT3 engine in public.

Any time, feel free Happy to play that whole game in public. It really is no wonder that Porsche owners are universally reviled.

I find it interesting that a small number of you want to close this thread down..............I suspect some of us Mclaren owners own far more Porsche sports cars than most on here ............

I really like my Abyss Black - registration of interest. Porsche won't be getting one anytime soon. Going going gone.....................................................

oh wait another GTXXX lol......................................

Last edited by groundhog; 05-27-2020 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:28 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
This is getting ridiculous!!

Moderators- will you finally move this thread. It should of been closed a year ago.

This should be on some Mac forum.
Why, some of us own more Porsche sports cars than Mclarens................some of us are honest about their relative characteristics

I happen to think my Mclaren 720S is better than any Porsche I have ever owned (other than in a very narrow window) and I own a current 991.2 GT3 RS - do you have a problem with that?

Happy to go into the fine detail, happy to compare the tire wear characteristics of the P corsas Vs Cup 2 and Cup 2 R with photos if you like

Perhaps more renders of the 765LT - I have (formally) registered interest in will do it for you - can put up some photos of my fully caged 991.2 RS for you - or will the bare roof and absence of sun visors cause a value and depreciation melt down .......

After all thats what most GT owners wet their pants about. Yes, thats the singularity I have taken away with me from rennlist. Value and depreciation threads as a combined entity, that plus ill advised badge snobbery - particularly given there are far better cars out there.

Last edited by groundhog; 05-27-2020 at 11:48 AM.
neoprufrok (05-28-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 11:34 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Yep its correct, they moved to Ricardo a long time ago - I keep thinking in terms of their F1 relationships (which reignite in 21). Love the obnoxious know it all bit - good to see Porsche douchery alive and kicking - as always. Better speak to your mate Walliser...........Lets have a full and frank discussion, how about compare and contrast the GT3 RS with the 765LT and would really love to nail him to the cross of the 991.1 GT3 engine in public.

Any time, feel free Happy to play that whole game in public. It really is no wonder that Porsche owners are universally reviled.

I find it interesting that a small number of you want to close this thread down..............I suspect some of us Mclaren owners own far more Porsche sports cars than most on here ............

I really like my Abyss Black - registration of interest. Porsche won't be getting one anytime soon. Going going gone.....................................................

oh wait another GTXXX lol......................................
Thank you for being so gracious!
Old 05-27-2020, 11:54 AM
groundhog
Race Car

^^^ life is short - they're just cars. I really don't care that much other than where people give terrible track set up advice and there is plenty of that on rennlist.

Porsche are out of date and they know it, Walliser certainly does - 992 quick but dismal. They need a leap as per the 996 GT3 (which was for homologation purposes and they thought they would sell 700). Unfortunately the old guard is holding them back.

Again life is short, those that have the ability simply move on. Thats what I'm doing.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:57 AM
FLGT
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SSO
Really not sure how a thread with a single 2 year old post on McLife that no one bothered responding to is relevant to anything.
Agree 1000%. Nor am I sure someone who has NEVER owned a Mac, is suddenly the expert on the public perception of them, based on on-line postings.
I would venture that less than 1% of owners post anything on line.
That, plus, I suspect most commentators have maybe personally spoken to let's say 5-20 owners? What % sample size is that?

Last edited by FLGT; 05-27-2020 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:29 PM
J9277655
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 105 Posts

This thread is really funny. Every now and again i've pointed out my 675LT has had its share of issues, and certainly costs more than my .2 RS to keep on the road. That said, it's still totally insane and engaging to drive. As far as "public perception" (which seems to be the meat of the argument somehow? As though anyone cares?) i haven't rolled up to a stop sign or stop light in 2 years that hasn't had a member of the public grinning from ear to ear. This is a dumb argument that i truly don't even know what its about (but have laughed reading so thanks!)

P.S. I dont discriminate. My RS is a lot of fun too!

Old 05-27-2020, 12:49 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by FLGT
Agree 1000%. Nor am I sure someone who has NEVER owned a Mac, is suddenly the expert on the public perception of them, based on on-line postings.
I would venture that less than 1% of owners post anything on line.
That, plus, I suspect Waxer has maybe personally spoken to let's say 10-20 owners? What % sample size is that?
I agree with Waxer. You don't need to own a car to understand how the public views it. It's not a ownership perception we're discussing; it's a PUBLIC perception. Waxer and I are part of the public. And from what I've seen online in forums, youtube and other contexts, Mclaren has a perception, real or not, of being unreliable and prone to electric gremlins. If you're not aware of this, then you're just ignoring it.
Napoli (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 02:07 PM
carrera911me
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The public perception is real but it's because most of these people are trapped in an echo chamber. As an owner of an LT, I haven't experienced any of these negatives yet. Do I have any issues? Yes minor ones... rattles here and there but my 991 also creaks/ rattles, suffered rubber rot on both front and rear windows, etc.

I find it funny someone said Maclaren comes out with new models every month but has failed to see the n-number of 911 variants it has.. ive lost count when it reached double digits. I think same statements are derived from the same echo chamber. Give it a rest.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:16 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,528 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Here's my perception of McLaren.

About a year ago I was t-h-i-s close to getting a 675LT Spider.

Had all the paperwork done and ready to go, and right before I was about to put pen to paper, we did a final walk around the car, and the the door wouldn't open. No matter what we did, couldn't get the thing to swivel up. It was awkward and embarrassing for everyone involved. Ended up walking away from the deal. Can't live with a car that every once in a while I can't get the door to open. Dealer was good about it too, even just recently offered me a 765LT build slot.

So, yes, my perception is that McLaren has its quality control issues. And, yes, I'm not an owner. Wanted to be one. May still want to be one in the future. But not now.

But I still have my perceptions of McLarens, right or wrong. They are what they are.
Napoli (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 02:23 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by konaforever
I agree with Waxer. You don't need to own a car to understand how the public views it. It's not a ownership perception we're discussing; it's a PUBLIC perception. Waxer and I are part of the public. And from what I've seen online in forums, youtube and other contexts, Mclaren has a perception, real or not, of being unreliable and prone to electric gremlins. If you're not aware of this, then you're just ignoring it.
Looks like a couple of posters here are working hard on repairing exactly that perception, in a Porsche GT3/RS forum no less. Maybe a little too hard -- the lady doth protest too much, methinks.
Napoli (05-28-2020)

Quick Reply: McLaren Success