Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 04:43 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
It will be very interesting to see what happens with the value and pricing of these cars when the C8 Z06 hits the ground. I am willing to bet that the C8 Z06 will outperform every McLaren except the Senna and will out perform the Pista, Huracans and Ford GT, and Porsche GT cars. I am already first on the list for one.
You're completely missing the point here. No one is cross shopping the cars you mentioned with a corvette, and it doesn't matter if the corvette's specs make it as fast as or faster. People buy McLarens for their engineering and cachet. People buy them for exclusivity. For example, my humble old 12C - there are only 1400 of these in the United States. You don't see other ones when driving. I can throw a rock and hit a Corvette.

So yeah, absolutely NOTHING is going to happen to the values of the cars you mentioned that will be caused by any iteration of the corvette.

Oh, and I own a 2008 Z06 by the way. Nice car but it's not supplanting anything.
The following 3 users liked this post by Catorce:
carrera911me (08-09-2019), GentlemanRacer (08-09-2019), thebishman (08-10-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 05:34 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Catorce
You're completely missing the point here. No one is cross shopping the cars you mentioned with a corvette, and it doesn't matter if the corvette's specs make it as fast as or faster. People buy McLarens for their engineering and cachet. People buy them for exclusivity. For example, my humble old 12C - there are only 1400 of these in the United States. You don't see other ones when driving. I can throw a rock and hit a Corvette.

So yeah, absolutely NOTHING is going to happen to the values of the cars you mentioned that will be caused by any iteration of the corvette.

Oh, and I own a 2008 Z06 by the way. Nice car but it's not supplanting anything.
Oh I get your point and I’ve considered that but the new C8 Z06 will be a world beater. The predecessors weren’t.

Previously the the others had something over the Vette. I think that will be over. Part of the “cachet” came with some aspect of superiority in some aspect. That well may be over.

Cachet just based on more expensive and less in number number may not be enough.

While the new C8 will be a mass produced car the accessories and options available will be near Porsche level so individuality will offset the numbers. Performance and looks will be off the charts.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:40 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,269 Likes on 945 Posts

C8 is a great car and kudos to Corvette for stepping up. I considered getting one- but in addition to, not instead of my other cars. They will sell like hotcakes but no one is cross shopping a Mclaren or Ferrari instead of a Corvette. 911 carrera- maybe gets dinged as its closer to the price point. But not the higher end brands.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:45 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Oh I get your point and I’ve considered that but the new C8 Z06 will be a world beater. The predecessors weren’t.

Previously the the others had something over the Vette. I think that will be over. Part of the “cachet” came with some aspect of superiority in some aspect. That well may be over.

Cachet just based on more expensive and less in number number may not be enough.

While the new C8 will be a mass produced car the accessories and options available will be near Porsche level so individuality will offset the numbers. Performance and looks will be off the charts.
I think you're wrong about that too. ALL Z06/ZR1 are world beaters. Go look up what you could get in 2008 that had 500HP NA dry sump motor. My 2009 Turbo has fewer horsepower although it is slightly faster than the same year Vette.

The Z corvettes are always amazing values and super competitive, but they have never, ever, not EVER hurt exotic car sales.

I don't care how much the C8Z is better, no matter what Reuss / Juechter say it will never even have a tenth of the interior finish of the comparable exotic. Not going to happen on their budget. It will never have a carbon tub, it will never be as light as any of the exotics.

But that's OK, because for the price of an old used exotic you'll be able to buy a brand new C8Z corvette that will blow the doors off the old ones. Nothing new here.

My MACs get front row parking wherever I go. My buddy recently tagged along in his C7Z06 and they threw him in the parking structure. Yawn.

If you think there is nothing to cachet and exclusivity go look up anything Pagani makes. Lots of cars are faster than Paganis. A used 720 will destroy it. Yet it cost 2M and is a hand build bespoke vehicle that no one else has.

Ferrari, Porsche GT cars, Lambo and Mac are all about being different.
The following 2 users liked this post by Catorce:
GentlemanRacer (08-09-2019), thebishman (08-10-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 05:54 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

It will be very interesting to see what happens with the value and pricing of these cars when the C8 Z06 hits the ground. I am willing to bet that the C8 Z06 will outperform every McLaren except the Senna and will out perform the Pista, Huracans and Ford GT, and Porsche GT cars. I am already first on the list for one.
The C8 Z06 should be bonkers. Of course by that time the competition will have upped their game a notch too, which is awesome. What an amazing time to be a car nut.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:00 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
What's wrong with an initial Nissan Racing engine, then re-engineered by TWR for Indy carts, then acquired by McLaren with support of Ricardo and ilmor?

It is a masterpiece, and I have driven the weakest one (12c) and the strongest regular production one (720S), and they are amazing. Neither 720s or 570s have gone limp on me, only the 12c and 650s on the same racetrack after a few laps on 90s weather. It is a good engine.

Aerodynamics are fantastic. The 720S produces more downforce than every Porsche GT3RS/GT2RS prior to the 991 generation, and only the 991 GT3RS and 991 GT2RS produce more downforce. The 720S produces more downforce than the 600LT.

McLaren consulted with ProDrive for improvement on the Carbon Ceramic brakes, Prodrive made parts for this car.

Graziano produced an amazingly light DCT. Maybe not as quick as the GT3RS PDK, but quicker than most DCTs out there, and dependable.

The McLarens have exotic looks, they don't look plain at all.

Suspension development and steering feel (especially the 570S) is just impressive.

The 720S pulls stronger than the GT2RS, and the GT2RS is already a monster car on acceleration from a roll.

Your Sig had me in stitches!
And I agree with the above. Driven them all. Specs are specs. Desire and want pretty much decides things. Watched a documentary entitled "the cars that made America great". mainly about the big three, but I am sure can be extrapolated to other marques, and they all suffered from the same things at some point in their history. When people get options in the HP race, they just buy something that reflects their personality, or image most of the times, regardless of the engineering at least initially.
McLaren has wooed me with many track days, long term test drives etc etc and I marvel at that car, but I will keep my RS. Yeah, I don't like the wing, or the scoops but for what its designed for, its a precision scalpel. I am sure the local track will see its fair share of Corvettes come next year. If you got the money, buy one of each. Very soon all these cars will be wonderful classics, when we are forced to be driven in neutered, electric taxis regulated by every safety and emission laws. Then I will be pining for my scoops and wing.

Cheers

Last edited by GentlemanRacer; 08-09-2019 at 06:01 PM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
Jon D (08-10-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 06:02 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

As far as the C8 taking sales away from the other exotics, i think it will have somewhat of an impact. For example, let’s say i am in the market for a 458 or 488. If the C8 Z06 is that strong maybe i decide to go new Z06 instead of used Ferrari. I think for the one toy guy upgrading, maybe it won’t have much impact. A Chevy is not a Ferrari. But for the guys looking to add to the stable, maybe a beater Z06 will be mighty enticing for 1/3rd or 1/4th the money.

So in the big picture i think the C8 Z06 makes a sizable dent in the market. But i could be totally wrong. That happens almost daily. Just ask my wife.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:08 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

The great thing about this tread we’re all talking cars
https://carbuzz.com/news/mclaren-kee...ture-supercars

Last edited by Maverick787; 08-09-2019 at 06:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Maverick787:
robmypro (08-09-2019), thebishman (08-10-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 07:31 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,745 Likes on 5,128 Posts

C8, in any guise -- either GS, Z06, or whatever -- will have no significant impact on sales of Ferrari, Lambos, Mclarens, or any variant of 911s.

Like others have said, no one cross-shops a Corvette with any of the above-mentioned marques.

And, as others have implied, the Corvette (certainly since the C7 iteration) has always been world-beaters, and have always offered better and superior QPR than a similarly equipped Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren, Porsche 911xx, etc.

These cars are aspirational purchases. The buyer who aspires to own a Corvette is not the same buyer who aspires to own a Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren, or Porsche 911xx.

Maybe the mid-engine layout will change some of that, but I doubt it. And only at the very farthest margins, if it does.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:11 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

while the engineer in me likes looking at the spec sheets, lap times, 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times, etc
i can't say that spec comparisons have been the most important factors when i've bought cars.

and if i'm honest, i'd say "emotional response" to the car probably plays a bigger role than the specs.
how it looks, feels, sounds, etc and how those aspects makes me feel will easily outweigh not having the best <insert spec here>.
and then of course, price is another key factor. need to be able to afford it and think it's worth it to me.

the C8 will likely win the spec sheet and performance comparison battle vs my 997.2 GT3 or 570S but i'm still not interested in it.
i'd rather use my money to get a nice 997.2 GT3 RS or Mitsu Evo 8 or Datsun 510 or VW Transporter Crew Cab.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:35 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
C8 is a great car and kudos to Corvette for stepping up. I considered getting one- but in addition to, not instead of my other cars. They will sell like hotcakes but no one is cross shopping a Mclaren or Ferrari instead of a Corvette. 911 carrera- maybe gets dinged as its closer to the price point. But not the higher end brands.
Agree. I am getting one of the first C8s (couldn't help myself), but I'm not selling any of my Porsche's. Just figured I would spec a track version and go beat it at the track. If I don't like it after a couple months, I'll dump it. If I do like it, tracking just got a lot cheaper. GT3RS wills till go to the track, but not as much. I like the thoughts of destroying a 75k car, not a 200k+ car.

I also think that. the C8 won't hurt any of these exotics. Probably will take sales from the Cayman, but not the GT 911 cars. People buy these exotics mainly because they can and every one around them can't. It's an ego thing for most. Just like anything else that is expensive, exotic and in short. supply.
Yippiekiaye (08-10-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 11:27 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

C8 strikes again... well done GM incredible
Old 08-09-2019, 11:35 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

C8 will steal sales from potential cayman and GT4 buyers, not 911 or GT3/RS buyers.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:04 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Catorce
And still no details of what constitutes a "crap engine" in the McLaren.......
You do realize you're speaking to FXZ? The man/woman who has been spewing "CONFIRMED" stupidity on this forum for years. put him on your mental ignore list and don't waste another second.
Yippiekiaye (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 01:13 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,269 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
You do realize you're speaking to FXZ? The man/woman who has been spewing "CONFIRMED" stupidity on this forum for years. put him on your mental ignore list and don't waste another second.

Good to know. I’ve read stupid posts but his was about the stupidest. Probably lives in mommy’s basement and has a Porsche poster on the wall. Hoping to save up for his first used cayman.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success