Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 12:15 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
I checked 675LT asking prices over the weekend out of curiosity, and I was surprised to see that they appear to have risen markedly lately (at least at the bottom end of the ask range).
Some are rising, and some of the cars with high miles/bad specs moved at a discount. Some of the more desirable cars dealers are sitting on them, and it’s about 20ish cars for sale that’s it.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:20 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
My friend had a 720S that he sold because of all of the problems he had. His water pump started to leak, car wouldn’t recognize his key (had to have the car towed 3 times because he couldn’t get into it) radio wouldn’t work ( he would shut off the engine and restart it and it would work again) wipers quit working, the back up camera would occasionally work, alarm would go off at night when parked in his garage, occasionally the doors wouldn’t open from the inside, Bluetooth would drop calls, front trunk release quit working, and complete suspension failure. He was very frustrated with the car. His wife was not amused when they were stuck out in the rain when the car wouldn’t let them in. Many journalists have mentioned the problems they had when reviewing the cars and a Quote from Chris Harris : “Mclaren I love this car .... but you need to start building them properly.”

https://youtu.be/tcf6pYvirbg
Love the 720S drove one for a week, and was happy to get my 675LT back because it’s angry not as fast but more fun. My fav 675LT video.

Old 08-03-2020, 12:57 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,051 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by SSO
One McLaren owner and two non-McLaren owners......
and your point is ????
Old 08-03-2020, 01:03 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
and your point is ????
everyone has a “friend” with a mclaren horror story. I have a “friend” who had a 991.1 GT3 and he had an engine issue. You may have heard about this particular issue?
Old 08-03-2020, 01:28 PM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Received 662 Likes on 277 Posts

My .2 3 RS was in the shop twice for almost a month and had to have a PDK replaced with less than 200 miles. Faulty unit from the get go. I will say PCNA was awesome about it. They covered parts and labor for some extras while the car was there to the tune of $600 and added an additional two years of full factory warranty for a total of six years. So I was happy. Car has been perfect ever since with 7K miles now on the clock.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:48 PM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

I don't haven a dog in this fight meaning I'm not going to bad mouth the good or bad about experiences owners have had. I was very tempted on a 720S and was really close to pulling the trigger. What I found helpful was reading McLaren Life forum and asking lots of questions. Point here - go in with eyes wide open. Learned quite a bit and even spoke to some owners as a result. Their stories were similar to those here - some good some not. The one theme I did hear was around find a car with a 3500 VIN (last 4 digits) or higher. McLaren seemed to work out many of the gremlins in later VINs I was told.

Test drove a few newer 720s Spiders and they were amazing. Granted not an RS, although they did have their own personality. I felt the comfort, exhaust note (surprisingly good) and rush of torque and speed was exhilarating.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming ...
Old 08-03-2020, 02:42 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,030 Likes on 5,242 Posts

Originally Posted by moab
everyone has a “friend” with a mclaren horror story. I have a “friend” who had a 991.1 GT3 and he had an engine issue. You may have heard about this particular issue?
I have a "friend" who had a problem with his Camry.

Does that count?

#AllFriendsMatter
Old 08-03-2020, 03:01 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

^That's a good one...can we consider closing this thread?
Old 08-03-2020, 03:40 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

You have the right to your opinion but when my close friend has to call me to pick him up because he can't get into his car.... well you can think what you want to think. Everyone who has driven a Mclaren will tell you that they are awesome cars...but Mclaren does have some serious quality control issues that they need to work on. When they do get things right they will be the supercar leaders!
Old 08-03-2020, 04:07 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by SSO
One McLaren owner and two non-McLaren owners......
Makes sense. They're McLaren non-owners for their clearly stated reasons. If only McLaren owner's opinions counted then that set would be strongly positively biased. Why would someone continue owning a car only to keep complaining about it?
The following users liked this post:
Napoli (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 06:01 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,271 Likes on 946 Posts

I don’t know what’s more tiring. Reading the arguments about whether Mclaren is reliable or not or finding yet another thread asking what the value of a GT car will be in two years.

FWIW- 2018 720 mclaren with almost 5000 miles. Gorilla glass replaced twice on passenger side. Had one time where a check engine light came on a few months ago. Took it in and they didn’t find anything and issue has resolved. Had a suspension lift error that came on last year but it went away with no further problems. That’s about it.

No doubt some owners have had issues and that is unfortunate but my personal experience has been positive. They are no longer making 720 coupes and very few spiders. My friend was actually offered 40k more on a trade in toward a 765 than he was back in December- take it fwiw.

I’m keeping 720 as a long term keeper. Will not buy extended warranty as I agree with Waxer that it’s a rip off.

Enjoy your rides gents and have a great day.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:50 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,051 Likes on 601 Posts

sometimes it is not worth responding to some of the comments
Old 08-03-2020, 07:00 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I have a "friend" who had a problem with his Camry.

Does that count?

#AllFriendsMatter
No.

Camrys are reliable and out lyres don’t count. They also don’t cost six figures and Toyota doesn’t bang you $1500 a year for required service to tell you alls good and then ask $5000 a year for a warranty​​​​​.

I have no doubt many Mac owners love their cars and have had a great experience. If Mac wants to project that is the rule and not the exception stop the rip off charges and show you have confidence in your own damn product.

Shame. I love to buy a 570 Spyder. They have made it a poor purchase choice imho from a financial standpoint and refuse to change the dynamic.

I work to hard for my money to help underwrite their luxury F1 aspirations. Not my money.

Last edited by Waxer; 08-03-2020 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:05 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
You have the right to your opinion but when my close friend has to call me to pick him up because he can't get into his car.... well you can think what you want to think. Everyone who has driven a Mclaren will tell you that they are awesome cars...but Mclaren does have some serious quality control issues that they need to work on. When they do get things right they will be the supercar leaders!
Originally Posted by Waxer
No.

Camrys are reliable and out lyres don’t count. They also don’t cost six figures and Toyota doesn’t bang you $1500 a year for required service to tell you alls good and then ask $5000 a year for a warranty​​​​​.
​​​​​​​

For both you and Waxer, I wouldn't suggest Ferrari then either

On OEM battery I expect the Fcar to die within 3 days or less, especially if not sucking on the tender 24/7 when not driven

Ferrari warranty once 3 year is done - I think is 5k/yr for V8 which I paid, and 7k/yr for V12? Rife with exclusions

I've heard stories of Fcars with wheels coming off on track even though lugs were checked, batteries dying, cars in limp mode due to low voltage, brake/ABS/AVH issues that are very concerning, passenger airbags exploding when wheel bottoms out, PTU issues on the FF, sticky buttons, yadda yadda

New 7 year maintenance pack for Ferrari 2019 MY and up, allegedly Ferrari is now being way more stingy with what is "free"

812/488 depreciation hits harder than prime Mike Tyson right now

Point is I think I could bore into all those issues a hell of a lot more too, if I wanted to. I don't see this as exclusive to McLaren, but rather the game you'll play if you want a supercar (not a sports car)

Seems like some have a bone to pick or want to feel secure tooting their GT3/RS horn at the expense of the exotics. For what it's worth I'm still having more fun and enjoying my Fcar, given all of that, as a special occasion and event way more than any of my 911s, and I'd imagine some Mac owners feel the same way

Bottom line is you gotta pay to play or stay on the sidelines
Old 08-03-2020, 07:16 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino

For both you and Waxer, I wouldn't suggest Ferrari then either

On OEM battery I expect the Fcar to die within 3 days or less, especially if not sucking on the tender 24/7 when not driven

Ferrari warranty once 3 year is done - I think is 5k/yr for V8 which I paid, and 7k/yr for V12? Rife with exclusions

I've heard stories of Fcars with wheels coming off on track even though lugs were checked, batteries dying, cars in limp mode due to low voltage, brake/ABS/AVH issues that are very concerning, passenger airbags exploding when wheel bottoms out, PTU issues on the FF, sticky buttons, yadda yadda

New 7 year maintenance pack for Ferrari 2019 MY and up, allegedly Ferrari is now being way more stingy with what is "free"

812/488 depreciation hits harder than prime Mike Tyson right now

Point is I think I could bore into all those issues a hell of a lot more too, if I wanted to. I don't see this as exclusive to McLaren, but rather the game you'll play if you want a supercar (not a sports car)

Seems like some have a bone to pick or want to feel secure tooting their GT3/RS horn at the expense of the exotics. For what it's worth I'm still having more fun and enjoying my Fcar, given all of that, as a special occasion and event way more than any of my 911s, and I'd imagine some Mac owners feel the same way

Bottom line is you gotta pay to play or stay on the sidelines
F cars don’t do anything for me. Beautiful to look at but just not me. Also, Ferrari is in a MUCH different position than Mac. For many reasons they can command rip off money for the Ferrari ownership experience. Fortunately, for me I have no interest on their cars. 😎

I will say Ferrari’s are more mainstream today and have gained a general reputation for reliability but still expensive to fix out of warranty.

I would also say Porsche GT cars are exotics and damn reliable ones at that with a lower cost of ownership.

Last edited by Waxer; 08-03-2020 at 07:30 PM.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success