Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 11:24 AM
G.Irish
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
I don't understand the positioning of the Senna and the new speedtail . Which one is the P1 replacement?
Neither. McLaren is just making hypercars to fill different hypercar niches, not necessarily making straight successors to the P1 or F1. The Senna is an all-out track performance machine, whereas the Speedtail is a top speed GT in the same vein as the Veyron/Chiron, albeit with less of the brute force approach.

I have to think that we'll see more of these 100-500 unit hypercars hitting the market in the next 10 years since all of the supercar makers have figured out that the typical hypercar customer is pretty price insensitive and competition isn't as thick in that segment. If you're making a junior supercar you'd have to content with the 570S, 911 Turbo/GT3/GT3RS, R8, Huracan, Vantage, NSX, etc. If you make a hypercar, in any given year there may only be one or two of those on the market. Obviously you can't offer a hypercar every single year, but I think there's enough demand for them to hit the market more often than every 10 years or so like it was in the past.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:45 AM
hets72
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by G.Irish
Neither. McLaren is just making hypercars to fill different hypercar niches, not necessarily making straight successors to the P1 or F1. The Senna is an all-out track performance machine, whereas the Speedtail is a top speed GT in the same vein as the Veyron/Chiron, albeit with less of the brute force approach.

I have to think that we'll see more of these 100-500 unit hypercars hitting the market in the next 10 years since all of the supercar makers have figured out that the typical hypercar customer is pretty price insensitive and competition isn't as thick in that segment. If you're making a junior supercar you'd have to content with the 570S, 911 Turbo/GT3/GT3RS, R8, Huracan, Vantage, NSX, etc. If you make a hypercar, in any given year there may only be one or two of those on the market. Obviously you can't offer a hypercar every single year, but I think there's enough demand for them to hit the market more often than every 10 years or so like it was in the past.
I think these "limited edition" of hypercars early of a model cycle (e.g. Senna etc. and also Lambo had done before) are the best way for companies to get development $$'s back quickly so the mass market products are more profitable.....e.g. how much more expensive is a Senna to Produce than a fully carbon fiber optioned 720S? I don't know but might not be 3X the cost....
Old 10-31-2018, 12:06 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,266 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by wegentop
Can I have some advice?
Performante , 720s or 600LT

I have test drive the Performante the other day, it’s a great car fun to drive, but the cabin just very Audi ish to me which is no-no for me.

I love the way McLaren developed the 720s and interior to me is just nicely done, but I haven’t be able to test drive it yet and it’s out of my budget if I wanna purchase new, so the dealer has asked me if I will be interest in 600LT.

Anyone who have driven both 720s and Performante please share the thought? Would you go for 600lt ? Or just purchase used 720s ?
I went through this exact same decision just a few weeks ago. I ended up buying a 720s which should be arriving any day now.

With the 600LT- you are going to be close to 300k when all is said and done and for that money, Id rather have the Mclaren Super Series their top dog normal production car instead of a souped up 600LT. For me, the purpose of the car was not to track, Im not a track junkie- but more of a weekend exotic, drive around town with friends and take my wife out to a nice evening kind of guy. The comfort of the 720 beat the 600LT. No doubt the LT will be an engaging car but id rather spend 300k on a 720 with its mind blowing performance than the 600lt which is more track oriented.

With regards to the performante- love love loved the car. It drove great, very engaging, very fun. But the interior is a dogs ***. Too gimmicky - and plastic. Also, Lambos are not good cars for tall guys. I just didnt fit comfortably in the car. So I said adios to the car for now. Maybe pick one up in the future to have a V8 turbo and an NA combo. My other car is a 488 and am keeping that for now but will see what happens.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:08 PM
G.Irish
Racer

Originally Posted by hets72
I think these "limited edition" of hypercars early of a model cycle (e.g. Senna etc. and also Lambo had done before) are the best way for companies to get development $$'s back quickly so the mass market products are more profitable.....e.g. how much more expensive is a Senna to Produce than a fully carbon fiber optioned 720S? I don't know but might not be 3X the cost....
Right on the money. Especially when you consider that McLaren uses the same basic engine across their entire lineup. If all they're doing is changing the boost map and some plumbing, they've eliminated a huge part of the cost for a hypercar. Not to mention that they share the same basic carbon tub across models too.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:31 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by G.Irish
Right on the money. Especially when you consider that McLaren uses the same basic engine across their entire lineup. If all they're doing is changing the boost map and some plumbing, they've eliminated a huge part of the cost for a hypercar. Not to mention that they share the same basic carbon tub across models too.
I understand and agree your point but remember the 720S lump has 41% different components than the 650S, lots of lighter internal stuff and quicker spinning twin scroll blowers.

Have to say the McLaren engines are proving to be bullet proof which is fantastic and gives a lot of confidence for me, I find the talk of two year duration oil changes a little scary.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:15 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
I understand and agree your point but remember the 720S lump has 41% different components than the 650S, lots of lighter internal stuff and quicker spinning twin scroll blowers.

Have to say the McLaren engines are proving to be bullet proof which is fantastic and gives a lot of confidence for me, I find the talk of two year duration oil changes a little scary.
Don't forget that the 720S has a 4.0 engine. 720S is more appealing to me than the 600LT. And 720S spyders are coming very soon and plenty of 720S will be available as new discounted leftovers for cars on the floor and same with the pre owned sector.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:18 AM
G.Irish
Racer

Yeah the engines are not exactly the same but McLaren is saving a lot of cost just the same. It appears they bet that their customer base wouldn't care too much that their hypercar shares the same basic engine as their entry level model, and they were right.

You bring up a good point about reliability. Another benefit of spreading one engine across the lineup is that it vastly reduces the testing surface and chances of design flaws, teething issues, support costs, etc. Much easier to change out some rods and turbos and run some tests with the banked knowledge about the rest of the engine that isn't changing.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:50 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Finally!! 720 arrives tomorrow!!!!

now about those Montana plates....
Old 11-01-2018, 10:03 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

TB, knowing how persnickety you are with cars heatsoaking, have you noticed any change when the car is driven hard for extended periods? I ask because I think there were a few comments about the cars losing power on track (as always happy to be corrected this isn't the case).
Old 11-02-2018, 12:15 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 759 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
Finally!! 720 arrives tomorrow!!!!

now about those Montana plates....
Let me know if you need a ride to Montana. I'm sure we could fly up and grab lunch while you get plates and new condo. You will probably wear that 720 out before I ever get my 3RS.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:31 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

^ thats' funny
I would fly to you just so I can hop on your plane with yippie and go buy his condo and get plates.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:37 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
^ thats' funny
I would fly to you just so I can hop on your plane with yippie and go buy his condo and get plates.
we can make a stop and pick up a few Pateks on the way. Joe, get that plane fired up! Let’s do it!
Old 11-02-2018, 08:54 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by enduro911
TB, knowing how persnickety you are with cars heatsoaking, have you noticed any change when the car is driven hard for extended periods? I ask because I think there were a few comments about the cars losing power on track (as always happy to be corrected this isn't the case).
All nannies on will make it feel heat soaked after a lap or less.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:14 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by enduro911
I used to be interested in heat soak in relation to high speed acceleration which Mclaren seem to have nailed with a 0-300 in 19.4s for the 720S..... Track work is much tougher, particularly tracks with low speed short straights, I wouldn't be surprised if what you say is true as it is for most standard turbo cars. I would love to know what technology McLaren use in their intercooling, I've not managed to learn anything yet.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:09 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Finally!

Quick Reply: McLaren Success