Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 07:39 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 9914s
STG you will be a lot happier here.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...iscussion-175/
FYI even corvette forum is moving and locking every tread that complains about no manual transmission on the C8.
Corvetteforum.com is also a MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands and I find it interesting that moderators find it important to aggressively enforce content in sub-forums. Whether this is a matter of good housekeeping or, if there is a financial reason for doing so might be an interesting question for someone who cares that subject matter straying from GT3s are moved and, that the rule isn't enforced uniformly as evident by this thread.

Anyways, that website has exploded in the C8 subsection with two pages or about 125-150 threads current as of today without checking the number of additional threads that were commented as recently as yesterday. Of course, MSRP and ADM is a subject of discussion over there as well and, it's nuts to think anyone would pay more than MSRP for a car that will be as ubiquitous as sand:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ifornia-2.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...alerships.html

I think the C8 will be a game changer for the sports car industry for the next 5-10 years. Selling a C8 with GT3 levels of performance for a third of the price absolutely will impact the competition. Who is going to want to buy a comparably priced Supra, M2 or Z4 when they can get a better car in the form of a C8 for the same money? Who is will want to buy a Boxster, Cayman, 911, 911 GT3 at the prices we have been paying when there is an comparable option 50% to 70% more affordable. The C8 most likely wont have the fit and finish of our GT3s. But, for the price, I think a lot of people including myself are considering buying American for the first time in a long time or, ever. It begs the question, is a GT3 worth $100,000 - $130,000 more than a C8? I'm not so sure.

Maybe this car will have the effect of forcing Porsche to reduce the pricing of their underlying cars or, the very expensive options we're used to paying for in order to keep our business. Or, maybe Porsche will just keep printing money off the Macans and Cayennes we buy.

Dan (owns a Macan and a Cayenne that shares space with a GT3)
The following 3 users liked this post by hfm:
Bill_76 (07-23-2019), porschedood5000 (07-23-2019), thebishman (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 07:45 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
The Scottsdale Mclaren dealership has been sold to Mike Ward of Denver.
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
I guess he told everyone on Instagram. I assumed everyone here would have known too. I believe this was arranged in May.
interesting, I’m not much for social media so I didn’t know. surprised he sold it. thank you
Old 07-23-2019, 07:55 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm

I think the C8 will be a game changer for the sports car industry for the next 5-10 years. Selling a C8 with GT3 levels of performance for a third of the price absolutely will impact the competition. Who is going to want to buy a comparably priced Supra, M2 or Z4 when they can get a better car in the form of a C8 for the same money? Who is will want to buy a Boxster, Cayman, 911, 911 GT3 at the prices we have been paying when there is an comparable option 50% to 70% more affordable. The C8 most likely wont have the fit and finish of our GT3s. But, for the price, I think a lot of people including myself are considering buying American for the first time in a long time or, ever. It begs the question, is a GT3 worth $100,000 - $130,000 more than a C8? I'm not so sure.

Maybe this car will have the effect of forcing Porsche to reduce the pricing of their underlying cars or, the very expensive options we're used to paying for in order to keep our business. Or, maybe Porsche will just keep printing money off the Macans and Cayennes we buy.

Dan (owns a Macan and a Cayenne that shares space with a GT3)
I have to disagree, especially with the highlighted portion above.

The Corvette, either C7 or C8, has always offered performance at bargain basement prices. It was and is the king of QPR. This was true for the C7 vis-a-vis the 991 GT3/RS, and is probably going to be true with the C8 vis-a-vis the 992 GT3/RS.

The only thing that has changed is the placement of the engine. GM moving the engine from in front of your toes to the back of your head does not somehow make the Corvette revolutionary, or as hoi polloi like to say "a game changer!" Most guys (and gals) outside of the keyboard warriors on RL (with full genuflecting to @TRAKCAR and those of his ilk) don't really buy a Porsche GT car to track, and most of the Corvette buyers don't really plan on tracking their cars either. Most buyers (and I stress, most, again with a nod and apologies to guys like @TRAKCAR ), these cars (either GT3/RS or a Vette of some form) are aspirational objects.

Some guy who just hit it big on his first VC investment isn't going to forgo his Porsche GT3 simply because there's a Vette out there that has the same performance for 2/3 of the price (yes, 2/3, cuz no way a base C8 will be on par with a GT3/RS). Take for example, Steph Curry -- he of the one with a GT3 RS. You think Curry is going to go, "****, no way will I want the 992 GT3 RS, cuz, y'know I can get a C8 for 2/3 of the price and save myself a whole $50,000! Yippee!"

No ******* way.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:03 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I have to disagree, especially with the highlighted portion above.

The Corvette, either C7 or C8, has always offered performance at bargain basement prices. It was and is the king of QPR. This was true for the C7 vis-a-vis the 991 GT3/RS, and is probably going to be true with the C8 vis-a-vis the 992 GT3/RS.

The only thing that has changed is the placement of the engine. GM moving the engine from in front of your toes to the back of your head does not somehow make the Corvette revolutionary, or as hoi polloi like to say "a game changer!" Most guys (and gals) outside of the keyboard warriors on RL (with full genuflecting to @TRAKCAR and those of his ilk) don't really buy a Porsche GT car to track, and most of the Corvette buyers don't really plan on tracking their cars either. Most buyers (and I stress, most, again with a nod and apologies to guys like @TRAKCAR ), these cars (either GT3/RS or a Vette of some form) are aspirational objects.

Some guy who just hit it big on his first VC investment isn't going to forgo his Porsche GT3 simply because there's a Vette out there that has the same performance for 2/3 of the price (yes, 2/3, cuz no way a base C8 will be on par with a GT3/RS). Take for example, Steph Curry -- he of the one with a GT3 RS. You think Curry is going to go, "****, no way will I want the 992 GT3 RS, cuz, y'know I can get a C8 for 2/3 of the price and save myself a whole $50,000! Yippee!"

No ******* way.
No doubt, there will be people who buy a Porsche because they're a genuine track rat or because they want to roll down to the local coffee shop sporting a huge, overpriced, wing. You're the former. Me, we'll I was just happy to do a track day with you once and, a number of canyon runs with other RLers but, I absolutely fall into the class who doesn't spend a lot of track time and, yes, I'll likely get another GT3 in the future. But, I can't say I wont buy a C8. I never even considered a Corvette until this model. And, I wouldn't consider 1st year regardless. We all know about C7 issues and, with them basically using the same engine, adding a dry sump and calling it a LT2 isn't very encouraging when one does a simple search: ttps://www.google.com/search?q=c7+o...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Dan (hopes you've been doing well, let's get coffee sometime)
Old 07-23-2019, 08:18 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

I take my GT3rs to the malibu canyons almost every weekend im in LA. Last two times ive posted on rennlist have been crickets. Don't really care but less typing and more driving is the way to go. Not really interested in debating corvette vs 911...I prefer 911 for many reasons and yes build quality and engineering is at the top of the list.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:32 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by richk
I take my GT3rs to the malibu canyons almost every weekend im in LA. Last two times ive posted on rennlist have been crickets. Don't really care but less typing and more driving is the way to go. Not really interested in debating corvette vs 911...I prefer 911 for many reasons and yes build quality and engineering is at the top of the list.
I started a few runs on this forum and a bunch on a different forum but, stopped doing it when the turn out trickled. It's pretty fun when 10-30 like enthusiasts show up for a canyon run and, I was looking forward to a meet up trip in Monterey taking route 33. Setting up a west coast version of the Tail of the Dragon the east coasters do with a meet up of Nor. Cal and So. Cal in Monterey would be epic. Unfortunately these days, I'm just not as motivated as I used to be to set such things up. Maybe someone will and, I might add my name to that kind of a get together.

Dan (stopped setting up runs after only a buddy showed up for a planned get together)
Old 07-23-2019, 08:36 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

I think cars like the C8 have a bigger potential to hurt the resale market for many Porsche models. There are many first time buyers who only have a budget of $70K-$100K. Pre-owned 991.1 Carrera S's that are 7 years old, etc ... Even 2014 GT3's are well over $100K. Now if you have that kind of money to spend, would you buy an out of warranty Porsche that has some age on it, or custom order a brand new C8 for much less than 2014 GT3 $$???

Like who would even buy a new 4 banger 718 for the same cash??

If Corvette can market the C8 and improve the brand image while opening up the buyers pool, it will compete nicely against the others.
The following users liked this post:
porschedood5000 (07-24-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 09:39 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 712 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
If this had a Corvette badge, it would be getting criticized as well.
The Tributo styling is less controversial than the new SF90. It’s hugely unfair to compare a $60k car with a $500k, but people seem to be saying the C8 looks like a Ferrari (?). Aside from both being mid-engine, there is very little in common to my eyes.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:07 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I’m just interested in how the C8R is going to do in IMSA next year....
Old 07-23-2019, 10:16 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,243 Likes on 610 Posts

Yes- sold the dealership so I don't have to commute as much- was spending 2-3 days in PHX and 4-5 days working at the Porsche/BMW/Audi dealerships. Still love the cars but if all I do is work, no way to enjoy my family or cars etc.

My senna shows up friday finally.
The following 3 users liked this post by C.J. Ichiban:
evilfij (07-24-2019), Vintage72 (07-24-2019), yesyoucan (07-23-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 12:49 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
Corvetteforum.com is also a MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands and I find it interesting that moderators find it important to aggressively enforce content in sub-forums. Whether this is a matter of good housekeeping or, if there is a financial reason for doing so might be an interesting question for someone who cares that subject matter straying from GT3s are moved and, that the rule isn't enforced uniformly as evident by this thread
I merged and moved the threads. Points, myself and other mods had a chat about it. No IB employees are included in such conversations. This has nothing to do with IB, the Corvette forum, or this thread.
I don't work for IB (this is an un-paid volunteer position) and I don't take orders from them either. In fact, I often disagree with their representatives and bug them constantly to change / add features that I feel will make this a better forum.
What happens on the Corvette forum is up to the Corvette forum, I don't moderate that place.

When a hot topic spreads like herpes through a spring break party, we often stack them together like this until the dust settles. It doesn't happen often.

Once these are out in the wild, people actually drive one and can give first hand comparisons between the C8 and X Porsche, that will be a different story.

Originally Posted by STG
Funny thing is, had there been a bunch of bashing on the C8 instead of a lot of interest and positive comments the threads would still be on this forum instead of being buried in the "Other Marques" section.
Your tin foil hat is on a bit too tight again I see.
Buried? It's right out in the open. Buried would have been moving it to Off Topic where only paid members have access to.

As for my involvement in the Corvette world, I spent most of Sunday at the Corvette Corral at Road America since many of my old friends are in the local Corvette club (my father was President in said club in 73). I've spent several years pit-crewing for a small Corvette team managed by an old friend.
To insinuate my actions were in any way dictated by my love for Porsche and protecting the marque is a joke. You've contacted me before when you've had an issue with something around here, but not this one.......
I'm thinking you just like stirring the pot with this subject.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:04 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
I merged and moved the threads. Points, myself and other mods had a chat about it. No IB employees are included in such conversations. This has nothing to do with IB, the Corvette forum, or this thread.
I don't work for IB (this is an un-paid volunteer position) and I don't take orders from them either. In fact, I often disagree with their representatives and bug them constantly to change / add features that I feel will make this a better forum.
What happens on the Corvette forum is up to the Corvette forum, I don't moderate that place.

When a hot topic spreads like herpes through a spring break party, we often stack them together like this until the dust settles. It doesn't happen often.

Once these are out in the wild, people actually drive one and can give first hand comparisons between the C8 and X Porsche, that will be a different story.
Housekeeping it is. Thanks for letting us know.

Dan (likes knowing)
Old 07-24-2019, 01:55 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
The Tributo styling is less controversial than the new SF90. It’s hugely unfair to compare a $60k car with a $500k, but people seem to be saying the C8 looks like a Ferrari (?). Aside from both being mid-engine, there is very little in common to my eyes.

Ferrari is so much more beautifully styled but I really think the C8 can be a game changer if Chevy doesn't muck it up with the reliability dealer service experience etc.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:09 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Yes- sold the dealership so I don't have to commute as much- was spending 2-3 days in PHX and 4-5 days working at the Porsche/BMW/Audi dealerships. Still love the cars but if all I do is work, no way to enjoy my family or cars etc.

Long commutes are such a drag when you have young kids. Are you still getting a Pista?

J
Old 07-24-2019, 10:53 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,875 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

Did they fix the paint?

Quick Reply: McLaren Success