Sponsored by:

911R Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 07:11 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos993
Fully agree about the 993 driving DNA in the 911R.

Very nice mural-sized Porsche photos/posters in your garage.
Thx - love your fleet! Incredible.
Jeff
Old 10-19-2017, 02:19 PM
BusDriver
Instructor

Received 222 Likes on 64 Posts

Seems like the release of GT3 manual/touring has rekindled debate on the 911R’s driving experience versus that of the GT3. While I have not driven the 911 GT3 manual touring yet (has anybody outside the factory?), but I have good experience with the 991.1 GT3 and GT3 RS, and various versions of the 997 GT3 and GT3 RS.

Here are a few thoughts …

The R is unique in being a much more playful car than any GT3 or RS. Firstly, the 911R is much looser – better turn-in agility, much easier to kick the tail light out, and spin up the rear tires. Secondly, the 911R feels even lighter than it is – from a combination of the actual light weight, single mass flywheel, light gear shift and steering, and very pointy chassis and RWS calibration. Thirdly, the 911R is a seriously noiser car – all the stripped sound insulation means that you hear everything.

A GT3/GT3 RS is altogether a much more serious buttoned-down track oriented car. Comparatively, the R is hilariously loose and unstable (especially under braking) and twice the work. But also twice as fun, laying rubber stripes on every corner exit.

Overall, if you are into 911s and want the ultimate modern one, then there is no other choice than the 911R. Otherwise just get a GT3 manual, and you will have plenty of fun and never care or know the difference (just don’t ever drive a 911 R!!).

[BTW, I saw the other 911 R thread, but am commenting here so my posts are in one place - hope thats ok]
Old 10-20-2017, 02:23 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of Rs having their first birthday around now, though it seems longer.
Good you are still enjoying yours as much as ever. I'm sure a lot of us feel the same way.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:09 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
Lots of Rs having their first birthday around now, though it seems longer.
Good you are still enjoying yours as much as ever. I'm sure a lot of us feel the same way.
Yep - I am trying to figure out how to get my day done earlier today to start the weekend - keys I am most looking forward to grabbing? The 911R...
Old 10-20-2017, 04:05 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Really enjoy reading the commentary from 911 R owners. I'd like to see more of these on the road being driven. The 911 Touring isn't a 911 R, but there is bona fide lineage to it.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:11 PM
DJM48
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JCBH
Yep - I am trying to figure out how to get my day done earlier today to start the weekend - keys I am most looking forward to grabbing? The 911R...

The only car I have ever owned which encourages me to get out of bed early and take the long way to work

Old 10-20-2017, 06:16 PM
TylerCoupe
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 47 Posts

[QUOTE=WernerE;14548509]Really enjoy reading the commentary from 911 R owners. I'd like to see more of these on the road being driven. The 911 Touring isn't a 911 R, but there is bona fide lineage to it.

I think the Touring will be a great car and look forward to driving impressions from the new owners when they start to arrive in a few months.

I think the same of the R which I own - accumulated 450 miles on it over last three weeks.

I expect the drivers of these cars will have a smile on their face - permanently. I also expect each car to offer up a different driving experience...both rewarding in its own way.

I stay away from all of the repetitive discussion on value as it is subjective and fluid.

Congrats to all of the GT3 owners that are just getting the first deliveries in the US.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:22 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Why would the R clutch feel dramatically lighter than almost any sports car in production?.. and definitely lighter than any other "street" Porsche anyone here has driven?
Is it boosted like the 997 turbo clutch?
Old 10-21-2017, 08:23 AM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BusDriver

The R is unique in being a much more playful car than any GT3 or RS. Firstly, the 911R is much looser – better turn-in agility, much easier to kick the tail light out, and spin up the rear tires. Secondly, the 911R feels even lighter than it is – from a combination of the actual light weight, single mass flywheel, light gear shift and steering, and very pointy chassis and RWS calibration. Thirdly, the 911R is a seriously noiser car – all the stripped sound insulation means that you hear everything.

A GT3/GT3 RS is altogether a much more serious buttoned-down track oriented car. Comparatively, the R is hilariously loose and unstable (especially under braking) and twice the work. But also twice as fun, laying rubber stripes on every corner exit.

Overall, if you are into 911s and want the ultimate modern one, then there is no other choice than the 911R. Otherwise just get a GT3 manual, and you will have plenty of fun and never care or know the difference (just don’t ever drive a 911 R!!).
It sounds like Porsche have recreated the classic 911 driving experience. Why do they ration it out to so few these days? By making the 911 feel more mid-engined in every readily available model they risk people forgetting why it is so interesting to drive.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:21 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

I think the top gear guy who ran the 911R back to back with the gt3 shared a view the gt3.2 was noisier ? Forget if it was road noise, engine noise or what.

Seems like the release of GT3 manual/touring has rekindled debate on the 911R’s driving experience versus that of the GT3. While I have not driven the 911 GT3 manual touring yet (has anybody outside the factory?), but I have good experience with the 991.1 GT3 and GT3 RS, and various versions of the 997 GT3 and GT3 RS.

[BTW, I saw the other 911 R thread, but am commenting here so my posts are in one place - hope thats ok]
Old 10-21-2017, 09:51 AM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Good points!!

i am sure the 991R is more unstable and more 911 classic feel than 991 GT3/RS but against 997 GT3/RS ...?
Old 10-21-2017, 11:02 AM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DK7
Good points!!

i am sure the 991R is more unstable and more 911 classic feel than 991 GT3/RS but against 997 GT3/RS ...?
From what I've read about the R on this thread I gather that while the R, like all 991s, has more inherent stability, the suspension is softer than in the 997 RSs and the RWS is calibrated to maximise turn in. In combination this makes the rear much more reactive to weight transfer from throttle inputs than other 991s. However now that I think about it, that's only half the traditional 911 experience, the other half being managing the understeer.

It would be great to hear more from those who have driven both.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:32 AM
Marto
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

....The R is unique in being a much more playful car than any GT3 or RS. Firstly, the 911R is much looser – better turn-in agility, much easier to kick the tail light out, and spin up the rear tires.....

A GT3/GT3 RS is altogether a much more serious buttoned-down track oriented car. Comparatively, the R is hilariously loose and unstable (especially under braking) and twice the work. But also twice as fun, laying rubber stripes on every corner exit....
I know there are suspension differences but I wonder if those looking for some sort of R facsimile from the Touring would gain some of this looseness / playfulness by ditching the PSC2 in favour of MPS4+ or some other more road oriented tyre? I understand the new Dunlops are more road biased than the Michelins.... or drive more in the rain
Old 10-21-2017, 12:29 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldmxnut
I think the top gear guy who ran the 911R back to back with the gt3 shared a view the gt3.2 was noisier ? Forget if it was road noise, engine noise or what.
To compensate for this engine not being able to be mated to a LWFW they took out more sound deadening material on the .2 GT3.

The .2 GT3 will be louder than the R and the previous .1.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:23 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Marto
I know there are suspension differences but I wonder if those looking for some sort of R facsimile from the Touring would gain some of this looseness / playfulness by ditching the PSC2 in favour of MPS4+ or some other more road oriented tyre? I understand the new Dunlops are more road biased than the Michelins.... or drive more in the rain
And replicate the alignment settings. At the most the only other difference is RWS calibration but I personally doubt that’s substantially different.

Nobody has driven a GT3T back to back with 911R, so then we will see.

Quick Reply: 911R Driving Impressions