Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 09:13 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 194 Posts

congrats to all of you 600LT owners and future owners!

600LT or 488Pista ?

to get usefull opinions: pls let all the money topics aside. (depreciation, MSRP,... doesn´t matter at all. to get the real talk) .

usage:
only for track days, country side / Canyon / mountain driving (meaning: speed limit x2), autocross, and maybe also one city centre ice cream per week on a sunday afternoon (after a spiritual drive)

Why 600LT instead of a Pista?

pros 600LT:
- senna seats (because F buckets are not able to order and look like sh*t)
- top exhaust
- full warranty for track use (i don´t know how F will finally behave in case?)
- car media
- weight (i guess in the real world 50kg / 110lbs in advantage for the 600LT (senna seats, no carbon rims on the pista,...)
- the F factor - disadvantage of ownership and envy (welcome to EU)

cons 600LT:
- "missing 100hp"
- a lot of good people say: Pista engine / the F154 CD is currently the best turbo engine worldwide (for us NA lovers)
- the F factor - when you want a playfull dancing car (Speciale is also superb for fun - lap times don´t really matter - fun is more important)
- the F factor - in favor of ownership feeling and emotion

Last edited by jo_ker; 03-26-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:03 AM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

All I can say in that regard, having no experience with either, is there is quite a big price delta (at least here in the US). I was quoted $285k USD for a good 600LT spec, and I have seen Pista moroneys at ~$450k

Money aside I would go Pista, just because I much prefer the looks. Can't speak to any of the other attributes
Old 03-26-2019, 11:19 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Certainly Pista over 600 LT, for looks, if money not a factor

I am not overly in love with Mclaren design. I think 911 prettier
Old 03-26-2019, 11:21 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Any links with the full list of differences btw 570 and 600LT?
Old 03-26-2019, 11:28 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_ker

600LT or 488Pista ?

to get usefull opinions: pls let all the money topics aside. (depreciation, MSRP,... doesn´t matter at all. to get the real talk) .

usage:
only for track days, country side / Canyon / mountain driving (meaning: speed limit x2), autocross, and maybe also one city centre ice cream per week on a sunday afternoon (after a spiritual drive)

pros 600LT:
- top exhaust
- car media
- weight (i guess in the real world 50kg / 110lbs in advantage for the 600LT (senna seats, no carbon rims on the pista,...)

cons 600LT:
- "missing 100hp"
- a lot of good people say: Pista engine / the F154 CD is currently the best turbo engine worldwide (for us NA lovers)
- the F factor - when you want a playfull dancing car (Speciale is also superb for fun - lap times don´t really matter - fun is more important)
If MSRP is not a factor, then the Pista all day long.

Better engine.

But this is a weird question if MSRP is not a factor.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:56 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_ker

600LT or 488Pista ?

usage:

pros 600LT:
- top exhaust
- car media

cons 600LT:
- "missing 100hp"

Id be really curious to see if that 100 hp is really missing from the LT vs the Pista with two customer cars vs a Ferrari press car. I'm pretty positive the 488 isn't going to show nearly the performance stats Ferrari stated engine power, or weight wise. Otherwise, this is a question that's super difficult and depends on what kind of fun you really want, even on the track. The Ferrari is pretty awesome, but I know a few of the reviews said it was blazingly fast but one of those "it's a little too good at everything it does", which is kind of where the GT2 is as well, granted the track vids look like the drivers are still having fun. On the road though, I can't imagine the Ferrari being that much more fun than the whiz bang 600, but this could totally be a to each his own kind of thing as well. Mclaren covering the car for the track would be a BIG upside to me if I was doing that more regularly though, so there is DEFINITELY that to consider. I do have to say that the 600 has a TON of emotion in its driving experience, and possibly more than any modern ferrari I've driven, MAYBE sans 430 Scud (but obviously the LT gearbox is lightyears better). The 650/570/720 don't do the same for emotion btw, so if it was pista vs 720s for emotion, I'd definitely be giving it to the Pista...
Old 03-26-2019, 12:45 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,266 Likes on 945 Posts

If money is not a factor, then both.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:12 PM
carrera911me
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

For the avg Joe, is the even Pista obtainable? Dont you need to be a VVVVIP or has that changed?
Old 03-26-2019, 01:29 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carrera911me
For the avg Joe, is the even Pista obtainable? Dont you need to be a VVVVIP or has that changed?
Buy at Lusso at MRSP or close and almost any dealer would get you a Pista, no joke.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:32 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,266 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Buy at Lusso at MRSP or close and almost any dealer would get you a Pista, no joke.

Or just get a F8 Tributo which is essentially exact same performance and very similar car. No thanks on the Lusso.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:20 PM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by carrera911me
The Pista seems surprisingly easy to pick up. If you never done business with the Ferrari dealership then you probably won’t get an allocation, but it seems many dealerships are offering allocations if you just buy a Lusso. I know one guy just had to buy a 488 GTB to get his Pista allocation.

I’m thinking that the days of Ferrari dealerships being able to add multiple car purchases to granting allocations are coming to an end. Ferrari production numbers are increasing dramatically and Lamborghini and McLaren are putting greater competitive pressure than ever before.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:09 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,579 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
. People who own $300K + cars own multiple cars and marques. They just don't sit on car forums and battle it out with people who have agendas. The perceptions people have fit an already pre-conceived narrative that they want to keep posting about.
To your point, former Evo Contributor Secret Supercar Owner, has owned 7 McLarens, 16 Ferraris, a Koneingsegg, a Jag XJR-15, a Mosler, a few Porsches, Maserati etc. Still owns the F40 and just put down a deposit on an Aston Project 003.

Here he weighs in on his McLaren reliability history:

https://karenable.com/mclarens-reliability/

TLDR: 7 McLarens including P1, 675LT, 720, 650.
Still owns 3
80k total miles
Total of problems: 1 frozen parking brake caliper, 1 temperature sensor, 1 tire pressure sensor, 1 loose turn signal, 1 IRIS unit replacement

Otherwise, zero issues. Three of 7 cars with zero issues.

I'd tend to think he has a pretty good grasp on supercar ownership and would put stock in his McLaren service history....
Old 03-26-2019, 04:31 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 90 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
To your point, former Evo Contributor Secret Supercar Owner, has owned 7 McLarens, 16 Ferraris, a Koneingsegg, a Jag XJR-15, a Mosler, a few Porsches, Maserati etc. Still owns the F40 and just put down a deposit on an Aston Project 003.

Here he weighs in on his McLaren reliability history:

https://karenable.com/mclarens-reliability/

TLDR: 7 McLarens including P1, 675LT, 720, 650.
Still owns 3
80k total miles
Total of problems: 1 frozen parking brake caliper, 1 temperature sensor, 1 tire pressure sensor, 1 loose turn signal, 1 IRIS unit replacement

Otherwise, zero issues. Three of 7 cars with zero issues.

I'd tend to think he has a pretty good grasp on supercar ownership and would put stock in his McLaren service history....

I'm on my 7th Mac (I also talk from experience). Only Porsche at the moment is a GT3RS.

All great cars.

3 of them in one pic.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:03 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by obbob
The Pista seems surprisingly easy to pick up. If you never done business with the Ferrari dealership then you probably won’t get an allocation, but it seems many dealerships are offering allocations if you just buy a Lusso. I know one guy just had to buy a 488 GTB to get his Pista allocation.

I’m thinking that the days of Ferrari dealerships being able to add multiple car purchases to granting allocations are coming to an end. Ferrari production numbers are increasing dramatically and Lamborghini and McLaren are putting greater competitive pressure than ever before.
Yup, Ferrari is now a publicly traded company so guess what...they have profits to book which means more production and they won't be in business for Ferrari collectors. All the big boys will flood the luxury sports car market with more and more cars with each version. Anyone paying over for a Pista needs to head exam.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:25 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
I'm on my 7th Mac (I also talk from experience). Only Porsche at the moment is a GT3RS.

All great cars.

3 of them in one pic.

ohhhhh yes yes yes.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success