Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 09:53 AM
SSO
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Great read. He touches on a few of the things I mentioned about McLaren, but doesn’t comment on the most recent capital raise, which was announced simultaneously with the appointment of Paul Walsh.
I did see the announcement on the capital raise but couldn't find any details on it. No idea if it was an up or down round but should know more when they release results on the 23rd.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:06 AM
SSO
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Just the fact you get straight to the point by referencing EBITDA numbers shows you really know you are talking about. You are obviously very successful and have a unique (in a good way) sharing about cars so I assume your financial insights would be even more enlightening.
Thanks. I've worked on a few M&A deals over the years which are always quite interesting.

Given I've got a lot more free time these days, might just try to take a look at a few other companies....
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 10:08 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,492 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by SSO
Thanks. I've worked on a few M&A deals over the years which are always quite interesting.

Given I've got a lot more free time these days, might just try to take a look at a few other companies....
Interesting. I'm also a business broker but focus on businesses in the financial sector with gross revenue of $1,000,000 plus.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:53 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by SSO
I did see the announcement on the capital raise but couldn't find any details on it. No idea if it was an up or down round but should know more when they release results on the 23rd.
The reason that I suspect that the most recent round of investment was a “down round” is the mention of McLaren’s “existing, long-term investors” participating in the offering. To me, this is a dog whistle that a rights offering was conducted, because McLaren Group evidently wanted to maintain its existing roster (and composition) of shareholders. One way to spur existing shareholders to participate in a subsequent investment is to do so at a lower valuation. The cost of NOT participating is that your legacy investment is diluted, perhaps ruinously, so you are somewhat “forced” to participate.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:35 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,243 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Aren't all Macs using the same 3.8 turbo engine making them all one chip tune apart from the rest at least in HP/TQ?

that's like saying the GT2RS and the GTS are both turbo flat sixes...

Mclaren has introduced a bunch of different valve, turbo, piston, ecu, cam, cooling, oiling components over the last 8-9 years.

The following users liked this post:
neoprufrok (04-24-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 06:38 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,243 Likes on 610 Posts

incoming model lineup:

Elva
620R
765LT
765LT Spider
570S replacement- V6 hybrid-
P1 Version 2- hybrid
McLaren GT hybrid
Fully electric car
SuperAmazingLimited 765LT by MSO ( highsport?)
720S replacement
720S replacement hybrid
The following 2 users liked this post by C.J. Ichiban:
AlexCeres (04-14-2020), thebishman (04-15-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 08:28 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
incoming model lineup:

Elva
620R
765LT
765LT Spider
570S replacement- V6 hybrid-
P1 Version 2- hybrid
McLaren GT hybrid
Fully electric car
SuperAmazingLimited 765LT by MSO ( highsport?)
720S replacement
720S replacement hybrid
Hybridized V6 for everything post-570S replacement? Presumably M630T (i.e., 3.0L 6 cylinder) ... or maybe shorten the stroke a bit to go just under 3.0L for displacement tax purposes. Or maybe an all-new engine?
Old 04-15-2020, 06:12 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Guys, couple quick questions about Mclaren's tire philosophy.

- Why is it that manufacturers like Mclaren use smaller tires than Porsche even though they have a higher power-to-weight ratio?

If I may extrapolate, I was killing time watching some Chris Harris videos - the first being his review of the P1 and the second being his review of the Z/28. Chris Goodwin (Mclaren test driver) said that they wanted a "street car, not a race car" and hence the relatively small tire size. Harris was also blown away by the Z/28's front grip and indicated that GM used a "simple" solution of using more rubber to give a relatively heavy car more grip. They then spent time dialing out all the bad road behaviors that come with a wider tire. Mclaren seem to have some incredible chassis engineers so surely they're capable of modifying the car to make it work well.

- Is running smaller tires the result of needing less rolling resistance to meet certain MPG standards?
- If anyone has tried wider rubber at a track day, what have the results been?
- Final question is would doing so invalidate the warranty? If the P1 and Senna are capable of those cornering speeds, I can't imagine that oil starvation is an issue, but I'm wondering what else could go wrong as grip levels increase that Mclaren would not want to cover free of cost.

Just curious, thanks in advance.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:17 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by enduro911

- Why is it that manufacturers like Mclaren use smaller tires than Porsche even though they have a higher power-to-weight ratio?

If I may extrapolate, I was killing time watching some Chris Harris videos - the first being his review of the P1 and the second being his review of the Z/28. Chris Goodwin (Mclaren test driver) said that they wanted a "street car, not a race car" and hence the relatively small tire size. Harris was also blown away by the Z/28's front grip and indicated that GM used a "simple" solution of using more rubber to give a relatively heavy car more grip. They then spent time dialing out all the bad road behaviors that come with a wider tire. Mclaren seem to have some incredible chassis engineers so surely they're capable of modifying the car to make it work well.

- Is running smaller tires the result of needing less rolling resistance to meet certain MPG standards?
- Final question is would doing so invalidate the warranty? If the P1 and Senna are capable of those cornering speeds, I can't imagine that oil starvation is an issue, but I'm wondering what else could go wrong as grip levels increase that Mclaren would not want to cover free of cost.

There has been discussion on here in the past relating to McLaren’s narrow tire specification (in particular on the front axle) being a limitation of the original 12C chassis design. It is a great question, however.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:21 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

My guess... More grip => higher g-forces => more suspension + brakes + cooling => more weight => more suspension + brakes +cooling => worse power-to-weight ratio. In general, everything has to be beefed up for higher stress with higher grip & g-forces. It's how Lotus added lightness with less grip. Then there are engine oiling and cooling issues with higher g-forces and more weight especially with turbos. There are many design feedback loops that get out of hand if one of these systems is off..

Old 04-15-2020, 11:26 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 279 Posts

Very good question. I’m looking at buying a 600LT and the previous owner put 20x9’s up front and 21x12’s in the rear. I was curious if I could fit 20x9.5’s and 21x12.5’s and run the same tires as my RS.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:58 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Carbon Monocoque, is why.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:15 AM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Carbon Monocoque, is why.
Not sure I follow. Is it because they only designed the monocoque to accommodate tires up to a certain width, or is there some other reason why the monocoque won’t allow wider tires?

I’ll be curious to see my 600LT when it arrives, as the previous owner has wheels and tires only 1/2” more narrow than my RS.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:35 PM
pepinozaur
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Trying the same thing- wider tires. I would try 265-35-19/315 -30-20 TrofeoR on 720s as they seem to run same tire ratio as OEM, caluclated 1.054 rear to front.
Also regarding slicks I have seen some using combo of 650/690 (way lower than oem ratio), one try could be using Yoko R20 slicks in the frears and fronts R19, but they run 710mm tall in the back and only 660mm in the fronts (needed 672mm to keep the ratio)
Old 04-17-2020, 09:06 PM
kingjr9000
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm really curious to know why there are so many Sennas for sale on du-pont. If anyone knows something or if there are any solid guesses, feel free to inform me. Is it because of the few senna fires that have happened or is it something else?

Quick Reply: McLaren Success