Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 07:47 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
​​​​​​​

For both you and Waxer, I wouldn't suggest Ferrari then either

On OEM battery I expect the Fcar to die within 3 days or less, especially if not sucking on the tender 24/7 when not driven

Ferrari warranty once 3 year is done - I think is 5k/yr for V8 which I paid, and 7k/yr for V12? Rife with exclusions

I've heard stories of Fcars with wheels coming off on track even though lugs were checked, batteries dying, cars in limp mode due to low voltage, brake/ABS/AVH issues that are very concerning, passenger airbags exploding when wheel bottoms out, PTU issues on the FF, sticky buttons, yadda yadda

New 7 year maintenance pack for Ferrari 2019 MY and up, allegedly Ferrari is now being way more stingy with what is "free"

812/488 depreciation hits harder than prime Mike Tyson right now

Point is I think I could bore into all those issues a hell of a lot more too, if I wanted to. I don't see this as exclusive to McLaren, but rather the game you'll play if you want a supercar (not a sports car)

Seems like some have a bone to pick or want to feel secure tooting their GT3/RS horn at the expense of the exotics. For what it's worth I'm still having more fun and enjoying my Fcar, given all of that, as a special occasion and event way more than any of my 911s, and I'd imagine some Mac owners feel the same way

Bottom line is you gotta pay to play or stay on the sidelines
Wow!
I would have expected that description of Ferrari circa 1990, not 2020. I guess the reports of Ferraris becoming more reliable is a bit relative, at least compared to Porsche. The warranty with all those exclusions isn't very confidence inspiring, and depreciation of the Ferrari mid engine turbo models has been much more extreme than the NA cars. I think you made a wise choice to dump your 488 for a Speciale. I wouldn't buy a turbo exotic from Mac or Ferrari right now. There is always another turbo around the corner with the boost turned up a bit. None of those cars are special enough to hold for a long time, but the Speciale is.

Originally Posted by Waxer
F cars don’t do anything for me. Beautiful to look at but just not me. Also, Ferrari is in a MUCH different position than Mac. For many reasons they can command rip off money for the Ferrari ownership experience. Fortunately, for me I have no interest on their cars. 😎
I will say Ferrari’s are more mainstream today and have gained a general reputation for reliability but still expensive to fix out of warranty.
I would also say Porsche GT cars are exotics and damn reliable ones at that with a lower cost of ownership.
I was this close to buying a 458 twice, but never pulled the trigger. They are definitely the most beautiful sports cars IMHO, but that isn't enough for me. I'm not enough of an extrovert to deal with all the extra attention that a Ferrari or Mac brings, and not enough of a show off to enjoy it. I want a reliable sports car that I can use for many purposes including flogging it on a track, that is special in its own right (to myself and other car people), but one that doesn't attract unwanted attention every single time you take it anywhere. Ferraris are beautiful and the 458 generation sound great, but they don't fit any of my other criteria. I'm very happy with my 991.2 GT3.

Last edited by Drifting; 08-03-2020 at 08:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Drifting:
robmypro (08-04-2020), sampelligrino (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 08:17 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

F cars don’t do anything for me. Beautiful to look at but just not me. Also, Ferrari is in a MUCH different position than Mac. For many reasons they can command rip off money for the Ferrari ownership experience. Fortunately, for me I have no interest on their cars. 😎

I will say Ferrari’s are more mainstream today and have gained a general reputation for reliability but still expensive to fix out of warranty.

I would also say Porsche GT cars are exotics and damn reliable ones at that with a lower cost of ownership.
My point is the complaints against McLaren are complaints that could be lodged against Ferrari or Lambo or Aston etc all the same Waxer. Maybe if you really have a bone to pick you can go after Mac for the smaller dealer network but I'd guess that's the same for Aston, and it's not like it's 1:1 or even 1:3 for most Ferrari to Porsche dealers.

Bottom line is again, you gotta pay to play and don't complain if you can't keep up or play in that space. It's a supercar. Not a Prius or Tesla Model 3, nor would I expect the ownership model or experience to be so. And this is strictly my opinion, but I do not lump a GT Porsche in that supercar/exotic category. I backed that up with selling my GT3 to make way for the 488 and my 911 50th which was a better spread for me at the time. So personally, I wouldn't compare your ownership experience with your flawless perfect ultimate GR on aurum wheel combo 3RS non-WP, with an actual exotic. One should deliver an exotic experience (the good the bad *and* the ugly), the other is an incredible track focused 911. At the end of the day, it's still a 911 and that's not a bad thing. In fact, that's what makes the GT cars so appealing in their own right IMO.

Originally Posted by Drifting
Wow!
I would have expected that description of Ferrari circa 1990, not 2020. I guess the reports of Ferraris becoming more reliable is a bit relative, at least compared to Porsche. The warranty with all those exclusions isn't very confidence inspiring, and depreciation of the turbo mid engine models has been much more extreme than the NA cars. I think you made a wise choice to dump your 488 for a Speciale. I wouldn't buy a turbo exotic from Mac or Ferrari right now. There is always another turbo around the corner with the boost turned up a bit. None of those cars are special enough to hold for a long time.

I was this close to buying a 458 twice, but never pulled the trigger. They are definitely the most beautiful sports cars IMHO, but that isn't enough for me. I'm not enough of an extrovert to deal with all the extra attention that a Ferrari or Mac brings, and I want a reliable car that I can flog on a track, is special in its own right at least to other car people, but one that doesn't attract unwanted attention every single time you take it anywhere. Ferraris are beautiful, but don't fit any of my other criteria. I'm very happy with my 991.2 GT3.
That's cool. I was the total opposite. I loved my GT3 at full boil when tires were warm, tarmac smooth, and I could be in 2nd/3rd gear past 7k RPM for sustained periods of time. Other than that, it was mostly for all intents and purposes just a 911 for me. Not so with the 488 and now Speciale...

And as for the attention I've received, I try to share the love and joy because I was once that kid staring out the window oogling at the Fcar passing by, and everyone has been a great sport about it so far. My concerns about the attention prior to becoming an owner were very much overblown

Oh and PS. I would not throw a Pista out of bed....nor the new Roma actually
The following users liked this post:
Maverick787 (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 08:30 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

My point is the complaints against McLaren are complaints that could be lodged against Ferrari or Lambo or Aston etc all the same Waxer. Maybe if you really have a bone to pick you can go after Mac for the smaller dealer network but I'd guess that's the same for Aston, and it's not like it's 1:1 or even 1:3 for most Ferrari to Porsche dealers.

Bottom line is again, you gotta pay to play and don't complain if you can't keep up or play in that space. It's a supercar. Not a Prius or Tesla Model 3, nor would I expect the ownership model or experience to be so. And this is strictly my opinion, but I do not lump a GT Porsche in that supercar/exotic category. I backed that up with selling my GT3 to make way for the 488 and my 911 50th which was a better spread for me at the time. So personally, I wouldn't compare your ownership experience with your flawless perfect ultimate GR on aurum wheel combo 3RS non-WP, with an actual exotic. One should deliver an exotic experience (the good the bad *and* the ugly), the other is an incredible track focused 911. At the end of the day, it's still a 911 and that's not a bad thing. In fact, that's what makes the GT cars so appealing in their own right IMO.

That's cool. I was the total opposite. I loved my GT3 at full boil when tires were warm, tarmac smooth, and I could be in 2nd/3rd gear past 7k RPM for sustained periods of time. Other than that, it was mostly for all intents and purposes just a 911 for me. Not so with the 488 and now Speciale...

And as for the attention I've received, I try to share the love and joy because I was once that kid staring out the window oogling at the Fcar passing by, and everyone has been a great sport about it so far. My concerns about the attention prior to becoming an owner were very much overblown

Well said. I remember being at a store and a kid and mom were looking at my Ferrari and said sorry when I walked up. I told them what open the door and let the little one sit and play. His face was mine when I was a young kid. It’s all about the give back.

Last edited by Maverick787; 08-04-2020 at 09:25 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Maverick787:
AllAboutThatP (08-04-2020), joejenie (08-04-2020), sampelligrino (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 08:33 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Great post, + 1000.

911s of any variant are sports cars. But, they are great cars and I keep buying them.

They are not exotics, nor supercars. 918 and CGT are the modern Porsche exotics/supercars, full stop.
sampelligrino (08-04-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 08:45 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,269 Likes on 945 Posts

Every few months, Waxer just likes to pretend he was going to buy a 570 just so he can sound more credible when he bashes Mclaren. Look, I dont know about anyone else but Ive had virtually no issues with my 720. My 488 before that- bulletproof over almost 5000 miles. My 3RS same in my one year ownership of the car and 3500 miles or so. My GT3 Touring- well, I only owned that for a few months do that doesnt count but it was flawless as well.

However I also know a couple of folks that have had issues with their Mclaren, Ferrari, Porsche, fill in the blank. If you want to bash Mclaren for reliability, the same can be said about any brand. There will be mostly good examples but you do have some select cars that have more issues than others. That is not a Mclaren thing, that is a automobile thing. Someone posted earlier and its spot on comment- Lemon Laws were in place long before Mclaren for a reason.

They are just cars and I would agree with Sam that the GT3 is not a supercar like the 720 or a Pista or a 488 or Speciale. Its an amazing car but its just a version of the 5000 other 911 models out there. If people spent more time driving and admiring their cars in stead of looking for ways to bash brands they dont own or have no experience with, the world would be a better place.
FLGT (08-04-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 09:10 PM
kkabba
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
Every few months, Waxer just likes to pretend he was going to buy a 570 just so he can sound more credible when he bashes Mclaren. Look, I dont know about anyone else but Ive had virtually no issues with my 720. My 488 before that- bulletproof over almost 5000 miles. My 3RS same in my one year ownership of the car and 3500 miles or so. My GT3 Touring- well, I only owned that for a few months do that doesnt count but it was flawless as well.

However I also know a couple of folks that have had issues with their Mclaren, Ferrari, Porsche, fill in the blank. If you want to bash Mclaren for reliability, the same can be said about any brand. There will be mostly good examples but you do have some select cars that have more issues than others. That is not a Mclaren thing, that is a automobile thing. Someone posted earlier and its spot on comment- Lemon Laws were in place long before Mclaren for a reason.

They are just cars and I would agree with Sam that the GT3 is not a supercar like the 720 or a Pista or a 488 or Speciale. Its an amazing car but its just a version of the 5000 other 911 models out there. If people spent more time driving and admiring their cars in stead of looking for ways to bash brands they dont own or have no experience with, the world would be a better place.
-------

As a McLaren owner (675LT) I would not have kept her unless I had at least a handful other cars I could drive on roads and on the track.

The 675LT is by far my favourite to drive HARD on track and she gives me lots of confidence because of all the feedback - and its a ridiculously fast and engaging car. Hydraulic steering and CF tub go a long way. But - she depreciates like a falling stone and has a few small annoyances that pop up from time to time on track - nothing where I had to end my track day early though.

The Porsche cars I own or recently owned (991.2GT3, 991GT2RS, 718 Clubsport MR race car) are relatively bullet proof. But they are also relatively incredibly dull in comparison.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:08 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

I’m not bashing Mac for reliability issues. Never owned one. I’m bashing Mac for not stepping up and fixing the apparent public perception problem with their products.

As far as what’s “exotic” and what’s not Porsche GT cars certainly fit the definition. Scissor doors aren’t a prerequisite to qualify.

https://www.zeroto60times.com/2013/0...rs-definition/

Last edited by Waxer; 08-04-2020 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:59 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

I’m not bashing Mac for reliability issues. Never owned one. I’m bashing Mac for not stepping up and fixing the apparent public perception problem with their products.

As far as what’s “exotic” and what’s not Porsche GT cars certainly fit the definition. Scissor doors aren’t a prerequisite to qualify.

So you aren't buying one not because you dont think its reliable. The reason you aren't buying one is because the public thinks they are unreliable, which according to you, they are.

Makes total sense.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:10 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Officially jumped the shark.

So sad.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:54 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
So you aren't buying one not because you dont think its reliable. The reason you aren't buying one is because the public thinks they are unreliable, which according to you, they are.

Makes total sense.
No. Not what I said. Stop watching Happy Days re runs with Ipsa Dixit and try reading with more comprehension.

I can’t personally say they are unreliable from personal experience. I can say they appear to be unreliable from things many others have said and what appears to be a horrid reputation for reliability which is counter balanced by a number of owners here saying they’ve had no problems.

The fact they appear to be unreliable is supported by their likewise horrid resale and service requirements and fees then followed by their ridiculous yearly warranty fee which one can reasonably conclude is deliberately calculated to offset expected problems. After all no one Macs better than Mac. Right?

I negotiated on two cars I hoped to be near the bottom of their depreciation plunge. I really liked the cars but wanted the dealer to throw in the warranty cost for three years. They said no. I walked. Had they met my offer I would have taken the chance as I really liked the cars and hoped in light of each cars service history for a great ownership experience as you and some others have told us about which gave me some hope.

Ive suggested my opinion how Mac could help buttress what appears to be a rep for poor quality. Unlikely they will give up the money grab from a captured group for their F1 venture needs.

Old 08-04-2020, 09:43 AM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by kkabba
-------

As a McLaren owner (675LT) I would not have kept her unless I had at least a handful other cars I could drive on roads and on the track.

The 675LT is by far my favourite to drive HARD on track and she gives me lots of confidence because of all the feedback - and its a ridiculously fast and engaging car. Hydraulic steering and CF tub go a long way. But - she depreciates like a falling stone and has a few small annoyances that pop up from time to time on track - nothing where I had to end my track day early though.

The Porsche cars I own or recently owned (991.2GT3, 991GT2RS, 718 Clubsport MR race car) are relatively bullet proof. But they are also relatively incredibly dull in comparison.
My 675 search will be picking back up later in the year due to the current environment it seems. But your reasons of more engaging on track with the LT is what I am looking for most, my RS seems so dull on track at times as the front is lifeless and not a very engaging car IMO. Adding the 675 and being able to rotate between the 2 is what I want ideally.

I just wish Mclaren dealers would offer a warranty on their used LT's, it seems the 3 I spoke to about closing a deal a few months back were all resistant to add a warranty unless it was paid for by me, these were sub 5k mile cars and came into them with warranty whilst being traded too.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:18 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Got together with a bunch of friends for a drive on Sunday. Afterwards we are shooting the **** and of course start talking about cars. One guy had owned a lot of cars, and he tells us how crazy fast his 720 was. He previously owned a modded 997 GT2 and i think a high horsepower GTR. The guy knows what a fast car is. The 720 was in its own class. I asked him if he still owned it and he said he would never buy a McLaren again. Too many problems, mostly electronic related. He also had a lot of broken glass issues. Basically, never own one out of warranty.

I have read a lot of comments like this online but hearing this from a friend in person holds a lot of weight. Here are 5 car guys listening to this and thinking “scratch McLaren off the list” or at least factor the warranty into the cost of ownership, and hope you are close to a dealer. I really like the 675LT and would strongly consider buying one, but i would do so with my eyes wide open. There’s no free lunch.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:12 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

No. Not what I said. Stop watching Happy Days re runs with Ipsa Dixit and try reading with more comprehension.

I can’t personally say they are unreliable from personal experience. I can say they appear to be unreliable from things many others have said and what appears to be a horrid reputation for reliability which is counter balanced by a number of owners here saying they’ve had no problems.

The fact they appear to be unreliable is supported by their likewise horrid resale and service requirements and fees then followed by their ridiculous yearly warranty fee which one can reasonably conclude is deliberately calculated to offset expected problems. After all no one Macs better than Mac. Right?

I negotiated on two cars I hoped to be near the bottom of their depreciation plunge. I really liked the cars but wanted the dealer to throw in the warranty cost for three years. They said no. I walked. Had they met my offer I would have taken the chance as I really liked the cars and hoped in light of each cars service history for a great ownership experience as you and some others have told us about which gave me some hope.

Ive suggested my opinion how Mac could help buttress what appears to be a rep for poor quality. Unlikely they will give up the money grab from a captured group for their F1 venture needs.
Reading comprehension is just fine and in fact am enjoying your fairy tale of trying to buy a Mclaren. Its quite fascinating. I hope you find the right car in the future. Happy driving.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:14 AM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

675's are suppose to be the one Mclaren that was super over engineered and most have near zero issues with them. I am always cautious that every car I buy "Must" have some type of CPO warranty. I now track once a month and knowing that a warranty is there to take care of the larger things that could go wrong is where I want to be.

Its a real shame that dealers want new owners to pay for the warranty and they range from 6-9k on top of the price for 1 year. I was so close to pulling the trigger on a killer deal on a LT in Chicago back in late June and it all came down to the warranty which they would not budge on. I am very confident that the 675's will go back up in price in the future which is why finding a high spec, lowish miles car is on my list.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:25 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hsb1001
675's are suppose to be the one Mclaren that was super over engineered and most have near zero issues with them. I am always cautious that every car I buy "Must" have some type of CPO warranty. I now track once a month and knowing that a warranty is there to take care of the larger things that could go wrong is where I want to be.

Its a real shame that dealers want new owners to pay for the warranty and they range from 6-9k on top of the price for 1 year. I was so close to pulling the trigger on a killer deal on a LT in Chicago back in late June and it all came down to the warranty which they would not budge on. I am very confident that the 675's will go back up in price in the future which is why finding a high spec, lowish miles car is on my list.
Reading the tea leaves, 675 and 720s have started to sneak back up. 720 coupe is essentially done. They aren’t making anymore. This year it’s a few spiders and 765. No spiders after next year also. Then in 2022 you have the 720 replacement. My buddy was offered 40k more on trade in for his 720 toward a 765 than he was for a trade in in December. Not sure how real it is but maybe mclaren is concentrating on higher end cars only. Shift in strategy perhaps?

Quick Reply: McLaren Success