McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 12:13 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,032 Likes on 5,242 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
This is a stunning looking 570GT. The best color combo for a Mac I've seen and the whole car looks just right:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2017-mclaren-570gt-2/

Is there anywhere a quick model comparison of all McLarens (12C, 570S, 570GT, 600LT, 650S, 675LT, 720S, ...) and can anyone suggest which year and model currently offers the best back-roads bang/$ for someone who's been using 996 GT3 and Boxster for the job? What's a good price for that BaT 570GT?
$1
Old 05-06-2020, 12:19 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
You have to add in the $2000 annual service to continue the warranty so it’s $13,600 for 2 years. That’s rich.

I can buy a Porsche extended warranty for up to 10 years for $6800.

When Mac decides to stop raping customers on the cost of their warranties for car that drops faster in value than an anchor drops through water that might help. It would also show some confidence in their own product. That might help too.

My concern is also will Mac be around in 2-3 years ?
Wax, serious man 500.00 a month and the warranty is the same as a Ferrari. If someone is dropping 200k-300k on a car, discussing 500.00 a month clearly in the wrong car. Sorry that just doesn’t hunt, and we all can be dead in 3 years.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:43 AM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Wax, serious man 500.00 a month and the warranty is the same as a Ferrari. If someone is dropping 200k-300k on a car, discussing 500.00 a month clearly in the wrong car. Sorry that just doesn’t hunt, and we all can be dead in 3 years.
The cross-purchasers from the Porsche/BMW/Merc crowd buying used will balk at the high warranty cost and (even more) massive depreciation. Why does McLaren care about used buyers? That continues driving down the prices of new and used because demand is so soft.

From everything I have read, McLarens are significantly less reliable than modern Ferrari/Lambo. If you’re going to position yourself with the big boys on pricing, you have to offer a competitive product in all aspects. That includes depreciation and warranty/maintenance cost. My parents were able to buy a 5 year 75k exclusionary (bumper to bumper) warranty on their CTT for $5k. That car cost $160k new. McLaren wants $25k-30k for the same 5 years for a car that costs 1.5-2x the price and it’s powertrain only so you can still get stuck with big bills.

If buyers keep eating their shirt on every car they buy, they’ll buy a different brand. Even people with F U money hate feeling like they “lost” the game.

Porsche has done an extremely good job of creating a strong value and resale for 911/Cayman/Boxster compared to the competition. Ferrari and Lambo values for mid-engine cars have been very strong over the years. McLaren is in the same boat as Aston Martin. Everyone buys one and then says “never again” because they got killed on the trade when they decided to move onto the next car a year later.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:36 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by dgoldenz
The cross-purchasers from the Porsche/BMW/Merc crowd buying used will balk at the high warranty cost and (even more) massive depreciation. Why does McLaren care about used buyers? That continues driving down the prices of new and used because demand is so soft.

From everything I have read, McLarens are significantly less reliable than modern Ferrari/Lambo. If you’re going to position yourself with the big boys on pricing, you have to offer a competitive product in all aspects. That includes depreciation and warranty/maintenance cost. My parents were able to buy a 5 year 75k exclusionary (bumper to bumper) warranty on their CTT for $5k. That car cost $160k new. McLaren wants $25k-30k for the same 5 years for a car that costs 1.5-2x the price and it’s powertrain only so you can still get stuck with big bills.

If buyers keep eating their shirt on every car they buy, they’ll buy a different brand. Even people with F U money hate feeling like they “lost” the game.

Porsche has done an extremely good job of creating a strong value and resale for 911/Cayman/Boxster compared to the competition. Ferrari and Lambo values for mid-engine cars have been very strong over the years. McLaren is in the same boat as Aston Martin. Everyone buys one and then says “never again” because they got killed on the trade when they decided to move onto the next car a year later.
True dat.

That's why I have stayed away from a McLaren. I just hate feeling like i just took it in the ***.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:44 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Ok post was a little harsh. There are only two Mac that I would make an exception for. P1 and 675 and I’m not flying at P1 altitude.

However, I believe that Ferrari charges $500 a month because they can. Its a money grab.

$5000 a year for a warranty on a Mac that’s $200k to $300k is over the top in my book especially when you have to spend $2000 a year for a maintenance check for the privilege of buying it. I think it’s either Mac doing a money grab or it’s a sign they don’t have much confidence in the reliability of their cars either. Maybe both. Spending and having to spend $7000 a year on service and warranty would take a lot of the air out of the enjoyment ballon for me and likely many others. That a lot just for the privilege.

These cars at this level are supposed to be reliable and useable while providing an exciting level of enjoyment. They are touted by their manufacturers as well built and engineered and reliable. That’s part of what your paying for when you buy it.

So a car that likely won’t see 5000 miles a year in most cases goes to chit in 4 years and needs a $7000 a year diaper so it doesn’t take a dump on you in repairs? You can self insure at that number. Can I afford that expense? Sure, but that doesn’t mean I should pay it or think it sensible or fair.

Coming from Porsche where by and large reliability is great and extended warranties are much more reasonable (to me a sign of manufacturers confidence in their product) Mac warranty cost are tough to swallow not to mention bending you over for $2000 every year to do “maintenance” which is required. I don’t spend nor am I compelled to spend $2000 a year on my RS.

The above I suspect has just a “little” to do with their terrible resale. You think Mac doesn’t understand this? They likely do and clearly don’t care.

Show confidence in your used vehicles and I’m willing to bet resale values improve but that’s just silly ol’me.

Yes we could all be dead in 3 years but if not who would you rather bet on being around in the long run if we survive ..Mac or Porsche?

Last edited by Waxer; 05-06-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:05 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

+1

Still does not mean I don’t like the cars. I love them. Mac has made it impossible for me to want to buy one.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:30 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Ok post was a little harsh. There are only two Mac that I would make an exception for. P1 and 675 and I’m not flying at P1 altitude.

However, I believe that Ferrari charges $500 a month because they can. Its a money grab.

$5000 a year for a warranty on a Mac that’s $200k to $300k is over the top in my book especially when you have to spend $2000 a year for a maintenance check for the privilege of buying it. I think it’s either Mac doing a money grab or it’s a sign they don’t have much confidence in the reliability of their cars either. Maybe both. Spending and having to spend $7000 a year on service and warranty would take a lot of the air out of the enjoyment ballon for me and likely many others. That a lot just for the privilege.

These cars at this level are supposed to be reliable and useable while providing an exciting level of enjoyment. They are touted by their manufacturers as well built and engineered and reliable. That’s part of what your paying for when you buy it.

So a car that likely won’t see 5000 miles a year in most cases goes to chit in 4 years and needs a $7000 a year diaper so it doesn’t take a dump on you in repairs? You can self insure at that number.

Coming from Porsche where by and large reliability is great and extended warranties are much more reasonable (to me a sign of manufacturers confidence in their product) Mac warranty cost are tough to swallow not to mention bending you over for $2000 every year to do “maintenance” which is required. I don’t spend nor am I compelled to spend $2000 a year on my RS.

The above I suspect has just a “little” to do with their terrible resale. You think Mac doesn’t understand this? They likely do and clearly don’t care.

Show confidence in your used vehicles and I’m willing to bet resale values improve but that’s just silly ol’me.

Yes we could all be dead in 3 years but if not who would you rather bet on being around in the long run if we survive ..Mac or Porsche?
I actually agree with you, and my Porsche’s never break, and I’ve had my MAC serviced under warranty it’s the hourly rate for the techs limited skill have to pay them and no indi shops. I still say Porsche had 60 years yo get it right which is good for us, it I still argue 300k on a car 4600 on a warranty if you want it small change if you under paid for the car. All fun is not rational ..........hell how many 230K RS sit in the garage and that ok as long as you’re happy.

Last edited by Maverick787; 05-06-2020 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:01 AM
Skeptikal12
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I've had my McLaren for 3 years and it went to the dealer once for a battery replacement on the key fob. My previous 3 Porsches from new, were about the same in terms of dealer visits. I may have gotten one of the Monday built cars.

While under warranty, it is only mandatory to do the minimum service, each year. Not the "full service". Call your local dealer to verify for your car of course. I saved about half the "service" costs by not taking the new windshield wipers, cabin filters, and all the other non-sense checks every year that can easily be done yourself. Still expensive, but an oil change for an air cooled 911 at the local Porsche dealer is $400+, not cheap either.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:34 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

I’m not debating the issues, but I’m a cross shopper so are my friends that I drive with and I’ve not heard one of them complain about the warranty. Sometimes you have internet talk, and it’s talk. Look at the prices on 2016 488’s and F12’s which is a killer car. By the way not many will own a Ferrari out of warranty ......I’ve owned one and actually had zero issues the same as my 675LT minus a broken hose 1600.00 to fix about the same as a Porsche bill minus warranty. I wouldn’t buy a new Mclaren personally nor Ferrari because you will get killed there too.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:30 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 219 Posts

+1

Still does not mean I don’t like the cars. I love them. Mac has made it impossible for me to want to buy one.
I'm in the same boat. I love the 600LT and 720S looks and I'm sure the performance is absurd, but I wind up swapping out cars every 1-2 years and the idea of losing $30k+ depreciation to drive it for a year sounds terrible. I look at Aston the same way - would love to try a V12 Vantage for a couple years but it would be impossible to sell. I've owned 2 991S, a CTT, and a GT3 and I am up money overall between them. At McLaren depreciation rates I'd be down $100k, not to mention the higher maintenance costs and lack of independent shops to work on them. There isn't even a McLaren dealer in Las Vegas so I'd have to drive to Scottsdale or LA to get any service! All of those things combined do not make for an intriguing purchase.

I'm not rich,not even close. I probably shouldn't even be looking at them because it is such a stupid financial decision, but I love cars and since you only live once, it's fun to try as many of them as you can as long as the cost is reasonable. Getting smoked for a $40-50k/year cost of ownership doesn't allow that. I really hope McLaren figures it out and creates a strong brand value to really compete with Ferrari/Lambo, but it seems they've done a pretty poor job of it so far.

Undercutting the competition by offering a much stronger warranty would go a long way. Even if they just went to a 5-year bumper to bumper warranty with free scheduled maintenance that can be extended to 7-10 years for additional cost would help their cars hold value A LOT. Now when you are cross-shopping vs Ferrari/Lambo and there's an extra 2 years of free warranty coverage, which one does that make you lean towards? The overall cost of that warranty/maintenance to McLaren would likely be small in comparison to propping up the sale prices of both new and used cars. Or they can just continue going on about their business selling cars for $60k off sticker. Just my opinion.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:31 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

From what I read and understand, driving any super-car doesn't come cheap when all costs are considered. There's devaluation, insurance, maintenance, warranty, etc. Porsches, especially the GT models, seem to be at the very top in terms of performance per total annual cost, maybe even in a world of their own so our perceptions may be biased by that. The rest of the universe though doesn't seem to vary that much. A $10k total cost per year for a super car seems to be on the lower end of the spectrum, regardless of whether it's paid through depreciation, warranty, or maintenance cost.
The following users liked this post:
Maverick787 (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 12:46 PM
Hex
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 55 Posts
Default money funnels

All sports cars are money funnels these days. This includes the Porsche GT cars since they produced so many of them during the 991.2 run. I was shocked when I found out how much my one year old GT3RS was worth. However, I do think that the neck on the McLaren funnel is the widest of all.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:51 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

I think we have been insulated by Porsche GT3 cars because of the brand and being bullet proof. A few things to consider times are changing, my 2015 GT3 sold 144k after 2 years MSRP 153k, 2016 GT3RS sold 215k MSRP 207k, 2019 RS my keeper sub MSRP after one year see the trend. Ferrari is having their own problems with depreciation, there’s too many cars to choose from and this will be the new normal. 488’s are in RS territory ...........my philosophy is always to enjoy what you buy, and super car buys are always bad/but fun feels good(:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ln-d2333_L8418
Old 05-06-2020, 01:13 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Here’s the cost it’s the labor which was 807.00 for the below job, and several days for the part to come from the U.K. They gave me a cool loaner 720S, and said have fun.

Old 05-06-2020, 01:17 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

^That looks reasonable for an exotic.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success