Sponsored by:

911R Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 03:54 PM
BusDriver
Instructor

Received 229 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Softarga
The 997 4.0L was an incredible car, but the RWS and chassis on the 991 changes everything. It's a step function approval for handling. The GT2RS still feels much faster than any Porsche I've driven. Can't wait for the 991 version.
Absolutely agreed. RWS on the 911R is fantastic and the upcoming GT2 RS will be a beast - can't wait!

P.S.: Will be interesting to see what tires the new GT2 RS comes with. Tire technology has moved on since the Cup 2s.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:55 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yesterday I exercised my 997 RS 4.0 for the first time this season. The power is thrillingly explosive, the motor feels inertia free — like the components are spinning in a vacuum — and the howl, induction rasp and exhaust roar are intoxicating. With PSM off but TC on on the car felt exuberantly alive, on its toes but stable, writhing between slight understeer and slight oversteer from as much power as I dared use on the technical mountain road. I’m sure I could have used a fair bit more before triggering the TC but I'm no Chris Harris and the excitement was intense enough without needing to slide it.

The suspension smooths out sharp bumps beautifully but keeps you involved in the undulations and texture of the road, the gearbox can be hefty but is wonderfully mechanical, and short, fast and precise when you get it right. The steering ratio and weight is spot on, it tells you exactly when the front tyres are reaching their limit and it is so responsive that it feels hard-wired to your brain. The ceramic brakes have such perfect response and progression that you hardly realise you are using them.

I prefer the bigger vertical angle of view from the taller glasshouse compared to the later cars. I've not been in an R and only had a brief ride in a 991 RS but from what I could glean of the RS I prefer the more characterful and varied engine harmonics of the Mezger and greater involvement with the road surface from the firmer suspension. My only drive of a later GT car was the GT4 I had for a year. The steering of the 997 is far more natural and informative. My only criticism is the road noise from the rear but you get used to it.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:48 PM
BusDriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by turbofreeFLAT6
Yesterday I exercised my 997 RS 4.0 for the first time this season. The power is thrillingly explosive, the motor feels inertia free — like the components are spinning in a vacuum — and the howl, induction rasp and exhaust roar are intoxicating. With PSM off but TC on on the car felt exuberantly alive, on its toes but stable, writhing between slight understeer and slight oversteer from as much power as I dared use on the technical mountain road. I’m sure I could have used a fair bit more before triggering the TC but I'm no Chris Harris and the excitement was intense enough without needing to slide it.

The suspension smooths out sharp bumps beautifully but keeps you involved in the undulations and texture of the road, the gearbox can be hefty but is wonderfully mechanical, and short, fast and precise when you get it right. The steering ratio and weight is spot on, it tells you exactly when the front tyres are reaching their limit and it is so responsive that it feels hard-wired to your brain. The ceramic brakes have such perfect response and progression that you hardly realise you are using them.

I prefer the bigger vertical angle of view from the taller glasshouse compared to the later cars. I've not been in an R and only had a brief ride in a 991 RS but from what I could glean of the RS I prefer the more characterful and varied engine harmonics of the Mezger and greater involvement with the road surface from the firmer suspension. My only drive of a later GT car was the GT4 I had for a year. The steering of the 997 is far more natural and informative. My only criticism is the road noise from the rear but you get used to it.
Awesome that you are driving and enjoying the 4.0 - it is a fantastic car!
Old 03-30-2017, 01:52 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Originally Posted by BusDriver
Awesome that you are driving and enjoying the 4.0 - it is a fantastic car!
A shame you're in the US and I'm in France. It would be great to get together with the cars. It sounds like Porsche really returned to form with the R and it's manual gearbox, more lively chassis dynamics, reduced sound deadening, and light weight.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:23 PM
BusDriver
Instructor

A shame you're in the US and I'm in France. It would be great to get together with the cars. It sounds like Porsche really returned to form with the R and it's manual gearbox, more lively chassis dynamics, reduced sound deadening, and light weight.
We could meet in Quebec, which I am told is 80 percent of the way to France from the USA

Joking aside, I will be in France for Le Mans this June. But without the 911R.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:22 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Originally Posted by BusDriver
Joking aside, I will be in France for Le Mans this June. But without the 911R.
On my way to the UK I'll be driving past Le Mans on 12th June if you're there early, and on my return going to the PEC there on 13th July for a much delayed day re my GT4 (now sold), but sans RS 4.0.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:11 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Is no-one driving their R or is the R not inspiring more words?
Old 04-23-2017, 07:27 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 974 Likes on 424 Posts

Been too busy driving other cars
Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2017, 07:38 PM
Stockholm996TT
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In the process of running in the car. Will report when done...
Old 04-23-2017, 07:52 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm picking mine up tomorrow morning from its winter repaint.

Driving 350 miles, and through Channel tunnel, to Spa for a trackday (forecast for snow, sleet and rain so could be interesting), then another 450 miles home on Tuesday/Wednesday, via the Rotterdam ferry.
Apart from that, it's a total garage queen ;-)
Old 04-23-2017, 09:19 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

i'm careful not to plaster a thread with posts as I'm so succeptible to doing, but since you asked....

After two track days this thu and fri in addition to 500+ miles of mountain twisties during our Smokies event this weekend, I can probably add a few extra thoughts, even though nothing really new has emerged. This is probably one of the few 911R's in the world being used as Porsche intended. Lots of performance driving, rain, shine, track, road... it really delivers on it's mandate.

I STILL think the top end is not as impressive as it could be.. feels almost rough with the SMFW, and i'll repeat that while I always THOUGHT i was a super smooth shifter, I can't, at low speeds, figure out how to be smooth in the R without using Sport autoblip. The revs drop too fast at normal speeds even for upshifts. HOWEVER.. in performance driving it's a lot easier. I admire anyone who can shift this car smoothly in daily driving without sport blip helping out in up and down shifts.

On the track, I'm probably shifting less than i would with a PDK, and with the R
in our group, with a borrowed car, i'm very careful with my shifts as not redlining and not pushing it is much more important than some extra second gained here and there.. it's all about enjoyment with this one. It's still a joy to drive, very engaging, very balanced, powerful enough, nice quick steering rack but never feeling like the rear is going to bit you as long as your trail-braking into turns is smooth and planned out.

We took the 911R and 2 918's on the Tail of the Dragon.. this is a VERY tight road with 311+ turns in 9 miles.. lots of off camber, camber changes, decreasing radii turns.. a real joy. Clearly, in the 918.. it's just videogame easy. computers doing it all for you, AWD apportioning torque to the right wheel.. you're basically just a passenger.. the 918 always reminds me of those steering wheels parents attach to the back of a front seat to keep the child busy in the back thinking he's driving.. you may be in the passenger seat of a 918.. but you're not actually doing anything of substance except guiding at most... it laughs at you and does it's own thing. I wouldn't call it a disconnect driving experience, but I would.

Anyway.. trying to keep up with a 918 in a 911R.. is a semi-impossible quest. When tires are catching and slipping, the edge feels really really close.. and in a 911, including the 911R... You can't just change your braking line in a turn like you can in a 918 last minute.. you really have to pre-plan it.. super-finesse trail braking, feeling for ABS engagement, feeling for that rear to not want to come around... get on the gas as gently like a squeeze. Tight twisty but wet road, looking ahead at that sport classic grey weissach 918 which just pulls like a train at will.

The best part of a 911 coupe with a GT-spec engine, is that it offers the ability to stretch the gears out without shifting too much, i would get to the braking point right before shifting was required... and was therefore able to focus instead on feeling for the front tires grip which was paramount in damp conditions. it gives you focus.

What i can say is that it is SUCH a well-balanced car. progressive NA power, leggy ratios when necessary, quick steering, low weight, strong brakes, strong acceleration... I can't imagine a 911 experience being better resolved or more pure. It's not the fastest.. I would more easily have kept up with the 918 in an RS with a wider front track and PDK... but I would have not chosen it still. At the end of the 9 mile drive on the Dragon.. i was absolutely drenched in sweat (or was it rain from the open windows)... and while, yes, I to lost to the 918 after awhile.. for those miles... that 911R danced for me and with me, and i fell more in love with it for it.

I fly back to west coast soon and leave these wunder-machines behind.. but this makes me relish the opportunity for my upcoming gt3.2 with the manual and a higher revving engine. that will be my version of perfection.

a few pics to add color to the post... (because without pics it didn't happen right?)

Last edited by CAlexio; 04-24-2017 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:33 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 974 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I STILL think the top end is not as impressive as it could be.. feels almost rough with the SMFW, and i'll repeat that while I always THOUGHT i was a super smooth shifter, I can't, at low speeds, figure out how to be smooth in the R without using Sport autoblip. The revs drop too fast at normal speeds even for upshifts. HOWEVER.. in performance driving it's a lot easier. I admire anyone who can shift this car smoothly in daily driving without sport blip helping out in up and down shifts.
Very interesting. I actually find the SMFW 6 speed on my R was very easy to shift smoothly. But coming from CGT, every car feels SLOW in terms of engine rev drop. On the Boxster Spyder 6 speed, it feels like an eternality compared to the CGT.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:42 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Very interesting. I actually find the SMFW 6 speed on my R was very easy to shift smoothly. But coming from CGT, every car feels SLOW in terms of engine rev drop. On the Boxster Spyder 6 speed, it feels like an eternality compared to the CGT.
yes, i also own a 981 Spyder and have considered adding a slightly lighter flywheel.. sharkwerks makes one... i appreciate a fast revving engine, and all my bikes have lightened flywheels. Somehow, I can't get it right on the R. it's not an indightment on the car though.. its my skill which is lacking.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:46 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for your input Alex. Always enjoy your comments.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:53 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Enjoyed reading that Alex. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 911R Driving Impressions